Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,347 members, 7,808,216 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:53 AM

Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? (4289 Views)

Times Higher Education Lists University Of Ibadan As Top 400 In Medical Science / Covenant, UNN Break Into Times Higher Education (THE) Top 1000 World Rankings / List Of Top 25 Universities In Africa In 2017 Ranked By Times Higher Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by BizLifeE: 1:57am On Dec 26, 2016
Yes, very much. Not studying abroad, in itself, which gave me a wealth of experience.

But taking GERMANY to do a Masters, and then a PhD.

This is a country

That moans about immigrants but won t give the most qualified, those who have German degrees, even as prestigious as a PhD, a realistic chance.

Your years spend here count for nothing. You basically go and beg immigration to give more time. I have been here for more than seven years and I am in the same position as when I first landed in Germany. n spite of my degrees, my scholarships, my fluent German, my talents, I might have to go back to the hell hole I escaped from years ago.
German universities spend millions trying to attract students. What they don t tell you is that they think it is technology transfer. You are supposed to return to your god forsaken hole of a country and teach the natives how to do things.

ATTN MASTERS STUDENTS If you are a top non EU student and the professor is actively encouraging you to pursue a PhD in Germany, RUN. Use her/his goodwill to get a great recommendation letter for another country. She/He is doing it because, increasingly, the professor’s funding for PhD programs is conditional on the internationalization of the program. Once you complete the PhD the professor will do nothing to help you stay on and instead will actively encourage you to return to your home country so that you can create more networks for him/her and German graduate programs.

I am sick of a broken system where professors and the university administration spends millions sending delegations to seduce students, where DAAD has its own offices and minions to spread the propaganda, where the actual teaching is done by poorly paid PhD candidates or docents (PhD s who can t find academic jobs but are connected to the university on a freelance basis)

I am sick of a rotten system where professors are civil servants who cannot be sacked and one professor may have over 25 PhDs working under him/her while he/she jet sets around the world luring more students and creating tie ups to bring in even more. Do you even think that he or she even reads your chapters?!

Your language skills count for nothing. It only gives you an year off the time required towards citizenship, but that s only if you have a permanent residence. No points for fluent German.

You are given a job search visa but it comes with so many conditions. You have to show 8,000 euros in a blocked account. You have to show a job otherwise. If you can manage to get a job in a call center or Amazon do you think they ll give you leave to go look for a job?! And the Amazon or call center job won t get you permanent residence because you don t need a PhD, or even a masters to do that! So after 1.5 years you are out. Germany should be honest. Tell the world they don t want non EU immigrants even highly educated ones.

In sum, while I don t regret studying abroad I regret studying in a country where nothing but my passport actually counts.

Source: https://www.quora.com/Have-you-or-anyone-you-know-regretted-going-abroad-for-higher-education

Neteller here: www..com.ng

4 Likes

Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by kulobyno: 2:07am On Dec 26, 2016
I will read when I wake up
Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by jerryunit48: 2:15am On Dec 26, 2016
Bro you might be right but you are wrong in many ways, first of all what did you study,what are your qualifications ? I studied IT in Germany with a friend of mine and I have a job and my friend is even a project manager, if you study anything in health care you are almost guaranteed a job, that is one mistake guys are making if you want to remain and work here choose your career wisely

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by Nobody: 3:48am On Dec 26, 2016
OP, I'm sorry you feel this way. I hope you're able to find a job in Germany.

jerryunit48:
Bro you might be right but you are wrong in many ways, first of all what did you study,what are your qualifications ? I studied IT in Germany with a friend of mine and I have a job and my friend is even a project manager, if you study anything in health care you are almost guaranteed a job, that is one mistake guys are making if you want to remain and work here choose your career wisely
Yes, you're right. The course studied will impact the chances of getting a job, and really, the same goes for any country.

1 Like

Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by Nutase: 7:57am On Dec 26, 2016
Nice one
Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by Nobody: 7:59am On Dec 26, 2016
No need to complain, bro.
U're welcomed back in advance.
A lot of packaged fufu served with open hand/mind readily waiting. Home-Afrique!

4 Likes

Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by Nobody: 11:48am On Dec 26, 2016
For this Germany here so? Wow. Quite surprised about ur experience. Abi na inside one small town u go hide

2 Likes

Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by AlexWallace(f): 12:07pm On Dec 26, 2016
Why should I ever regret going abroad for my nursing school

3 Likes

Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by Kingzy4pep(m): 12:41pm On Dec 26, 2016
jerryunit48:
I'm almost discouraged by the dude's post because I'm thinking of applying for my Msc there.
But let me ask you, Can you say anything about environmental jobs because I'm going for Msc Hydrogeology/Environmental geology.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by firstclassmumu: 1:06pm On Dec 26, 2016
I regret going to cotonou for my master's degree

10 Likes

Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Dec 26, 2016
Eye opening. But because the op didn't get a job in germany doesn't mean other's shouldn't try their luck.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by jerryunit48: 2:27pm On Dec 26, 2016
Kingzy4pep:
I'm almost discouraged by the dude's post because I'm thinking of applying for my Msc there.
But let me ask you, Can you say anything about environmental jobs because I'm going for Msc Hydrogeology/Environmental geology.
Am honestly not too sure about that curse but I can find out but actually you can do your masters in English language in many cases

1 Like

Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by Kingzy4pep(m): 3:53pm On Dec 26, 2016
jerryunit48:
Am honestly not too sure about that curse but I can find out but actually you can do your masters in English language in many cases
You mean it's possible to do an MSc in English even when I have a science background?

Please, I'd appreciate it if you can help me find out about my course.
Thank you.
Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by jerryunit48: 4:07pm On Dec 26, 2016
Kingzy4pep:
You mean it's possible to do an MSc in English even when I have a science background?

Please, I'd appreciate it if you can help me find out about my course.
Thank you.
Yes but not in all curses though

1 Like

Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by mighty5050(m): 4:34pm On Dec 26, 2016
jerryunit48:
bro can I get your digits .. need to ask you something

1 Like

Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by momentarylapse: 4:57pm On Dec 26, 2016
Schooling abroad is the best option you Can take as long as you have a plan for your life after you are done either at your home country or whether you choose to remain in your adopted one!

I don't know what the _fuck this o.p studied that makes moving on so difficult for him!

2 Likes

Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by Nobody: 12:07am On Dec 27, 2016
try other places na....Uk, canada, usa,
Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by darknetcom: 2:00am On Dec 27, 2016
Kingzy4pep:

you are black in a none black society..

dont await fair play too much...

the germans dont care about your troubles...

1 Like

Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by ituglobal(m): 4:37am On Dec 27, 2016
Overseas education is expensive, but the kind of courses gone for would justify the means.
Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by iwriterng(m): 4:59am On Dec 27, 2016
From all indications, if you don't have a solid plan for your life, even if you studied in the best of all countries, you might end up being a no-person. But to conclude that studying abroad doesn't worth it based on your own experience isn't a good one.

This is my 6th year in the University (add pre-degree and it becomes 7), I have never failed a course, and I am well above average as far as grades is concerned. Guess what? My school has been on strike for over 6months, and there is nothing I can do about it.

That's a perfect example of a rotten system. You don't label a system rotten because you didn't get citizenship or a job after bagging your degree.

They promised to educate you and that they've done succesfully. The rest is on you. Learn to be grateful for what you have, thousands would kill for it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by soulhighman(m): 5:33am On Dec 27, 2016
jerryunit48:
If not for the reply you gave the OP, he almost made me to start wondering whether what I've been hearing about PhD and getting a job in January is true or outright falsehood. Because, a friend of mine tilst me about the benefits, especially the work part.
And the OP almost changed my perspective.
Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by KingOfThePay(m): 10:20am On Dec 27, 2016
OP don't come here and mislead people.
Where in Germany are you and what course did you study?

2 Likes

Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Dec 27, 2016
It still beats me how none of the commenters above noticed Op wasn't the person who wrote the lamentation up there. He simply copied a thread he read on Quora.com and dropped it here. Heck, he even added the friggin source.

13 Likes

Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by lereinter(m): 4:05pm On Dec 27, 2016
jerryunit48:

what of agriculture related courses

wh
Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by lereinter(m): 4:10pm On Dec 27, 2016
LastMumu:
It still beats me how none of the commenters above noticed that Op wasn't the person that wrote the lamentation up there. He simple copied a thread he read on Quora.com and dropped it here. Heck, he even added the friggin source.

thumbs up

7 Likes

Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by alared93: 5:42pm On Dec 27, 2016
How can one apply for postgraduate study in Germany on a scholarship basis
Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by Misterdhee1(m): 7:43pm On Dec 27, 2016
iwriterng:
From all indications, if you don't have a solid plan for your life, even if you studied in the best of all countries, you might end up being a no-person. But to conclude that studying abroad doesn't worth it based on your own experience isn't a good one.

This is my 6th year in the University (add pre-degree and it becomes 7), I have never failed a course, and I am well above average as far as grades is concerned. Guess what? My school has been on strike for over 6months, and there is nothing I can do about it.

That's a perfect example of a rotten system. You don't label a system rotten because you didn't get citizenship or a job after bagging your degree.

They promised to educate you and that they've done succesfully. The rest is on you. Learn to be grateful for what you have, thousands would kill for it.

Bros, I guess u are a Ladokite? Sent u a pm. Please respond
Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by iwriterng(m): 8:24pm On Dec 27, 2016
Misterdhee1:

Bros, I guess u are a Ladokite? Sent u a pm. Please respond

Yes, I am a ladokite. Am sorry, I don't know how the PM feature works, I got a notification but I didn't get any message.
Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by Misterdhee1(m): 8:43pm On Dec 27, 2016
iwriterng:

Yes, I am a ladokite. Am sorry, I don't know how the PM feature works, I got a notification but I didn't get any message.
Bro, all u need do is check the mail u registered with nd reply with a 'hello' or whatever u deem fit.

1 Like

Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by pxjosh(m): 8:49pm On Dec 27, 2016
iwriterng:

And i was wondering why you didn't reply my pm! Bruv I need to talk with you about amazon etc. Please send me a pm and I'd take it from there. Sorry for derailing
Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by martynsnet: 9:33pm On Dec 27, 2016
Just don't go to the UK

1 Like

Re: Have You Or Anyone You Know Regretted Going Abroad For Higher Education? by Revolva(m): 12:58am On Dec 28, 2016
#Studyabroadfastneasy with this free scholarship program for all student worldwide http://cyprusuni.com/our-role-services/our-online-application-service-packages/?goli=51

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Cheetah Is Not The Fastest Animal: Not What You Think / ~ University Of Benin ~post Ume Screening For 2009/2010 Date Finally Out. / Waec 2015: Free Civic Education Full Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.