Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,649 members, 7,801,892 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:13 AM

Phil, 2:6 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Phil, 2:6 (1458 Views)

Does Philippians 2:6 Against Or Support The Deity Of Jesus Christ? / Biblical Fact The Pastor Osinbanjo Is Will Of God (2tim 2:6) - Opinion / Support Phil Robertson, Boycott A&E Network. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Phil, 2:6 by angelz(f): 9:22am On Jan 11, 2007
I was reading d bible ystd n saw dis portn. Phil 2:6. It says dat thos Jesus existd in GOD'S form. He neva claim equality wit God. Dat show's dat he's nt equal 2 God. Or wat do u guys tink?
Re: Phil, 2:6 by shahan(f): 10:36am On Jan 11, 2007
Hi angelz,

It depends on the version you were reading. Some modern versions take the liberty of paraphrasing that verse to reflect what they think (and in most cases, the guys behind them have a hard time believing in the deity of Christ); but on the whole it turns out they fail to capture the sense.

I believe the traditional rendering of the verse as captured in the KJV (and some others) gives a good sense of Phil. 2:6, in which it says that Christ. . ."Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery[b][/b] to be equal with God."

The verse wasn't denying Christ's being equal with God; rather it affirms His equality with God, but points out that such a fact was not considered by Christ as robbing God of His divinity. Against the backdrop of any accusation that people were making out Christ to be more than He was, the verse affirms His deity and declares that Christ did not consider that as robbery.

An example of this accusation can be found in John 5:18 where the Jews accused Him of "making Himself equal with God." Now, Phil. 2:6 affirms that Christ was actually equal with God, but that He did not consider that as "robbing God".

Several other versions render that verse in just about the same sense:

(Darby) >> "who, subsisting in the form of God, did not esteem it an object of rapine to be on an equality with God"

(Douay Rheims Bible, 1899) >> "Who being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God"

(EMTV) >> "who, existing in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God"

(ESV) >> "who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped"

(God's Word) >> "Although he was in the form of God and equal with God, he did not take advantage of this equality"

(WNT) >> "Although from the beginning He had the nature of God He did not reckon His equality with God a treasure to be tightly grasped."

Hope this helps. Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Phil, 2:6 by barikade: 3:56pm On Jan 11, 2007
Good word. I've wondered about that verse a while back; but have to agree after studying it that the above carries weight.
Re: Phil, 2:6 by joe4christ(m): 1:53pm On May 21, 2013
John 1
King James Version (KJV)
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was
with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not
any thing made that was made.

John 10:30 The Father and I are one.

Isaiah 9:6 King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son
is given: and the government shall be
upon his shoulder: and his name shall be
called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty
God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of
Peace.

Phillipians 3:10 I want to know Christ and experience the
mighty power that raised him from the
dead. I want to suffer with him, sharing in
his death - Says apostle paul himself.

The mystery behind the Godhead is a mystery indeed, it takes a revelation from the holy spirit to partially understand it, cos in reality it would take us eternity to fully under the love of God and the mystery of the Godhead...
Re: Phil, 2:6 by Tpfkakambo(m): 9:46pm On May 21, 2013
the passage shows tht Jesus christ is God , in nature, as much as God d father, the highest class of Being ever Yet or Inspite of that He submitted Himself to d divine plan of God the Father, all parts of the Holy Trinity hav Distinct Roles they play in the cosmic agenda. And compliance is unreservedly given by all parties involved:members of the trinity.
In d human sense, individuals of high status get resentful if they hav to perform functions tht dents their dignity but Jesus , without resentment, chose to bcome man- a humbling experience. Cuz he'd b hemmed in by his humanity: no more omni presence,omni potence, omni science while in human form.
Very degradg and limitg.
For omni science, and omni potence (knowg and ability) , he had to depend on the Holy spirit And obey the holy spirit. Thts y prior to d baptism of d holy spirit,Jesus performed no miracles.
He was just a carpenter's son.
In d stong of d woman caught in adultery, He had to wait for an answer frm d Holy spirit b4 replyg
God on His part had to Resurrect Jesus from the Dead, Jesus ddnt bring up himself.
Jesus also had to endure public floggg and humiliation and to top it up He who knew no sin had to be sin, i guess this was too much for Jesus to take mentally, but Jesus prayed thru in d garden submittg his Will to the father's will , until in the end He , Jesus will was totally submitted to the Father's will.
But there's a joyful endg.
There was a reward actually for the act of endurg the cross and humiliation.
So all parts of d Trinity partcpated in d salvation of Mankind and it entailed som uncomfortable decisions.

In real life, one way to look at it,is to envision the status of Husband and wife in a marraige.
Wife is not inferior or lower to husband , but for harmonious functiong of d family, husband makes d decision and wife submits and cooperates wth d decision instead of contestg it.
Without d harmonisation of will they will b conflict and no progress.
Re: Phil, 2:6 by truthman2012(m): 9:22pm On May 24, 2013
With God nothing shall be impossible. He can do anything the way He wants it done.

He is capable of dividing His Being into any number but decide to divinde into Three but is still the same God.

He functions in three offices. The office of the Father, the office of the Son, and the office of the Holy Spirit depending on the work He wants to perform.

He became human (Son) to be able to dwell among man. When He decided in His mercy to give man salvation through the shedding of sinless blood, He functioned in the office of the Son.

The above is my opinion and understanding of the Godhead. We shall understand it better by and by.
Re: Phil, 2:6 by ijawkid(m): 9:41pm On May 24, 2013
Tpfkakambo: the passage shows tht Jesus christ is God , in nature, as much as God d father, the highest class of Being ever Yet or Inspite of that He submitted Himself to d divine plan of God the Father, all parts of the Holy Trinity hav Distinct Roles they play in the cosmic agenda. And compliance is unreservedly given by all parties involved:members of the trinity.
In d human sense, individuals of high status get resentful if they hav to perform functions tht dents their dignity but Jesus , without resentment, chose to bcome man- a humbling experience. Cuz he'd b hemmed in by his humanity: no more omni presence,omni potence, omni science while in human form.
Very degradg and limitg.
For omni science, and omni potence (knowg and ability) , he had to depend on the Holy spirit And obey the holy spirit. Thts y prior to d baptism of d holy spirit,Jesus performed no miracles.
He was just a carpenter's son.
In d stong of d woman caught in adultery, He had to wait for an answer frm d Holy spirit b4 replyg
God on His part had to Resurrect Jesus from the Dead, Jesus ddnt bring up himself.
Jesus also had to endure public floggg and humiliation and to top it up He who knew no sin had to be sin, i guess this was too much for Jesus to take mentally, but Jesus prayed thru in d garden submittg his Will to the father's will , until in the end He , Jesus will was totally submitted to the Father's will.
But there's a joyful endg.
There was a reward actually for the act of endurg the cross and humiliation.
So all parts of d Trinity partcpated in d salvation of Mankind and it entailed som uncomfortable decisions.

In real life, one way to look at it,is to envision the status of Husband and wife in a marraige.
Wife is not inferior or lower to husband , but for harmonious functiong of d family, husband makes d decision and wife submits and cooperates wth d decision instead of contestg it.
Without d harmonisation of will they will b conflict and no progress.

Why must it be Jesus who should be subservient all the time??.....why can't the Father for once be under the son??........

Is the Father too proud or what??.......why can't for once in this life Jesus send the Father on an errand??.........why??........

How is that Jesus' GOD is the Father and not vice versa??........

Make ona read scriptures complete before ona run into conclusion o......
Re: Phil, 2:6 by truthman2012(m): 11:03pm On May 24, 2013
ijawkid:

Why must it be Jesus who should be subservient all the time??.....why can't the Father for once be under the son??........

Is the Father too proud or what??.......why can't for once in this life Jesus send the Father on an errand??.........why??........

How is that Jesus' GOD is the Father and not vice versa??........

Make ona read scriptures complete before ona run into conclusion o......

God the Father is a Spirit, which no man can see and live. God the Holy Spirit is invisible to man. God relates with man through God the Son who came in human form, which man can see.
Re: Phil, 2:6 by ijawkid(m): 6:40am On May 25, 2013
truthman2012:

God the Father is a Spirit, which no man can see and live. God the Holy Spirit is invisible to man. God relates with man through God the Son who came in human form, which man can see.

SMH!!!!!.......

It is either we can see God or we cannot see God..........

The scriptures says NO MAN hath sEen God at Ànytime....even Jesus told us that with his own mouth.............

You guys should concede to the basic truth that God is not 3 in 1 and that Jesus is lesser than His Father..........

1 corinthians 11:3.......
Re: Phil, 2:6 by truthman2012(m): 9:54am On May 25, 2013
ijawkid:

SMH!!!!!.......

It is either we can see God or we cannot see God..........

The scriptures says NO MAN hath sEen God at Ànytime....even Jesus told us that with his own mouth.............

You guys should concede to the basic truth that God is not 3 in 1 and that Jesus is lesser than His Father..........

1 corinthians 11:3.......

Then what are your interpretations of the following Bible passages?

1 Timothy 3:16
And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: GOD WAS MANIFEST IN THE FLESH, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

John 10:30
I and my Father are one
Re: Phil, 2:6 by ijawkid(m): 10:11am On May 25, 2013
truthman2012:

Then what are your interpretations of the following Bible passages?

1 Timothy 3:16
And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: GOD WAS MANIFEST IN THE FLESH, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

John 10:30
I and my Father are one

Oh please.....it would surprise u to know that the greek word for GOD "THeos" was not even used in that vers u quoted........

Please read this from other renditions...

New International Version
(©2011)
Beyond all question, the mystery
from which true godliness springs
is great: He appeared in the flesh,
was vindicated by the Spirit, was
seen by angels, was preached
among the nations, was believed on
in the world, was taken up in glory.

New Living Translation (©2007)
Without question, this is the great
mystery of our faith: Christ was
revealed in a human body and
vindicated by the Spirit. He was
seen by angels and announced to
the nations. He was believed in
throughout the world and taken to
heaven in glory.

NO man hath seen GOD.....no man can see GOD and live....hope you remember.....

At john 10:30 Jesus said I and the Father are one,he didn't say I am equal with my Father or that I AM the FATHER......

And don't forget that we and Jesus are one

(1) (Reply)

Court Sentences Rev. King To Death By Hanging { Today 11 -01 -07) Breaking News} / Scientists Create First Synthetic Genome / The All Seeing Eye Of Africa-new World Order

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.