Stats: 3,150,344 members, 7,808,211 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:47 AM

10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count (51358 Views)

Causes Of Mouth Odour And How To Naturally Get Rid Of It. / 10 Causes Of Mouth Odour / 5 Warning Signs Of Low Blood Sugar (2) (3) (4)

10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by lalasticlala(m): 4:11pm On Dec 21, 2016

A man’s fertility rate generally relies on the quantity and quality of his sperm. If the amount of sperm a man ejaculates is low or if the sperm is of poor quality, it will be difficult and sometimes impossible for him to impregnate a female.

According to Prof. Oladapo Ashiru, a male infertility is usually caused by problems that affect either sperm production in the testes or sperm transport.

See 10 of such causative factors of low sperm count in men.

Prior surgeries

Certain surgeries, including vasectomy, might prevent you from having sperm in your testicles. Inguinal hernia repairs, scrotal or testicular surgeries, prostate surgeries, and large abdominal surgeries performed for testicular and rectal cancers, among others, are also suspect. In most cases, surgery can be performed to either reverse these blockages or to retrieve sperm directly from the epididymis and testicles.

Environmental causes

Sperm production or function can be affected by overexposure to certain environmental elements, including:

Industrial chemicals

Extended exposure to benzenes, toluene, xylene, herbicides, pesticides, organic solvents, painting materials and lead might contribute to low sperm counts. Exposure to lead or other heavy metals also can cause infertility.

Radiation or x-rays

Exposure to radiation can reduce sperm production. It can take several years for sperm production to return to normal. With high doses of radiation, sperm production can be permanently reduced. It is being reported that keeping mobile phones in the pocket, close to the upper thigh, is extremely deleterious to sperm production with resulting low sperm count and morphology.

Drug use/Alcohol

Anabolic steroids taken to stimulate muscle strength and growth can cause the testicles to shrink and sperm production to decrease. Use of cocaine or marijuana might reduce the number and quality of your sperm as well. Alcohol can lower testosterone levels and cause decreased sperm production.

Occupation

Certain occupations might be linked with a risk of infertility, including welding or those associated with prolonged sitting, such as truck driving. However, the data to support these associations are inconsistent.

Lifestyle

Men who smoke might have a lower sperm count than those who don’t smoke.

Also, obesity can impair fertility in several ways, including directly impacting sperm and by causing hormone changes.

Plastics

Bisphenol A, an additive to plastics found in many household products, can lower sperm count and motility. A 2008 study in the journal, Fertility and Sterility, showed that men with high concentrations of BPA in their urine also had low sperm counts. Food packaging is a major source of BPA which can seep into foods.

Pesticides

Scientists also noted that rural men who are mostly farmers who are exposed to pesticides tend to have low sperm count. The chemicals runoff gets into tap water and can disrupt hormonal processes.

Tumours

Cancers and nonmalignant tumours can affect the male reproductive organs directly, through the glands that release hormones related to reproduction, such as the pituitary gland, or through unknown causes. Surgery, radiation or chemotherapy to treat tumours can also affect male fertility.

http://punchng.com/10-factors-responsible-low-sperm-count/

Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by dingbang(m): 4:12pm On Dec 21, 2016

The poster below me says having sex numerous times a day makes a man to have low sperm count.

Is she correct Doctors in the house?
Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by chocolateme(f): 4:14pm On Dec 21, 2016
Op.. I did not see the one of the major reasons i had always thought causes low sperm count.. Which is having sex numerous times on every blessed day.. Thought it reduces low sperm count as there is nothing else left to use and impregnate someone.

MODIFIED***

I just realized that my question above is very apocalyptic but the deed has already been done, can you guys stop quoting me already.. Why is this small thing I commented won't be left alone??
My 'Mentions' don full. E don do joorr.. I yaf tired of reading quotes.

Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by Jhenny(f): 4:46pm On Dec 21, 2016
chocolateme:
Op.. I did not see the one of the major reasons i had always thought causes low sperm count.. Which is having sex numerous times on every blessed day.. Thought it reduces low sperm count as there is nothing else left to use and impregnate someone.

Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by laprince(m): 4:54pm On Dec 21, 2016
Nice topic to grace front page.
Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by ednut1(m): 4:54pm On Dec 21, 2016
then u find solution the nollywood way, get ur wife drunk and ask ur friend/brother to enter d place angry

Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by Rilwayne001: 4:54pm On Dec 21, 2016
chocolateme:
Hahahahaha grin grin this is funny.

Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by obindomanya(m): 4:55pm On Dec 21, 2016
Expulsion from excessive MASTURBATION!

Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by eleojo23: 4:56pm On Dec 21, 2016
chocolateme:
Op.. I did not see the one of the major reasons i had always thought causes low sperm count.. Which is having sex numerous times on every blessed day Thought it reduces low sperm count as there is nothing else left to use and impregnate someone.

Numerous times everyday?
That person no get work o.

Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by Gwilld(m): 4:56pm On Dec 21, 2016
Are you kidding me? grin grin grin
Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by MrPresident1: 4:56pm On Dec 21, 2016
Lalasticlala, I hear that Okro soup also causes this low sperm count, is it true?

Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by daclemx: 4:56pm On Dec 21, 2016
6. The shock of MMM can affect the sperm..lol

Na watin we no go hear. Na so dem say catfish no good.

Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by tundejulius(m): 4:57pm On Dec 21, 2016
now that we no what are the possible solution for each of the ways listed that can affect man .thanks
Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by xamster(m): 4:58pm On Dec 21, 2016
Really
Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by toluleke(m): 4:58pm On Dec 21, 2016
Wat of those with high sperm count.. how can i count my sperm??

Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by Nobody: 4:58pm On Dec 21, 2016
obindomanya:
excessive emission/ejaculation from MASTURBATION!
it helps produce fresher ones

25 Likes

Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by Rick9(m): 4:58pm On Dec 21, 2016
Eh
Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by adewumiopeyemi(m): 4:58pm On Dec 21, 2016
6.. masturbation

Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by Nobody: 4:58pm On Dec 21, 2016
funny guy, y u tink say na that one go cause low count? lwkmd
Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by SWORD419(m): 4:58pm On Dec 21, 2016
Ah Ah

Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by jericco1(m): 4:58pm On Dec 21, 2016
chocolateme:

think again
Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by MrIcredible: 4:59pm On Dec 21, 2016
Wow!

I now know why my neighbor's wife usually complain... grin

He is a truck driver grin

Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by Friedthunder(m): 4:59pm On Dec 21, 2016
chocolateme:
you sure say no be masturbation you dey talk of
Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by MrSmith007: 5:00pm On Dec 21, 2016
Masturbation

Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by Nobody: 5:00pm On Dec 21, 2016
I don't knw where people get the erroneous beer parlour info that masturbation causes low sperm count.
That's a blatant falsehood pushed forward by the puritans to dissuade the act.
Scientifically, masturbation has no effect on sperm count, absolutely none.
It should also be good to educate us that sperm count isn't the volume or quantity of your ejaculate .
No, it's the quality of the ejaculate.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by ajbf: 5:01pm On Dec 21, 2016
I need a girlfriend in Ibadan. Call my number below. I know nothing of low sperm count.
Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by ibadanfinest(m): 5:01pm On Dec 21, 2016
chai o just few comment. Op sef no try, u for use topic like ' why yoruba men.has higher sperm counts than igbo men' if na dat kin topic u use, we for don dey like page 10.

Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by veekid(m): 5:01pm On Dec 21, 2016
I disagree
Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by Nobody: 5:01pm On Dec 21, 2016
chocolateme:

Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by wtfCode: 5:02pm On Dec 21, 2016
Ok, but pls remove marijuana 4rm that list. angry

Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by Segadem(m): 5:02pm On Dec 21, 2016
Re: 10 Causes Of Low Sperm Count by sirhot(m): 5:03pm On Dec 21, 2016
obindomanya:
excessive emission/ejaculation from MASTURBATION!
Try it, jerk off first then penetrate a girl and release then come and tell us the outcome grin angry

Carol Jamabo Dies Of Coronavirus In UK. Son Tests Positive / Black Soot: They Have Returned With A New Strategy And In Full Force! / Osagie Ehanire: 9,000 Persons Have Met With Confirmed Coronavirus Patients