Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,290 members, 7,780,667 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:03 PM

"Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants (16903 Views)

Stop Your Campaigns For My Re-election For Now, Buhari Tells Supporters / Plateau: Niger Delta Militants Blow Hot, Reveal What’ll Happen In 21 Days / Go To The Farm And Earn Respect, Buhari Tells Nigerian Youths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by sarrki(m): 6:22am On Dec 26, 2016
President Muhammadu Buhari on Sunday appealed to the militants vandalising oil installations in the Niger Delta to come to the negotiation table in order to end their arms campaign in the oil-rich Niger Delta.

Buhari said this would afford both the government and the militants the opportunity to decide how the nation’s resources could be managed instead of agitators picking up arms against their fatherland.

Regretting that the problems he identified during the campaigns that preceded the 2015 presidential election, which he won, still lingered even with him in the saddle for almost 18 months, the President appealed to Nigerians to be patient with his government.

Buhari spoke when residents of the Federal Capital Territory, led by the Minister, Muhammad Bello, paid him a Christmas visit at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

The President said Nigeria and its citizens were uppermost in his mind, stating that he would continue to do all within his powers to improve their living conditions.

He said, “I want you to talk to people to be patient with the government. We are always thinking about our country and we are thinking about our people.

“I assure you that the country and the people of the country are always uppermost in our minds. With our performance in the North-East, Nigerians know that this government is serious.

“For our friends in the Niger Delta area, we will persuade them that they should please sit down with us and agree to manage our resources rather than think of fighting it out.”

While saying that the problems he identified during campaigns were still the nation’s fundamental problems, Buhari specifically identified power and lack of infrastructure as major challenges.

He regretted that during the oil boom, the nation’s handlers at that time failed to save for a rainy day.

He noted that while proceeds from agriculture were used to develop oil, he lamented that agriculture was discarded immediately oil started yielding resources for the country.

The President promised that his administration would concentrate on infrastructure development, saying jobs would be created through the process.

Buhari added, “It is about 18 months since we resumed here. I believe some of you followed us during our campaigns and what we identified are still fundamental problems.

“The first is security, and we kept on saying whether it is an organisation or a country, we have to first secure it before we can manage it properly. Without security, nothing can work.

“Secondly, the economy and the unemployment of able-bodied persons. From 1999 to 2014, the crude production was over 2.2m barrels per day. The average cost per barrel was $100.

“When we came, it was $37. I think it is now between $40 and $50. I asked for savings, there was no saving. I asked them what they used the money to buy, they said they bought food and oil. I do not know how long it took me to recover from the shock.

“Some of you will recall either by history or discussion that it was cocoa, palm kernel, cotton, agro allied industry that we used to build infrastructure, be it rail or school.

“We also used the proceeds to develop oil. When we got the oil, we threw everything away. We thank God this year, the harvest was quite good; otherwise, I do not know what we would have done.

“There was no money saved, no infrastructure built, and power is still our main problem. Old roads are dilapidated and they need to be repaired from Lagos to Kano, Port Harcourt up to Maiduguri. There are rail lines we want to develop from Lagos to Calabar, from Lagos to Kaduna and the Abuja one.

“If we can get the infrastructure done, we cannot even know the number of Nigerians that will get jobs. So, we have to get infrastructure. It will take tankers and other articulated vehicles off the road; we will save vehicles and we will save lives and we will get jobs for a lot of Nigerians.”

Bello, in his opening remarks, commended Buhari for the success recorded by the nation’s troops that cleared Sambisa Forest of insurgents last week.

“We are very proud of this milestone and we prayed that Boko Haram never rears its head in any part of the country again,” the minister said.

Also, the Chairman of the Christians Association of Nigeria, FCT branch, Rev. Jonah Samson, said they were in the Presidential Villa to identify with Buhari and commend him for his leadership, which he said had impacted positively on Nigerians.

Samson particularly commended the President for his administration’s anti-corruption war.

He expressed the hope that the anti-graft war would not end with this administration.

Samson said, “Corruption is a cankerworm. It is a terrible thing that we must kill. We urge you to ensure that the war continues. It should not end during this administration.

“We thank God for the victory over Boko Haram. It is a thing of joy worthy of celebration.”

The minister and his aides later presented a giant greeting card to Buhari.

Representatives of the Aso Villa Chapel also presented a card and locally-made artworks to the President.

Speaking with State House correspondents at the end of the visit, the Senator representing FCT, Philip Aduda, urged Nigerians to support the present administration.

Aduda expressed the hope that 2017 would be better for the nation.

http://punchng.com/let-us-talk-buhari-tells-ndelta-militants/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by Firefire(m): 6:23am On Dec 26, 2016
Good move... Buhary taking the right steps

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by eezeribe(m): 6:24am On Dec 26, 2016
someone is trying to act nice because of 2019 election.Deep within someone's mind,someone would have preferred to launch a full scale war on...I didn't mention Anybody

If you quote me,whether to support or condemn my comment...
It means you have UNWITTINGLY ACCEPTED MY COMMENT AS THE TRUTH

103 Likes 5 Shares

Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by sarrki(m): 6:24am On Dec 26, 2016
Thank you Mr president

As a father to all listen where you need to dialogue

Use force where it is necessary

God bless Muhammadu Buhari

God bless Federal Republic of Nigeria

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by Godfullsam(m): 6:35am On Dec 26, 2016
This is what mr president should have done long time ago.

9 Likes

Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by sarrki(m): 6:39am On Dec 26, 2016
Godfullsam:
This is what mr president should have done long time ago.

Not too late brother

There is two way to resolve conflict

Coercion and persuasion

It's time to be persuasive

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by madridguy(m): 6:46am On Dec 26, 2016
Ok
Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by AroOkigbo(m): 6:47am On Dec 26, 2016
After all the pythons danced
and
Crocodiles smiled?

Confused government!

100 Likes 5 Shares

Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by sarrki(m): 6:49am On Dec 26, 2016
AroOkigbo:
After all the python danced
and
Crocodiles smiled?

confused government!

Do you think Nigeria Armed forces can't handle them?

Wake up 2017 is fast approaching

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by ALMUSTAQIM(m): 6:50am On Dec 26, 2016
Firefire:
Good move... Buhary taking the right steps

GOD BLESS OUR PMB 1523

GOD BLESS NIGERIA

7 Likes

Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by mccoy47(m): 6:51am On Dec 26, 2016
The "crocodile smile" refused to smile? cheesy

67 Likes 5 Shares

Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by OZAOEKPE(f): 6:51am On Dec 26, 2016
na now the animal wan dialogue

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by Nobody: 6:54am On Dec 26, 2016
Sometimes, I cannot but look at buhari like this

66 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by AroOkigbo(m): 6:54am On Dec 26, 2016
sarrki:

Do you think Nigeria Armed forces can't handle them?

Wake up 2017 is fast approaching

So what are they waiting for?
You are obviously ignorant of the complexity of pipelines that scatters all over the niger delta region.

How many of the corrupt military men will man it?
No equipment.
No manpower.
No technology.

Plus corrupt system. ..yes, military men pay to be drafted to the region. They are there to make up for their purses too!

80 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by proeast(m): 6:56am On Dec 26, 2016
Re.tard.ed and certificateless oldman, so after destroying this country with his thoughtless and provocative actions, he is now asking for truce Such a clueless and daft appology of a president!

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by sarrki(m): 6:57am On Dec 26, 2016
OZAOEKPE:
na now the animal wan dialogue

Bros

You seriously need a rectifier

To convert your system from Direct Current (DC) to

Alternate Current (AC).

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by psucc(m): 7:03am On Dec 26, 2016
Buhari can never be trusted.

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by sarrki(m): 7:06am On Dec 26, 2016
psucc:
Buhari can never be trusted.

Then I suggest we trust you then

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by IsaacBuchi(m): 7:11am On Dec 26, 2016
Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by Kondomatic(m): 7:28am On Dec 26, 2016
sarrki:

Not too late brother

There is two way to resolve conflict

Coercion and persuasion

It's time to be persuasive
Baba go slow is always late.

Things would have gotten a bit different if he had done this at the right time but no, he waited until Nigeria celebrated the driest Christmas since 1985

39 Likes

Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by veekid(m): 7:51am On Dec 26, 2016

Buhari's brain has just been reversed

4 Likes

Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by Addicted2Women: 7:52am On Dec 26, 2016

No

We don't talk to a 90 year old dumb farmer who ruined a great country in just 15 months

You can go talk to your cows and zombies, you will have a great conversation with them

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by sbashir10(m): 7:52am On Dec 26, 2016
they cannot answer you now PMB, until they consult their godfathers bia**fraud peoples

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by rabex123(m): 7:52am On Dec 26, 2016
Baba ! Exhaust all possible options please.
So that they won't have any excuse when we begin pur own..
Rep nigerian army.

1 Like

Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by Agimor(m): 7:52am On Dec 26, 2016
With 95% you've scored AA there's no need for 5%.

13 Likes

Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by prince985(m): 7:53am On Dec 26, 2016
I thought u were saying dat military option is still available
y dont u send ur battalion to "crush" d "criminals"
foolish idiot

16 Likes

Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by chimah3(m): 7:53am On Dec 26, 2016
No o! Keep forming hard man

21 Likes

Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by Nobody: 7:53am On Dec 26, 2016
As if we care

1 Like

Re: "Let Us Talk" - President Muhammadu Buhari Tells Niger Delta Militants by gurunlocker: 7:53am On Dec 26, 2016
Lol.. he no wan do strong head again?

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Three Arrested Over Mass Purchase Of PVCs In Niger State / Give Reasonable Suggestions On How Nigeria Can Be Great Again / Kalu: I Left $4 Billion Balance Sheet In My Companies Before Joining Politics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.