Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,988 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:35 PM

Christmas Day. The Worst Day Of My Life! A Short Story. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Christmas Day. The Worst Day Of My Life! A Short Story. (1762 Views)

The Worst Day Of My Life- A Short Story / The Worst Day Of My Life / What's The Worst Grammatical Error You Have Ever Heard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christmas Day. The Worst Day Of My Life! A Short Story. by darbeelicous(f): 5:58am On Dec 25, 2016
The cold harmatan breeze crept into my room and sent chills running through my body which ended up in my feet, which did not only remind me that my blanket has pulled out, it also reminds me that the day is finally here, its Christmas day! A day of laughter to others but a day of sorrow to me! As I recalled all the events that has occurred on this day from the past 18 years of my life. I got up from the bed as I try not to remember these things from my past...... Fortunately, my phone is lying close to me as always likewise my my daughter ivie, I could hear her heart beat and her calm breath which I know can only mean that she is so excited about this day, unlike her mother. So I got up from the bed and tries to prepare for work, as my profession does not give break even in this so called festive season. As a doctor, I've been used to always be ready incase of an emergency, just then Ivie woke up and said the most annoying statement that I've ever heard "merry Christmas mom" she said.
i still don't get what is so merry about Christmas, so i ignored her, i picked up my phone using the backlight to locate the light switch turned it on and starts preparing for work.

To be continued............

1 Like

Re: Christmas Day. The Worst Day Of My Life! A Short Story. by darbeelicous(f): 4:58pm On Dec 25, 2016
Continuation.........

At 16:15am, I knew that if I don't get ready fast, I may be late for work, so I woke ivie up "I v" I said, "wake up and start preparing breakfast" she murmured a bit but later got up and adjusted the wrapper tied to her chest, "gud morning mom" she said I replied her greeting and continued shuffling through my wardrobe to get a suitable dress for the days work. After what seems to be a long while, I later found a short blue dress and a white jacket which is just perfect. As I got close to the bathroom door, I heard ivie's usual worship songs which have become a tradition for her every morning since she joined a fellowship in her school. I never tried to stop her because she is old enough to make her own decisions, she would only be disappointed when her god fails her and I would be there for her as always. Few minutes later im done with shower and getting dressed for work. I took my phone and found six missed calls and a bunch of text messages, I don't bother to reply because I knew they all have something to do with the season. I heard some noise from the kitchen and also noticed that ivie is no longer praying so she must be in the kitchen preparing breakfast. At about 6:55 I have finished dressing and went straight to the dining table, but discovered that breakfast is not ready, so I decided to wait a bit since I wouldn't resume work until 7:30.
"IV" I called, "why is it taking so long?" "I'm coming mom" she replied. As I sat down, I stared at the pictures on the wall, I saw a baby picture of ivie which was taking about 16 years ago while she was just a year old. I couldn't help but admire her and how beautiful she has become. Then I saw Felix, ivie's late father. Each time I see this picture, fresh memories runs through my head, how we met, the times we spent together, and how he died.

1 Like

Re: Christmas Day. The Worst Day Of My Life! A Short Story. by darbeelicous(f): 11:34pm On Dec 25, 2016
It was December 31st about eighteen years ago when I first met Felix, I just lost my parents through a tragic car accident on 25th on their way to visit a friend, after their death, I practically gave up on God, I became devastated and had lots of questions on my mind. That was when I met Felix, he was nice and caring, I later discovered that he is the leader of a fellowship back then in school. I was able to get over the tragedy with his help and in no time I started believing in God again, Felix never failed to show how much he loved me and one year after his graduation we got married. Life couldn't have been better for me, I had everything I ever wanted, the love of my life, medicine school, and I was pregnant for IV too. But then the nightmare began on march, After IV was born, Felix started having some awkward symptoms, the doctor said that it was cancer we spent all our savings on treatments and drugs and when all seems to be getting better, on December 25th Felix just slumped and died. I mourned and prayed endlessly but nothing really happened i began to realize that there truly is no god, its all fake and deceit. I struggled to graduate from med school and got a job at a famous hospital where i work as a senior staff till today. All my earnings I've used to make sure that my only jewel have a better future.
Re: Christmas Day. The Worst Day Of My Life! A Short Story. by darbeelicous(f): 12:12am On Dec 26, 2016
I looked at my watch and discovered that it was 7:15, "oh my God" I said, I don't think I can wait any longer so I called IV and asked her to package the meal and bring it over to my office at about 12noon which is when I go out for my lunch break. As I drove through the streets of idehen, I couldn't help but notice the changes, there were lights and all manners of Christmas decorations everywhere and they where actually beautiful but I thought that they are worthless, I mean why waste money in something that is meaningless while there are less privilege out there who are in dire need of it. In no time I was at the hospital attending to patients, before my lunch break I had treated about five patients and I became exhausted. At exactly 12pm I sat in my office patiently waiting for IV to come with the packaged meal when nurse bimbo rushed into my office " doctor ese please there is an emergency which requires your urgent attention" I became furios, why would I be sent for when they know that this is my break, besides I'm waiting for my daughter who doesn't like to wait whenever she comes around. So I asked nurse bimbo to hold on until when I'm done, or if the situation is that urgent, let them speak with another doctor who is on duty, besides I'm not the only doctor in this hospital. I could see the tension and fear in her eyes as she ran out of my office. I waited throughout my lunch break for IV but she never showed up, shortly after, i was summoned by the board for an urgent meeting, no one told me what the meeting is all about and i could see several people staring at me as i walked through the halls down to the "dark room" as we usually called it. I've been in this room often but today is different, something seemed wrong as all the staffs present kept on staring at me. "Dr ese idahosa" one of them said "yes sir i replied" "please be seated" he said. I sat down but still couldn't help but notice the piercing look on their faces. Then he continued "Dr Ese, you have been one of our finest staff in this hospital, one we have been very proud of, but today's event has made us think otherwise and made a very hard decision. Today a lady who goes by the name ivie idahosa, was rushed into the hospital after sustaining a serious injury on her head in a terrible accident, nurse bimbo said that they called your attention but you declined and according to her statement, your exact words were "im not the only doctor in this hospitaL" it was later discovered that she is your daughter but it was too late!" his words ran through my heart like a piercing sword, nothing else really matters anymore, my only jewel has been taking away from me, on Christmas day! I became lost in my own thought, motionless, without reaction, right there, death is the only thing that could console me. I over heard him saying other things an then " Dr Ese im sorry, you are fired" that was the last thing i remembered an then blackout...........
Re: Christmas Day. The Worst Day Of My Life! A Short Story. by darbeelicous(f): 12:38am On Dec 26, 2016
"mom, mom, mom" I kept hearing this voice that sounds like my daughter's, my first thought was that I've gone to join my girl in the land of the dead, but the voice kept calling and it became clearer now, I managed to open my eyes and the environment seems very familiar, I looked around and realized that I'm in my house, on the dining precisely, and my daughter ivie was standing with a tray of food in her hands and with questioning eyes, it all made sence to me, I have been dreaming all this while, I must have falling asleep while I was reflecting on the past, but I looked at my watch just to be sure and of course, it's just 7:15am. Unexplainable joy filled my heart at that moment, knowing that i still have my daughter and my job! As she kept the tray on the table i quickly hugged her and gave her a kiss. She kept asking why I'm exited but i was overjoyed even to answer her. I took my breakfast and went to work. At work, i find myself praying that none of those terrible events in my dream should ever happen. Later that day, i was summoned to the "dark room" my heart skipped, but i found the courage to go. When i got there, i met the exact people in my dreams, and then the senior staff from my dream spoke "Dr Ese Idahosa, you have been one of our finest staff and one we have been proud of" his words melted like wax in my soul, i remembered my dream and his exact words and i became more afraid. He continued " the events of today has made us to come to this hard decision, you are promoted! We discovered that not many staff turned up today, and since you came, you have been hardworking and diligent despite the sacrifice you must have made." immediately unexplainable joy filled my heart and i thanked him and every one present. That day, when i got home, i had a change of mind and story, i realized that God has always been there for me and i allowed my circumstances to becloud my reasoning. I went back to God and found peace, i took ivie out to celebrate while i told her about the reason for my sudden change of heart and we laughed like never before....... Indeed Christ brings peace and unending laughter.
Merry Christmas all, and a prosperous new year in advance!

1 Like

Re: Christmas Day. The Worst Day Of My Life! A Short Story. by darbeelicous(f): 12:51am On Dec 26, 2016
My dearest esteemed readers, I hope you like the story, this is my first, I really wish you enjoyed it, I'm not a professional, neither am I a writer but your comments, contributions, and criticism would go a long way. Thanks pals.
Ps, none of those things really happened, they are all imaginations, I write for the fun of it.
Re: Christmas Day. The Worst Day Of My Life! A Short Story. by jjbest123(m): 7:55am On Dec 26, 2016
cheesy cheesy I Enjoyed The Fiction Keep It Up.
Re: Christmas Day. The Worst Day Of My Life! A Short Story. by darbeelicous(f): 1:19pm On Dec 26, 2016
jjbest123:
cheesy cheesy I Enjoyed The Fiction Keep It Up.
thanks alot dear, I'm glad you did.
Re: Christmas Day. The Worst Day Of My Life! A Short Story. by gohzieh(m): 12:19pm On Jan 01, 2017
Oh! What a suspense! I almost got lost in the suspense. No work dear
Re: Christmas Day. The Worst Day Of My Life! A Short Story. by bot101(m): 5:25pm On Jan 01, 2017
Interesting and captivating but SHORT angry angry
Re: Christmas Day. The Worst Day Of My Life! A Short Story. by darbeelicous(f): 5:43pm On Jan 01, 2017
gohzieh:
Oh! What a suspense! I almost got lost in the suspense. No work dear
really...... Tnk u plenty!
complements.
Re: Christmas Day. The Worst Day Of My Life! A Short Story. by darbeelicous(f): 6:01pm On Jan 01, 2017
bot101:
Interesting and captivating but SHORT angry angry
hmmm...... I'm really glad u find it interesting, like I said, its my first story here, that's y its short.......... I guess the sequel would be longer than this.
Re: Christmas Day. The Worst Day Of My Life! A Short Story. by Missmossy(f): 7:49pm On Jan 01, 2017
Beautiful piece cheesy me likey nice read.
Re: Christmas Day. The Worst Day Of My Life! A Short Story. by darbeelicous(f): 9:16pm On Jan 01, 2017
Missmossy:
Beautiful piece cheesy me likey nice read.
wow, you just made my day! Thanks alot dearie.
Re: Christmas Day. The Worst Day Of My Life! A Short Story. by Anijay1212(m): 6:54am On Mar 18, 2017
Good story.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (Reply)

Book Reviews / Revolution / Story Pursuit Of Passion By Ayodeji Oyekanmi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.