Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,853 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:24 PM

Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better (35347 Views)

Clay Bricks / How much is Cement,Block,Gravel,Sand etc In Lagos? / Cement, Block And Rod (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by okunoba(m): 12:26am On Nov 17, 2009
I need information on red clay bricks industry in Nigeria (lagos/ w. Nigeria). I need to know if burnt clay bricks and roof tiles are widely used, how much they cost, the standard brick size, manufacturers and suppliers. What ever help u can render will be appreciated.
My regards
Dapo

I have always wondered y burnt clay bricks is not widely used in southern Nigeria though we have the main raw material clay in abundance, it`s cheaper and looks better in the long run. When used, u save on cement/paint cost 4 plastering and painting the front walls. Plus there will be no extra cost of needing to repaint the outside walls, when they turn black from dust.

2 Likes

Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by 1forall: 1:01am On Nov 17, 2009
Black? from dust

Anyways, except youre ready to bear the cost of thermal insulation of such a building, I dont think such building blocks are the most appropriate for construction in a climate thats nearly all-round summer.

I suppose its why its not popular in naija.
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by okunoba(m): 1:19am On Nov 17, 2009
They are used in many hot climate countries e.g (India, China, Sudan, Ethiopia, North Africa and in Nigeria during colonial days. I know of two factories producing clay bricks in Lagos/Ogun area and they seem to be doing okay. Amide clay industries, in Ota is expanding it`s production capacity, so one can assume they have a growing demand 4 the product. I need people in the building sector to cheep in their opinion on the subject matter. Thanks 4 ur contributions
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by jesuseun1(m): 10:51am On Nov 17, 2009
do anybodu hav an idea of the prices of the clay block and red bricks
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by franko2: 2:29pm On Nov 18, 2009
Red bricks fine, main problem is with the artisans/bricklayers in nigeria, who do not like anything which needs EXACT standards of workmanship, too stressful for them. U will need to find the right kinda bricklayers to work it for u, else the job will be rubbish, like most (skewed) building workmanship in nig. With redbricks, rubbish worksmanship will not fly! Otherwise, red bricks very common in south africa and zimbabwe.

I think its also cheaper but, make sure u import workmen, maybe from our neighbouring countries and, u shud be fine.

Dont let those who dont really know put u off but, do more homework

5 Likes

Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by mjay(m): 3:13pm On Nov 18, 2009
comparatively, for a four bedroom bungalow or even a duplex, will it be cheaper to use it other than our conventional cement/sand blocks? Can the manufacturers provide bricklayers that can work with precision using red brick? I will love to use them for my property.
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by sonety2k(m): 11:24am On Nov 19, 2009
cool
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by redbricks: 9:43pm On Nov 26, 2009
For all your requirements of red clay burnt bricks, please contact us at Ikorodu, Lagos State.
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by okunoba(m): 1:39pm On Nov 27, 2009
@redbricks, can u give contact details of ur company. Are u a manufacturer of clay burnt bricks ? Do u make clay roof tiles?
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by redbricks: 5:52pm On Nov 27, 2009
We do not make clay roofing tiles. But, we manufacture load bearing red bricks, lintels, decking pot, split facing tiles, decorative bricks, lintels, and can tailor make the brick dimensions to suit your needs.
mjay: Give me your plan drawing of your four bedroom duplex, will estimate the number of bricks and type required.
We have our panel of red brick layers too.
Femi. 08072860341
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by heilige(m): 11:49am On Dec 01, 2009
@Redbricks
How good are your bricklayers ?
Do you have pictures of thier previous jobs ?
Do you have a web site ?
can you send a price list and pictures of you products. ?

It will be appreciated ?

Regards
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by bricker: 12:57pm On Dec 01, 2009
Hello redbricks

I'm a brick supplyer and I would like to know your phone number, e-mail adress or web page in order to get in contact with you. Thank you for your attention!
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by redbricks: 7:52pm On Dec 01, 2009
Hello Bricker and Heilige

Send yr bricks enquiry to ikorodu_bricks@yahoo.com

We have a panel of bricklayers

Cheers
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by larez(m): 9:03pm On Dec 17, 2009
I just want to thank you guys for the information supplied here. Usually, red brick is used as facing and finish material in the US. The process of trying to build structurally by doing double rows with an air gap may be too costly today. There are thermal advantages though. Please confirm the usual use of them in Nigeria. It is great to know that I can do my usual brick and stucco combination in Nigeria as well. Thanks.
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by heilige(m): 9:07am On Dec 18, 2009
@Larez.

ol boy you get talk for mouth. Well in the UK you can see serious construction with bricks. In some EU countries you will building of up to 7 or more flour with burnt bricks. Of course these structures have frames.
I heard baba iyabo uses only burnt bricks for his structures.
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by larez(m): 8:24pm On Dec 18, 2009
And where will you get the workers with the expertise to properly lay the bricks? And let me ask you another question, How many linear feet or meters of grout will be generated using brick instead of larger Concrete Masonry Units? How does this translate into the cost of cement in Nigeria v/s costs in the UK? I just wish people will stop being too smart and rather ask questions, so they can learn.
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by KunleA2(m): 11:44pm On Dec 18, 2009
:-x
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by tobor23(m): 11:03am On Jan 03, 2010
Hey, has any one of u guys heard of Bolyn Construction Company? I got in touch with them sometime last year and they have a lot to offer for building with bricks, including roofing tiles & interlocking tiles. You could check their website for futher details "http://bolyncc.net/". Cheers & Happy New Year
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by chanchaga: 6:06pm On Jan 10, 2010
THERE,S WAS A COMPANY IN MINNA THAT WAS INTO CLAY BLOCKS. i THINK THEY WERE DOING WELL THEN. tHOUGH I LEFT MINNA IN 2004 SO I DONT KNOW HOW THEY FARE FOR NOW
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by 2dmax(m): 9:38am On Mar 02, 2011
hhhmmm
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by dantechnig: 1:35pm On May 31, 2011
BRICK MAKING MACHINE

The machine impacts a compressive force of not less than 3N/mm2 on 4%
cement stabilized laterite Blocks, to achieve strength of not less than
1.6N/mm2 which is suitable and adequate for cost effective Bungalows.
The machine is light weight and can readily be transported and used at
sites especially in rural areas. The operation is simple and requires a three
man operational team. The productivity is 600-700 bricks per eight hour
working day. Two bricks are produced in one operation and the standard size
of the product is 290x140xx100(mm) size.
One of the advantages of the cement stabilized bricks and blocks over
the sandcrete blocks is that economy is achieved because less cement than
will be normally required in sandcrete blocks is used.
However in the production of burnt bricks and blocks, the machine
produces unstabilized bricks which are then burnt in clamp kilns.
An appropriate level of technology is applied in the construction of clamp
kilns using unskilled and semi-skilled labour.
It has been observed that walls of fired clay bricks, held together by mortar
(a mixture of lime, sand and water),have a certain amount of resistance
to compression.
The tower of the city hall of Seina in Italy, known as the Torre del mangia
(from the nick name of appetite), is built entirely of mortared brick and
reaches a height of 334 feet. Although built in 1348, it is even today the
tallest brick tower in the world.

INTER LOCKING BLOCK MAKING MACHINE

This is a machine which produces interlocking blocks. The interlocking
blocks come in two sizes (225x225x115) mm and (225x150x115) mm with
grooves at the top and bottom which interlocks with other blocks.
The cement stabilized laterite interlocking blocks are used for the construction of
Walls without using mortar except at the first Course layer, gable layer and
the ring beam.

need more information contact dantechnig@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by zabutt(m): 1:51pm On Jun 23, 2011
Some people are talking about that the clay bricks are suitable for hot countries like India, Pakistan etc. I believe this person has no idea what he is talking about. Clay bricks have been used and still are being used in whole Europe for construction. Known history of clay bricks dates back to 7000 B.C (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick). The average cost of clay brick in Pakistan/India is around Rs 4-5 (that is around 10 Naira per brick). That is one of the economical way of building a house or any other facility.

2 Likes

Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by Akanniade(m): 2:03pm On Jun 23, 2011
redbricks:

Hello Bricker and Heilige

Send yr bricks enquiry to ikorodu_bricks@yahoo.com

We have a panel of bricklayers

Cheers
I think you should go the extra miles by showing pictures of your previous works.
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by skimanski(m): 10:22am On Jun 28, 2013
Looking for an Architect? You show us your space and we make it look unique. Be it an empty plot, or a half built house, or a completed house, or a rented apartment or a Proposed shop. This is the right place to be.

Affordable architectural designs. Construction, Renovations, and Interiors. (Tiling, Kitchen, furnishings and solving general House problems)
CHECK OUT MY TREND https://www.nairaland.com/1164230/best-architectural-interior-construction-works
Architect Jude O. Odemwingie.
email: skimanski4life@yahoo.com
email; denstlimited@hotmail.com
email: dnstructures@gmail.com
Tel; 08038390386

Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by Schynam: 5:55pm On Sep 14, 2013
So anyone has an idea where to purchase clay bricks in Ibadan, Oyo State?
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by whirlwind7(m): 7:53pm On Sep 14, 2013
Building with red bricks, or combining them with conventional blocks is something i have always wanted. Here's a picture i got from a thread on Nairaland. They give a cool and unique appearance to houses. If actually they are cheaper than conventional bricks, i wonder why they have not gained a wider acceptance in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by Schynam: 9:13pm On Sep 15, 2013
whirlwind7: Building with red bricks, or combining them with conventional blocks is something i have always wanted. Here's a picture i got from a thread on Nairaland. They give a cool and unique appearance to houses. If actually they are cheaper than conventional bricks, i wonder why they have not gained a wider acceptance in Nigeria.

I need someone to help with a local clay bricks seller in Ibadan for a project.
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by TJTAIGlobal(f): 10:45pm On Sep 29, 2014
okunoba: @redbricks, can u give contact details of ur company. Are u a manufacturer of clay burnt bricks ? Do u make clay roof tiles?

Yes. If you need Bricks, kindly contact TJ & TAI Global Services: we sell Bricks at N150; N200; N300 and N500. You can contact me on: 08088990223 (Ade)
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by TJTAIGlobal(f): 10:50pm On Sep 29, 2014
Schynam: So anyone has an idea where to purchase clay bricks in Ibadan, Oyo State?

Yes. We sell Bricks at TJ & TAI Global Services, Iyana Church, Ibadan. We have various sizes: 6; 7; 9. Prices are vary from N200; N350; and N500.
You can reach me on: 08088990223 (Ade - CEO)
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by TJTAIGlobal(f): 10:58pm On Sep 29, 2014
Schynam:

I need someone to help with a local clay bricks seller in Ibadan for a project.

Yes. We sell Bricks at TJ & TAI Global Services, Iyana Church, Ibadan. We have various sizes: 6; 7; 9. Prices are vary from N200; N350; and N500.
You can reach me on:
08088990223 (Ade - CEO)
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by FastShipping: 11:55pm On Sep 29, 2014
TJTAIGlobal:

You can reach me on:
08088990223 (Ade - CEO)

How can we see pictures of the red bricks you sell? Please, show us some pictures of what you sell with their sizes.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Roofing Sheet Price List In Nigeria (2020 Vs 2024) / Citiview & The Grenadines Homes (magodo,arepo & Abuja) / See The Wolrd's First Printed House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.