Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,963 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:33 AM

Help, I Want To Install A Network Printer - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Help, I Want To Install A Network Printer (2206 Views)

Help On How To Install Pes 2015. / The Easiest Way To Install Blackberry Messenger BBM On PC Using Bluestacks / Can Virus Damage A Network Card (NIC)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help, I Want To Install A Network Printer by alwaysng(m): 12:45pm On Nov 18, 2009
hi everyone, i have trying to install hp deskjet 6940 on my it has a port for RJ45 connector.
why am doing this is because the laptop section in my cafe is using a different class of IP and the laptop section is using a router, so nothing concerns them and my cafe. and i have a deskjet 6940 that i will like to install for laptop section to be using because they cant print in my cafe.
i hope someone will understand what i mean.
thanks
Re: Help, I Want To Install A Network Printer by kok(m): 2:18pm On Nov 18, 2009
This is confusing. I think I can help u out if u can make more sense with your explanation.

since the laptop users are on seperate IP class, it wouldnt be possible for them to access the printer (I guess it is installed on your main server). To be able to access the printer from the laptop side, you will have to setup the printer on that "class".
Re: Help, I Want To Install A Network Printer by alwaysng(m): 5:06pm On Nov 18, 2009
yes, how can i do it since i dont have another server being setup with the laptop IP class.
For further description, the laptop section has there own switch and seprate router.

SERVER-----TO------CAFE SWITCH, THEN ROUTER COLLECTED DHCP FROM THE CAFE SWITCH AND CONVERT IT TO ANOTHER CLASS OF IP AND DISTRIBUTE BACK TO ANOTHER SWITCH THAT IS IN THE LAPTOP SECTION.
Re: Help, I Want To Install A Network Printer by DualCore1: 6:53pm On Nov 18, 2009
I really shouldn't have skipped those CCNA lectures cry
Re: Help, I Want To Install A Network Printer by mikesleek(m): 10:17pm On Nov 19, 2009
the subnet the cafe section is on does not matter. If you want the entire cafe to print from that printer, then you configure the forwading of the packets across the router, dst-nat can solve that. If it's only the laptop section that needs the printer, just plug in the network cable into it. Since it has an rj45 connector, just plug and configure all the systems to connect to it. There is no need for a print rver then. I might need further explanation to help you out. You may choose to give me a call. My no is below.
Re: Help, I Want To Install A Network Printer by alwaysng(m): 12:49am On Nov 20, 2009
How can i configure and install it if i plug it to the laptop switch.
further explanation:
cafe IP is 192.168.2.1which is coming from the linux server.
laptop has a route(mikrotik hotspot ) which is plugged to the cafe switch and configured as a dhcp I.E collecting IP address from the linux server and distributing dhcp back to laptop switch plugged in the second port of the router which is now giving laptop section 192.168.0.1.
so automatically laptop is not seeing anything happening in 192.168.2.1 and i have a network printer deskjet 6940 which i want to configure and plug to the laptop switch for them to be using.
thanks and waiting for your kind reply and instructions.
Re: Help, I Want To Install A Network Printer by mikesleek(m): 8:20am On Nov 20, 2009
Ok
1. If i may infer, the mikrotik would be the one giving IP addresses because it is capable of doing that. The network printer has a default IP address. The printer has a static IP assigned to it by default. What you need to do is to press the HP report button on the printer. This button prints the current config of the printer, which includes the IP address assigned by default.

Open a web browser in your laptop section and type http://<the ip address you found in the hp report button> press enter. It navigates you to the configuration web page of the hp printer. Configure an ip say 192.168.0.250 as the ip of the printer, go to your Mikrotik and reconfigure your dhcp lease excluding this IP from the IP lease. You can then add your network printer to the each individual system. Remember that the printer is connected to the switch in the laptop section of your cafe. I hope this is helpful enough, else still feel free to call me.
Re: Help, I Want To Install A Network Printer by alwaysng(m): 5:15pm On Nov 20, 2009
ok, thanks, i will do as instructed and get back to you .

am grateful
Re: Help, I Want To Install A Network Printer by alwaysng(m): 4:48pm On Nov 22, 2009
@mikesleek ,
thanks so much it worked perfectly, am very grateful, i have always loved to be a good network administrator as my career. and dont know if you can help me to achieve this? presently am a system administrator in a cybercafe.
thanks
alwaysng@gmailcom
Re: Help, I Want To Install A Network Printer by mikesleek(m): 10:56pm On Nov 22, 2009
i am so glad i was able to help, as for being a good network administrator, i'll mail you on that.
Re: Help, I Want To Install A Network Printer by alwaysng(m): 4:30pm On Nov 30, 2009
i find it difficult to connect to the printer with a windows XP laptop. with vista is easy and connects to the printer but with xp, i cant find the printer.
any help please.
Re: Help, I Want To Install A Network Printer by DoubleN(m): 10:16pm On Nov 30, 2009
Make sure the Printer Drivers are installed on the XP Machines N:B Use the Setup CD that came with the Printer.
Re: Help, I Want To Install A Network Printer by omega25red(m): 8:14pm On Dec 01, 2009
better yet install the printer driver on your application server so that the drivers would be in your system that way you dont have to go to each individual computer to install the drivers.
Re: Help, I Want To Install A Network Printer by mikesleek(m): 10:51pm On Dec 01, 2009
because its a network printer you have to add the network node on the system. Searching for it manually will not suffice. go to add local printer the create port, select network port and next next solves the rest. Im sleepy so in the morning ill give u a detailed breakdown.

@all, please always read posts before you reply!
Re: Help, I Want To Install A Network Printer by alwaysng(m): 8:07am On Dec 08, 2009
because its a network printer you have to add the network node on the system. Searching for it manually will not suffice. go to add local printer the create port, select network port and next next solves the rest. Im sleepy so in the morning ill give u a detailed breakdown.

@all, please always read posts before you reply!
are u awake now? please i will like you to give me the detailed breakdown like you did before so that i can understand better and do it perfectly.
thanks alot for your kindness and support.
Re: Help, I Want To Install A Network Printer by mikesleek(m): 11:43am On Dec 08, 2009
if you get to the add printer wizard click next, select add a printer located on this computer, click next, click on create a new port and then click standard tcp/ip port. Im sure at this point you are now familiar with the remaining steps.
Re: Help, I Want To Install A Network Printer by alex0026(m): 12:27pm On Dec 09, 2009
you can post all your computer and computer-related questions here for free or alternatively you can get additional information at computerpleasure.com
Thanks
Re: Help, I Want To Install A Network Printer by alex0026(m): 12:29pm On Dec 09, 2009
you can post all your computer and computer-related questions here for free or alternatively you can get additional information at computerpleasure.com
Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Microsoft Encarta Maths Activation Key Help / Used Hp Nc620 Laptop 4 Sale @ 38k. / Hp 6735s Laptop Starts, But Wont Boot.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.