Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,416 members, 7,808,484 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:38 PM

Delta (and Rivers) Igbos - Culture (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta (and Rivers) Igbos (57938 Views)

If Nigeria Divide Today, Does Delta And Edo State Has A Place With Yoruba/igbo / Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by kpaminose: 1:00pm On Jun 04, 2017
AmuDimpka:
And you have ended up twisting it

Having lived in Lagos for years doesn't make me a Yoruba
cheruv is an impersonator
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by AmuDimpka: 6:17pm On Jun 04, 2017
Ok
kpaminose:
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by cheruv: 6:45am On Aug 22, 2017
kpaminose:
So says an Edo hater undecided
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by danye8: 4:45pm On Feb 26, 2018
calling other people's dialect intelligible,calling some ethnic groups/tribe "TRUE" and others "false" is disrespectful.i am an enuani man from anioma part of delta state,my language is igboid doesn't make it igbo.ENUANI is my languge and ethnicity,ANIOMA is my land and that should be respected.and i also admit i share linguistic similarity with the igbos but i am not igbo first,i am ENUANI first.period

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Probz(m): 8:26pm On Feb 26, 2018
danye8:
calling other people's dialect intelligible,calling some ethnic groups/tribe "TRUE" and others "false" is disrespectful.i am an enuani man from anioma part of delta state,my language is igboid doesn't make it igbo.ENUANI is my languge and ethnicity,ANIOMA is my land and that should be respected.and i also admit i share linguistic similarity with the igbos but i am not igbo first,i am ENUANI first.period

Enuani’s a dialect of Igbo. You can have your personal identity but as far as facts go Enuani’z no less Igbo than Ngwa or Waawa. Anything else is misdirected sentiments.

Enuani’s a subgroup. Igbo’s your tribe.

4 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by bigfrancis21: 11:20pm On Feb 26, 2018
danye8:

Language and identity are two different things. You can speak a language but choose not to identify with that language. In the UK for example, English has nearly displaced other native UK language such as Welsh, Irish, Cornish etc. Majority of Irish, Welsh people etc. speak English as native language but identify as Welsh, Irish etc. Minority are able to speak Welsh, Irish etc. fluently alongside English.

Let's call what something is what it is. Enuani is a dialect of Igbo language but if you choose to see yourself differently that is up to you but do not try to change what is obvious or calling letter A C or D.

3 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Probz(m): 12:03am On Feb 27, 2018
bigfrancis21:

Language and identity are two different things. You can speak a language but choose not to identify with that language. In the UK for example, English has nearly displaced other native UK language such as Welsh, Irish, Cornish etc. Majority of Irish, Welsh people etc. speak English as native language but identify as Welsh, Irish etc. Minority are able to speak Welsh, Irish etc. fluently alongside English.

Let's call what something is what it is. Enuani is a dialect of Igbo language but if you choose to see yourself differently that is up to you but do not try to change what is obvious or calling letter A C or D.

A pure dialect too. As central as they come compared to most non-Anambra dialects.

This man’s getting Enuani muddled up with Ika. grin

3 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by odigbosky(m): 11:00am On Apr 03, 2018
bigfrancis21:

Now let me ask you this question, why would the binis possibly name agbor 'agbon' meaning 'earth' or 'land'. What's the significance or motive behind this name?

so i have been following your comments on this thread and i like it. Kudos to you. I am an Edo from the Esan stock. Regarding your question i think there is really something the ancient Benins have with Agbor. First they call it agbon meaning land or earth as you said. I read a historical work written by Ekhaguosa Aisien, he is one of the best Edo historian alive. He wrote about the life of Oba Ewuare I and his links to lots of places in present day ika land including his brief stay at Issele Ukwu from where the Onicha kingdom actually came from. Regarding agbor, he talked about a tale which benin chief priest of a certain diety confirmed to him that it was in agbor that the first Europeans landed before they retraced their steps to Benin. He said they came in through the river ethiope. The Benins feel they owned agbor and the names of many places in agbor is a substantial fact to that. Now coming to my own part, i believe migration was in two ways...i only recently got to know that my ancestors came from agbor. i was shocked when the people in my village said so...today we are in Esan west local government close to ekpoma. So you see, people were moving in and out of ika land because i feel the language barrier was very thin then. Places like Ubulu Ukwu and Adesuwa are found in our folklores. Do you know that most of the ika lands are close to the ohrionmwon territories which fall into the defunct Ugu kingdom. I don't know if you consider Obiarukuwu to be ika land but its just about 30 minutes from Evboesi a staunch Benin village and there are so many pple from both sides living together. I heard that when the British came, Benin chiefs told them that Agbor belonged to the Oba.
Concerning who first settled in these ika lands, a historian said that the Oba of Benin established dukedoms like Issele ukwu to serve as an outpost to monitor the influx of strange people from the other side of the great river...so if i go by that narrative, we had lots of Igbos crossing the niger and settling in these lands west of the niger. They met those at the outpost who probably became the word of the Oba and hence became kings loyal to the Oba of Benin hence their style of monarchy in most ika lands. Later on, many Benin natives also moved to these areas to join the igbos who had already dominated these land linguistically due to the fact that these lands as an outpost contained mainly soldiers who weren't even large in numbers.
Whatever the case maybe....migration was in two ways as my own family is an example. So regarding the issue of pro benin ika groups coming back to Edo state, what would my fate be...it would be the same right. I don't feel like am from Agbor at all, i don't know anyone there, being esan and Edo is all i have known in my life and i feel my home is right here in Edo state. So it is about those benins in Ika land. it is their home and that's where they will always be...they can always identify with Benin as their source just as i just told you mine came from agbor....
I hope i replied you in a way that would create a room for intellectual discuss and i do not mean to insult you or your kinsmen in anyway with this post. if i have done in anyway unknowingly i ask to be pardoned.

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by ehikwe22: 7:39pm On Apr 09, 2018
odigbosky:

so i have been following your comments on this thread and i like it. Kudos to you. I am an Edo from the Esan stock. Regarding your question i think there is really something the ancient Benins have with Agbor. First they call it agbon meaning land or earth as you said. I read a historical work written by Ekhaguosa Aisien, he is one of the best Edo historian alive. He wrote about the life of Oba Ewuare I and his links to lots of places in present day ika land including his brief stay at Issele Ukwu from where the Onicha kingdom actually came from. Regarding agbor, he talked about a tale which benin chief priest of a certain diety confirmed to him that it was in agbor that the first Europeans landed before they retraced their steps to Benin. He said they came in through the river ethiope. The Benins feel they owned agbor and the names of many places in agbor is a substantial fact to that. Now coming to my own part, i believe migration was in two ways...i only recently got to know that my ancestors came from agbor. i was shocked when the people in my village said so...today we are in Esan west local government close to ekpoma. So you see, people were moving in and out of ika land because i feel the language barrier was very thin then. Places like Ubulu Ukwu and Adesuwa are found in our folklores. Do you know that most of the ika lands are close to the ohrionmwon territories which fall into the defunct Ugu kingdom. I don't know if you consider Obiarukuwu to be ika land but its just about 30 minutes from Evboesi a staunch Benin village and there are so many pple from both sides living together. I heard that when the British came, Benin chiefs told them that Agbor belonged to the Oba.
Concerning who first settled in these ika lands, a historian said that the Oba of Benin established dukedoms like Issele ukwu to serve as an outpost to monitor the influx of strange people from the other side of the great river...so if i go by that narrative, we had lots of Igbos crossing the niger and settling in these lands west of the niger. They met those at the outpost who probably became the word of the Oba and hence became kings loyal to the Oba of Benin hence their style of monarchy in most ika lands. Later on, many Benin natives also moved to these areas to join the igbos who had already dominated these land linguistically due to the fact that these lands as an outpost contained mainly soldiers who weren't even large in numbers.
Whatever the case maybe....migration was in two ways as my own family is an example. So regarding the issue of pro benin ika groups coming back to Edo state, what would my fate be...it would be the same right. I don't feel like am from Agbor at all, i don't know anyone there, being esan and Edo is all i have known in my life and i feel my home is right here in Edo state. So it is about those benins in Ika land. it is their home and that's where they will always be...they can always identify with Benin as their source just as i just told you mine came from agbor....
I hope i replied you in a way that would create a room for intellectual discuss and i do not mean to insult you or your kinsmen in anyway with this post. if i have done in anyway unknowingly i ask to be pardoned.
Any sensible human being claiming to be knowledgeable about Ika should know this. And the places with very high mixture of EDO and Igbo is the Aniocha Oshimili axis. The very high number of Igbo's there influenced the Ika's. And Isele Uku is not an Ika land.

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Igboid: 5:44pm On Apr 10, 2018
ehikwe22:
Any sensible human being claiming to be knowledgeable about Ika should know this. And the places with very high mixture of EDO and Igbo is the Aniocha Oshimili axis. The very high number of Igbo's there influenced the Ika's. And Isele Uku is not an Ika land.

Trash as usual.

The high number of Igbos in Nsukka is yet to convert Igala neighbors to Igbo speaking.
The high number of Igbos in Ndoki is yet to convert Eleme and Tai Ogoni people to Igbo speaking.
But somehow, the Igbos in Enu ani communities influenced Bini people in Ika, who are a kilometer away from Bini and who are in love with Bini culture, ancestry and ways, into dumping their Bini language for Igbo language.

Anakogheli.

9 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by ehikwe22: 4:49pm On Apr 12, 2018
Igboid:

Trash as usual.

The high number of Igbos in Nsukka is yet to convert Igala neighbors to Igbo speaking.
The high number of Igbos in Ndoki is yet to convert Eleme and Tai Ogoni people to Igbo speaking.
But somehow, the Igbos in Enu ani communities influenced Bini people in Ika, who are a kilometer away from Bini and who are in love with Bini culture, ancestry and ways, into dumping their Bini language for Igbo language.

Anakogheli.
straight line thinkers as usual. Igbo's have a high numbers of slaves in the Americas but Yoruba language and culture managed to survive in majority of the Americas. I know you will have one silly excuse for this but dismiss any excuse for Ika and EDO language. And how dumb you are, you'll not see any relationship between the two instances.

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Igboid: 8:03pm On Apr 12, 2018
ehikwe22:
straight line thinkers as usual. Igbo's have a high numbers of slaves in the Americas but Yoruba language and culture managed to survive in majority of the Americas. I know you will have one silly excuse for this but dismiss any excuse for Ika and EDO language. And how dumb you are, you'll not see any relationship between the two instances.

Are you OK at all?

Yorubas in America were late arrivals there.
They came there at a time the slave masters were no longer strict on stripping the slaves off there tribal identities, including language.
Many blacks in Americas who lost their African languages and culture, due to the initial strict detribalization policy of the slave masters, now looked to connect back to Africa by adopting the African culture of the newly arrived Yorubas who were fresh from Africa.

The problem with you Ika, Ikwerre, and other confused Igbo but non Igbo groups out there, is that you all are like a drowning man, you would hold unto any thing, no matter how weak it is, just to maintain your irrational and delusional inferiority complex induced, identity crisis stories.

The Ika were not separated by the Atlantic from Biniland, like the Igbo slaves in Americas were from Igboland, the Ikas were at no point forced by an invading or colonial Igbo authority to change their Bini language to Igbo, like the Igbo slaves were forcefully deigbonized by the slave masters, who feared that the Slaves if allowed to retain their tribal languages, identities and solidarity, might unite and revolt against them.
On the contrary, Bini/Edoland is completely contagious with Ikaland, no sea or Great river separates Bini from Ikaland, Bini were an imperial force who continually maintained close relationship with Ika.

There is no rational way of explaining away, how a Bini loving Ika people, dumped Bini language, for Igbo language, a language of a people they don't revel or want to be part of.

Until the day you drop this current Igboid language you speak, and choose an Edoid one, like Oza nogogo people do, the joke would always be on you, and we will always be here to press it home.

8 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Nobody: 12:06am On Apr 13, 2018
Most people learn languages to communicate with those against whom they fight or with whom they trade.
Forgive the ika people, they didn't know that duches like you would ever exist.
They didn't know that they were committing a crime by learning and speaking igbo.
My dad learn't haussa when he was in the army.
The Oba of Benin Kingdom and chiefs of Benin Kingdom used to speak many languages including portuguese, english and many african languages.
But the illiteracy in nigeria lead some fools to say that "yoruba is the lingua franca in the Edo court".
You people's obsession about those who speak your language is very unhealthy and makes people not want to learn it.
Right now we are all speaking english yet the british are not trying to claim us as british, I speak french, that doesn't make me french, it is just what I had to learn to communicate with french people.
Languages are for communication, not for "blood test".

Igboid:

There is no rational way of explaining away, how a Bini loving Ika people, dumped Bini language, for Igbo language, a language of a people they don't revel or want to be part of.

Until the day you drop this current Igboid language you speak, and choose an Edoid one, like Oza nogogo people do, the joke would always be on you, and we will always be here to press it home.

2 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by laudate: 12:50am On Apr 13, 2018
ehikwe22:
I don talk say I no go laugh today, but...! cheesy Una just wan take style use laugh kill person for here. grin
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by laudate: 1:22am On Apr 13, 2018
prolog2:
Most people learn languages to communicate with those against whom they fight or with whom they trade.
They didn't know that they were committing a crime by learning and speaking igbo.

The Oba of Benin Kingdom and chiefs of Benin Kingdom used to speak many languages including portuguese, english and many african languages.
But the illiteracy in nigeria lead some fools to say that "yoruba is the lingua franca in the Edo court".
You people's obsession about those who speak your language is very unhealthy and makes people not want to learn it.
Right now we are all speaking english yet the british are not trying to claim us as british, I speak french, that doesn't make me french, it is just what I had to learn to communicate with french people.
May the wisdom God placed in your life, never diminish! Can I get an Amen from somebody? cheesy
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Igboid: 2:13am On Apr 13, 2018

Irrational argument.
People learn languages to communicate with neighbors, for example, in Ikwuano parts of Abia, many of the villages at the boundary of Akwa Ibom, all speak Ibibio as second language, to ease communication with the Ibibios, their Ibibio neighbors learn Igbo as well, to ease communication and inter trading and marital activities.
Go to Obolo Afor side of Enugu , the people are bilingual in both Idoma and Igbo, to ease communication with their Idoma neighbors.

People learn each other languages for ease of communication, they don't throw away their language to start speaking the language of their neighbors, no body does that.
Ika neighbors are Edos, and not SE.

Again you are not making sense.
We are talking about a people here, and you are talking about your father.
When your father learnt Hausa, did he now throw away Edo(Bini) language or did he not add Hausa to the list of languages he could speak?

Exactly my point, the language of the ruling elite of a community might change,when faced with an invading force, for example, the language of the government of Nigeria remain English (Language of our invaders, the British), but the indigenous languages of the Nigerian commoners would always remain with them, and ultimately, the invading language would become only but a second language, and not become a native language.

Igbos never invaded Ikaland, so, at no point did we introduce Igbo language as a colonial language to them, secondly, even if in a hypothetical world, we assume Ndiigbo invaded and ruled Ika, the worst that would happen is that the original Edoid( hypothetically assuming Ika spoke an Edo language originally, even though we know they didn't, in reality) language of Ika would remain, and be only stained by few Igbo words, just as the English language had affected our native languages and not replaced them.

We are not all speaking English, we only speak English as a second language, we all have our own indigenous languages, and we all know English to be the language of our colonizers, the British.
Ika don't speak an Igboid language as a second language, it's an indigenous language to them, neither was Ika land at any point colonized by Ndiigbo, instead they were colonized by Edos.

Your argument is therefore invalid, irrelevant and redundant. Considering how long Ika was under Edo dominion and how close geographically Ika is to Edo speaking tribes, it's a testament to the antiquity and vigour of the original Igbo language of ancient Ika people , that it still retained intelligibility with the Igbo languages and dialects spoken in far away SE despite corruption and stains by and with Edoid words, intonations and manners of speech.

5 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Nobody: 3:07am On Apr 13, 2018
Why in hell did I enter this conversation ?
I should have known you were a convinced and brainwashed igbocentric person.
I don't do speculations and pretend they are facts. Instead I use historical documents to prove my points.
I urge you to do the same rather than living upon assumptions and fake logics.

Benin Kingdom:

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595525w/f1.item.r=Benin.zoom

An other map of Benin made in the 17th century once again:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b530530714.r=Benin?rk=214593;2

An other map of Benin from the 17th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b.r=Benin?rk=193134;0

This one date to the 19th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8469390z/f1.item.r=Benin.zoom

I still don't understand why you nigerians are so fund of talking illogically.
It is a fact that the Ika people are Edo, the language they speak is irrelevent.
Enough said, go and build your biafra in cameroon with your bantu brothers.

Please don't quote me again, I have talked to enough idiots for this life time already.
By the way, here is a question to everybody whom this concerns, guys don't quote me, just answer: what is the definition of an igbo ?
Don't tell me that igbos are a "tribe" or an "ethnicity" indeed there is no central "igbo leader".
To the best of my knowledge, igbo is a bunch of unrelated people who just happen to speak languages which are supposedly close to one another. Some people who speak that language (in the south-east) are actually bantu, that is their ethnicity.
Ofcourse some have gone and made up myths of igbo being jewish or being egyptians or being norwegians. Nope, igbo is just a language, that is all, the nigerian bantu are trying to claim everybody who speak a certain group of languages, but that is a fraud. Bantu-biafrans, you can unite with your fellow bantu in cameroon and stop confusing the masses.

Igboid:

Irrational argument.
People learn languages to communicate with neighbors, for example, in Ikwuano parts of Abia, many of the villages at the boundary of Akwa Ibom, all speak Ibibio as second language, to ease communication with the Ibibios, their Ibibio neighbors learn Igbo as well, to ease communication and inter trading and marital activities.
Go to Obolo Afor side of Enugu , the people are bilingual in both Idoma and Igbo, to ease communication with their Idoma neighbors.

People learn each other languages for ease of communication, they don't throw away their language to start speaking the language of their neighbors, no body does that.
Ika neighbors are Edos, and not SE.

Again you are not making sense.
We are talking about a people here, and you are talking about your father.
When your father learnt Hausa, did he now throw away Edo(Bini) language or did he not add Hausa to the list of languages he could speak?

Exactly my point, the language of the ruling elite of a community might change,when faced with an invading force, for example, the language of the government of Nigeria remain English (Language of our invaders, the British), but the indigenous languages of the Nigerian commoners would always remain with them, and ultimately, the invading language would become only but a second language, and not become a native language.

Igbos never invaded Ikaland, so, at no point did we introduce Igbo language as a colonial language to them, secondly, even if in a hypothetical world, we assume Ndiigbo invaded and ruled Ika, the worst that would happen is that the original Edoid( hypothetically assuming Ika spoke an Edo language originally, even though we know they didn't, in reality) language of Ika would remain, and be only stained by few Igbo words, just as the English language had affected our native languages and not replaced them.

We are not all speaking English, we only speak English as a second language, we all have our own indigenous languages, and we all know English to be the language of our colonizers, the British.
Ika don't speak an Igboid language as a second language, it's an indigenous language to them, neither was Ika land at any point colonized by Ndiigbo, instead they were colonized by Edos.

Your argument is therefore invalid, irrelevant and redundant. Considering how long Ika was under Edo dominion and how close geographically Ika is to Edo speaking tribes, it's a testament to the antiquity and vigour of the original Igbo language of ancient Ika people , that it still retained intelligibility with the Igbo languages and dialects spoken in far away SE despite corruption and stains by and with Edoid words, intonations and manners of speech.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Nobody: 3:27am On Apr 13, 2018
igbo is not an ethnicity, bantu is. I know white people who speak igbo, yet they are not bantu.
south-easterners who want biafra, you are free to reunite with your bantu brothers in cameroon, by the way, the original biafra was mostly in cameroon.

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Igboid: 4:08am On Apr 13, 2018
I don't do speculations and pretend they are facts. Instead I use historical documents to prove my points.

Benin Kingdom:

Irrelevant Maps.

It is a fact that the Ika people are Edo, the language they speak is irrelevent.

Ika people are not, and have never been addressed as Edo.

The Caucasians after studying them, labelled them together with Enu-ani and Ukwuani as Western Igbos.

The language they speak is relevant, as it's their indigenous language, and rightly tells us whom they are, despite centuries of Edo imperialism and relationship with them.

You need to go finish your Oduduwa thing with your Yoruba brothers.

Please don't quote me again, I have talked to enough idiots for this life time already.
By the way, here is a question to everybody whom this concerns, guys don't quote me, just answer: what is the definition of an igbo ?
Don't tell me that igbos are a "tribe" or an "ethnicity" indeed there is no central "igbo leader".

You are not sounding reasonable.

What is the definition of Edo?

Igbo is an ethnic group, an advanced set of people that evolved past the crude monarchical systems of government, to embrace republic and democratic systems of government, long before the Caucasians came. Although some Igbo groups practiced monarchical systems.

There need not be a central Igbo leader.

To the best of my knowledge, igbo is a bunch of unrelated people who just happen to speak languages which are supposedly close to one another. Some people who speak that language (in the south-east) are actually bantu, that is their ethnicity.

Well, you are a man of limited knowledge, if not, you would know that all Igbo speaking groups are connected community by community to each other.

The Ika are connected to the Enu-ani, the Enu ani are connected to Ogbaru and Idemili, and the link continues, leading to dialectical variations until you reach Isobo, the easternmost wing of Igboland, in Obubra LGA of Cross River State.
You are not really knowledgeable.

There is nothing like Bantu in Igboland.

Ofcourse some have gone and made up myths of igbo being jewish or being egyptians or being norwegians. Nope, igbo is just a language, that is all, the nigerian bantu are trying to claim everybody who speak a certain group of languages, but that is a fraud. Bantu-biafrans, you can unite with your fellow bantu in cameroon and stop confusing the masses.

Now, you are totally not making sense above, I hope you know that.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by ariesbull: 4:09am On Apr 13, 2018
prolog2:

Benin Kingdom:

Dude stop arguing ...you aren't making sense here

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Nobody: 4:12am On Apr 13, 2018
The Edo are the citizens of the precolonial african country called Benin Kingdom by some and Benin empire by others.
Period.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Nobody: 4:16am On Apr 13, 2018
Bantu, stop disguising yourself under the igbo language.
We have spotted you.
Oh, so you invented democracy ? Yeah right. You came from israel and egypt and norway and invented democracy and the aeroplane as well. And the language you speak is an ethnicity, yeah right. By the way I speak english, so I am from the english ethnicity, this is an ethnicity which has more than 2 billion people in it.

Seriously speaking, there is no such thing as igbo-ethnicity nor igbo-tribe, the bantu-nigerians are trying to take over a bunch of people speaking a group of languages qualified as igbo.

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by B2mario(m): 6:50am On Apr 13, 2018
prolog2:
Bantu, stop disguising yourself under the igbo language.
We have spotted you.
Oh, so you invented democracy ? Yeah right. You came from israel and egypt and norway and invented democracy and the aeroplane as well. And the language you speak is an ethnicity, yeah right. By the way I speak english, so I am from the english ethnicity, this is an ethnicity which has more than 2 billion people in it.

Seriously speaking, there is no such thing as igbo-ethnicity nor igbo-tribe, the bantu-nigerians are trying to take over a bunch of people speaking a group of languages qualified as igbo.

Oga go and check yourself, I've been reading your comments but they are not making sense.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by ehikwe22: 3:12pm On Apr 14, 2018
Igboid:

Are you OK at all?

Yorubas in America were late arrivals there.
They came there at a time the slave masters were no longer strict on stripping the slaves off there tribal identities, including language.
Many blacks in Americas who lost their African languages and culture, due to the initial strict detribalization policy of the slave masters, now looked to connect back to Africa by adopting the African culture of the newly arrived Yorubas who were fresh from Africa.

The problem with you Ika, Ikwerre, and other confused Igbo but non Igbo groups out there, is that you all are like a drowning man, you would hold unto any thing, no matter how weak it is, just to maintain your irrational and delusional inferiority complex induced, identity crisis stories.

The Ika were not separated by the Atlantic from Biniland, like the Igbo slaves in Americas were from Igboland, the Ikas were at no point forced by an invading or colonial Igbo authority to change their Bini language to Igbo, like the Igbo slaves were forcefully deigbonized by the slave masters, who feared that the Slaves if allowed to retain their tribal languages, identities and solidarity, might unite and revolt against them.
On the contrary, Bini/Edoland is completely contagious with Ikaland, no sea or Great river separates Bini from Ikaland, Bini were an imperial force who continually maintained close relationship with Ika.

You guys don't disappoint. Late arrivals? How? What's the timeline of the Yoruba slave trades and the bight of biafra? Slavery started in yorubaland from 14th century. When did slave trade start in Igboland? As usual, you will delusionally concoct some irrelevant excuses and play down any scenario for Ika. You are the one drowning. You exhibted all my predicted scenarios. I know you guys too well.

3 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Igboid: 10:16pm On Apr 14, 2018
ehikwe22:
You guys don't disappoint. Late arrivals? How? What's the timeline of the Yoruba slave trades and the bight of biafra? Slavery started in yorubaland from 14th century. When did slave trade start in Igboland? As usual, you will delusionally concoct some irrelevant excuses and play down any scenario for Ika. You are the one drowning. You exhibted all my predicted scenarios. I know you guys too well.

You are a drowning man, it's depressing reading your posts.

On the Yorubas being the late arrivals to the Americas, in sufficient amount to leave cultural imprints more than the Kongo, Efiks, Igbos, Akans, etc, whose period of shipment to the Americas in large numbers coincided with period of cultural suppression by the slave masters, you can read about it here:https://www.nairaland.com/1234180/why-did-yoruba-culture-survive#up

Meanwhile, it's quite pathetic that you are using Igbos in Americas, ( who were forcefully separated from Igbo land and Igbo people, by a large Atlantic Ocean for centuries, and consequently forced by their enslavers to drop their languages, under the threat of torture and death) , to compare to Ikas, who remain neighbors to Binis, separated by only small abudu hills, who retained relationship with imperial Bini all-time in history and who at no point were colonized by Ndiigbo.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Nobody: 11:32pm On Apr 14, 2018
Bantu, keep quiet, please.
You've talked too much bull shit for today.
Igboid:

On the Yorubas being the late arrivals to the Americas, in sufficient amount to leave cultural imprints more than the Kongo, Efiks, Igbos, Akans, etc, whose period of shipment to the Americas in large numbers coincided with period of cultural suppression by the slave masters, you can read about it here:https://www.nairaland.com/1234180/why-did-yoruba-culture-survive#up

Meanwhile, it's quite pathetic that you are using Igbos in Americas, ( who were forcefully separated from Igbo land and Igbo people, by a large Atlantic Ocean for centuries, and consequently forced by their enslavers to drop their languages, under the threat of torture and death) , to compare to Ikas, who remain neighbors to Binis, separated by only small abudu hills, who retained relationship with imperial Bini all-time in history and who at no point were colonized by Ndiigbo.

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Nobody: 7:16am On Apr 15, 2018
Igboid:

You're an idiot that never makes no sense. Saying Yorubas were enslaved later than the Igbo doesn't make it a fact. Can you tell me when shipment of Yoruba slaves started, that of the Igbos were abolished? You don't look for stupid excuse for your failure and play down very sensible excuse for another's. Must you pursue your campaign with lies?

2 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Igboid: 8:21am On Apr 15, 2018
Takeproft:
You're an idiot that never makes no sense. Saying Yorubas were enslaved later than the Igbo doesn't make it a fact. Can you tell me when shipment of Yoruba slaves started, that of the Igbos were abolished? You don't look for stupid excuse for your failure and play down very sensible excuse for another's. Must you pursue your campaign with lies?

It's a historical fact that the bulk of Yoruba slaves arrived the Americas much later than the Igbos, Kongo, Akans and other Africa groups.

This is a historical fact.

By the way, Mod, isn't this OP violating NL rule, with all those expletives he channeled on my person?

Please, do the needful, or I would be forced to respond to him in kind.

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Nobody: 9:40am On Apr 15, 2018
Igboid:

It's a historical fact that the bulk of Yoruba slaves arrived the Americas much later than the Igbos, Kongo, Akans and other Africa groups.

By the way, Mod, isn't this OP violating NL rule, with all those expletives he channeled on my person?

I think you're a weakling. You've used similar words on this thread and nobody called the mod. Like I didn't see your responses to others

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by YourNemesis: 10:10am On Apr 15, 2018
Igboid:

Not true.
Slavery started in the bight of Benin before the Bight of Biafra sef.
You might say the bulk were lade "late" as in like 1700s to late 1800s, but that does not mean there were no early Yoruba slaves. Look at Haiti for example that had an early slave revolution and hence had the input of newcomer slaves cut short early due to independent status, yet there is still Yoruba influence there.

Also, the reason you gave earlier is NOT the reason Yoruba culture survives in the Americas. Why did Fon and Yoruba culture survive in the USA , when they were there under the same conditions as those you claim their cultures were totally removed from them?
That other thread you posted its link here is just a wild generalization.

2 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Ngozi123(f): 11:57am On Apr 15, 2018
prolog2:
igbo is not an ethnicity, bantu is. I know white people who speak igbo, yet they are not bantu.
south-easterners who want biafra, you are free to reunite with your bantu brothers in cameroon, by the way, the original biafra was mostly in cameroon.

shocked What on earth is Nairaland turning into?

6 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Igboid: 4:07pm On Apr 15, 2018
You might say the bulk were lade "late" as in like 1700s to late 1800s, but that does not mean there were no early Yoruba slaves. Look at Haiti for example that had an early slave revolution and hence had the input of newcomer slaves cut short early due to independent status, yet there is still Yoruba influence there.

Are there no Igbo, Kongo, etc influences all over the Americas as well?

The late coming of Yorubas in bulk, at a point the slave masters had relaxed their anti African language, religion and culture stance, gave the Yorubas in Brazil and other parts, upper hand.

Also, the reason you gave earlier is NOT the reason Yoruba culture survives in the Americas. Why did Fon and Yoruba culture survive in the USA , when they were there under the same conditions as those you claim their cultures were totally removed from them?
That other thread you posted its link here is just a wild generalization.

Yoruba culture didn't survive in the USA, anymore than other African cultures.

Look at Haiti for example that had an early slave revolution and hence had the input of newcomer slaves cut short early due to independent status, yet there is still Yoruba influence there.

This too had already been discussed in the thread I posted its link.

Groups who didn't even have anything to do with Yoruba in Americas, all decided to adopt the traditional religions of newly incoming Yoruba people, having lost their own heritage earlier, as a means to connect back to mother Africa.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply)

Yoruba Names/Oriki For God / Oba Saheed Elegushi Buys Bulletproof Rolls Royce Gushi (Photos) / ‘Queen Firdaus Of Iwoland’, Oluwo Unveils New Wife (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.