Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,130 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:32 AM

Yoruba Stance On Suicide. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Stance On Suicide. (779 Views)

Saudi Arabia Praises Oluwo Of Iwoland On Stance Against Idol Worshipping (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba Stance On Suicide. by BaEnki(m): 11:10pm On Dec 19, 2016
Note: This is to be for educative purpose alone, having said that, I am a Yoruba by tribe and I value every bit of our culture, even though throughout my journey about 18 years on this sphere, I've spent less than 2years in the Southwest, I've got much love for where I came from right from my childhood as inculcated to me by my parents, I speak and understand every bit of the language as well as their proverbs, I have read many books as well as gone through some archives to learn more about my culture including some by the famous Samuel Johnson, D.O Fagunwa etc.

When I checked through the Oyo empire, there was a practice that common then, that is Suicide, Yoruba a ni pe Iku ya jèsí lo(death is better than ignominy, when I firstly came across this proverb, I paused and asked myself that does that means we supported suicide? To mean the answer will be yes, because I always tell people that we don't need to celebrate the birth date but the death one, my reason is not far fetched; death frees you from the hell of life while life gifts you with its adversities. I would love to hear/read people's opinion about this, this is an open discussion.

Moreover, I don't believe in the existence of any god.

Re: Yoruba Stance On Suicide. by SimplePlan34: 5:05am On Apr 15, 2019
Yes death is the cure

(1) (Reply)

Mind Power: The Healing Power Of Positive Thinking / Aztec Calmecec / Osun Osogbo Annual Festival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.