Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,970 members, 7,806,812 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:36 AM

8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees (12412 Views)

13 Hidden Secrets Lawyers Won’t Tell Their Client / Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees / 7 Ways Nigerian Bosses Abuse Their Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by ItuExchange(m): 9:48am On Dec 21, 2016
Leadership always starts with great communication, so amazing bosses use these phrases daily.

Whether you're managing an intern or running an entire business, your employees' success (and your own skin) depends on your leadership.

Thankfully, the solution for motivating your team and squashing any issues is right at the tip of your tongue. It all starts with communication -- the skill experts point to as the make-or-break factor for successful leadership.

Here are eight things that exceptional bosses tell their employees daily. Start using these daily (or begin looking for a boss who does), and watch your success skyrocket:

1. "I have total confidence in you."
There's nothing more discouraging than a boss who doesn't believe in a person's abilities and tries to micromanage them at every turn. Even ultra-confident individuals will see their self-belief plummet if they're treated like a white-collar toddler.

As President Theodore Roosevelt said, "The best leader is the one who has sense enough to pick good men to do what he wants done, and self-restraint enough to keep from meddling with them while they do it."

It might be tough to let go of the reins at first, but if you give your team opportunities to rise to the occasion, you'll find a happier and more motivated office environment.

2. "This is what I want us to accomplish..."
CEO and president of Lockheed Martin Marillyn Hewson found this to be the biggest key to success in her career: "Great leaders motivate and inspire people with why they're doing it," she says. "That's purpose. And that's the key to achieving something truly transformational."

What separates exceptional leaders from mediocre bosses is their ability to communicate their plans and tie the daily drudgery into big-picture goals. Charting a clear course for your team fosters a sense of job stability and drive at work -- so always take the time to explain "why" instead of merely doling out orders.

3. "What can we do better next time?"
As Arianna Huffington sagely suggests, mistakes are the best teachers. "We need to accept that we won't always make the right decisions, that we'll screw up royally sometimes," she says. "Understanding that failure is not the opposite of success, it's part of success."

Every person on planet Earth has messed up at his or her job at least once (even me...well, maybe more than once). Mistakes happen, especially when you're trying something new.

As long as it's not a reckless or careless mistake, turn that error into a learning experience. Teaching someone what to do next time to avoid a blunder is much more productive than reprimanding them.

4. "I want to play to your strengths."
Warren Bennis, a renowned author and scholar on leadership, found that "Too many companies believe people are interchangeable. Truly gifted people never are. They have unique talents." He says, "Such people cannot be forced into roles they are not suited for, nor should they be. Effective leaders allow great people to do the work they were born to do."

Every person on your team has special skills -- that's why I embrace uniqueness at my company, and you should, too. This speaks to the idea of treating people as individuals in a world where employees are too often seen as expendable. Looking for greatness in everyone we work with can only lead to great things.

5. "What is your opinion?"
Top-notch bosses don't let ego get in the way of innovation -- they seek advice from everyone, regardless of where they are on the totem pole.

Asking your employees what they think is another great way to show that you have faith in them and value their input. Plus, I've found that the best insights come from the most unexpected places.

6. "How can I better support you?"
An excellent way of reducing employee turnover is a preventative approach. Take the time to check in with your team. Ask them what's on their plate and what you can do to help them succeed.

As Sheryl Sandberg, the COO of Facebook, says, "Leadership is about making others better as a result of your presence and making sure that impact lasts in your absence."

If you serve and enable your team, they'll want to do the same for you and your company, too.

7. "Let me know if you have any questions."
Many people have had at least one intimidating boss whom they didn't feel like they could go to for help. Having an open door policy shows that you're available to your team and care about open communication and their productivity. The faster their questions are answered, the faster they can get back to accomplishing the task at hand.

8. "Good work."
Giving recognition is a lot cheaper than installing Ping-Pong tables or nap pods, and much more effective. No matter how much employees are paid and how cushy their perks are, they'll want to know that someone cares about their work. So take a few minutes to invest in well-deserved praise -- your team will always appreciate it.

Source: http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2lo6Q7/:1vpg496ed:TdUkDkG8/www.inc.com/elle-kaplan/8-things-exceptional-bosses-constantly-tell-their-employees.html

Neteller here: www..com.ng

29 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by iyzeek(m): 12:07am On Dec 23, 2016
on point.
Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by nmreports: 7:15am On Dec 23, 2016
Great. Love this.
It would be cool if the employee is an exceptional staff too.
Why compliment someone who is clearly not doing a great job and is not improving. They are usually a nightmare.

New updates on Nigerian companies recruitment style, span and stages on www.HRtechnique.com

1 Like

Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by sakalisis(m): 7:16am On Dec 23, 2016
cool
Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by kelvz(m): 7:16am On Dec 23, 2016
Check out my siggy
Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by CaptainBomb(m): 7:17am On Dec 23, 2016
Okay i don read am
Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by ochallo: 7:17am On Dec 23, 2016
This makes sense and has any effect! If the employees feels the boss ac
Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by buharimustlive: 7:17am On Dec 23, 2016
Exceptional write up...
@OP thanks for your information. When I get to work I will try to chip some of your words into my boss cranium. He is a German with no respect for Nigerians and it law.

The guy is too boostful, banging ladies who don't wanna loose their job and treating the guys as trash.
Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by ochallo: 7:17am On Dec 23, 2016
This makes Sense if the employees know the boss actually means it, otherwise they would just laugh about it behind his back
Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by sirOrubebe: 7:20am On Dec 23, 2016
Meanwhile

Worker: "I can't come to work, I'm sick."

Boss: "When I'm sick I have sex with my wife, try it."

Worker calls back: "It worked. I'm better. You got a nice house!"

tongue

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by datola: 7:21am On Dec 23, 2016
A laissez-faire leadership style that may be counter productive in the Nigerian situation.

Most Nigerian employees need 'iron hands' to be productive. That is why most company owners and managers here apply the autocratic method to force performance.

Ask the banks declaring huge profits and other performing indigenous establishments if they practise those things on the list.
Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by Oblitz(m): 7:21am On Dec 23, 2016
sure
Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by IMASTEX: 7:21am On Dec 23, 2016
Thanks ops! I do some of those already.

Finding it difficult to last long naturally? Then, you need our herbal tea to give madam a wonderful season "holiday". See profile for contact.
Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by eezeribe(m): 7:22am On Dec 23, 2016
Talking of a true leader... Not a Boss
Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by Professor101(m): 7:23am On Dec 23, 2016
Great write up. Appreciation and recognition of other team memebers can cause a ripple effect on their performance

Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by Donkaz(m): 7:25am On Dec 23, 2016
Till when I become a boss
Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by Goldenheart(m): 7:27am On Dec 23, 2016
Back then Our boss keeps telling us we can't make it out there....

That's bcoz he doesn't want us to leave the company..

But God big pass am.

3 Likes

Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by Ehins22(m): 7:29am On Dec 23, 2016
smiley
Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by ecosystm(m): 7:30am On Dec 23, 2016
nice write up but this is rarely unNigerian
Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by Nobody: 7:32am On Dec 23, 2016
Very rare characteristic for a typical Nigerian BOSS! They easily double as demi-gods like they never rised through the ranks to attain their zenith angry
Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by GreatManBee: 7:35am On Dec 23, 2016
ItuExchange:
Leadership always starts with great communication, so amazing bosses use these phrases daily.

Whether you're managing an intern or running an entire business, your employees' success (and your own skin) depends on your leadership.

Thankfully, the solution for motivating your team and squashing any issues is right at the tip of your tongue. It all starts with communication -- the skill experts point to as the make-or-break factor for successful leadership.

Here are eight things that exceptional bosses tell their employees daily. Start using these daily (or begin looking for a boss who does), and watch your success skyrocket:

1. "I have total confidence in you."
There's nothing more discouraging than a boss who doesn't believe in a person's abilities and tries to micromanage them at every turn. Even ultra-confident individuals will see their self-belief plummet if they're treated like a white-collar toddler.

As President Theodore Roosevelt said, "The best leader is the one who has sense enough to pick good men to do what he wants done, and self-restraint enough to keep from meddling with them while they do it."

It might be tough to let go of the reins at first, but if you give your team opportunities to rise to the occasion, you'll find a happier and more motivated office environment.

2. "This is what I want us to accomplish..."
CEO and president of Lockheed Martin Marillyn Hewson found this to be the biggest key to success in her career: "Great leaders motivate and inspire people with why they're doing it," she says. "That's purpose. And that's the key to achieving something truly transformational."

What separates exceptional leaders from mediocre bosses is their ability to communicate their plans and tie the daily drudgery into big-picture goals. Charting a clear course for your team fosters a sense of job stability and drive at work -- so always take the time to explain "why" instead of merely doling out orders.

3. "What can we do better next time?"
As Arianna Huffington sagely suggests, mistakes are the best teachers. "We need to accept that we won't always make the right decisions, that we'll screw up royally sometimes," she says. "Understanding that failure is not the opposite of success, it's part of success."

Every person on planet Earth has messed up at his or her job at least once (even me...well, maybe more than once). Mistakes happen, especially when you're trying something new.

As long as it's not a reckless or careless mistake, turn that error into a learning experience. Teaching someone what to do next time to avoid a blunder is much more productive than reprimanding them.

4. "I want to play to your strengths."
Warren Bennis, a renowned author and scholar on leadership, found that "Too many companies believe people are interchangeable. Truly gifted people never are. They have unique talents." He says, "Such people cannot be forced into roles they are not suited for, nor should they be. Effective leaders allow great people to do the work they were born to do."

Every person on your team has special skills -- that's why I embrace uniqueness at my company, and you should, too. This speaks to the idea of treating people as individuals in a world where employees are too often seen as expendable. Looking for greatness in everyone we work with can only lead to great things.

5. "What is your opinion?"
Top-notch bosses don't let ego get in the way of innovation -- they seek advice from everyone, regardless of where they are on the totem pole.

Asking your employees what they think is another great way to show that you have faith in them and value their input. Plus, I've found that the best insights come from the most unexpected places.

6. "How can I better support you?"
An excellent way of reducing employee turnover is a preventative approach. Take the time to check in with your team. Ask them what's on their plate and what you can do to help them succeed.

As Sheryl Sandberg, the COO of Facebook, says, "Leadership is about making others better as a result of your presence and making sure that impact lasts in your absence."

If you serve and enable your team, they'll want to do the same for you and your company, too.

7. "Let me know if you have any questions."
Many people have had at least one intimidating boss whom they didn't feel like they could go to for help. Having an open door policy shows that you're available to your team and care about open communication and their productivity. The faster their questions are answered, the faster they can get back to accomplishing the task at hand.

8. "Good work."
Giving recognition is a lot cheaper than installing Ping-Pong tables or nap pods, and much more effective. No matter how much employees are paid and how cushy their perks are, they'll want to know that someone cares about their work. So take a few minutes to invest in well-deserved praise -- your team will always appreciate it.

Source: http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2lo6Q7/:1vpg496ed:TdUkDkG8/www.inc.com/elle-kaplan/8-things-exceptional-bosses-constantly-tell-their-employees.html

Neteller here: www..com.ng

Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by Ezedon(m): 7:35am On Dec 23, 2016
my boss believed in me but never appreciate me until he saw my resignation letter

1 Like

Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by Sanuzi(m): 7:36am On Dec 23, 2016
ok
Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by F22RAPTOR(m): 7:44am On Dec 23, 2016
Definitely not in Nigeria. Most Nigerian bosses think being a mafia manager is the best way to keep employees on their toes and to get them to be productive; putting them down, delaying their salaries and renumeration, turning them to slaves and errand boys, that is of course until they lose their best employees. Most of them don't know how to earn the trust and loyalty of their employees by applying a basic skill called emotional intelligence.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by balanceofterror1(m): 7:59am On Dec 23, 2016
F22RAPTOR:
Definitely not in Nigeria. Most Nigerian bosses think being a mafia manager is the best way to keep employees on their toes and to get them to be productive; putting them down, delaying their salaries and renumeration, turning them to slaves and errand boys, that is of course until they lose their best employees. Most of them don't know how to earn the trust and loyalty of their employees by applying a basic skill called emotional intelligence.

The problem is that some employees don't know their quality, some are so desperate maybe due long time searching for job and this have made some to accept salaries that can't even cover their transportation in the month. As the years go by, they'll become frustrated to the advantage of their employers.

1 Like

Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by DavidEsq(m): 8:18am On Dec 23, 2016
buharimustlive:
Exceptional write up...
@OP thanks for your information. When I get to work I will try to chip some of your words into my boss cranium. He is a German with no respect for Nigerians and it law.

The guy is too boostful, banging ladies who don't wanna loose their job and treating the guys as trash.
Let's handle him together, pls. One stupid Chinese, Mr. Xu(pronounced as shoo) tried that sexual ish with my client. Wen we open criminal case for e head ehn, the guy ran out of the country. The court issued a bench warrant for his arrest. He was a senior official in C.C.E.C.C. My client still retains her job; fear freeze the company. Dem no fit fire my client cheesy
Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by Nobody: 8:26am On Dec 23, 2016
Nice one.....meaning am an exceptional boss....am proud of me.
Another tip to know an exceptional boss is he/she gives out time to know your challenges/worries
People work best in a very good state of mind and worries lessens productivity. It takes a good boss to inspire you to bounce back #SuccessSelffie @TribbIsland

1 Like

Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by Nobody: 8:31am On Dec 23, 2016
The 'we' and 'us' factors give room for full dedication and cooperation. It gingers the workers swagger smiley
Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by sunnyside16(m): 8:45am On Dec 23, 2016
I wish my direct boss would comman read this.
Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by truvine(m): 9:53am On Dec 23, 2016
Ezedon:
my boss believed in me but never appreciate me until he saw my resignation letter

Currently in same shoes, but no letter yet.
Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by richakpan: 10:46am On Dec 23, 2016
Read 10 Career Mistakes I Wish I Had Never Made
nysc-cds.com/article/10-career-mistakes-i-wish-i-had-never-made
http://nysc-cds.com/article/10-career-mistakes-i-wish-i-had-never-made
Re: 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees by Nobody: 10:59am On Dec 23, 2016
RUBBISH, ABSOLUTE RUBBISH.
go and read the "mafia manager" then you will get the clear picture of how the business world operate.your writeup is too filled with idealist illusion.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I'm Being Accused Of Theft At My Work Place. / Ozak Esu Makes Telegraph’s “Top 50 Women In Engineering” List / EXCLUSIVE! Architects In Crisis As NIA, ARCON Registration War Gets Messier

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.