Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,628 members, 7,801,817 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:25 AM

I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting (11665 Views)

Lagos Stops Promotion Based On Career Progression, Reveals New Criterion (MUST R / 4 Tough Calls To Make On Career Growth / Top Management Consulting Firms In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by KayTheHuman: 8:54pm On Dec 20, 2016
I just turned 26 and I'm completing my Housemanship (Internship) in less than a month.
Since I resumed Clinical years (400 Lvl and Up) in Medical School, I had lost my enthusiasm for Medicine and somehow knew that being excellent at Clinical practice was going to be difficult for me.
I graduated with average grades, and in the course of my internship, I've just been an average doctor.
I know I can easily get by with private practice as a Medical Officer, and make enough to live a basic life but living an exceptional life would be hard in Medicine.
I keep talking about being exceptional because that's the kind of life I want. I had all distinction in my O Levels, and was also in top 10 students in my class before the Clinical years.
I was involved in a number of extracurricular activities in school (from Digital Technology Projects to NGOs, etc.) some of which had significant national impact.

I had thought about options like starting a Technology Startup, or doing a Post-Graduate Degree in the Basic Medical Sciences.
But I've noticed that I like taking on big and ambitious projects, and I also easily get bored.(I don't enjoy working on a project for more than 6 months). This makes technology startup difficult, and a post graduate degree in Nigeria might also not be exciting enough to hold my attention.

I started considering Management Consulting after watching tons of McKinsey, Bain & BCG videos on youtube. It feels like a sweet spot between liking to improve your intellectual vitality, working on big ambitious projects that you can immediately start seeing the impact, and being boredom proof since there would be multiple projects at once. I've also not been satisfied with my education in Nigeria so far and I'm hoping to take an MBA top 5 Business School. Management Consulting seems like a reasonable stepping stone to that.

So overall, I'm wondering;
How easy would it be to get into consulting with an average Academic Record?
What other areas of assessment can I improve to increase my chances of getting an offer?
What are the peculiarities of Management Consulting in Nigeria? How are things different from the 'oyinbo' videos I've been watching on youtube?
What are the salaries like? What salaries can I expect as a Business Analyst?

I"ll appreciate your advice.
Thanks.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by tempex88(m): 10:30pm On Dec 20, 2016
Dr okechukwu Enemelah should be ur mentor.

7 Likes

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by okanga42: 6:24am On Dec 21, 2016
Ask holy spirit he will Guide u

10 Likes

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by KayTheHuman: 5:39pm On Dec 21, 2016
tempex88:
Dr okechukwu Enemelah should be ur mentor.

Thank you.
Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by hmohammed(m): 10:17pm On Dec 21, 2016
It is a great move. I switched from Engineering to Consulting and today I work for Microsoft

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by Nobody: 7:05am On Dec 22, 2016
While there is nothing really wrong with career change, infact I see it at as plus for your career- I think you need to engage in soul searching before the change!
1. It seems to me you might have wasted about 4 years of your life in the medical school. My little plea and advise on this is that you finish you medical school before the switch - you have to give everything it takes to graduate from medical school
2. Please note that the grass is always looking green outside. Note the word "looking". I am a fellowship member of a leading professional body in Nigeria, sometime I still wished I have read some other courses. The people at the other side always think that same way too. It is always looking greener the other side.
3. Finishing medical school will afford you the opportunity to be multi-skilled. That is obviously a combo! The best set of staff in IOCs are the ones with multi-skulking abilities
4. Time wait for no man! I am sure you are over 20 (that was the age I graduated from the then Unife). I hear you say it is never too late? Yes you are right, but you carry a big advantage with age on your side. For instance, you graduate at age 31 with a first class, you are most likely not going to get work at the IOCs, banks, multi-nationals etc. Why? At that age, Many of your age mates working there are already having about 8 years experience. There you are with a 1st class at 31 without a single day experience
5. If your mind is totally out of medical school and will end up wasting your time and life, make the switch today, you still have many more years ahead of you.
Good luck to you

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by Nobody: 7:05am On Dec 22, 2016
Hmmm. Ill comnent when i am bk from work.

BTW

Check my signature
Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by Nobody: 7:07am On Dec 22, 2016
Complete your medical course.

You can do whatever you want afterwards. One of the Big technology start ups in Nigeria was founded by a medical doctor

7 Likes

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by DrObum(m): 7:08am On Dec 22, 2016
It's quite amazing an idea.

MBBS is quite open ended and you can make any switch, and can even get yourself applying the management consulting in a medically related way.

Take the bold step if your passion lies there, might not be easy at first but would definitely pay.

All the best bro

1 Like

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by ogawisdom(m): 7:09am On Dec 22, 2016
Nawa ooo
Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by GoldenJAT(m): 7:11am On Dec 22, 2016
u should tread carefully pls....i dont think u Lost any passion 4 medicine!!u just became Bored as u stated...finish up with d internship proper,and every oda thing will follow suit.

3 Likes

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by cnwamo(m): 7:11am On Dec 22, 2016
You can never know until you try. smiley
MBA is the surest way if you are not interested in continuing as an MD.
wish you the best.
Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by QuotaSystem: 7:11am On Dec 22, 2016
Management consulting is the bomb, there's nothing like improving business performance across industries using analytics and sheer brain power daily, and being well rewarded for it.

This will help you

http://www.jarushub.com/tag/consulting/

Cc: Jarus

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by blacbard(m): 7:13am On Dec 22, 2016
i know how you feel bruv, lets talk....i could help out
Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by nnaemmy(m): 7:22am On Dec 22, 2016
First Do a PGD in Management/Business Administrative studies. from there to MBA (Business Admin of Management)

i wish you success.
Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by d33types: 7:24am On Dec 22, 2016
You might need to be more open minded and have a more broad cadre of relationships.doctors are boring people as friends.
I was in your shoes months ago,but after finishing housemanship I could see clearly.

1 Like

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by Nobody: 7:27am On Dec 22, 2016
With all the trash going on as medicine in Nigeria, you may find a worthwhile niche in Medical Quality Consulting

it is clear that Nigerian doctors and hospitals know zilch about quality and first class customer service. You essentially have a doctors leading a pack of all sorts, and since the doctors cannot do everything, overall performance is at best average and usually below average.

If you set up a small practice with Gold standard quality, and consult for other hospitals on all the key management consulting issues, you will be able to Impact them as an insider the way no management consultant can do, and this does not prevent you from consulting for regular businesses.

4 Likes

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by DonLo: 7:31am On Dec 22, 2016
Na so
Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by Nobody: 7:31am On Dec 22, 2016
KayTheHuman I appreciate your honesty, many of us came into the medical school off the back of excellent grades but like you would have heard severally,
medical school is a leveler

You must have been very fortunate and dogged to have withstood the shock seeing your grades plummet from pre-clinical excellence to clinical average. I knw not a few who fell off from med school for same reasons.
That said, I think you should consider two options.

> pursue a non-clinical speciality post -service (of which there are alot of them) and also go for your management dreams. The skills and experience you have gained all along shouldn't be thrown away just like that.
> If na money matter, my guy leave medicine and go head-on into management. Trust me, with your medical backgroud, you would fly high in whatever career path you choose.
I know a few collegues who left the practice, boy, they're balling hard.
Career satisfaction is very important.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by Qmerit(m): 7:31am On Dec 22, 2016
Well, one man's eat it's another man's poison.
Do what give you joy my guy!
Go to management related course of any University of your choice and explain to the HOD, do a post graduate Degree (PGD) on management consultancy and go for MBA it would sharpen your thinking and how you can go about whatsoever in life in consultancy/administratively .. I mean visit a good school.
Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by MaziOmenuko: 7:35am On Dec 22, 2016
You need to add more life to your medical practice: try to finish up med school, start off residency as a surgeon then try specialty in heart surgery, nothing will interest you more.

Aim to be the best heart surgeon in Nigeria, a challenge that will never nore you.
Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by adexpa(m): 7:35am On Dec 22, 2016
it is good to be a future projector but better to wait unto God for direction in case like this. do not jump into conclusion on ur MBBS now, toll the Parth to the end n see what God hold for u( better is the end of a thing than the beginning thereof). what inspired ur thought now might be a blessing in order for u to explore more n see deep in ur field. u can venture to any field as a medical practitioner as time goes n be doing them hand in hand. just continue with ur medicine now with hard-work n be hoping for d best(mat 6vs26-32)

1 Like

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by babalonshee(m): 7:37am On Dec 22, 2016
just finished ur medical first
Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by fsb(m): 7:40am On Dec 22, 2016
Hi,

Get 2 postgraduate degrees: an MPH (is tremendously helpful in management of healh programs or projects) and an MBA.

1 Like

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by Nobody: 7:41am On Dec 22, 2016
QuotaSystem:
Management consulting is the bomb, there's nothing like improving business performance across industries using analytics and sheer brain power daily, and being well rewarded for it.

This will help you

http://www.jarushub.com/tag/consulting/

Cc: Jarus

With due respect sir, I do not think management consulting on its own can deliver the best to the nation. This country is full of business administrators, and consultants administering empty portfolios.

You cannot manage what you don't know, and you cannot advice about something you are not intimate with. For you to successfully consult on a field outside this shore you will spend significant time in that field then you can take management tools, adapt it to that field and achieve good result.

I have met several expats this way and trust me they have high impact on what they were paid to do

I started in management consulting and withdrew, because for me its empty, all you will have for years of work is money, because of the helicopter delivery method, you may not be able to identify the people you have impacted.

My Rant,

2 Likes

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by arterxerxes: 7:41am On Dec 22, 2016
Exactly what I am passing through my brother
Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by uninvited: 7:41am On Dec 22, 2016
KayTheHuman:
I just turned 26 and I'm completing my Housemanship (Internship) in less than a month.
Since I resumed Clinical years (400 Lvl and Up) in Medical School, I had lost my enthusiasm for Medicine and somehow knew that being excellent at Clinical practice was going to be difficult for me.
I graduated with average grades, and in the course of my internship, I've just been an average doctor.
I know I can easily get by with private practice as a Medical Officer, and make enough to live a basic life but living an exceptional life would be hard in Medicine.
I keep talking about being exceptional because that's the kind of life I want. I had all distinction in my O Levels, and was also in top 10 students in my class before the Clinical years.
I was involved in a number of extracurricular activities in school (from Digital Technology Projects to NGOs, etc.) some of which had significant national impact.

I had thought about options like starting a Technology Startup, or doing a Post-Graduate Degree in the Basic Medical Sciences.
But I've noticed that I like taking on big and ambitious projects, and I also easily get bored.(I don't enjoy working on a project for more than 6 months). This makes technology startup difficult, and a post graduate degree in Nigeria might also not be exciting enough to hold my attention.

I started considering Management Consulting after watching tons of McKinsey, Bain & BCG videos on youtube. It feels like a sweet spot between liking to improve your intellectual vitality, working on big ambitious projects that you can immediately start seeing the impact, and being boredom proof since there would be multiple projects at once. I've also not been satisfied with my education in Nigeria so far and I'm hoping to take an MBA top 5 Business School. Management Consulting seems like a reasonable stepping stone to that.

So overall, I'm wondering;
How easy would it be to get into consulting with an average Academic Record?
What other areas of assessment can I improve to increase my chances of getting an offer?
What are the peculiarities of Management Consulting in Nigeria? How are things different from the 'oyinbo' videos I've been watching on youtube?
What are the salaries like? What salaries can I expect as a Business Analyst?

I"ll appreciate your advice.
Thanks.
currently in 400 lvl and this is exactly my story, the problem is that the way I imagined the practice to be is exactly the opposite of what it turns out to be. The working conditions and the compensation given to your senior colleagues is a sad case.

1 Like

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by lonelydora: 7:43am On Dec 22, 2016
Follow your heart. After all, Dr. Sid your colleague is in Mavin records dishing out songs for us.
Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by Dotman2210(m): 7:46am On Dec 22, 2016
petsaint:
With all the trash going on as medicine in Nigeria, you may find a worthwhile niche in Medical Quality Consulting

it is clear that Nigerian doctors and hospitals know zilch about quality and first class customer service. You essentially have a doctors leading a pack of all sorts, and since the doctors cannot do everything, overall performance is at best average and usually below average.

If you set up a small practice with Gold standard quality, and consult for other hospitals on all the key management consulting issues, you will be able to Impact them as an insider the way no management consultant can do, and this does not prevent you from consulting for regular businesses.
You are very correct
Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by eleojo23: 7:53am On Dec 22, 2016
For those advising him to finish medical school, the OP is already a doctor.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by drsugar: 7:53am On Dec 22, 2016
It's well. Some people are also doing well in medical practice here in Nigeria.
It's the same formula for success in every field. Your career choice doesn't guarantee the kind of big success that your are looking for. We have medical doctors that are failures and furniture makers that are multi millionaires and successful. We also have medical doctors that are extremely successful multi millionaires with medical practice alone.
A transient dissatisfaction with your career choice doesn't mean you need to change. What if you get into the management consultancy and it's starts looking different from what you thought it was. I'm sure we have people who are failures in management consultancy too.
I can't tell you what to do but you need to look inwards into yourself more than you are looking outwards toward your profession. My 2cents advice to you.

SUCCESSFUL DOCTORS ARE NOT THE BEST OF CLINICIANS BUT THE BEST OF MANAGERS.

5 Likes

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by Nobody: 7:57am On Dec 22, 2016
Thank you. Go for something else. It's people like you that kill us during NYSC. Pls don't do nysc oo. Thnx.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Things To Do If You Want To Retire Early / Meet The Newly Appointed Chairman Of A Central Cemetery In Delta State. Photos / Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.