Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,989 members, 7,806,878 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:59 AM

Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! (68680 Views)

Python Killed In Hostel At The Federal University Otuoke, Bayelsa / Ayoola Oluwakemi Is Best African Female Postgraduate Student In China (Photo) / UNILAG Lecturer Stabs Postgraduate Student (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Kandaha: 6:57pm On Jan 08, 2017
Does anyone have info for LLM ( Partime ) in Unilag or Uniben or any other Federal or State School. I'd like to know the fees payable, the duration and the Lecturer's...
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by efficiencie(m): 6:58pm On Jan 08, 2017
fratermathy:

Like seriously?

Yes! I have sent a message to the mods to take down the thread.

My apologies to all well meaning nairalanders who have expressed their views. This is as a result of carelessness on my part with regards to my internet security.

My apologies to nairalanders once again...
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by ozolity(m): 7:11pm On Jan 08, 2017
efficiencie:

Yes! I have sent a message to the mods to take down the thread.

My apologies to all well meaning nairalanders who have expressed their views. This is as a result of carelessness on my part with regards to my internet security.

My apologies to nairalanders once again...
hmmm has anybody threatened u?

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by efficiencie(m): 7:15pm On Jan 08, 2017
ozolity:
hmmm has anybody threatened u?

Threatened? No. I just was notified by a friend and coursemate that such a post was online and i wondered. While I have been on nairaland, I never new such a post was on nairaland and among my list of followed topics (since it was created using my moniker) and comments were being made in response to it...I would really want the mods to take it down ASAP!
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by HazzanTazzan(m): 7:34pm On Jan 08, 2017
360command:

bro, entrepreneur is the way.. spending almost 2m for masters program and nothing.

No one thought me to drop out when I started making millions from online freelancing and fx
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Floyd45(m): 7:48pm On Jan 08, 2017
I'm really glad that someone decided to open a thread like this. I recently just finished my post graduate studies from 'the University of first Choice' (Go figure) for which i was admitted into in May, 2014. The duration is clearly stated in their brochure to run for 18 months (part-time).
Mind you the set before mine had to throw away a whole year due to administrative lapses from the department.
My biggest challenge was from my supervisor who was a pain in the neck. I only got to see him 3 times before i completed my thesis. I can go on for days but i judging from the comments on this thread, it is safe to say that post graduate studies in Nigerian Universities is in shambles...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Floyd45(m): 7:51pm On Jan 08, 2017
Reminds me of a joke i saw on the internet.
Foreign lecturers: We are here to help you, feel free to come to me anytime.

Nigerian Lecturers: 'A' is for God and 'B' is for me..the rest of the grade i'll give out at my own discretion..

something like that i guess..lol
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by joeyreports: 8:27pm On Jan 08, 2017
ssuccess:

lol.... this is really funny o.

but please who has any idea on how much it costs for Performing Arts graduates.

Also, please does it mean that a candidate 2.2 cannot apply for masters without undergoing the Diploma program?

You can, I just got admission at UNN and I had 2.2 in my first degree, your CGPA will have to be above 2.5, and again will need to also pass your entrance exam.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Salym(m): 8:32pm On Jan 08, 2017
I spent four years doing my MSc. out of which 6 months were lost to strike, another 6 months waiting for a supervisor to be assigned/ waiting for seminar to be fixed and another 8 months waiting for external defence. But thank God, my external is coming up next monday after all d delay and postponements. I hope it doesnt get postponed again.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Mille: 8:33pm On Jan 08, 2017
Matinoh:

sir I have looked up Erasmus program but am still kinda confused.. is it meant for first class graduates alone? wat are the prerequisite for applying.. thanks

Each program has different requirements. And it's not meant for first class alone. Go through my other post for the information
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by timoshenko(m): 8:54pm On Jan 08, 2017
MrHighSea:
Pls u beta go to the biblical hell than study civil engineering M.SC in UNIPORT under the most popular professor. The prof that can tell ur external examiner to shut up n sit down.
Its like all M.SC in d school na 3 years n sch fees dy like obasanjo bank acct bal.

That's Prof. E.......... cheesy

I'm also in the system, same department. It's annoying. It's surprising to see some 2010/2011 yet to defend.

Even his fellow lecturers can't face him.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by dangotesmummy: 9:00pm On Jan 08, 2017
efficiencie:

Threatened? No. I just was notified by a friend and coursemate that such a post was online and i wondered. While I have been on nairaland, I never new such a post was on nairaland and among my list of followed topics (since it was created using my moniker) and comments were being made in response to it...I would really want the mods to take it down ASAP!
take what down? It cannot be taken down. Anything That has entered nl has entered especially when it has had several posts pages and views. undecided

I'm suspecting someone has threatened you and you're already scared. Nothing can shele joor. cool

Lalasticlala abeg my dear move this thread to the front page.olowo orimi ale nobody tongue

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by timoshenko(m): 9:07pm On Jan 08, 2017
mrphysics:

Chai bros, i am planning to go there for an M.Sc program. What is this nah, everyone blaming buhari forgetting that this lecturers are devils. i was running away from UNN though i had they have restructured the M.Sc program, even at that UI is still better than UNN in terms of PG studies
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by MrHighSea: 9:09pm On Jan 08, 2017
timoshenko:

That's Prof. E.......... cheesy

I'm also in the system, same department. It's annoying. It's surprising to see some 2010/2011 yet to defend.

Even his fellow lecturers can't face him.
Gbam. We no mention person name.o
lol.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by mrphysics(m): 9:10pm On Jan 08, 2017
timoshenko:

What about the defence fees, 10 to 20k or more depending on department. You'll have to pay during departmental defence, then faculty defence and lastly external defence. One wonders what they use the 163k school fees for. You'll pay 110k from the second year. You are lucky if you pay it once. All for a MSc degree.
All these in University of Ibadan? please tell me it is not true. i haff die
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by timoshenko(m): 9:11pm On Jan 08, 2017
dangotesmummy:
really? 51k for defense fee? undecided

So what is the school fees FOR when you will pay for plagiarism test fee? When there are software's that you can sit in your room and download on your laptop that is what they're extorting money for? Nigerians! !!!!!!

And we want corruption to end?smh

What about the defense fees, 10 to 20k or more depending on department. You'll have to pay during departmental defense, then faculty defense and lastly external defense. One wonders what they use the 163k school fees for. You'll pay 110k from the second year. You are lucky if you pay it once. All for a MSc degree.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Glorygrace(f): 9:13pm On Jan 08, 2017
Post graduate studies in many Federal Universities are often prolonged by lack of support from Supervisors.This has to change to save the youth from wasting time pursuing one degree or another.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Samcent: 9:14pm On Jan 08, 2017
I hope d op is not in some kind of trouble already.
Learnt a lot frm ds thread.
I hope to do a PG programme in ds country ONLY on d condition that I will not be d one to foot d bill.
I can't imagine myself spending thousands of naira for a paper qualification that will not value to my worth. I just pray dat God will rescue education in ds country.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Elthugnificent(m): 9:15pm On Jan 08, 2017
Such an interesting thread, too bad someone has obviously threaten the op; he is only trying to do damage control at this moment.

Nawa sha, you allow your lecturers to frustrate for nairaland join.

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by timoshenko(m): 9:16pm On Jan 08, 2017
mrphysics:

All these in University of Ibadan? please tell me it is not true. i haff die

It's University of Port Harcourt. UI is far cheaper.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by dangotesmummy: 9:23pm On Jan 08, 2017
timoshenko:

What about the defense fees, 10 to 20k or more depending on department. You'll have to pay during departmental defense, then faculty defense and lastly external defense. One wonders what they use the 163k school fees for. You'll pay 110k from the second year. You are lucky if you pay it once. All for a MSc degree.
smh.Nigerians always taking advantage of each other at the slightest opportunity.

I remember those days when I was doing my external defenseman.the Secretary said i will bring pounded yam egusi soup goat meat and bokoto then one carton of five alive. I will distribute the pounded yam and egusi with the assorted and one pack of five alive for each pg staff that day even to the cleaners and clerk including the external supervisor.on top of the 25k I still paid for them to read my grammar for grammatical errors in English department o

I was almost tempted to say shey eni kitchen Nile yin ni? undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by mrphysics(m): 9:24pm On Jan 08, 2017
timoshenko:

It's University of Port Harcourt. UI is far cheaper.
Ah, Alhamdullilah, Uniport haven't even come to my mind. UI application this year is sure.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by timoshenko(m): 10:12pm On Jan 08, 2017
dangotesmummy:
smh.Nigerians always taking advantage of each other at the slightest opportunity.

I remember those days when I was doing my external defenseman.the Secretary said i will bring pounded yam egusi soup goat meat and bokoto then one carton of five alive. I will distribute the pounded yam and egusi with the assorted and one pack of five alive for each pg staff that day even to the cleaners and clerk including the external supervisor.on top of the 25k I still paid for them to read my grammar for grammatical errors in English department o

I was almost tempted to say shey eni kitchen Nile yin ni? undecided

Pounded yam, egusi, bokoto, goat meat shocked, are they native doctors grin

5 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by schrondinger: 10:30pm On Jan 08, 2017
McSterling:
Darn! How was it? I've been thinking of doing my MSc in FUTA. What do you advise I do?
futa get some saddist lecturer but there are some goods one but investigate about lecturers in ur aplied field, how they fair with students for u to know the tasks ahead
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by akomst: 11:42pm On Jan 08, 2017
efficiencie:
I have not heard from postgraduate students from Ahmadu Bello University. I would like to know what's going on in that university...It may be relatively better than the crappy schools with big name i have attended!

Postgraduate studies at ABU isn't any much different from other universities in Nigeria i.e. the fees are high (80-120k per session), the lecturers are god-like, poor or unavailability of research facilities, delays in completion of study, some department barely have classes for PG students and PG School rules are non-binding on the lecturers, they don't give a care of what the rule says.

But there are a few thing I do appreciate about the university as well ; unlike complaints from other universities, ABU has an expansive accommodation for her PG students, it has a reliable WiFi for all its students (UG/PG), general security is good and the campus is always neat and condusive, and electricity and water supply is near constant. And I've not heard of cases of lecturers asking for sex of money, maybe it does happen but definitely rare !

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Ugosample(m): 11:44pm On Jan 08, 2017
efficiencie:
Nairalanders, please and please, I would like to state that the openning comment that started this thread is not a representation of my views. I got a wind that this was on my followed topics and realized that someone must have had accces to my detail and posted all that in the openning comment. please and please I would like to state that:

That openning post is not a representation of my views. I have been careless with my security of my passwords and someone malicious and used that avenue to post all that about the University of Benin. Please and please moderator take down this thread. Thank you.

I don't understand...
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Adex097: 12:45am On Jan 09, 2017
Elthugnificent:
Such an interesting thread, too bad someone has obviously threaten the op; he is only trying to do damage control at this moment.

Nawa sha, you allow your lecturers to frustrate for nairaland join.
The internet is a global village my dear. We all should learn how to thread carefully especially in this part of the world where those who speak the undiluted truth are being prosecuted. I knew this was gonna happen after reading his very post. Jah help you OP.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by fratermathy(m): 1:20am On Jan 09, 2017
Salym:
I spent four years doing my MSc. out of which 6 months were lost to strike, another 6 months waiting for a supervisor to be assigned/ waiting for seminar to be fixed and another 8 months waiting for external defence. But thank God, my external is coming up next monday after all d delay and postponements. I hope it doesnt get postponed again.

Which school is that man?
Never knew anyone could be this terrible.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by IstandWitBuhari: 5:38am On Jan 09, 2017
Yorubaangel:

what do you know about Mech Eng. @UNN please wish to apply this year...
I have friends there and to be sincere they are not as fast as Civil Engineering.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Christine01(f): 5:49am On Jan 09, 2017
dangotesmummy:
smh.I know of someone who spent 9 years on a PhD program. He married in between the PhD program and had kids.still the PhD no finish. Na them know wetin them dey read for 9years undecided

In your previous post, you said M.Sc and not PhD. I was kinda worried that someone would spend 8 years on an M.Sc program like you claimed.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Elthugnificent(m): 6:53am On Jan 09, 2017
Adex097:

The internet is a small village my dear. We all should learn how to thread carefully especially in this part of the world where those who speak the undiluted truth are being prosecuted. I knew this was gonna happen after reading his very post. Jah help you OP.
Yes, the internet is really a global village and of course the nigeria factor is nothing to write home about.

But believe me you no matter how they might want to frustrate the op, I believe the damage has been done which has tilted the college image. Which to me is actually a good thing; it would at least let the school authority know how the students really feel. The op just start a revolution lol.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by 360command: 7:15am On Jan 09, 2017
HazzanTazzan:

No one thought me to drop out when I started making millions from online freelancing and fx
all the best

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Countries with the highest number of International Students in the United States / 2 Lesbians Caught At Redeemers University / Mbang Confidence Campaigns For SUG Elections In UNICAL With Free Football Views

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.