Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,424 members, 7,800,900 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:46 AM

Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers (28933 Views)

Killing Of Fulani Herdsmen In Taraba Was Genocide - Nigerian Army General / Senator Abu Ibrahim Escaping Lynching In Katsina (Video) / Senator Abu Ibrahim Escapes Lynching In Kaduna (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by phayvoursky(m): 10:26pm On Dec 17, 2016
Victor Ezegwu, the General Officer Commanding of the Nigerian Army 7 Division in Maimalari, escaped being lynched by rampaging Nigerian soldiers on Friday morning, PREMIUM TIMES can report.

Details of the attempted assault on Mr. Ezegwu, a major general, by troops attached to ‘Operation Rescue Finale’ in Sambisa Forest, came a day after he denied our report about a mutiny on the battlefront.

The troops were enraged over poor welfare arrangement and alleged deceit by their commanders, our sources recounted.

Specifically, they accused the commander of leaving them to fight for two days without food. The incident occurred in Sambisa Forest on Friday morning, as this newspaper reported.

Most of the soldiers involved in the mutiny were deployed to Sambisa from 21 Brigade in Bama, Borno State.

PREMIUM TIMES obtained new details of the incident on Saturday, that show that the soldiers went from 9:00 a.m. on December 14 till 6:00 p.m. on December 15 — more than 24 hours — without food.

When Mr. Ezegwu eventually arrived in a helicopter bearing foods and other supplies on Friday morning, the troops swooped on him and scavenged the snacks, food and water he brought. They removed all the supplies, including parts for operational vehicles and other equipment, before moving towards the GOC in an attempt to attack him, our sources said.

“The GOC escaped being lynched because he was immediately shoved into an aircraft and whisked away from the area,” a source said.

With their target having escaped, the troops began sporadic firing, sources said. They also rained curses on their commander.

Army spokesman, Sani Usman, did not immediately respond to PREMIUM TIMES’ request for comments Saturday afternoon.

Shortly after our report about the incident on Friday, Mr. Ezegwu issued a statement to deny our facts.

Mr. Ezegwu said he was at Bama on Friday morning but he did not witness any outbreak of violence amongst the troops, much less against his person.

“I want to assure that nothing like mutiny happened in Bama. Nothing happened,” he told reporters in Maiduguri on Friday. “I just came back from Bama and nothing like that happened.”

Military sources told PREMIUM TIMES that the Army has commenced efforts to evacuate some troops from the area in order to forestall complete breakdown of order. The Army leadership will also increase supply of essential materials to the troops.

The latest tumult over lack of adequate food and water for the troops came eight months after a similar situation played out in Alagarno.

At the time, troops fighting to take control of the town attempted to kill their GOC after they were left for five days without water.

There have been repeated cases of mutiny by Nigerian soldiers since the war against Boko Haram began, and the Army has tried over 100 soldiers for the offence.

The worst case occurred in May 2014 when troops of 7 Division, angered by the death of 12 of their colleagues in a Boko Haram ambush, opened fire on the vehicle of their General Officer Commanding (GOC), Ahmadu Mohammed, a major general.

The soldiers were later arrested, tried and jailed. The Army launched “Operation Rescue Final” earlier this month to dislodge Boko Haram insurgents from Sambisa Forest — a massive reserve which has long been occupied by the terrorists — and rescue civilians trapped there.

The commanders have claimed success in the operation, with thousands of women and children having been announced rescued.

But the momentum is being threatened by frequent complaints of poor equipment and welfare for the troops.

In October soldiers told PREMIUM TIMES of how they were forced to go without salaries for months.

Similarly, the troops also complained about their allowances being arbitrarily reduced by their commanders as well as how they made do with low-nutrient meals in undignified environments.

Although the Army denied any poor treatment of the personnel, it immediately started paying the soldiers a few days after the report.

Since then, soldiers have regularly reported being timely and appropriately remunerated and expressed their comfort until yesterday’s fallout.

Source: http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/218308-nigerian-army-general-lied-troops-mutiny-escapes-lynching-hungry-soldiers.html

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by tysontim(m): 10:57pm On Dec 17, 2016
OK

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by niceprof: 11:42pm On Dec 17, 2016
A senseless war and unnecessary waste of lives

20 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by azimibraun: 11:48pm On Dec 17, 2016
Almost everything that happens in that theatre is pictured or videod in one soldiers phone or the other how come something like this will not be pictured or videod by any soldier all of a sudden? Not a single picture? Strange!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by mykeljosef: 12:54am On Dec 18, 2016
they will comman shout mutiny now
Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by tit(f): 12:56am On Dec 18, 2016
foolish general!
the boys should have eaten him as suya

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by Blue3k(m): 12:58am On Dec 18, 2016
If this is true. These soldiers will be court martialed then thrown in prison.
Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by naijaking1: 2:39am On Dec 18, 2016
tit:
foolish general!
the boys should have eaten him as suya

Then they will eat Buhari the commander in chief next!

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by seunny4lif(m): 3:13am On Dec 18, 2016
Hmmmmmm
Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by kettykin: 4:42am On Dec 18, 2016
When I repeatedly asked that does Nigeria really have a military,people didn't know what made me ask , Nigerian military is an insult to militaries

41 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by collitexnaira(m): 5:11am On Dec 18, 2016
That is terrible,, this is hard to believe
Picture or adonbelieveit
Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by nextprince: 5:19am On Dec 18, 2016
So after taking the food items he took to them, they wanted to attack him because he had not brought it the previous day and is not as if they were aware of the reason for the delay.
This country is not yet matured for this democracy at all cos soldiers had gone through worse situations and no cases of mutiny.
Some of these military personnel are just civilians in military outfits.
I understand those their back packs and other pouches can carry some food items that will sustain them for some days.

If a military man cannot harness little opportunities, and doesn't have endurance and discipline to the extent of attacking a GOC because food was not supplied for one day for a reason they don't know, I wonder where exactly lies the difference between them and my fellow civilians who may soon start demanding for my head.

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by eagleeye2: 5:21am On Dec 18, 2016
Blue3k:
If this is true. These soldiers will be court martialed then thrown in prison.
Try putting yourself in their. shoes. Fighting for two days without food?
Army top brass should keep denying, until one of them is actually killed by these angry soldiers.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by myleadmsn: 5:35am On Dec 18, 2016
Thats a serious offence in the army.If its true the boys are in deep shit

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by Nobody: 6:25am On Dec 18, 2016
There's just crisis coming from every angle in this country

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by drss2(m): 6:29am On Dec 18, 2016
lets see wat d hypocritical regime of buari dullard will say about d recent mutiny in borno state by angry soldiers. yeye pipul.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by Atiku2019: 6:33am On Dec 18, 2016
2019 Observation

Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by Ekpekus(m): 6:41am On Dec 18, 2016
Recession is indeed not just a word grin
Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by Nobody: 6:51am On Dec 18, 2016
If this is report is genuine. This is the height of wickedness to men who have left their families to ensure Nigeria can be safe,strong and together in one piece.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by Mujaheeeden: 7:17am On Dec 18, 2016
nextprince:
So after taking the food items he took to them, they wanted to attack him because he had not brought it the previous day and is not as if they were aware of the reason for the delay.
This country is not yet matured for this democracy at all cos soldiers had gone through worse situations and no cases of mutiny.
I understand those their back packs and other pouches can carry some food items that will sustain them for some days.

If a military man cannot harness little opportunities, and doesn't have endurance and discipline to the extent of attacking a GOC because food was not supplied for one day for a reason they don't know, I wonder where exactly lies the difference between them and my fellow civilians who may soon start demanding for my head.
Shut up

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by nextprince: 7:31am On Dec 18, 2016
Mujaheeeden:
Shut up

One of them spotted. Promoters of lawlessness even in the military. Left for these types, the military can even go on rampage/strike.
Na democracy dey cause all these rubbish, I really wish we can go back to military govt.
Nonsense.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by nextprince: 7:38am On Dec 18, 2016
AnonyNymous:
There's just crisis coming from every angle in this country
And some people are fueling those embers of crisis even on social media. When those crises are full blown, we shall see who will regret it.
Some people are enjoying in their houses but want to know how crisis looks like. May God grant them their wishes.
People should take cues from countries like Somalia, Rwanda etc.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by freshboi88: 7:48am On Dec 18, 2016
[right][/right]
nextprince:

In as much as u made some sense but, I dnt tink that soldiers should go for days without food and water, these guys are n d sambisa, imagine the condition of the forest, how hot it is.........they are human bins too

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by nextprince: 8:02am On Dec 18, 2016
freshboi88:
[right][/right]

In as much as u made some sense but, I dnt tink that soldiers should go for days without food and water, these guys are n d sambisa, imagine the condition of the forest, how hot it is.........they are human bins too

Bro, u don't know how some soldiers behave. There are situations when movement of logistics items (food inclusive) poses a lot of danger and these soldiers are fully aware but rather than taking it the way it comes, u see them making mountains out of mole hills and because of this democracy (which we are not matured for) u will see many people who know nothing about the situation taking to social media spewing all manners of rubbish.
Okay, just look at the case in point, if things were normal, will food be transported by air rather than roads? And the GOC himself had to accompany the food. Why do u think a whole General should accompany food items meant for soldiers under normal situation? Bro, there are things that are not just right.
If a proper court Martial were to be held and appropriate punishment awarded, they will start behaving like orphans.
Note, I'm not justifying the situation of going for days in battle front without food but there a times when u can't help it.
I'm not a military personnel but I have had interactions with many disciplined soldiers who had gone for several peace-keeping missions both within and outside Nigeria.
Some of these personnel lack the basics of professionalism.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by Pavarottii(m): 8:26am On Dec 18, 2016
I said it, u can't hide d truth forever; it will eventually come out. In matters like this.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by dannytoe(m): 9:37am On Dec 18, 2016
lia mohamend and technically defeated are like

16 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by jollymizzle(m): 9:58am On Dec 18, 2016
nextprince:

Bro, u don't know how some soldiers behave. There are situations when movement of logistics items (food inclusive) poses a lot of danger and these soldiers are fully aware but rather than taking it the way it comes, u see them making mountains out of mole hills and because of this democracy (which we are not matured for) u will see many people who know nothing about the situation taking to social media spewing all manners of rubbish.
Okay, just look at the case in point, if things were normal, will food be transported by air rather than roads? And the GOC himself had to accompany the food. Why do u think a whole General should accompany food items meant for soldiers under normal situation? Bro, there are things that are not just right.
If a proper court Martial were to be held and appropriate punishment awarded, they will start behaving like orphans.
Note, I'm not justifying the situation of going for days in battle front without food but there a times when u can't help it.
I'm not a military personnel but I have had interactions with many disciplined soldiers who had gone for several peace-keeping missions both within and outside Nigeria.
Some of these personnel lack the basics of professionalism.
Bros it's not that simple. The lifeblood of any army is its supply line. Any military that cannot sustain it's supply line has lost the war. Many great battles has been won and lost because the enemy cut the supply line of the opposing military without firing a shot. If we cannot supply these great men who lay down their lives for us. It's better we surrender . it's that simple. And mind you the article said they were lied to also. You don't do that. The military service prides itself on trust. And also military supplies aren't just food, like the article said. It comprises of food, fuel for the heavy machinery, medical supplies(for the wounded), imagine yourself being a soldier. Your armored tanks and vehicles don't have fuel and you are sitting ducks, some of your wounded just died because of lack of medical supplies and transport. You haven't eaten for two days, probably running low on water too. Your bullets are almost finished and you have started rationing bullets. What will you do? Mutinies would happen for less elsewhere in the world. Pls support our army they are facing the impossible

30 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by hotice01: 10:37am On Dec 18, 2016
nextprince:

U know absolutely nothing!
Won't even try to educate u on this!

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by nextprince: 10:45am On Dec 18, 2016
jollymizzle:
Bros it's not that simple. The lifeblood of any army is its supply line. Any military that cannot sustain it's supply line has lost the war. Many great battles has been won and lost because the enemy cut the supply line of the opposing military without firing a shot. If we cannot supply these great men who lay down their lives for us. It's better we surrender . it's that simple. And mind you the article said they were lied to also. You don't do that. The military service prides itself on trust. And also military supplies aren't just food, like the article said. It comprises of food, fuel for the heavy machinery, medical supplies(for the wounded), imagine yourself being a soldier. Your armored tanks and vehicles don't have fuel and you are sitting ducks, some of your wounded just died because of lack of medical supplies and transport. You haven't eaten for two days, probably running low on water too. Your bullets are almost finished and you have started rationing bullets. What will you do? Mutinies would happen for less elsewhere in the world. Pls support our army they are facing the impossible

Bro, the issue is not that supplies were cut off completely. But sometimes, in the interest of safety and achieving the set goals, there are things which need to be sacrificed. Ambushes/mines could be laid on expected routes and in situations like these, u have no choice but to create alternatives.
Why is no one asking why the food items were conveyed by air rather than by road? These are what should be asked.
Do u know most of the top military commanders in the north east are practically on their toes on issues relating to soldiers' welfare? Or u think they are not aware of the dire consequences of loosing control of their men?
If soldiers could revolt for cases like these, then where lies the endurance expected of a military personnel?
Where is the much trumpeted discipline in the armed forces? No food for two days and the GOC himself accompanied food food items to their location and by air, then the next thing is to start revolting. Are they civilians or paramilitary? What sort of nonsense is that?
Note also, I have friends and relations in the military out of which some are presently in that maiduguri and I will tell u that some of these things are exaggerations. Some of them are doing everything possible to be taken away from there and that is cowardice which is a serious offence in the military.
Finally, pls give me link(s) to mutinies in other countries due to less harsh conditions.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by nextprince: 10:50am On Dec 18, 2016
hotice01:

U know absolutely nothing!
Won't even try to educate u on this!

Reserve it 4 urself pls.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by jollymizzle(m): 12:01pm On Dec 18, 2016
nextprince:

Bro, the issue is not that supplies were cut off completely. But sometimes, in the interest of safety and achieving the set goals, there are things which need to be sacrificed. Ambushes/mines could be laid on expected routes and in situations like these, u have no choice but to create alternatives.
Why is no one asking why the food items were conveyed by air rather than by road? These are what should be asked.
Do u know most of the top military commanders in the north east are practically on their toes on issues relating to soldiers' welfare? Or u think they are not aware of the dire consequences of loosing control of their men?
If soldiers could revolt for cases like these, then where lies the endurance expected of a military personnel?
Where is the much trumpeted discipline in the armed forces? No food for two days and the GOC himself accompanied food food items to their location and by air, then the next thing is to start revolting. Are they civilians or paramilitary? What sort of nonsense is that?
Note also, I have friends and relations in the military out of which some are presently in that maiduguri and I will tell u that some of these things are exaggerations. Some of them are doing everything possible to be taken away from there and that is cowardice which is a serious offence in the military.
Finally, pls give me link(s) to mutinies in other countries due to less harsh conditions.
I won't argue since you have close relations in the army. But I think the welfare standard in our military is one of the poorest . we have heard a lot happening from moles within their ranks to lack of simple equipment such as night vision goggles.(late Colonel Ali).they aren't in some far away country. We should be able to supply our troops in NIGERIA.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers by Omudia11: 12:20pm On Dec 18, 2016
Do you have anything else doing with your life other than posting Atiku's pictures everywhere?
Atiku2019:
2019 Observation

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Francis Mobolaji Odesanya's Death: Nigerian Police Releases Statement / Lagos Government To Phase Out Yellow Buses / Why Senate Withheld 3 Ministerial Confirmations - Akpabio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.