Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,945 members, 7,806,734 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:10 PM

NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel (3443 Views)

NASA Spacex Crew Return: Dragon Capsule Splashes Down / Human Wash Machine Will Bathe You Faster And Better (PHOTOS) / How To Check If Your Prepaid Meter Is Consuming Credit Unit Faster Than Expected (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by superemmy(m): 7:24pm On Dec 25, 2016
Facts About Possible Faster than Light Space Travel

My attention has been drawn to the inaccuracy of many nairalanders on the subject of “Space Travel” especially to educate those who are ignorant of the Advancing technology to make this a reality.

First off I’d begin by explaining what an Alcubierre Drive is.

An Alcubierre also known as Alcubierre metric or warp drive is an idea based on a solution of Einstein’s field equation in general relativity. It is a mathematical model of a viable space time travel means proposed by Miguel Alcubierre a renowned Scientist, by which a Space Craft, Ship or Vessel could achieve faster than light travel within a relatively short time.

An Alcubierre drive uses a configurable high “energy density field” in the form of negative mass to traverse distances by contracting space in front of it and expanding space behind it; rather than exceeding the speed of light within the space time vacuum.

To simply explain an Alcubierre one must understands Einstein’s Law of special relativity E=mc2,
Here, c is the maximum speed at which all matter and hence all information in the Universe can travel. It is the speed at which all massless particles travel in a vacuum regardless of the motion of the source or frame of the observer. C interrelates space and time and appears in the famous equation E=mc2 as mass – energy equivalence.
Note the use of the word vacuum to denote space time relative to speed.

From Einstein’s theory it would be almost virtually impossible with our current or near future tech to achieve such speeds (accelerating a spaceship with massive amounts of energy to a near massless light speed state in the vacuum of space). Even if we had this speed energies, it would be another challenge to slow down the race of these energies when we’ve reached our desired destination without being obliterated.

The Alcubierre drive operates on the principles of a negative energy density through a combination of expensive and exotic matter and antimatter particles to create a “warp bubble” enabling space time to move around the object rather than the object moving in space time as opposed to SOL travel.

In other words, any human travelling by Einstein’s SOL means, would feel the full effects of high gravitational force speed pressure while Alcubierre FTL would move space around the object repositioning it.
How? You may Ask, is derived from the fact that nothing exceeds the speed of light except space which can expand and contract at any speed.

In effect Faster-than-Light travel is a manipulation of space rather than speed thereby still obeying Einstein’s Law of Physics.

While NASA and other space agencies are working harder to build an effective model with the need to create large quantities of negative energy particles for this feat, here is hope that this loophole in general relativity would allow us go places really fast as measured by both Earth observers and observers on the spaceship measured in weeks or months as opposed to hundred – thousands of years.

Such a trip to Alpha Centauri (Proxima) which is 4.3 light years away would take 2 weeks with an Alcubierre drive.
P.S: So whenever you hear 100 or 1000 light years my friends no fear, one day we’ll get there. I pray I’d be reincarnated to pilot a ship.

I believe in the human race.

FTL - faster than Light
SOL - Speed of Light

An Alcubierre model drive space ship below

CC: Seun, Lalasticlala, Nobody, Dollyak

3 Likes

Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by Onechancearmy(m): 7:39pm On Dec 25, 2016
superemmy:

My attention has been drawn to the inaccuracy of many nairalanders on the subject of “Space Travel” especially to educate those who are ignorant of the Advancing technology to make this a reality.

An Alcubierre also known as Alcubierre metric or warp drive is an idea based on a solution of Einstein’s field equation in general relativity. It is a mathematical model of a viable space time travel means proposed by Miguel Alcubierre a renowned Scientist, by which a Space Craft, Ship or Vessel could achieve faster than light travel within a relatively short time.

An Alcubierre drive uses a configurable high “energy density field” in the form of negative mass to traverse distances by contracting space in front of it and expanding space behind it; rather than exceeding the speed of light within the space time vacuum.

To simply explain an Alcubierre one must understands Einstein’s Law of special relativity E=mc2,
Here, c is the maximum speed at which all matter and hence all information in the Universe can travel. It is the speed at which all massless particles travel in a vacuum regardless of the motion of the source or frame of the observer. C interrelates space and time and appears in the famous equation E=mc2 as mass – energy equivalence.

From Einstein’s theory it would be almost virtually impossible with our current or near future tech to achieve such speeds (accelerating a spaceship with massive amounts of energy to a near massless light speed state in the vacuum of space). Even if we had this speed energies, it would be another challenge to slow down the race of these energies when we’ve reached our desired destination without being obliterated.

The Alcubierre drive operates on the principles of a negative energy density through a combination of expensive and exotic matter and antimatter particles to create a “warp bubble” enabling space time to move around the object rather than the object moving in space time as opposed to SOL travel.

In other words, any human travelling by Einstein’s SOL means, would feel the full effects of high gravitational force speed pressure while Alcubierre FTL would move space around the object repositioning it.
How? You may Ask, is derived from the fact that nothing exceeds the speed of light except space which can expand and contract at any speed.

In effect Faster-than-Light travel is a manipulation of space rather than speed thereby still obeying Einstein’s Law of Physics.

While NASA and other space agencies are working harder to build an effective model with the need to create large quantities of negative energy particles for this feat, here is hope that this loophole in general relativity would allow us go places really fast as measured by both Earth observers and observers on the spaceship measured in weeks or months as opposed to hundred – thousands of years.

Such a trip to Alpha Centauri (Proxima) which is 4.3 light years away would take 2 weeks with an Alcubierre drive.
P.S: So whenever you hear 100 or 1000 light years my friends no fear, one day we’ll get there. I pray I’d be reincarnated to pilot a ship.

FTL - faster than Light
SOL - Speed of Light

Is the Alcubierre drive a true life demonstration of the concept of warp traveling which is common in science fiction ( like Star Trek and Star Wars)?

1 Like

Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by superemmy(m): 7:43pm On Dec 25, 2016
Onechancearmy:

Is the Alcubierre drive a true life demonstration of the concept of warp traveling which is common in science fiction ( like Star Trek and Star Wars)?

Yes it is a true life concept demonstration but differs in minor details whereby the energies required to perform this is enormous

But it differs from star wars though whereby starwars hyperdrive uses a travel system based on acceleration with traditional speed of light methods rather than alcubierre warp drive

1 Like

Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by Onechancearmy(m): 7:47pm On Dec 25, 2016
superemmy:

Yes it is a true life concept demonstration but differs in minor details whereby the energies required to perform this is enormous

But it differs from star wars though whereby starwars hyperdrive uses a travel system based on acceleration to traditional speed of light methods rather than alcubierre warp drive

So in theory the only thing stopping us from witnessing this is the lack of a reliable energy source. But what about nuclear energy? Can't it be harnessed?

3 Likes

Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by pimplucious: 8:14pm On Dec 25, 2016
So there are technologies that allow the manipulation of space that hypnotizes the mind to actually think it's traveling faster than space? And this will one day become reality? Idonbelieveit!!!

2 Likes

Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by dhardline(m): 8:18pm On Dec 25, 2016
I actually believe it's possible but the only issue is that man might not be able to make the journey, instead artificial or robotic beings will be used not only FTL but also time travel.

3 Likes

Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by superemmy(m): 8:37pm On Dec 25, 2016
Yes you're correct about a reliable energy source. The ability of the drive hinges on only the principle of negative mass energy which is delicate, hard and expensive to create. nuclear energyon the other hand has been proposed aa a viable means too but it cannot achieve ftl travel especially when the nuclear energies would have to be exploded in massive quantities to achieve only a fraction of light speed

Onechancearmy:

So in theory the only thing stopping us from witnessing this is the lack of a reliable energy source. But what about nuclear energy? Can't it be harnessed?

1 Like

Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by superemmy(m): 8:38pm On Dec 25, 2016
pimplucious:
So there are technologies that allow the manipulation of space that hypnotizes the mind to actually think it's traveling faster than space? And this will one day become reality? Idonbelieveit!!!

Believe it brother. There was once a time people never believed a plane could make transatlantic travel

1 Like

Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by superemmy(m): 8:41pm On Dec 25, 2016
dhardline:
I actually believe it's possible but the only issue is that man might not be able to make the journey, instead artificial or robotic beings will be used not only FTL but also time travel.

Robots, I pray mankind dies not use its own hand to destroy itself. Terminator usually comes to mind whenever I just hear robots

1 Like

Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by OlympianZeus(m): 9:06pm On Dec 25, 2016
Nice Write up Very Interesting to know
We need more stuff on this section

1 Like

Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by OlympianZeus(m): 9:18pm On Dec 25, 2016
pimplucious:

I think what the Op is trying to say is that it travels with space not faster or slower Than space.

2 Likes

Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by superemmy(m): 9:22pm On Dec 25, 2016
OlympianZeus:

I think what the Op is trying to say is that it travels with space not faster or slower Than space.

Thanks for contributing Sir you really passed across the info.

1 Like

Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by Fash20: 9:50pm On Dec 25, 2016
One thing.
Space travel is not for human
Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by superemmy(m): 7:18am On Dec 26, 2016
Fash20:
One thing.

Baba why'd you say so?

1 Like

Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by OlympianZeus(m): 7:28am On Dec 26, 2016
Except your talking about our molecular structure (body) Ability to withstand different types of radiation we don't know about yet. But space travel is possible and it will happen maybe a 100-1000 years but humans will achieve it. That's if we've not finished ourselves with nuclear weapons sha

Fash20:
One thing.

2 Likes

Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by OlympianZeus(m): 7:55am On Dec 26, 2016
Onechancearmy:

If I remember correctly in starwars/startrek using hyperdrives; a jump to lightspeed turns the stars into receding lines indicating a.) the ship is accelerating at the speed of light in space. b.) g-force is felt by crew members.

The Alcubierre warp drive on the other hand a jump to warp speed indicates a.) the ship moves with the contraction and expansion of space as space is faster than light a result of the Big Bang Theory. b.) no g-force is felt and virtually no acceleration.

It think they're virtually 2 different means
Our ability to build such a device could take centuries.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by ChiChilolo(f): 8:44am On Dec 26, 2016
Could you clarify more on worm holes nd the technicalities of teleportation travel. Fyi I'm a science geek oooo.

2 Likes

Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by SaintChukz(m): 9:55am On Dec 26, 2016
ChiChilolo:
Could you clarify more on worm holes nd the technicalities of teleportation travel. Fyi I'm a science geek oooo.

It's interesting to find a lady especially on NL who is interested in things connected with space travel and rocket science. I loved the part you stated in bold.

Another thing I also find interesting is that you just signed up on NL today. So I say you're welcome to Nairaland! Let's see if you'll get to stay long enough to be inducted on NL.

3 Likes

Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by SaintChukz(m): 10:17am On Dec 26, 2016
superemmy:

FTL - faster than Light
SOL - Speed of Light

It would be interesting to see how that vacuum environment through which the specially built space craft, ship, vessel or whatever device is deployed to embark on such space-time travel.

"Vacuum" by my own understanding is even more vast than our universe so it's not like a tunnel will be built in space to facilitate such feat.

Like you stated above in the article; I concur with Einstein's theory that it will be virtually impossible to achieve such feat given the available & future technology at man's disposal. Give or take...even if man can achieve it in a 1000 years, it can never be in our current body (carbon) mass form. I'll love to think by then we must have evolved into something else say a higher compositional & intellectual form without our current physical bodies.

3 Likes

Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by ChiChilolo(f): 10:33am On Dec 26, 2016
SaintChukz:

It's interesting to find a lady especially on NL who is interested in things connected with space travel and rocket science. I loved the part you stated in bold.

Another thing I also find interesting is that you just signed up on NL today. So I say you're welcome to Nairaland! Let's see if you'll get to stay long enough to be inducted on NL.

Thanks I've always been observing with my sister's handle for a while

1 Like

Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by SaintChukz(m): 10:47am On Dec 26, 2016
ChiChilolo:

Thanks I've always been observing with my sister's handle for a while

Nice...It's good to have you on here. Also i believe it's more fun & educating to have one's own handle on NL...you've made the better choice. Once again...you're welcome!

2 Likes

Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by superemmy(m): 11:21am On Dec 26, 2016
ChiChilolo:

I'll do a proper detailed research analysis on wormhole and teleportation travel. And make sure I update here on nairaland. Nice contribution though

It's rare to see Science Tech babes though. You must be unique.

2 Likes

Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by superemmy(m): 11:27am On Dec 26, 2016
SaintChukz:

It would be interesting to see how that vacuum environment through which the specially built space craft, ship, vessel or whatever device is deployed to embark on such space-time travel.

"Vacuum" by my own understanding is even more vast than our universe so it's not like a tunnel will be built in space to facilitate such feat.

Like you stated above in the article; I concur with Einstein's theory that it will be virtually impossible to achieve such feat given the available & future technology at man's disposal. Give or take...even if man can achieve it in a 1000 years, it can never be in our current body (carbon) mass form. I'll love to think by then we must have evolved into something else say a higher compositional & intellectual form without our current physical bodies.

I agree with you bro, the next question is how we will evolve? Either by technological advancements, genetic engineering or natural selection
Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by superemmy(m): 11:29am On Dec 26, 2016
I couldn't have explained it any better

OlympianZeus:

If I remember correctly in starwars/startrek using hyperdrives; a jump to lightspeed turns the stars into receding lines indicating a.) the ship is accelerating at the speed of light in space. b.) g-force is felt by crew members.

The Alcubierre warp drive on the other hand a jump to warp speed indicates a.) the ship moves with the contraction and expansion of space as space is faster than light a result of the Big Bang Theory. b.) no g-force is felt and virtually no acceleration.

It think they're virtually 2 different means
Our ability to build such a device could take centuries.

2 Likes

Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by OlympianZeus(m): 11:41am On Dec 26, 2016
superemmy:
I couldn't have explained it any better

No P. Op I myself have done some research into all this quantum physics, laws and insterstellar travel means.
Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by Fash20: 11:46am On Dec 26, 2016
OlympianZeus:
Except your talking about our molecular structure (body) Ability to withstand different types of radiation we don't know about yet. But space travel is possible and it will happen maybe a 100-1000 years but humans will achieve it. That's if we've not finished ourselves with nuclear weapons sha

We can travel from one planet to another but not into deep deep space.
Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by Fash20: 11:49am On Dec 26, 2016
superemmy:

Baba why'd you say so?

I use to think Hollywood has influenced most of these recent theories
gringringrin

2 Likes

Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by OlympianZeus(m): 11:50am On Dec 26, 2016
Fash20:

We can travel from one planet to another but not into deep deep space.

Sometimes I too wonder if there's a difference between Deep Space and Normal Outer Space or if Space is Space.

I guess I'm onto too much weed undecided

1 Like

Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by superemmy(m): 11:57am On Dec 26, 2016
You might be right but most technological advancements have come by stimulation of creativity and inspiration from Hollywood movies and scifi novels. smiley

Fash20:

I use to think Hollywood has influenced most of these recent theories
gringringrin

1 Like

Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by superemmy(m): 11:59am On Dec 26, 2016
Hehehe that's just deep grin grin

OlympianZeus:

Sometimes I too wonder if there's a difference between Deep Space and Normal Outer Space or if Space is Space.

I guess I'm onto too much weed undecided
Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by ChiChilolo(f): 12:02pm On Dec 26, 2016
Thanks

SaintChukz:

Nice...It's good to have you on here. Also i believe it's more fun & educating to have one's own handle on NL...you've made the better choice. Once again...you're welcome!
Re: NASA Facts About Possible Faster Than Light Space Travel by ChiChilolo(f): 12:04pm On Dec 26, 2016
I am tnx

superemmy:

I'll do a proper detailed research analysis on wormhole and teleportation travel. And make sure I update here on nairaland. Nice contribution though

It's rare to see Science Tech babes though. You must be unique.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Geekvape Griffin 25 Plus VS Geekvape Griffin 25 Mini Tank / Wants To Start Importing Brand NEW Original Items From U.SA&CHINA Cheap urself? / Samsung Working On Flexible Phone With Less Battery Use

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.