Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,511 members, 7,801,355 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:12 PM

Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! (68603 Views)

Python Killed In Hostel At The Federal University Otuoke, Bayelsa / Ayoola Oluwakemi Is Best African Female Postgraduate Student In China (Photo) / UNILAG Lecturer Stabs Postgraduate Student (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by judey1992(m): 8:51am On Jan 08, 2017
Jakeattah:
Currently running MSc Biochemistry at the University of Maiduguri.. And I have to say the new postgraduate structure of the school has made the program run faster. the only issue is from some of the sadist department lecturers and supervisors.
Been reading about people complaining of Economics lecturers, mehn you need to meet biochemistry lecturers to understand what's up... Sometimes we virtually have to plead with some lecturers (upon the money we paid o) to attend classes... Its painful
bros goodmorning, am a fresh graduate of the same discipline, whats the cost like?
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by judey1992(m): 8:54am On Jan 08, 2017
going by what i hv heard from senior colleagues doing their postgraduate programs in UMUDIKE. it seems MICHAEL OKPARA UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE, UMUDIKE is a place for post graduate program.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by onyichick(f): 8:56am On Jan 08, 2017
I did my m.sc at benue state university, I started I 2011 n rounded up in 2014 n I was the first to finish among my course mate.I HV to say it was the most trying n depressing time of my life.I thought of abandoning it because that's what most people do here cause of the stress.the whole experience killed my interest in furthering,it just made me hate education.
for every defence of which mine was three( proposal, internal n external) you'll provide breakfast for the lecturers which is meatpie,sugar,honey, Lipton,biscuit, peak milk,coffee, hot water.for lunch it's rice, chicken n salad,you'll HV to also buy sweets,bitter kola n kolanut bottled water,juice.then a bottle of wine for each of them to tk home.

14 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Vanpascore(m): 9:00am On Jan 08, 2017
Ha! This is now a serious matter. Initially i used to think that this delay of a thing is only in OAU but it is now clear that almost all fed universities in Nigeria are the same. Here in OAU, the program duration depends on the student, the department, the supervisor if the 'school wahala' is out. The pg school is now trying all their best to make 2yrs prog 2yrs. A friend of mine used exactly 4 semesters in Chem dept, while some used 6 in the same department. The lecturers are fairly ok as they teach with interractions, they don't demand for money, some even will give to their students especially in the areas of research analysis.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by keemi(m): 9:01am On Jan 08, 2017
I took my time to read all posts before commenting. Doing my M.Sc(Finance) in ABU and must say it's been a wonderful experience so far. Departments like business and public are restructuring,so people are finishing within 2yrs. Nothing like sorting and the lecturers are there to help though there will always b lazy ones around due to their religion wahala. D major issue with Nigerian schools should b ur supervisor. That's where people get frustrated. I did my Bsc in the south and must say,its worthwhile and far better in ABU.
On my thesis at the moment so can't really say much as I prefer to gv my story and not that of others. Major problem wit ABU esp my dept are the courses offered. But on d average, I think ABU is doing just fine

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by abdulkayus(m): 9:03am On Jan 08, 2017
keside:
I am about to start my MPH at Bayero university Kano, any info abt the PG studies at BUK?

I am an engineering Masters students in Bayero University, Kano. Going to my third year now, although it is still roughly two years cos I started by Mid 2015 bt my reg no read 2014. Course work is one year or even less like in our own case. In my electrical engineering department, most of the lecturers are good and ready to help except like or two sadists who like making noise and unruly behaviour. Bt 90 percent of the lecturers are there for u especially if you are the serious type. I don't knw abt other departments and faculty bt in department of electrical engineering, they hav now bring a policy in which u are mandated to see ur supervisor atleast once or twice in a month. There is a log book inwhich every meeting will be recorded and sign by both d supervisor and d supervisee. This is done so as to knw who has fault in d delay of pg students nt graduating on time cos most pg students do blame their supervisors of nt having their time and d supervisors also blame d students of nt being serious also.
We don't have d problem of extortions by d lecturers or sex for grade. Actually most university in d north abhore that and it is a serious crime over here. Throughout my undergraduate study and now post graduate study, I haven't heard of any student being sexually harass by d lecturer.
Now, the only downside of d pg is that it is a little bit expensive eap for d science based students. In my first year, we payed 95k for school fees and 10k for acceptance fee making it 105 in total. We are suppose to pay 92k in d second year bt they den increase d fee to 130k for fresh pg students and 127 for returning, and it only affected d science based pg students. I am to pay for another 127k by next month now for d third and final year. BUK masters in electrical engineering department tried to make sure that u finished ur Masters maximum 6 semesters and I think that is also obtainable in other Departments and faculties too.
For external supervising or VIVA (wat dey call it sometime), we pay 40k.
I don't knw much MPH that u are going for bt u can go to d department and ask around.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by greenermodels: 9:08am On Jan 08, 2017
Jotter:

The only way to change this is to change the culture and mind set if the lecturers first, if this can be done, then put infrastructures in place and BOOM! You begin to see results, but we seem to be putting the cart before the horse, it does not work that way.
changing their mind set would be next to impossible, what you can get are relatively serious lecturers teaching archaic and irrelevant stuffs, but i believe everything is possible.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by SmellingAnus(m): 9:14am On Jan 08, 2017
kelvin21887:
To be sincere, University of Portharcourt is worse than in terms of how very expensive offering a postgraduate program is there, you will pay 163,000 naira for first session, second session 110,000 naira for second session, then if u are lucky enough to graduate within this stipulated two years, of which most people spend more time than that, you now go ahead and pay a defense fee of 51,000 naira, plus many other dues such as plagiarism test fee, internal defense fee, and so on, not to mention of the recent increment in clearing yourself to collect your result to about 50k plus....its not as if they offer d best services
very true bro... You must even be fortunate if you are able to round up your programme in 3 years...
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by abdulkayus(m): 9:15am On Jan 08, 2017
I need to also add that in Electrical engineering department, there is something called progress report which is done almost every two month. As a pg student, u are expected to present ur progress of how far u have gone in ur dissertation and if there is need for corrections, they will tell you. We present on projector facing a panel of Doctors and Professors. And this realy help in making pg students and d supervisors to be more serious cos if u are not reporting on time to ur supervisor, he may report u to d HOD inwhich u can be penalise if u don't adjust. Mostly do finish within 3 years and some within two years bt u must pay for 3 years fee. I know of a Yoruba guy u finished within 4 semesters, lucky guy, he was d first to finish among his peers bt he payed for d 3rd year. LOL.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by greenermodels: 9:16am On Jan 08, 2017
abdulkayus:

I am an engineering Masters students in Bayero University, Kano. Going to my third year now, although it is still roughly two years cos I started by Mid 2015 bt my reg no read 2014. Course work is one year or even less like in our own case. In my electrical engineering department, most of the lecturers are good and ready to help except like or two sadists who like making noise and unruly behaviour. Bt 90 percent of the lecturers are there for u especially if you are the serious type. I don't knw abt other departments and faculty bt in department of electrical engineering, they hav now bring a policy in which u are mandated to see ur supervisor atleast once or twice in a month. There is a log book inwhich every meeting will be recorded and sign by both d supervisor and d supervisee. This is done so as to knw who has fault in d delay of pg students nt graduating on time cos most pg students do blame their supervisors of nt having their time and d supervisors also blame d students of nt being serious also.
We don't have d problem of extortions by d lecturers or sex for grade. Actually most university in d north abhore that and it is a serious crime over here. Throughout my undergraduate study and now post graduate study, I haven't heard of any student being sexually harass by d lecturer.
Now, the only downside of d pg is that it is a little bit expensive eap for d science based students. In my first year, we payed 95k for school fees and 10k for acceptance fee making it 105 in total. We are suppose to pay 92k in d second year bt they den increase d fee to 130k for fresh pg students and 127 for returning, and it only affected d science based pg students. I am to pay for another 127k by next month now for d third and final year. BUK masters in electrical engineering department tried to make sure that u finished ur Masters maximum 6 semesters and I think that is also obtainable in other Departments and faculties too.
For external supervising or VIVA (wat dey call it sometime), we pay 40k.
I don't knw much MPH that u are going for bt u can go to d department and ask around.
i believe all you have said but i have taught in a northern state polytechnic and i can tell you that consensual sexual relationships are widespread but truly i have never heard pf it been by force so please don't make it sound like a south only thing.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by perfectgen(m): 9:18am On Jan 08, 2017
fergie001:

I can get d info once am in school.

Fergie, thank you so much. I will be expecting the response.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by SmellingAnus(m): 9:21am On Jan 08, 2017
dangotesmummy:
cheesy

Maybe the man offended her.that lie is too malicious. Sleeping with a pregnant woman that is not your wife? Ewwww
been close to lecturers even as an undergraduate, I can tell you some lecturers are into married women including the pregnant ones so it's highly possible that she is speaking the truth... I guess the lecturers in the university you attended were saints cheesy which university is that again? cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by frankputer: 9:22am On Jan 08, 2017
Unilorin mathematics department MSc 12 month(with statement of result ready)
I finish my @ Computer science department 18Month.
No strike.

I'm sure the duration is relatively ok compare to other federal Uni. In Nigeria.
My supervisor was the brain behind us finishing on time.
He kept pushing for seminar and defense.he was ready to absorb us back for PhD.

But u as a student must work hard , pass your courses and push for your external defense .

Processes to under go@ computer science

the students have to undergo proposal, seminar, departmental, faculty and external defences.
They are really trying though.
Research output is good.

'Better by far'.

7 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Exciton(m): 9:44am On Jan 08, 2017
I don't understand why anyone would want to do PG in Naija (especially in science). Naija education is one of the greatest frauds ever unleashed upon her citizens. The so-called professor know nothing apart from what they were taught decades ago!

Both private and public universities neither have good professors nor the necessary equipment to carry out research. People who go to private schools only pay for finishing early and lower teacher-student ratio. Even the best of these private universities have no SEM, TEM, XRD, optics lab, clean room etc.

I can confidently say that most Naija research papers are a complete lie - they create fictitious data. If it's experimental based, how do these people characterize their materials when they've got no equipment? If they wanna send their samples outside for measurement, most don't have the means to keep their samples stable, non-contaminated or non-oxidized. If it's theoretical computations, we certainly don't have big and strong computers for that in Naija. We don't even have the electricity to keep these equipment running 24/7 in the first place.

I've heard people buy distilled/DI water in kegs (WTF!!!). The best we had in my department in those days was a simple UV-Vis spectrophotometer that you can make yourself.

I only have this advise: look for a PhD degree outside Naija. Preferably US, Canada or Europe and make sure you fully understand the theory no matter how long it takes. But most importantly, learn everything you need to build those devices!

I have lost 4 years or more of my life just because I was born Nigerian. But we shall continue in our pursuit of fulfilling our dreams nonetheless!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by heybeemoney(m): 9:47am On Jan 08, 2017
[quote author=keemi post=52629754]I took my time to read all posts before commenting. Doing my M.Sc(Finance) in ABU and must say it's been a wonderful experience so far. Departments like business and public are restructuring,so people are finishing within 2yrs. Nothing like sorting and the lecturers are there to help though there will always b lazy ones around due to their religion wahala. D major issue with Nigerian schools should b ur supervisor. That's where people get frustrated. I did my Bsc in the south and must say,its worthwhile and far better in ABU.
On my thesis at the moment so can't really say much as I prefer to gv my story and not that of others. Major problem wit ABU esp my dept are the courses offered. But on d average, I think ABU is doing just fine.

u said it all....we re together in dat dpt bro.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by HazzanTazzan(m): 9:48am On Jan 08, 2017
Sadly but fortunately for me, I've already abandoned my Msc biochemistry in Funaab after one and a half semester...

We are to begin second semester exam tomorrow but since I stopped attending lectures abt 2 months ago, no point in going for the exams...

It's useless and pointless wasting my hard earned (approximately 2 million naira ) on a certificate that's not worth it...

The Bsc I have has been useless so far as it has never fetched me any shishi...

Why will I now continue with a masters program that doesn't give me time to hustle for money and still takes so much money from me with nothing to show for it in future...

I think soutH Africa will be better

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Pedagogue: 9:53am On Jan 08, 2017
Let me make it as short as possible:

UI- They have the best PG school in Nigeria. But their unnecessary bureaucracy defeats the goal. Supervisors are tin-gods. Research expectation is extremely poor.

OAU-Great lecturer-student ratio. The main problem is DELAY. It's a big problem.

Unilorin- Fast and composite calendar. Most Supervisors are tribalistic and religious bigots. Poor research outputs.

Unilag- Opportunity to work and study because of the location. But most supervisors are corrupt . All they want is money, money and money! The experience may add no value to you.

Covenant, Bowen and Babcock: Extremely fast. Go there if all you want is a PG certificate/PhD conferment. No rigorous research. Very poor research pedigree. Makes you feel like you bought your certificate because of the lack of academic challenge and stimulation.

Conclusion: Nigerian Universities are OK for undergraduate programmes. But very poor for PG/ PhD programmes. They lack the basic tools for research. Travel abroad if you are interested in QUALITY. By 'abroad' , I don't mean 'Ghana' and NOT ALL the universities in SA!

PG education, especially a PhD programme is not about the certificate. It is much more.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by scobaba: 9:54am On Jan 08, 2017
cosade:

I assume your first degree is in Business Administration/Management. MBA is not designed for graduates of Business Administration/Management but for graduates from other fields such as Engineering etc. You should have done an M.Sc programme instead.

I just needed an additional academic qualification. I am a Chartered Accountant. MSc would have required i run full programme. I was a banker then so it could not have been possible. Tnx tho.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by fergie001: 10:12am On Jan 08, 2017
perfectgen:

Fergie, thank you so much. I will be expecting the response.
No wahala
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by MrHighSea: 10:19am On Jan 08, 2017
dangotesmummy:
some professors are actually high handed arrogant and think they know everything while those around them are foolish. They have a way of teaching in a condescending way.They don't teach for students to understand learn and apply. It's an ego thing for them and an opportunity to show off Their ancient knowledge whilst bringing others down. Their supervisees are their major victims .if they don't know instead of enlightening them they bring them down and always want them to be subservient to them

E.g carrying their bags cleaning their office and other b.s.

A family friend told me of his supervisor when he was doing his masters in xyz university to buy him amala and goat meat before he reads his chapter 2.he even gave him cooler and money. He put the cooler inside nylon and was telling a grown 40something year old man to buy amala for him

I bust into laughter when he was jisting me so I asked him what then did you do.he said he walked out OF his office and abandoned the masters to resume back to work from his study leave
That scenerio u described happens between my Prof and the HOD of the department.
He ordered us one day to go call the HOD, that without projector he can't teach. The HOD's secretary said HOD no dey. Oboy Prof halla, se He told him to come to work.
Make una pray for me.o The said Prof is my supervisor. I'm to submit my topic latest next month. I dy read RIGHT NOW sef.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by MrHighSea: 10:24am On Jan 08, 2017
GoldenJAT:
mornin Bro....i planned on running a postgraduate diploma in uniport as my cgpa isnt up2d required grade 4 a straight msc programme.do u av any idea abt their mode of admission,how much they pay 4d duration of d program...and any other info u can gladly pass across.GOODMORNIN once again.
Average Fee is 150k but will ur dept let u go within 1yr?
If na eng'g, bros take cover.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by elhafeez(m): 10:25am On Jan 08, 2017
A.B.U Zaria is OK. it depends on how serious and who your supervisor is. I started my MSc in 2012 and completed it in 2014. I started my PhD in 2015 but I haven't done anything much. During my first the chairman of my supervisory committee (3 members ) was on sabbatical I couldn't do much. In my second year they were calling me but I went to make money. The school fees is about 140K per session. I was thinking if abandoning the programme but I have wasted time and money already. And trying to please 3 different people on a research is difficult.
I was in south Africa to present a paper in a conference at Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University at port Elizabeth in Nov-Dec last year. I was impressed with their facilities and academic staff. You have only one supervisor and access to him always. You can complete your PhD in 2 to 3 years. The only problem is the fund. I don't have money for the cost of living and accommodation.
SA it's cheaper than Europe and UK and even better than some schools there. I will advise anyone who want to do his PhD to travel out.
Most post graduate candidates after completing their course work just leave and don't come back or come to see supervisors once in a while.
In A.B.U student in different department have different experience. But if you are serious you will graduate in good time.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Nobody: 10:31am On Jan 08, 2017
If madness carry u come UNIZIK precisely MPH, then prepare ur mind for 8- 10yrs if u r a serious student. If u r d unserious type just knw dat u'll drop out. they manage to graduate 2(at most 3) students every 5 or 6yrs.
Be wise!!!!
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by ssuccess(m): 10:51am On Jan 08, 2017
kempreze:
If madness carry u come UNIZIK precisely MPH, then prepare ur mind for 8- 10yrs if u r a serious student. If u r d unserious type just knw dat u'll drop out. they manage to graduate 2(at most 3) students every 5 or 6yrs.
Be wise!!!!

lol.... this is really funny o.

but please who has any idea on how much it costs for Performing Arts graduates.

Also, please does it mean that a candidate 2.2 cannot apply for masters without undergoing the Diploma program?
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Nobody: 11:06am On Jan 08, 2017
This. Is a sad thread! !!!!!!

5 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Nobody: 11:08am On Jan 08, 2017
dangotesmummy:
but how about private Christian universities in Nigeria like covenant , lead city ,Babcock or mountain top university .do you know about them

No I don't

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Donemmy(m): 11:14am On Jan 08, 2017
Pls I need intel about Ekiti State University PG sch. Thinking of going there for PhD criminology.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by kelvin21887(m): 11:18am On Jan 08, 2017
dangotesmummy:
really? 51k for defense fee? undecided

So what is the school fees FOR when you will pay for plagiarism test fee? When there are software's that you can sit in your room and download on your laptop that is what they're extorting money for? Nigerians! !!!!!!

And we want corruption to end?smh
thats the situation we found ourselves oh, Uniport own is just too much.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by fratermathy(m): 11:31am On Jan 08, 2017
ssuccess:

lol.... this is really funny o.

but please who has any idea on how much it costs for Performing Arts graduates.

Also, please does it mean that a candidate 2.2 cannot apply for masters without undergoing the Diploma program?

2.2 can do Masters if your cgpa is atleast 3.00. Some schools accept 2.75. If lower than that, you'd have to do a PGD first.

I've read all here and I can say that these things are unique with most Nigerian varsities, whether federal or state owned.

Uniuyo has a fairly strong research output and I would encourage it for a PG programme. The fees are moderate (less than 100k) and the duration really depends on the student. If a student wants to graduate in 18 months, s/he actually can. The major problem in this school is the lack of edifices and infrastructure.

Unical has bureaucratic problems that end up delaying students unnecessarily. However, the research output is fairly standard.

DELSU, Abraka, has good standards and the research output is strong. However, the students have to undergo proposal, seminar, departmental, faculty and external defences. These take time and have many bureaucracies surrounding them.

AAU, Ekpoma, is no different from DELSU. However, they lack infrastructure and edifices.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Habakus: 11:33am On Jan 08, 2017
OP,most public institutions offering PG courses in Nigeria have these common issues you highlighted. Though in some it is more pronounced than in others.
Some schools however,are good in some departments while lacking in others.
What I advice anyone who wants to do any PG course in Nigeria ( especially in Public institutions) is to do their do diligence by finding out about the department they intend to go into; how fast they are and how serious they are. Another thing is this: PG programs are mainly for guidance and research purposes. I.e,the lecturers will guide or direct you in an area,then you do the main part of the work. You do the researches yourself. So I believe the main thing is for the school to provide the enabling environment and the rest is yours.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Flakosixfive(m): 11:38am On Jan 08, 2017
onyichick:
I did my m.sc at benue state university, I started I 2011 n rounded up in 2014 n I was the first to finish among my course mate.I HV to say it was the most trying n depressing time of my life.I thought of abandoning it because that's what most people do here cause of the stress.the whole experience killed my interest in furthering,it just made me hate education.
for every defence of which mine was three( proposal, internal n external) you'll provide breakfast for the lecturers which is meatpie,sugar,honey, Lipton,biscuit, peak milk,coffee, hot water.for lunch it's rice, chicken n salad,you'll HV to also buy sweets,bitter kola n kolanut bottled water,juice.then a bottle of wine for each of them to tk home.
Then what was the point of the whole defence. They could just gave requested for the monetary equivalent of the items you bought and waived the ceremonial defence for you na abi?

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by dangotesmummy: 11:55am On Jan 08, 2017
kelvin21887:
thats the situation we found ourselves oh, Uniport own is just too much.
too bad and very unfortunate

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Is It Okay For Female teacher To Dress Like This Go Class / Olumuyiwa Oludayo: Sex Scandal Covenant University Lecturer Chat Leak By Student / Melissa Giebel & Anejodo Paul: Boy I Picked From 18 Years Ago Now Medical Doctor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.