Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:52 AM

Delta (and Rivers) Igbos - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta (and Rivers) Igbos (57931 Views)

If Nigeria Divide Today, Does Delta And Edo State Has A Place With Yoruba/igbo / Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by RedboneSmith(m): 5:30am On Dec 28, 2016
Probz:

The very same grounds that differentiate Yoruba from Ishekiri/Igala (shared traditions/customs and religion, food, etc.).

I hope you know you completely dodged the question.

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Probz(m): 11:33am On Dec 28, 2016
YourNemesis:

Yorubas and Igalas don't share the same culture though.
Even language wise, Yorubas can't really understand Igala, they can only pick out some words when they are speaking deeply, otherwise, it is hard for a Yoruba to understand an Igala person, except maybe some very few phrases.
Itsekiri is sooo much easier.

"The very same grounds that differentiate Yoruba from Ishekiri/Igala (shared traditions/customs and religion, food, etc.)."

Precisely my point, Nemesis. I'm saying that the things that differentiate Yoruba from Itsekiri and Igala are the customs and traditions (which aren't shared. You misunderstood).

@RedboneSmith, the things that differentiate Yoruboid from Yoruba proper are the same things that differentiate Igboid from Igbo and (at least in my opinion) constitute Igbo culture (traditional belief system, arts, cuisine, etc.). I wasn't dodging any question.

3 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by laudate: 9:50pm On Dec 29, 2016
iSlayer2:
Run along child,I ain't got sweets

See this poor kid...still babbling, as usual. undecided
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by RedboneSmith(m): 10:52pm On Dec 29, 2016
Probz:

@RedboneSmith, the things that differentiate Yoruboid from Yoruba proper are the same things that differentiate Igboid from Igbo and (at least in my opinion) constitute Igbo culture (traditional belief system, arts, cuisine, etc.). I wasn't dodging any question.

We could have an interesting discussion about Igbo culture and what it really is, and then determine if it is possible to distinguish Igboid from Igbo based on culture. But sadly, you are not really engaging my question.

Traditional belief system? What are those elements of Igbo belief system? Are they really pan-Igbo (i.e., do they exist exclusively in all the so-called Igbo areas) and non-existent in the so-called igboid areas?

Cuisine? Can you name a dish which is common to all the so-called Igbo areas --- all of them --- but which the so-called Igboid areas do not indulge in?

Arts? Are there art forms which ALL the so-called Igbo people practise which the so-called Igboids don't?

I want to know if we can really articulate a common Igbo culture which can be demonstrated as separating the Igbo from those you would called Igboid. Put Yoruboid matter aside; this may not be a "London is to England, as Paris is to France" situation.

8 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by AmuDimpka: 7:07pm On Dec 30, 2016
Probz:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igboid_languages

My question is, are Ikas and Ukwuania culturally Igbo or not?

Are ijebus and eguns cultural cultural​ly Yoruba

If you can answer them then their lies your answers

2 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Probz(m): 7:55pm On Dec 31, 2016
RedboneSmith:

We could have an interesting discussion about Igbo culture and what it really is, and then determine if it is possible to distinguish Igboid from Igbo based on culture. But sadly, you are not really engaging my question.

Traditional belief system? What are those elements of Igbo belief system? Are they really pan-Igbo (i.e., do they exist exclusively in all the so-called Igbo areas) and non-existent in the so-called igboid areas?

Cuisine? Can you name a dish which is common to all the so-called Igbo areas --- all of them --- but which the so-called Igboid areas do not indulge in?

Arts? Are there art forms which ALL the so-called Igbo people practise which the so-called Igboids don't?

I want to know if we can really articulate a common Igbo culture which can be demonstrated as separating the Igbo from those you would called Igboid. Put Yoruboid matter aside; this may not be a "London is to England, as Paris is to France" situation.

Cultures aren't ever tagged with the suffix 'oid,' languages are. Oid languages are divergent enough from the overarching umbrella term to stand as distinct languages and not dialects of the parent language but they're on the spectrum and sound at least vaguely similar. But the cultures have either nothing or little in common, that's why they're not considered part of the other group. Igalas and Itsekiris speak a Yoruboid language but they're not Yoruba. Ikas and Ekpeyes speak an Igboid language but the ones Ikas I've encountered are as far removed from Igbo as you can get and I believe Ekpeyes have their own rich traditional culture.

By traditional Igbo culture, I'm talking about Odinani/Alusi/Oji/Osu/etc. My question in the OP is, have these common aspects of traditional Igbo society that partly shape Igbo identity also shared by people from the Bendel region (Ikas and Ukwuanis) or are they only called Igbo by lay people because they speak an Igboid language and share proximity with the more prototypal Enuani clan of Oshimili/Aniocha area?
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by cheruv: 1:18pm On Jan 01, 2017
Probz:
Is everything epic to you, laudete?
He's one of those flies that are attracted to anything Igbo
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by cheruv: 1:26pm On Jan 01, 2017
AmuDimpka:

But the Igbo man in Anambra can understand the ukwuani man

And also ukwuani and oguta speaks exactly same

So ukwuani is Igboid language
Oguta is Igbo dialect

Ikwerre and ohaji speaks almost same dikaects
So ikwerre is an Igboid language
Ohaji is an Igbo dialect

Your definition is so faulty so faulty

If the Anambra man can understand the ukwuani man without the aid of interpreter ..Then ukwuani speaks same language with Anambra but a different dialect

You guys must stop this Igboid madness...Why always Igbo . What about hausaoid language

Linguists, however, do make a distinction between the two based on the concept of mutual intelligibility. Two languages where speakers can understand each other are considered dialects of the same language, whereas two languages where the speakers cannot understand each other are, indeed, separate languages.

This often isn't black and white, since understand can be a hard criterion to pin down. There's no well-established way this has been operationalized.

You deconstructed the fulcrum of his arguments with these...in my view the only Igboid languages are Igbo itself and Ekpeye.
At times I don't get this undue obsession with anything Igbo from Yoruba people especially... I was shocked to find out that some Yoruba now study Igbo history in order to find in which to claim superiority over Igbos undecided

2 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by cheruv: 1:31pm On Jan 01, 2017
ChinenyeN:
PabloAfricanus, you're essentially arguing a point that is ultimately outside the scope of my statement. Your point is relevant though. Specifically, it is relevant to the subject of the historical context, but it is ultimately not the point I am making. You are discussing details of the historical context, while I am simply drawing people's attention to the fact that any attempt to draw lines between "Igbo proper" and "Igboid" is essentially an arbitrary exercise. It results in a farce, because the rules one person uses to draw those lines cannot be uniformly applied to all other contexts, and the aforementioned lines neglect the historical context that gave birth to what we know as "Igbo identity".

Eventually, Nigerians will have to learn. Either nobody is Igbo, or everyone who speaks a type of Igbo is Igbo. Anything in between is arbitrary, and an insult to the various peoples involved.
I love this premise!!
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by cheruv: 2:02pm On Jan 01, 2017
Afam4eva:

Laureta Onochie is from Ika.

@As much as you tried to use objectivity to drive home your point, i don't think using objectivity like you have done can give you a true picture. The only thing i see you doing is that those you classified as Igbos are those that have typical Igbo idiosyncrasies. Notice my usage of the word "typical". I don't know why people tend to define Igbos by popular characteristics of people from the South-East which could have come due to the unique history that they share. It's just like saying someone doesn't look Igbo because they cannot hustle like the average Igbo man without realizing that even hustling really hard is a popular behavior of Igbo people, it's not the only behavior of Igbo people. There are Igbo people that are lazy. there are Igbo people that cannot do business etc.

I think it's pertient that you tell us why you think Ika for example are from Edo as opposed to Enuani? let me guess: is it because they have an Edo influence on their Igboid language? or they could be Edo with Igbo influence. it depends on how you look at it.

it's imperative that Igbo is not a homogenous group and as such all Igbo people should not be exactly the same or have the same political inclination. There are Igbo people and there are people people. There are Igbo people that according to natural order are Igbos based on their language, culture and tradition but they could decide not to go with the Igbo tag. I remember one Ndoni guy on this forum who swore that ndoki was not Igbo but he agreed that all the "BIA" speaking tribes should come together and give themselves a new name but not "Igbo". That's when i realized the fact that the fear of these people isn't necessarily about working the SE Igbos but the fact that being tagged Igbo will swallow their uniqqueness and dissipate them into nothingness. It's just like telling an Annang person to call himself Ibibio.
As an ukwangwa I tend to agree with that idea but aside Biāfra, I don't think any other name appeals as much. Moreover I've noticed that the Anioma tend to be more comfortable with the Biāfra tag than the Igbo one.
What about using "Ola"(treasure) or "Igwe"(celestial/heavenly)
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Probz(m): 10:56pm On Jan 08, 2017
cheruv:

You deconstructed the fulcrum of his arguments with these...in my view the only Igboid languages are Igbo itself and Ekpeye.
At times I don't get this undue obsession with anything Igbo from Yoruba people especially... I was shocked to find out that some Yoruba now study Igbo history in order to find in which to claim superiority over Igbos undecided

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igboid_languages

'Williamson and Blench conclude that the Igbo languages (Igboid apart from Ekpeye) form a "language cluster" and that they are somewhat mutually intelligible. However, mutual intelligibility is only marginal, even among the Izii–Ikwo–Ezaa–Mgbo languages.'

Igbo proper, Ika, Ikwerre, Ebonyi Igbo (Izzi-Ezza-Mgbo-Ikwo) and Ogba are all considered Igbo languages in this study. Ekpeye and Ukwuani are separate, yeah.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by laudate: 11:42pm On Jan 08, 2017
cheruv:
[s]He's one of those flies that are attracted to anything Igbo[/s]

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Noneroone(m): 11:46pm On Jan 09, 2017
"Igboid" such is silly political invention.

I wouldnt have bothered to comment if some supposedly enlightened Igbos didnt post in a manner that is patrionizing to Igbo division agenda

All the indigenous cultures from ika down oratta and ikwerre are Igbo. The variations are just dialects. Some that we call dialects are not even variant enough to constitute one.

Imagine a grown-up saying ikwerre and ogba are "igboid languages"

do you even know the meaning of Igboid? What an insult on the sensibility of Igbos!

people should stop engaging in the crass abuse of the word "language"

someone even said that Igbo is not a homogeinous group. What an academic misfit! Do you know that a historian once suggested that the entire Igboland must have had one single ruler in the distant past, since it is difficult to explain why market days, kinship and well entrenched customs are same throughout igboland.

the slave traders who visited the Niger area since the 14th century clearly recorded majority of the slaves they got as having come from the "heebo" country.

The colonialist in their own account documented that two third of lower niger (old eastern region) are Igbo. These whites related first hand with the natives, spent years with them, studied their culture, religion, belief system, mythology, tradition, ritual, market days etc and concluded the igbos are one and even share one history.

We will not allow some intellectual fraudsters to declare that Igbo is not a homogenous group and go further to arrogate on themselves the academic authority of making phantom declaration behind the keyboard that some igbo dialects are 'igboid' and some are igbo.

If you are looking for attention and you think telling Igbo story the way it will please our enemies is the only way to get it then think again.

3 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Probz(m): 1:06am On Jan 10, 2017
Noneroone:
"Igboid" such is silly political invention.

I wouldnt have bothered to comment if some supposedly enlightened Igbos didnt post in a manner that is patrionizing to Igbo division agenda

All the indigenous cultures from ika down oratta and ikwerre are Igbo. The variations are just dialects. Some that we call dialects are not even variant enough to constitute one.

Imagine a grown-up saying ikwerre and ogba are "igboid languages"

do you even know the meaning of Igboid? What an insult on the sensibility of Igbos!

people should stop engaging in the crass abuse of the word "language"

someone even said that Igbo is not a homogeinous group. What an academic misfit! Do you know that a historian once suggested that the entire Igboland must have had one single ruler in the distant past, since it is difficult to explain why market days, kinship and well entrenched customs are same throughout igboland.

the slave traders who visited the Niger area since the 14th century clearly recorded majority of the slaves they got as having come from the "heebo" country.

The colonialist in their own account documented that two third of lower niger (old eastern region) are Igbo. These whites related first hand with the natives, spent years with them, studied their culture, religion, belief system, mythology, tradition, ritual, market days etc and concluded the igbos are one and even share one history.

We will not allow some intellectual fraudsters to declare that Igbo is not a homogenous group and go further to arrogate on themselves the academic authority of making phantom declaration behind the keyboard that some igbo dialects are 'igboid' and some are igbo.

If you are looking for attention and you think telling Igbo story the way it will please our enemies is the only way to get it then think again.

Mr Man, I don't have a division agenda nor do I claim to be an 'enlightened Igbo.' This thread's clearly my own opinion and personal understanding and I've even asked questions, indicating my knowledge is incomplete. Take time, abeg.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Wulfruna(f): 3:57am On Jan 10, 2017
cheruv:

As an ukwangwa I tend to agree with that idea but aside Biāfra, I don't think any other name appeals as much. Moreover I've noticed that the Anioma tend to be more comfortable with the Biāfra tag than the Igbo one.
What about using "Ola"(treasure) or "Igwe"(celestial/heavenly)

"As an UkwaNgwa." Amazing! grin I wish I had this power to change identity as I like. On this thread you're Ukwa-Ngwa. On the other thread you are Anioma. Brilliant! grin

Cire80
ehikwe22
gerg

Did you guys see this thread/comment? smiley

(Oh, Ukwa-Ngwa is in Abia State... in case you guys aren't familiar with the term.)

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Cire80: 4:27am On Jan 10, 2017
Wulfruna:

"As an UkwaNgwa." Amazing! grin I wish I had this power to change identity as I like. On this thread you're Ukwa-Ngwa. On the other thread you are Anioma. Brilliant! grin

Cire80
ehikwe22
gerg

(Oh, Ukwa-Ngwa is in Abia State... in case you guys aren't familiar with the term.)
thanks. I saw this yesterday and I laughed in my mind because it only confirmed what I already knew. The reason I didn't confront him with it is because I knew he would twist it like he always does. That's what him and his brothers are best at doing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by cheruv: 10:14am On Jan 10, 2017
Wulfruna:

Cire80
ehikwe22
gerg

gringringringrin
Very amazing indeed grin
Well having lived in Aba for quite a longtime, don't you think I've the right to claim to be from there
Too bad despite being a woman you don't know these things undecided
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by ehikwe22: 10:18am On Jan 10, 2017
cheruv:

gringringringrin
Very amazing indeed grin
Well having lived in Aba for quite a longtime, don't you think I've the right to claim to be from there
of course you must come up with a defense
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by cheruv: 10:31am On Jan 10, 2017
Cire80:
thanks. I saw this yesterday and I laughed in my mind because it only confirmed what I already knew. The reason I didn't confront him with it is because I knew he would twist it like he always does. That's what him and his brothers are best at doing.
Thank God oo you didn't bkos I'd have been "forced" to disclose my part of Anioma.. But since ehikwe has thrown it to the public, everyone now knows am an ORU/OLU from ndokwa East.
Unlike you I've never claimed to be Ika...and I know the Ika are a proud nation,as orus we've had exchanges with them over the centuries and am really proud of them.
You claim to be Ika... Yet you know nothing about them,I know how many times the other Bini boy corrected you on your ignorance.the best thing I've seen you do is trying to be more Bini than Oba Ewuare undecided
Moreover my mother is an ukwangwa...so as long as its an issue concerning Igboland, I can either claim East or West as it pleases me.

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Wulfruna(f): 12:27pm On Jan 10, 2017
cheruv:

gringringringrin
Very amazing indeed grin

Cire80 was right. He said you were going to twist this. grin grin

I have been on this forum long enough and have seen your comments long enough to know you have no connnection to Anioma. You are from Imo-Abia axis as your comments bear witness. You only started calling yourself Anioma on the other thread, much to my puzzlement because no be today I don dey see you for this forum.

You better go and start wiping your history, because when I have time i will start digging them up. Including one comment where you clearly insinuated that you are NOT from Delta.

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by cheruv: 1:47pm On Jan 10, 2017
Wulfruna:

I have been on this forum long enough and have seen your comments long enough to know you have no connnection to Anioma. You are from Imo-Abia axis as your comments bear witness. You only started calling yourself Anioma on the other thread, much to my puzzlement because no be today I don dey see you for this forum.

You better go and start wiping your history, because when I have time i will start digging them up. Including one comment where you clearly insinuated that you are NOT from Delta.
Nne biko go and start digging joor grin
I'd call it operation burst cheruv cheesy
Flood the thread with your results... Or better still create a thread so that everyone can see that cheruv is an impostor grin
From what am seeing its gonna be interesting... At least lemme bask in the expected popularity you'd be giving me wink
Biko when's the show starting... Do I've to wait or should I start coming

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by jericco1(m): 4:10pm On Jan 10, 2017
Even me wey be Ika boy, una don successfully confuse me. Nawa
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by laudate: 12:05am On Jan 12, 2017
Wulfruna:

Chimo!! shocked Another Sherlock Holmes has uncovered this chap's antics! I beg, start the digging, o. Some of us are eagerly waiting for the truth to be revealed...hehehe! cheesy
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by laudate: 12:06am On Jan 12, 2017
Cire80:

Na true word you talk!! shocked The secrets are being revealed...
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Probz(m): 11:02pm On Feb 14, 2017
cheruv:

Yupp, that I can see on this very forum.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Igboid: 1:30am On Feb 15, 2017
How can a slimy Afonja who had been hiding behind the mask of "anonymous" ethnic group accuse someone of being an impostor?
Wonders shall never end grin
Enwero ife mmadu ayala afu na Nairaland nkaa, inukwa!

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Cire80: 12:24pm On Feb 15, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Bro, I respect people like you that are honest and argue out of deep personal conviction irrespective of whose ox is gored. I don't know what side you are on this but I'm certain you know the answer to most of these questions you're asking probz. As for me, I'm not completely on any side.

In my opinion, the op is right to some extent but he's trying to argue from an objective angle which I think is not possible in this topic. And his authoritative generalization is another issue.

And all those saying they understand Ukwani and Ika are not being truthful. You understand some things but you can't understand Ika and Ukwani except you've spent some time in an Ika and Ukwani town.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Probz(m): 2:24pm On Feb 15, 2017
Cire80:
Bro, I respect people like you that are honest and argue out of deep personal conviction irrespective of whose ox is gored. I don't know what side you are on this but I'm certain you know the answer to most of these questions you're asking probz. As for me, I'm not completely on any side.

In my opinion, the op is right to some extent but he's trying to argue from an objective angle which I think is not possible in this topic. And his authoritative generalization is another issue.

And all those saying they understand Ukwani and Ika are not being truthful. You understand some things but you can't understand Ika and Ukwani except you've spent some time in an Ika and Ukwani town.

I’m not trying to generalise, believe me. All I said was that, from my experience, most of the Igbo denial in Delta State comes from the Ika-Ukwuani (Bendel) region and that’s for a reason. I know there are Igbo deniers in Asaba environs but they’re noticeably fewer compared to their more westerly neighbours. Riverine Igbos, not just Deltans but select Anambrarians (Onitsha, Ogbaru), have this funny thing about hinterland Igbos anyway. We’ve all heard of ‘nwa onye Igbo.’

Anioma just seems like a pure political creation to me. As far as I can see, Enuani’s the only true Igbo group in the northern Delta State and that’s not even being generalising since most Ika-Ukwuanis that I know vehemently oppose the Igbo label. Cross-border influences are everywhere in the Igbo exterior (Nsukka-Igala, Aro-Ibibio, Abakaliki-Tiv/Idoma) but I can’t help but see Bendel Igbos as nothing other than flat-out Edo-Igbo hybrids. What’s more generalising than any of what I’m saying is lumping them in with true Delta Igbos because they share some linguistic similarities. It seems to me like a pure matter of geographic and political convenience (esp. to an average Nigerian) and partly the reason why people don’t see Delta Igbos as true Igbos, because the Igboid-Edoid groups in that region (who account for the majority) reject the label. That’s why I think the Delta Igbo label should be limited to Aniocha/Oshimili and not including Ika and Ndokwa. Unless someone can tell me that the latter were originally Igbo and not Bini in culture/language and that there’s not just a few of them assimilating into the wider Igbo culture and language for political reasons.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Nobody: 6:33pm On Feb 15, 2017
jericco1:
Even me wey be Ika boy, una don successfully confuse me. Nawa
grin grin grin
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Nowenuse: 7:15pm On Feb 15, 2017
Probz:

I’m not trying to generalise, believe me. All I said was that, from my experience, most of the Igbo denial in Delta State comes from the Ika-Ukwuani (Bendel) region and that’s for a reason. I know there are Igbo deniers in Asaba environs but they’re noticeably fewer compared to their more westerly neighbours. Riverine Igbos, not just Deltans but select Anambrarians (Onitsha, Ogbaru), have this funny thing about hinterland Igbos anyway. We’ve all heard of ‘nwa onye Igbo.’

Anioma just seems like a pure political creation to me. As far as I can see, Enuani’s the only true Igbo group in the northern Delta State and that’s not even being generalising since most Ika-Ukwuanis that I know vehemently oppose the Igbo label. Cross-border influences are everywhere in the Igbo exterior (Nsukka-Igala, Aro-Ibibio, Abakaliki-Tiv/Idoma) but I can’t help but see Bendel Igbos as nothing other than flat-out Edo-Igbo hybrids. What’s more generalising than any of what I’m saying is lumping them in with true Delta Igbos because they share some linguistic similarities. It seems to me like a pure matter of geographic and political convenience (esp. to an average Nigerian) and partly the reason why people don’t see Delta Igbos as true Igbos, because the Igboid-Edoid groups in that region (who account for the majority) reject the label. That’s why I think the Delta Igbo label should be limited to Aniocha/Oshimili and not including Ika and Ndokwa. Unless someone can tell me that the latter were originally Igbo and not Bini in culture/language and that there’s not just a few of them assimilating into the wider Igbo culture and language for political reasons.

Of course. Anioma is a political identity coined by Osadebe for all the western Igbos and it has become a strong identity today almost like an ethnic group.
I don't think it would ever be possible for anyone to seperate Anioma people based on Igbo denial/acceptance. I grew up with these people and i can tell u that Igbo denial/acceptance is roughly divided among them.
I have met proud Ika/Ndokwa Igbos as well as Asaba/Anochia igbo denials. These people have been neighbours with each other for centuries and have evolved a lot of similar cultures at the western part of the river. Only they can choose to divide themselves.

Are u aware that some Ika and Ndokwa towns speak Enuani instead of Ika and Ndokwa based languages?
Even among the Anochia and Asaba people, different towns claim different origins and identities. I doubt they can ever be seperated as such.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Nowenuse: 7:39pm On Feb 15, 2017
@Probz

As much as u may want to see Anioma people differentiated based on their Igboness, i'd like to make it known to u that the united Anioma identity has been of immense benefit to them as it has helped them unite in order to become politically relevant in Delta state.
Delta state is a multi-ethnic state where different groups fight for their interests radically and as usual the larger ones take the day.
If Anioma politicians and people had not united to support one Governorship candidate in the last Delta governorship elections that saw the first Anioma governor of Delta state, i doubt they would have ever produced any governor in Delta state.
So, as much as u would like Anioma or parts of Anioma to be so igbocentric and united with their Igbo peeps over the Niger, don't u be so selfish to ignore their own political interests and destiny in their own political arena.

Take a look at Rivers state and see how fragmented the Igboid groups over there are. It's a good thing that they have over half of the population in Rivers state hence they are politically at advantage unlike Anioma people who are only a third of Delta state, but nonetheless it would have been better if all the Igboid Rivers group have a united identity like that of Delta Igbos.

Almost every village in Rivers Igboid areas claim their own identity, Ikwerre, Ndoni, Ogba, Egbema, Ekpeye, Ndoki, Asa, Etche, Omuma e.t.c and while the larger Ikwerres may be enjoying politically and developing, the smaller ones are suffering neglect because these fragmented tribes do not care about each other.
Some even speak Igbo but are adressed as Ijaws like the Bonny/Opobo people. I have resided in PH and seen all these.
Kudos to the Aniomas for their unity.

In the Nigeria of today that we are, our political classificatioms have become somehow more important than our ethnic classifications and this is something some of you must accept.
Most Delta and Rivers Igboid groups cherish their state identities more than a pan Igbo identity because that has somehow been their means of getting what they want.

Reminds me of a Kogi friend of mine from the yoruba speaking part of Kogi, in ABU Zaria she went to Yoruba student union to apply for a scholarship meant for yoruba people, but she was rejected there and told that she is not from the southwest and that the scholarship only covers the South-west and Kogi is excluded.
Irrespective of the fact that she grew up in the south-west and feels yoruba like every other yoruba person, it dawned on her that her first identity lies with her fellow Kogites ( the Igalas, Igbirras, Bassas and co) and Kogi identity is something she must live with and Kogi state does not recognise Yoruba ethnic group but only OKUN and OKUN SUBTRIBES.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by chijiblaze(m): 5:50am On Feb 16, 2017
Cire80:

Maybe you'd need to spend some time in Ika-land or Ukwaliland to become fluent in the dialects but ordinarily listening to them, if you understand central Igbo language you will be able to figure out more than 80% of what Ika and Ukwuali people are saying.
And an Onye-Igbo can become quite fluent in the language within one weekend of interaction with the natives of these places.
This is notwithstanding the fact that these Ika and Ukwuali people understand central Igbo perfectly well without first studying it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

Yoruba Names/Oriki For God / Oba Saheed Elegushi Buys Bulletproof Rolls Royce Gushi (Photos) / ‘Queen Firdaus Of Iwoland’, Oluwo Unveils New Wife (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.