Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,984 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:29 PM

Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? (6478 Views)

Poll: Who is most qualified to lead the Super Eagles?

Fatih Terim: 0% (0 votes)
Guus Hiddink: 66% (14 votes)
Giovanni Trappatoni: 9% (2 votes)
Amodu: 23% (5 votes)
This poll has ended

Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles / Tijjani Babangida Appointed As Special Assistant To Coach Sunday Oliseh / Keshi Is The Best Indigenous Coach Nigeria Has Ever Had" - Okocha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by FBS: 10:29am On Nov 17, 2009
Terim, Hiddink in Nigeria frame

Former Turkey coach Fatih Terim is 'open' to the idea of coming in as Technical Adviser for the Nigeria national team,as the country looks for support for current coach Shuaibu Amodu.

Other names under consideration are Russia coach Guus Hiddink and Republic of Ireland coach Giovanni Trappatoni.

The last two are contingent on their respective countries failing to secure a spot in South Africa after the conclusion of the UEFA qualifying playoffs this Wednesday.

The Super Eagles qualified for the 2010 World Cup on Saturday, but Head Coach Amodu, who has a two and half year contract, has not enjoyed the support of the local media or the fans, and has been under fire for most of the qualifying campaign.

The situation led to the Nigerian government setting up a Presidential task Force to help deliver the World Cup ticket.

With that in the bag, KickOffNigeria.com understands that the Nigerian Football Federation have now been given a directive 'from above' to ensure that a 'Technical Adviser' is in place by December at the very latest.

Sources close to Terim have told KickOffNigeria.com that the former AC Milan, Galatasaray and Fiorentina coach, is not only interested in the job, but has been suggested to the top hierarchy of Nigerian sports.

Terim boasts of an impressive CV in European football. The only black mark in his managerial career being his five-month stint at AC Milan.

In 1996, he qualified Turkey for the European championships for the first time in the country's history.

Following Euro 96, where Turkey failed to win any game, he joined Galatasaray, and led them to four consecutive league titles, two Turkish Cup titles and the UEFA Cup in 2000.

With Fiorentina, he reached the Final of the Coppa Italia, eliminating AC Milan in the process and in his unhappy stint at Milan, he won the TIM Cup.

He returned to the Turkey job in 2005 and qualified them again for the Euros, this time, reaching the semifinal of Euro 2008.

But he was forced to resign when Turkey failed to even make it to the playoffs of the 2010 World Cup qualifier, finishing third, 15 points behind group winners Spain and 4 points behind second-place Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Colin Udoh

http://www.kickoff.com/static/news/article.php?id=12281
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by semid(m): 12:30pm On Nov 17, 2009
Here we go again on another wild goose chase.

BTW, I'm of the Opinion we need a foreign president too since Yaradua has proved to be incompetent. Why don't we go for Bill Clinton or Jimmy Carter since they're both available.

Arrant Nonsense & Rubbish!
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 12:47pm On Nov 17, 2009
semid:

BTW, I'm of the Opinion we need a foreign president too since Yaradua has proved to be incompetent. Why don't we go for Bill Clinton or Jimmy Carter since they're both available.

grin cheesy grin
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by agitator: 12:54pm On Nov 17, 2009
semid:

lwkmd grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by FBS: 1:10pm On Nov 17, 2009
semid:

LOL!!! grin

Football is NOT mathematics and neither is it exactly politics. The best man should always have the job. It's an appointment and not an election. So bros, your argument does not hold water.

I'm not in line with the idea of getting a "foreign" coach but heck, we need a sound and tactically aware handler. Bite me but I don't think Amodu is. Who in Nigeria now can do this job? If we can find a good Nigerian coach then I'm ALL for it.

Sia1 could have secured this position easily but he perforated his CV (U-20 2009).

Remember a coach is as good as his last game.
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 1:17pm On Nov 17, 2009
FBS:

LOL!!! grin

Football is NOT mathematics and neither is it exactly politics. The best man should always have the job. It's an appointment and not an election. So bros, your argument does not hold water.

I'm not in line with the idea of getting a "foreign" coach but heck, we need a sound and tactically aware handler. Bite me but I don't think Amodu is. Who in Nigeria now can do this job? If we can find a good Nigerian coach then I'm ALL for it.

Sia1 could have secured this position easily but he perforated his CV (U-20 2009).

Remember a coach is as good as his last game.

then lets take john obuh grin grin
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by jaybee3(m): 1:21pm On Nov 17, 2009
ask yourself this question , why has England's national team suddenly woken up from their slumber?
they had practically same team that didn't qualify for the last European championship.
We need a coach that will command respect from the players. A coach that have seen and done it all
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 1:28pm On Nov 17, 2009
jay bee:

ask yourself this question , why has England's national team suddenly wake up from their slumber?
they had practically same team that didn't qualify for the last European championship.
We need a coach that will command respect from the players. A coach that have seen and done it all

And before they employed Capello, who was their former coach? was the coach from any part of UK?
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by slimshay(m): 1:31pm On Nov 17, 2009
Funny i was mentioning Trappatoni( though i'm not sure dis is possible) to my friends the other day when we qualified and france went one up on them. Like the FBS said, what we need now is a technically sound coach but one more very important ingredient is a motivational coach for whom the chosen players would want to give their all.
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by jaybee3(m): 1:32pm On Nov 17, 2009
honeric01:

And before they employed Capello, who was their former coach? was the coach from any part of UK?
mediocre mclaren. but your point is?
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 1:35pm On Nov 17, 2009
jay bee:

mediocre mclaren. but your point is?

He was only an interim coach, the former coach that stayed more than 4 years with the 3 lions, he was from Sweden and we all know his name, where did he lead them to? and who was their former coach before Steve Goran Erickson was appointed? was he not also a foreigner?
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by FBS: 1:35pm On Nov 17, 2009
slimshay:

Funny i was mentioning Trappatoni( though i'm not sure dis is possible) to my friends the other day when we qualified and france went one up on them. Like the FBS said, what we need now is a technically sound coach but one more very important ingredient is a motivational coach for whom the chosen players would want to give their all.

God bless you Slimshay. This is more than important sef. You are spot on on this.

honeric01:

then lets take john obuh grin grin
John Obuh is not bad but you will agree that he needs to try with the U-20 first. It's a gradual process. I'm telling you, had Sia1 won the U-20, you can be certain that everyone in the country will be calling (if not demand) for him (Sia1) to take over.
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 1:39pm On Nov 17, 2009
FBS:

I'm telling you, had Sia1 won the U-20, you can be certain that everyone in the country will be calling (if not demand) for him (Sia1) to take over.

But does one bad performance change a coach from being a good coach?
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by FBS: 1:39pm On Nov 17, 2009
honeric01:

He was only an interim coach, the former coach that stayed more than 4 years with the 3 lions, he was from Sweden and we all know his name, where did he lead them to? and who was their former coach before Steve Goran Erickson was appointed? was he not also a foreigner?
Me thinks the idea is not about going foreign or getting a foreigner. The issue is (my stand anyway) is to get a good one. Anyone at all. He could be from Sudan for all I care. But he should be good and command respect from the boys.

How high/low do you rate Amodu on the scale of 20?
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by FBS: 1:40pm On Nov 17, 2009
honeric01:

But does one bad performance change a coach from being a good coach?
It was a VERY BAD performance and as such did nothing to enhance his CV. It's the other way round.
Remember a coach is as good as his last match in charge.

What the NFA/NFF can do is to bring them (Amodu and Sia1) together and work as one.
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 1:41pm On Nov 17, 2009
FBS:

Me thinks the idea is not about going foreign or getting a foreigner. The issue is (my stand anyway) is to get a good one. Anyone at all. He could be from Sudan for all I care. But he should be good and command respect from the boys.

How high/low do you rate Amodu on the scale of 20?

Based on his track record, he's rated 7/10 in my own books.
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by jaybee3(m): 1:41pm On Nov 17, 2009
honeric01:

they played good footie under sven but had to succumb to the penalty curse that have been tailing them forever.
Sven was the first foreigner to coach the 3 lions. Cap is only the second ever
former coach was also an interim (peter taylor) right after keegan resigned.

Your point is?
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 1:42pm On Nov 17, 2009
FBS:

It was a VERY BAD performance and as such did nothing to enhance his CV. It's the other way round.
Remember a coach is as good as his last match in charge.

What the NFA/NFF can do is to bring them (Amodu and Sia1) together and work as one.

How many matches has SAF, Mourinho, Pep and co lost so far? (Important matches), are they still good or bad?
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by FBS: 1:42pm On Nov 17, 2009
honeric01:

Based on his track record, he's rated 7/10 in my own books.
Actually I said on the scale of 20!  grin  grin  grin

What is his track record? 2 silver medals at a youth level?  cheesy. Yep he good.  cheesy LOL!
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 1:44pm On Nov 17, 2009
jay bee:

they played good footie under sven but had to succumb to the penalty curse that have been tailing them forever.
Sven was the first foreigner to coach the 3 lions. Cap is only the second ever
former coach was also an interim (peter taylor) right after keegan resigned.

Your point is?

Good what? did i hear you say football? then why didn't they get to the semi-final of the world cup when he was in charge? why didn't they qualify for the European nations' cup?
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by FBS: 1:44pm On Nov 17, 2009
honeric01:

How many matches has SAF, Mourinho, Pep and co lost so far? (Important matches), are they still good or bad?
Maybe you don't read the papers. When they lose the get criticised HEAVILY but even at that they have proven they have what it takes. ALL 3 mentioned are CL/LEAGUE winners! Now that's what I call a track record!
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 1:46pm On Nov 17, 2009
FBS:

Actually I said on the scale of 20!  grin  grin  grin

What is his track record? 2 silver medals?  cheesy. Yep he good.  cheesy LOL!

12/20 in my books, yes, 2 silver medals, what did most of our foreign coach win for us apart from Westerholf? remember that since Amodu has been coaching Nigeria, he has only lost one match.
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 1:48pm On Nov 17, 2009
FBS:

Maybe you don't read the papers. When they lose the get criticised HEAVILY but even at that they have proven they have what it takes. ALL 3 mentioned are CL/LEAGUE winners! Now that's what I call a track record!

But were they fired? before pep won the ucl cup, didn't he lose some league matches?

When SAF lost the final, was he fired?

When mourinho got booted out of ucl by manu, was he fired since we have to rate them based on their last performances.
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by jaybee3(m): 1:49pm On Nov 17, 2009
honeric01:

Good what? did i hear you say football? then why didn't they get to the semi-final of the world cup when he was in charge? why didn't they qualify for the European nations' cup?
He did good with them as they got to 2 consecutive quarter-finals and only lost on pen whilst he was involved.
he wasn't in-charge when they didn't qualify for the last euro championship. It was mclaren
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by FBS: 1:50pm On Nov 17, 2009
honeric01:

12/20 in my books, yes, 2 silver medals, what did most of our foreign coach win for us apart from Westerholf? remember that since Amodu has been coaching Nigeria, he has only lost one match.
Agreed. In fact he never lost a single competitive match which to be frank is commendable.

Just one question though, are you saying Amodu should be retained? I just want to clear up some facts.
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 1:54pm On Nov 17, 2009
jay bee:

He did good with them as they got to 2 consecutive quarter-finals and only lost on pen whilst he was involved.
he wasn't in-charge when they didn't qualify for the last euro championship. It was mclaren

Mclaren took over when it was remaining like 2-3 matches, so it wasn't his fault. what i am trying to say here is that the English people were most successful under a local coach in their entire history so why do some people always bring up the issue of English having a foreign coach, so we should also have one? why's it like that always? don't we know of alot of countries with local coaches doing well like Brazil, Spain, Egypt and the rest? must we always follow the English because they were our colonial master?
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by FBS: 1:56pm On Nov 17, 2009
honeric01:

But were they fired? before pep won the ucl cup, didn't he lose some league matches?

When SAF lost the final, was he fired?

When mourinho got booted out of ucl by manu, was he fired since we have to rate them based on their last performances.
When we say a coach is as good as his last match, I sure you understand what that means?  undecided

JM won the CL before and so the belief is there that he can do it again.
SAF is like you know a mini-god. One of the untouchables even he had his own problems.
Pep won a treble in his first season as a manager. Call it luck or whatever but that was brilliant.
Truely they were not sacked but even if they get sacked, you can be certain that they won't be looking for jobs for a long time. Other TOP clubs will snap them based on their TRACK RECORD!

Now do you mean to say that Amodu will be a HOT CAKE should he get the axe?

Mind you, managing a team (League) and a national team are two different thing entirely. Ask LFS!  cheesy
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 1:58pm On Nov 17, 2009
FBS:

Agreed. In fact he never lost a single competitive match which to be frank is commendable.

Just one question though, are you saying Amodu should be retained? I just want to clear up some facts.

Yes, they can as well add siasia to the technical crew, replace Amokachi or simply send him to some coaching courses (short term). Amodu should take the SE to the nations cup and if he performs well, then he should be left to take them to the world cup. he was under extreme pressure during the world cup qualifiers so now that everything is cleared up, he should be allowed to concentrate and then build a team of his dream.
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by FBS: 2:00pm On Nov 17, 2009
honeric01:

Mclaren took over when it was remaining like 2-3 matches, so it wasn't his fault. what i am trying to say here is that the English people were most successful under a local coach in their entire history so why do some people always bring up the issue of English having a foreign coach, so we should also have one? why's it like that always? don't we know of alot of countries with local coaches during well like Brazil, Spain, Egypt and the rest? must we always follow the English because they were our colonial master?
You know I don't buy that argument!  cool but the truth is England have performed better lately under a foreign manager! Is this by chance or an objective achieved?

Do we need a foreign coach? I don't know.
Do we need "another" coach? Yes, I think so.
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 2:04pm On Nov 17, 2009
FBS:

When we say a coach is as good as his last match, I sure you understand what that means?  undecided

JM won the CL before and so the believe is there that he can do it again.
SAF is like you know a mini-god. One of the untouchables even he had his own problems.
Pep won a treble in his first season as a manager. Call it luck or whatever but that was brilliant.
Truely they were not sacked but even if they get sacked, you can be certain that they won't be looking for jobs for a long time. Other TOP clubs will snap them based on their TRACK RECORD!

Now do you mean to say that Amodu will be a HOT CAKE should he get the axe?

Mind you, managing a team (League) and a national team are two different thing entirely. Ask LFS!  cheesy

Agreed that the first 2 have laurels to show with their CV, but pep never had anything and when he was employed, he lost some virtual matches (before the treble) but was not fired and we later saw what he was able to do (won the treble), so what i am saying now is that we shouldn't just push siasia away just because he did bad with the u-20 (his selections).

Now to coaches handling national teams, the french coach is still there, Egyptian coach is still there and host of others, they perform both good and bad, yet they haven't been fired or replaced with a foreigner, so why do we have to fire a coach yet to lose a competitive match when others have lost more than one? Dunga has lost more matches than Amodu, yet he's taking Brazil to the world cup.
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by FBS: 2:04pm On Nov 17, 2009
honeric01:

Yes, they can as well add siasia to the technical crew, replace Amokachi or simply send him to some coaching courses (short term). Amodu should take the SE to the nations cup and if he performs well, then he should be left to take them to the world cup. he was under extreme pressure during the world cup qualifiers so now that everything is cleared up, he should be allowed to concentrate and then build a team of his dream.
Perhaps you missed this?

FBS:

So basically we are on the same page, innit?  cheesy

But you see, this is something that could have been done if NFF wanted this implemented. I'm not sure they do.
Agreed, he should take the boys to the nations cup and it's a risk we are willing to take though before then, he should engage the team in a couple of friendlies first. . .from there we will see what he is trying to do.
Re: Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria? by MrCrackles(m): 2:06pm On Nov 17, 2009
Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Wenger, SAF or whatever. . .Nigeria will not win the world cup SIMPLY because we aint good enough!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Di Maria Vs Hazard: Who Is A Better Playmaker? / 2odds Daily Proffesor / Europe's Best Penalty Takers In The World Of Football

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.