Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:14 PM

Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! (9372 Views)

Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa / Is Nigeria A Visa-free Country To Gambia With My Nigerian Ecowas Passport? / At Last I Have Been Granted A Visa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by babyspice: 10:38am On Nov 18, 2009
Check out this link to this sad tale! Vomit inducing!

A Nigerian Home Office worker 'married' his own daughter to get her a British visa, the Daily Mail can reveal.

The extraordinary scam was apparently executed by Jelili Adesanya while ministers turned a blind eye.

Mr Adesanya, 54, has lived here for more than 30 years and holds a British passport, but wanted his daughter, her husband and their four sons to join him from Nigeria.
happy couple

Big day: The happy 'couple' in their bogus wedding photo

He faked a wedding ceremony complete with a photograph of the happy 'couple' which helped fool immigration officials that his daughter, Karimotu Adenike, was really his wife.

Miss Adenike, who is in her mid-30s, was duly granted permission to live in the UK.
The pair are waiting for her to be granted a permanent right to remain before they undergo a quiet divorce and attempt to bring the rest of her family here.
It is expected she would try to remarry her real husband to get them all visas.
But despite being tipped off two years ago, the Home Office seems to have done nothing to stop the scam by one of their own workers.
Until recently, Mr Adesanya was employed as an occupational health nurse for the Home Office, working with immigration officials at Gatwick airport.
A whistleblower sent letters to the High Commission in Lagos and the UK Border Agency including specific details such as names, addresses, passport numbers and even a copy of the wedding photograph.
When there was no response, he sent emails to then Home Secretary Jacqui Smith and ministers Vernon Coaker and Phil Woolas on February 1 this year. He heard nothing.

Sham: Jelili Adesanya and his 'wife' Karimotu Adenike pictured in Britain

Mr Adesanya, who came to Britain in 1976, flew back to Nigeria on May 29, 2007, and held the bogus wedding ceremony a few days later at a register office in Ikorodu, Lagos.

A source said: 'They paid people to attend the wedding so that the British High Commission in Lagos would believe it was genuine. The commission then gave Karimotu Adenike a two-year settlement visa in October 2007.

'On her settlement visa application form, of course, she did not mention that she already had a husband and four children.

'The date of birth on her Nigerian passport is not her real date of birth.'

Miss Adenike is believed to have aged herself by ten years on her wedding certificate to disguise the age gap with her father.

Although her settlement visa expired last month, she is hoping to be given the right to remain.

David Burrowes, the Conservative MP for Enfield Southgate and Shadow Justice Minister, was also tipped off by the whistleblower and wrote to the Home Office.

This time there was a reply, but it said that although the matter was 'under investigation', no further information would be provided because it could 'breach of our obligations under the Data Protection Act'.

Mr Burrowes told the Mail: 'I am very surprised and concerned that no action appears to have been taken, because the allegations are extremely serious.'

Mr Adesanya, who lives with his daughter in Dagenham, Essex, vehemently denied the plot and said he had never been questioned about the allegations.

He said: 'Married my own daughter? I have never heard anything like this in my life. I deny it. She is my wife, not my daughter.'

However, asked to confirm his 'wife's' date of birth, he said he did not know without checking her passport, and refused to allow her to speak for herself.

Unbeknown to him, his daughter had confirmed the arrangement when she told a friend she would shortly apply for her own British passport and 'divorce daddy'.

Last night Jonathan Sedgwick, from the UK Border Agency, said: 'These individuals are already under investigation, and I want to make it clear that abuse of our immigration laws will not be tolerated.

'If we identify marriages which we believe are not genuine, we will challenge them and prosecute where appropriate.

'We are determined to send home any foreign nationals convicted of these types of crimes once they have served their sentences.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1228739/This-man-married-OWN-daughter-allowed-stay-Britain--Home-Office-knew-it.html
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by justwise(m): 11:07am On Nov 18, 2009
i'm not surprised, smh
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by redsky1: 11:12am On Nov 18, 2009
u see how these bad eggs are ruining it for everyone else.

i'm sick of these kind of stories
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by babyspice: 11:14am On Nov 18, 2009
All i can do is hiss and shake my head.
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by tunnytox(m): 11:36am On Nov 18, 2009
I'm really short of words! this is unbelievable! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by HNIC(m): 11:40am On Nov 18, 2009
I don't think this is new.
I have heard of stories about this kind of scam many years ago.
Desperate Nigerians
and bet this Adesanya man would have been gloating all over about it!
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by KennyG6(m): 11:45am On Nov 18, 2009
sad,
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by redsky1: 11:58am On Nov 18, 2009
HNIC:

I don't think this is new.
I have heard of stories about this kind of scam many years ago.
Desperate Nigerians
and bet this Adesanya man would have been gloating all over about it!

true talk, thats probably how the fool found himself in this mess.

all i have to say is that these people are the ones that make it hard for legitimate people like you and me to marry a non- eu citizen and then bring them over - as soon as they see nigeria their ears stand up,
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by tunnytox(m): 12:00pm On Nov 18, 2009
This man must be very stupid if he has lived in the UK for 30 years why has he not bring his daughter in when she was minor? that would have save him all these hassles
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by coolboy100(m): 12:38pm On Nov 18, 2009
but why all this stories dont you people have something else to do than to pucknose in to people affairs bizzy body them
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by Oluschenco(m): 12:44pm On Nov 18, 2009
coolboy100:

but why all this stories dont you people have something else to do than to pucknose in to people affairs bizzy body them

you self be one of the busy-body, why don't you ignore the post, instead of replying.
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by BAC: 12:47pm On Nov 18, 2009
I am not in support of breaking the law. But the question is who is the whistle blower? It must be a friend of theirs or a family member that knows what is going on. That is what happens to we nigeria we love boasting, especially when we have a little cash,

And i suspect these people are yorubas. I say this  with all due respect to Yorubas, but some of us can be very wicked,  DYOR
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by phuckNL: 12:53pm On Nov 18, 2009
tunnytox:

This man must be very stupid if he has lived in the UK for 30 years why has he not bring his daughter in when she was minor? that would have save him all these hassles

Always quick to throw jabs are we, hen hen?

Do you know what status the man claimed when he came to the UK 30yrs ago. How do you know that he didn't claim that he had no children.
Maybe he entered the UK with a different identity from his original one in naija. There are a million and one reasons.
How do you know he didnt just get his british citizenship recently, after his daughter must have glaringly passed 21yrs of age?
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by bjmighty(m): 12:54pm On Nov 18, 2009
God punish the whistle blower, i wish i could blow the bastard's ass with a gun!!!
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by Nobody: 12:54pm On Nov 18, 2009
Eeeeeeeew! I wonder what the "husband" did when the words, "you may now kiss the bride" were spoken.  embarassed

Speechless.
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by Nobody: 12:55pm On Nov 18, 2009
bjmighty:

God punish the whistle blower, i wish i could blow the bastard's ass with a gun!!!

From your words, I take it you're in full support of fraud and deception?
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by Jeovy(m): 12:58pm On Nov 18, 2009
things people do
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by yjay(f): 1:02pm On Nov 18, 2009
@poster, a lil extreme but he did get wat he wanted
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by beknown(m): 1:03pm On Nov 18, 2009
The man made a mistake.

He is entitled to bring his daughter into the UK after 30 years. He approached the matter wrongly.

I think he got the wrong advice.

People should learn to seek good advice before embarking on delicate matters of immigration. In the UK, there are qualified lawyers and unqualified self-proclaimed-lawyers. Avoid self-proclaimed-lawyers in the UK.
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by tunnytox(m): 1:07pm On Nov 18, 2009
phuck_NL:

Always quick to throw jabs are we, hen hen?

Do you know what status the man claimed when he came to the UK 30yrs ago. How do you know that he didn't claim that he had no children.
Maybe he entered the UK with a different identity from his original one in naija. There are a million and one reasons.
How do you know he didnt just get his british citizenship recently, after his daughter must have glaringly passed 21yrs of age?

I agree with you on this,
BAC:

I am not in support of breaking the law. But the question is who is the whistle blower? It must be a friend of theirs or a family member that knows what is going on. That is what happens to we nigeria we love boasting, especially when we have a little cash,

And i suspect these people are yorubas. I say this  with all due respect to Yorubas, but some of us can be very wicked,  DYOR

i'm Yoruba too and I think you are very right that's how our ppl spoiled Ireland a lot of them only got their papers due to having an Irish born child but they feel on top of the world as if its their father that own the country, the'll never work but claim benefits even for fictitious children that doesn't exists anywhere and to make matter worse if they see any of their Nigerians brothers working illegally they will be threatening and oppressing them.
Honestly, some Nigerians are unbelievable
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by jinski: 1:11pm On Nov 18, 2009
okay, maybe the man messed up trying to play smart, but na who be the amebo that was so desperate to expose them, na wa for nigeria, that was how they were trying to disgrace us during the last U-17 world cup we hosted. God, na only You fit save us o.
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by phuckNL: 1:13pm On Nov 18, 2009
Siena:

While i don't support fraud and deception, i don't think people who were "privileged" or were born in the UK/Citizens have a right to comment on this issue.
If illegal immigrants can hide under trucks to enter the UK, then people can do this. They all have their reasons.

95% of us would probably do something illegal too if we were in the same situation
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by bjmighty(m): 1:26pm On Nov 18, 2009
Siena:

Don't sound like you have never committed a fraud or deceived before? Everybody be tif, na only who police catch people dey shout tif! tif!! tif!!!

Once again, God punish the whistle blower!!
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by echobee(f): 1:39pm On Nov 18, 2009
papa marry pikin. they must be punished on earth, heaven and, grin grin grin grin grin ; hell fire.
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by Theblessed(f): 1:40pm On Nov 18, 2009
[b]God is wonderful! The devil has been defeated! And for those who live and dwell  and act in crooked and Un-Godly ways, just like your master satan, you all have been defeated too.

May God bless the man/woman/teenager/child that blew this whistle and may it be that you blew this whistle based on your moral conscience and not out of spite and jealousy because, if it is then, you too will get your just rewards, one way or the other.  Just make sure your own conscience is clear!    

Imagine a father marrying his own daughter in order to give her and her brood a better future and in the cause of it all, ignored his own Salvation - very sorry indeed!!  Well, their CUPS ARE FULL!  They can not run nor hide now! Sure they are shaking like a leaf and shitting in their pants right now and, wouldn't wish their situation on their worst enemy.  

The investigation coming up is going to be thorough and as there is no bribery/corruption here, too bad! But, who would you bribe when Party Politics is now on it - the Conservative and Liberal Party MP's have interests in the matter - too bad for the Adenike's and others like them.

This is just a minute reason for not blaming people when they have no trust in Nigerians as we are regarded as criminals all over the world. This is a typical example of it and how could anyone blame people for calling and referring to us as criminals.  Shame!!!

Yes, like every parent Mr Adenike was trying to help his own daughter but we are not talking about a 'KID' here, are we??   This is almost a grandmother with a husband and four children of her own, capable of finding her own way in life, abi? Only the devil will save them now, shame, shame, shame!!!
[/b]
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by ZUBBYNWA(m): 1:42pm On Nov 18, 2009
The world is really coming to an end
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by Kc0022000(m): 1:54pm On Nov 18, 2009
What is new about this story for God sake ? Not just Nigerians, people of other national do such, father marry daughter, brother marry sister or sister marry brother its common in Europe. He was just unlucky and the whistleblower should get a life. Never trust no nigga
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:55pm On Nov 18, 2009
Nigerians will never change, unfortunately we drive nails into our own heads, today we see these kind of situations and shout in protest, tomorrow we praise corruption to the high-heavens.

Abeg leaf matter
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by Kc0022000(m): 1:56pm On Nov 18, 2009
Theblessed:

[b]God is wonderful! The devil has been defeated! And for those who live and dwell  and act in crooked and Un-Godly ways, just like your master satan, you all have been defeated too.

May God bless the man/woman/teenager/child that blew this whistle and may it be that you blew this whistle based on your moral conscience and not out of spite and jealousy because, if it is then, you too will get your just rewards, one way or the other.  Just make sure your own conscience is clear!    

Imagine a father marrying his own daughter in order to give her and her brood a better future and in the cause of it all, ignored his own Salvation - very sorry indeed!!  Well, their CUPS ARE FULL!  They can not run nor hide now! Sure they are shaking like a leaf and shitting in their pants right now and, wouldn't wish their situation on their worst enemy.  

The investigation coming up is going to be thorough and as there is no bribery/corruption here, too bad! But, who would you bribe when Party Politics is now on it - the Conservative and Liberal Party MP's have interests in the matter - too bad for the Adenike's and others like them.

This is just a minute reason for not blaming people when they have no trust in Nigerians as we are regarded as criminals all over the world. This is a typical example of it and how could anyone blame people for calling and referring to us as criminals.  Shame!!!

Yes, like every parent Mr Adenike was trying to help his own daughter but we are not talking about a 'KID' here, are we??   This is almost a grandmother with a husband and four children of her own, capable of finding her own way in life, abi? Only the devil will save them now, shame, shame, shame!!!
[/b]
Dont be too hard on urself grin
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by busybody20: 2:00pm On Nov 18, 2009
Kc0022000:

Dont be to hard on urself grin

^^^^^ LOL

grin    grin   grin  grin   grin grin 

grin grin     grin grin   

grin   grin  grin   grin grin   grin  grin    grin    grin   grin  grin   grin
Re: Nigerians! How Far Will We Go! Man Marries Daughter So She Can Get A Visa! by manmustwac(m): 2:03pm On Nov 18, 2009
Am not surprised. I've heard similar stories before. Nigerians don't have morals and integrity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

7 Ways To Avoid Trailer Accidents / Nigerians In Iran / Why Do Nigerians Abroad Always Discourage People From Traveling?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.