Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,817 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:06 AM

The Issue Of Abandoned Properties Is Not Yet Settled - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Issue Of Abandoned Properties Is Not Yet Settled (5255 Views)

What Was Ojuku's Role in Helping Igbos to Reclaim Their Abandoned Properties? / When Will Rivers & Bayelsa Hand Over Abandoned Properties To Ibos ? / Abandoned Properties Still Unresolved (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Issue Of Abandoned Properties Is Not Yet Settled by naijaking1: 2:34am On Nov 19, 2009
I was shocked to read this news item today, because I thought we have moved past this issue in our nation's history.

http://www.nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html

[size=18pt]A monarch’s heartache
, God, when will govt return my properties?[/size]
By TOPE ADEBOBOYE
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
• HRM Eze Wogu
Photo: THE SUN PUBLISHING

He lives in a magnificent palace, dons colourful traditional attires and presides over the affairs of his people in the Abia State capital. He’s blessed with children and grandchildren, all of who are doing quite well in their respective professions. Add that to the good health he enjoys even at the grand age of 82, and you’ll think His Royal Majesty, Eze (Sir) Mac U. Wogu, lives his days in utter fulfilment, with absolutely no worries troubling his octogenarian mind.
But you would be wrong.

In spite of his privileged position and pedigree, the Eze-Ohanyerugo and paramount traditional ruler of Umuahia has a big ache assailing his heart. Each day, a question traumatizes his soul, yet he can’t come up with an answer. The respected monarch is saddened that almost four decades after the conclusion of the Nigeria/Biafra war, items of his property seized by the Nigerian government are yet to be returned.
The monarch isn’t the only one enduring this pathetic fate. Many others have silently borne their pains since they were deprived of their land, homes, offices and other items of property after the civil war.

This Saturday morning, without a prior appointment, the reporter saunters into Eze Wogu’s palace courts in Umuobutu village in Old Umuahia. A casually attired palace aide takes the reporter’s card to the ruler, and Eze Wogu promptly invites the journalist into the king’s waiting room. Moments later, the royal father saunters slowly into the room and invites the reporter over. A little plate containing kola nuts, bitter kola and garden eggs materializes, and the Eze offers some prayers to God and the ancestors. And as the mouths munch the nuts, the king unburdens his mind to his impromptu, much younger guest.

According to the Eze, he has had no access to his jetty, warehouses and the other items of property he left in Oron, while fleeing from the war. Similar stories are told daily by many other Igbo men and women whose property, tagged ‘abandoned property’, have since been taken over by the Nigerian state.
And, indeed, in the minds of many people, the continued possession by the Nigerian government of buildings belonging to those on the other side in that war has ensured that the memories of the 30-month war perpetually linger like the pains of an open, festering sore.

The king speaks slowly, softly; but his words flow forth with power and passion. “I was in Umuahia during the civil war. Before the war, I was at Oron in Cross River. Then, one morning, there were booms of gun and a clatter of shots and everybody ran away. It is generally taken that the war is over; no victor no vanquished. But those of us who left our property and ran for our lives have since been denied of such property. That is why, this question of abandoned property, I will appeal to Mr. President to review it.”

“The Nigerian government took over the property. They were regarded as abandoned property, so when the war ended, people found it difficult to repossess their property. The current Senate President, David Mark, was, I think, the officer in charge of resettlement of war victims. And the abandoned property, most of us lost many things. You know when the Igbo man goes out, he builds there. Even if he has no house at home, he wants to settle down where he is, do his business and make money. Most of us, the investments we made, it’s like they all went down the drain.”

But the Eze is very pleased with the Federal Government’s amnesty for the militants in the Niger-Delta region. In his words, that initiative has drastically reduced the tension in the entire country. But he wants the amnesty expanded beyond the South-South.

“Some of us feel that the amnesty should be extended,” the Eze says. “We want the government to extend the amnesty to those of us whose houses, land and other items were seized during the civil war. That incident of abandoned property is a scar of the civil war which has not healed and disappeared. It is one of those things people look at when they are talking of marginalisation. That is why you still find some people talking of Movement for Biafra, saying they want Biafra again. So, I think Mr. President should, in the same spirit that the militants got the amnesty and they are now referred to as freedom fighters, in the same spirit, he should order that the abandoned property be returned to their owners in whatever state they are now. If our buildings are returned, it will go a long way in assuaging the victims of the war.”

Eze Wogu recalls that the issue of abandoned property has been raised several times in the past with no tangible result. “I know that the late Sam Mbakwe pleaded with the government, but nothing came out of it, “he says.

“I worked with a firm, GBO, for 17 years as an area supervisor in charge of Oron, Eket and a few other places. During the indigenisation, when the UAC was leaving, they handed over their buildings and the remnants of their tenancy to a family in Calabar with whom I was very friendly. And the family sold the place to me. But the Oron people said no, I should recognise them as the land owners. Eventually, I recognised them and continued to do my business there. But we had to leave at the beginning of the war.”
Eze Wogu mounted the throne of his fathers in 1976. Since then, he has ruled as the paramount traditional ruler of Umuahia, including Ibeku, Umuokpara, Olokoro, Ubakala and other communities in the Abia State capital.

The Nigerian government may be holding on to his buildings in Oron, but Eze Wogu’s mind harbours no bitterness against Nigeria’s rulers. Contrary to the thinking of a vast majority of Nigerians, the king believes President Yar’Adua isn’t doing too badly. In fact, the Eze-Ohanyerugo insists that the president is steadily tackling Nigeria’s problems.

“I like the president,” he asserts. “He seems very sincere. I’m very happy with this amnesty for the Niger Delta militants. But we are appealing to him to also look into this issue of abandoned property.”
Re: The Issue Of Abandoned Properties Is Not Yet Settled by udezue(m): 3:01am On Dec 27, 2010
Lazy treacherous set of people. I swear sometimes umuIgbo need to copy the Hausa-Fulani of Jos and deal with these miscreants. How do you move into another man's property and call it yours? Cheiiii I hate the fact that we are way too gentle with these people and they still have the nerve to call us names.
Re: The Issue Of Abandoned Properties Is Not Yet Settled by Rhino5dm: 4:33am On Dec 27, 2010
Nna i tire for those people o.

In portharcourt. All the ibos properties in mile 1, mile 2, mile 3, lagoa, town. . . . . . . And so many aother places is been occupied by this lazy set of people. In the name of "abandoned properties"

>>>An ibo spend's  most of his life and savings, confort and enjoyment. I.e sleeping in his shop, taking garri and groundnut as a staple food. Compromising his children's education. To acquire land under one of the most stringent condition ever known to man, all of a sudden only to called it abandone properties. Wicked people.

>>> i remeber then in porthacourt, when i was about to rent an apartment my landlord was very clear to tell me that

" i dont want an ibo man in my house"

after prompting for a reason for making such statement he said

"they always want to buy off everything"

further he said

"   in my comminuity we dont sell land to ibos"

but ironically i later found out that the ibos owns more than 70% of portharcourt.

The popular notion then before i left PHC is that they are waiting for another abandoned properties to happen, can you beleive this!

>>> give the locals slots for work in companies the CLO of that comminuity will sell it out and buy new jeep, marry a new wife.

>>> i have never seen lazy people like this set of people. Drink and chop, carry woman to hotel, buy a new jeep, run gerator 24/7. Shikenan!

>>> my ibo freind used to tell that this time around no ibo man is going to abandone his property, instead there will be

"Abandone comminuity"

very sympathetic indeed!
Re: The Issue Of Abandoned Properties Is Not Yet Settled by Dede1(m): 2:40pm On Dec 27, 2010
naijaking1:

I was shocked to read this news item today, because I thought we have moved past this issue in our nation's history.http://www.nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html

[size=18pt]A monarch’s heartache
, God, when will govt return my properties?[/size]
By TOPE ADEBOBOYE
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
• HRM Eze Wogu
Photo: THE SUN PUBLISHING

He lives in a magnificent palace, dons colourful traditional attires and presides over the affairs of his people in the Abia State capital. He’s blessed with children and grandchildren, all of who are doing quite well in their respective professions. Add that to the good health he enjoys even at the grand age of 82, and you’ll think His Royal Majesty, Eze (Sir) Mac U. Wogu, lives his days in utter fulfilment, with absolutely no worries troubling his octogenarian mind.
But you would be wrong.

In spite of his privileged position and pedigree, the Eze-Ohanyerugo and paramount traditional ruler of Umuahia has a big ache assailing his heart. Each day, a question traumatizes his soul, yet he can’t come up with an answer. The respected monarch is saddened that almost four decades after the conclusion of the Nigeria/Biafra war, items of his property seized by the Nigerian government are yet to be returned.
The monarch isn’t the only one enduring this pathetic fate. Many others have silently borne their pains since they were deprived of their land, homes, offices and other items of property after the civil war.

This Saturday morning, without a prior appointment, the reporter saunters into Eze Wogu’s palace courts in Umuobutu village in Old Umuahia. A casually attired palace aide takes the reporter’s card to the ruler, and Eze Wogu promptly invites the journalist into the king’s waiting room. Moments later, the royal father saunters slowly into the room and invites the reporter over. A little plate containing kola nuts, bitter kola and garden eggs materializes, and the Eze offers some prayers to God and the ancestors. And as the mouths munch the nuts, the king unburdens his mind to his impromptu, much younger guest.

According to the Eze, he has had no access to his jetty, warehouses and the other items of property he left in Oron, while fleeing from the war. Similar stories are told daily by many other Igbo men and women whose property, tagged ‘abandoned property’, have since been taken over by the Nigerian state.
And, indeed, in the minds of many people, the continued possession by the Nigerian government of buildings belonging to those on the other side in that war has ensured that the memories of the 30-month war perpetually linger like the pains of an open, festering sore.

The king speaks slowly, softly; but his words flow forth with power and passion. “I was in Umuahia during the civil war. Before the war, I was at Oron in Cross River. Then, one morning, there were booms of gun and a clatter of shots and everybody ran away. It is generally taken that the war is over; no victor no vanquished. But those of us who left our property and ran for our lives have since been denied of such property. That is why, this question of abandoned property, I will appeal to Mr. President to review it.”

“The Nigerian government took over the property. They were regarded as abandoned property, so when the war ended, people found it difficult to repossess their property. The current Senate President, David Mark, was, I think, the officer in charge of resettlement of war victims. And the abandoned property, most of us lost many things. You know when the Igbo man goes out, he builds there. Even if he has no house at home, he wants to settle down where he is, do his business and make money. Most of us, the investments we made, it’s like they all went down the drain.”

But the Eze is very pleased with the Federal Government’s amnesty for the militants in the Niger-Delta region. In his words, that initiative has drastically reduced the tension in the entire country. But he wants the amnesty expanded beyond the South-South.

“Some of us feel that the amnesty should be extended,” the Eze says. “We want the government to extend the amnesty to those of us whose houses, land and other items were seized during the civil war. That incident of abandoned property is a scar of the civil war which has not healed and disappeared. It is one of those things people look at when they are talking of marginalisation. That is why you still find some people talking of Movement for Biafra, saying they want Biafra again. So, I think Mr. President should, in the same spirit that the militants got the amnesty and they are now referred to as freedom fighters, in the same spirit, he should order that the abandoned property be returned to their owners in whatever state they are now. If our buildings are returned, it will go a long way in assuaging the victims of the war.”

Eze Wogu recalls that the issue of abandoned property has been raised several times in the past with no tangible result. “I know that the late Sam Mbakwe pleaded with the government, but nothing came out of it, “he says.

“I worked with a firm, GBO, for 17 years as an area supervisor in charge of Oron, Eket and a few other places. During the indigenisation, when the UAC was leaving, they handed over their buildings and the remnants of their tenancy to a family in Calabar with whom I was very friendly. And the family sold the place to me. But the Oron people said no, I should recognise them as the land owners. Eventually, I recognised them and continued to do my business there. But we had to leave at the beginning of the war.”
Eze Wogu mounted the throne of his fathers in 1976. Since then, he has ruled as the paramount traditional ruler of Umuahia, including Ibeku, Umuokpara, Olokoro, Ubakala and other communities in the Abia State capital.

The Nigerian government may be holding on to his buildings in Oron, but Eze Wogu’s mind harbours no bitterness against Nigeria’s rulers. Contrary to the thinking of a vast majority of Nigerians, the king believes President Yar’Adua isn’t doing too badly. In fact, the Eze-Ohanyerugo insists that the president is steadily tackling Nigeria’s problems.

“I like the president,” he asserts. “He seems very sincere. I’m very happy with this amnesty for the Niger Delta militants. But we are appealing to him to also look into this issue of abandoned property.”

I am disappointed that this stream of thought (bolded in red) emanates from you. Most people who knew about the fake structure of “One-Nigeria” have never wavered in their resolves to see real nations states grow out of the rubbles of disintegrated colonial contraption called Nigeria. As long as “abandon property” remains a physical pointer to the outcome of Nigeria/Biafra war, I say the civil war is not over by any stretch of imagination.
Re: The Issue Of Abandoned Properties Is Not Yet Settled by ekubear1: 2:54pm On Dec 27, 2010
Absolutely indefensible. How on earth does property become "abandoned" in only a 2 year period? Was there no documentation of who owned it? I still do not understand under what pretext the federal government justified taking away property, assuming the ownership of it was documented.
Re: The Issue Of Abandoned Properties Is Not Yet Settled by Onlytruth(m): 8:42pm On Dec 27, 2010
Guys, this news is old news -2009! Why are we discussing it now?
Though the issue (abandoned property) remains, I really don't think that now is the time to handle it. If we must handle it now, lets take it to GEJ as one of our requests from him.
The Federal Govt can solve this problem today because there is money to pay the original property owners.

Having said this, I will like to remind my Igbo brothers about facts of life.

If you must buy land outside Igboland, be sure that you will NOT leave it to ANYONE under ANY circumstance.
If you cannot make that judgment, then, DON'T BUY. This history is powerful enough.

A word is enough for the wise.
Re: The Issue Of Abandoned Properties Is Not Yet Settled by BigPhil(m): 9:01pm On Dec 27, 2010
Onlytruth:

Guys, this news is old news -2009! Why are we discussing it now?
Though the issue (abandoned property) remains, I really don't think that now is the time to handle it. If we must handle it now, lets take it to GEJ as one of our requests from him.
The Federal Govt can solve this problem today because there is money to pay the original property owners.

Having said this, I will like to remind my Igbo brothers about facts of life.

If you must buy land outside Igboland, be sure that you will NOT leave it to ANYONE under ANY circumstance.
If you cannot make that judgment, then, DON'T BUY. This history is powerful enough.

A word is enough for the wise.

What a travesty.My brothers,please take this priceless advice to heart. Believe me some people are fasting and praying hard for it to happen again.
Re: The Issue Of Abandoned Properties Is Not Yet Settled by OchiAgha2(m): 9:05pm On Dec 27, 2010
My paramount chief has spoken. To lose ones property over 40 years ago and it is still impacting him really hurts me to the core. This shows the importance of land in Igbo society. To have it stolen from you is the ultimate insult.
Re: The Issue Of Abandoned Properties Is Not Yet Settled by udezue(m): 9:10pm On Dec 27, 2010
My brother in-law was just telling me how they lost their properties in PH and how many Igbo men / women were killed trying to reclaim their properties. These attacks and killings by useless natives of PH were sanctioned by the government. Even non-natives like Saro Wiwa got a good share of the loot. This issue if not resolved will forever cause disharmony among our people. i don't blame Igbo ppl who have disdain for anything PH or even Rivers state.
Re: The Issue Of Abandoned Properties Is Not Yet Settled by Onlytruth(m): 9:24pm On Dec 27, 2010
udezue:

My brother in-law was just telling me how they lost their properties in PH and how many Igbo men / women were killed trying to reclaim their properties. These attacks and killings by useless natives of PH were sanctioned by the government. Even non-natives like Saro Wiwa got a good share of the loot. This issue if not resolved will forever cause disharmony among our people. i don't blame Igbo ppl who have disdain for anything PH or even Rivers state.

Port Harcourt is to Igbo what Kaduna is to Hausa/Fulani. Imagine northern minorities like Kataff stealing Hausa properties in Kaduna! undecided shocked shocked Will that ever happen?  NO!

Frankly sometimes I wonder how my Igbo brothers think. I wonder aloud! shocked shocked sad

If I owned a property in far away Lagos, I WOULD NOT abandon it to the Yoruba. EVER.
Which is perhaps part of why I have not bought a property there, YET. Talk less of PH.

These things are very simple to understand.

I remember Ojukwu's speech in Kano after one of those Kano riots. He spoke in Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa, and his message was the same: YOU ARE NIGERIANS IN NIGERIA. NEVER ABANDON YOUR PROPERTY TO ANYONE.

If you buy a property among hostile groups, sanity demands that you should have taken steps to secure your self and family. I won't say more than that here.

PH is piece of cake in my view because it is an Igbo city historically, and Igbo already own the city and exist there in big numbers.

Nairaland is not even the place to discuss this.  undecided undecided undecided
Re: The Issue Of Abandoned Properties Is Not Yet Settled by udezue(m): 9:34pm On Dec 27, 2010
Sometimes you have to show the ugly side of you for people to appreciate the good side of you. Umu Igbo take note.
Re: The Issue Of Abandoned Properties Is Not Yet Settled by OchiAgha2(m): 9:36pm On Dec 27, 2010
udezue:

Sometimes you have to show the ugly side of you for people to appreciate the good side of you. Umu Igbo take note.

We are not a barbaric people though. undecided
Re: The Issue Of Abandoned Properties Is Not Yet Settled by udezue(m): 9:41pm On Dec 27, 2010
This is not about barbarism. If you snatch my property away from me then have the guts to chase me with cutlass when I come to reclaim it best believe I will return with mortar and blow you and the house to pieces then no one will be able to live in it.

Ndi-Igbo should not have to beg lazy bums in PH to vacate their property. If u no buy am it aint yours so stay at your own risk.
Re: The Issue Of Abandoned Properties Is Not Yet Settled by nduchucks: 11:17pm On Dec 27, 2010
Has any of your Reps or Senators, introduced legislation calling for the resolution of this issue? Has any of the Ndiigbo sons who are SANs brought forth any lawsuits to address these issues? If not, I'm afraid that you people have not yet exhausted the fight for your properties.

Self pity will get you nowhere, get off your b.utts and go to court, hold your reps accountable!
Re: The Issue Of Abandoned Properties Is Not Yet Settled by dempeople(m): 11:22pm On Dec 27, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

We are not a barbaric people though.  undecided

That wasn't what he meant though.

I hope that Ohanaeze/SE governors, as part of their conditional support for GEJ, might have chipped-in the issue of abandoned properties amongst the list of problems affecting the South East such as lack of FG presence, dilapidated roads, 2nd Niger bridge etc. One thing is certain, the unity of Ndigbo (under Ohanaeze and SE governors) is stronger now than ever and, reminiscent of how it was before the war. With this new attitude of speaking collectively, pressurising the FG could only yield better results in less time than it was before.
Re: The Issue Of Abandoned Properties Is Not Yet Settled by AndreUweh(m): 12:34am On Dec 28, 2010
dem_people:

That wasn't what he meant though.

I hope that Ohanaeze/SE governors, as part of their conditional support for GEJ, might have chipped-in the issue of abandoned properties amongst the list of problems affecting the South East such as lack of FG presence, dilapidated roads, 2nd Niger bridge etc. One thing is certain, the unity of Ndigbo (under Ohanaeze and SE governors) is stronger now than ever and, reminiscent of how it was before the war. With this new attitude of speaking collectively, pressurising the FG could only yield better results in less time than it was before.
Well said.
Re: The Issue Of Abandoned Properties Is Not Yet Settled by oyatz(m): 7:10pm On Jan 17, 2017
Rhino5dm:
Nna i tire for those people o.

In portharcourt. All the ibos properties in mile 1, mile 2, mile 3, lagoa, town. . . . . . . And so many aother places is been occupied by this lazy set of people. In the name of "abandoned properties"

>>>An ibo spend's  most of his life and savings, confort and enjoyment. I.e sleeping in his shop, taking garri and groundnut as a staple food. Compromising his children's education. To acquire land under one of the most stringent condition ever known to man, all of a sudden only to called it abandone properties. Wicked people.

>>> i remeber then in porthacourt, when i was about to rent an apartment my landlord was very clear to tell me that

" i dont want an ibo man in my house"

after prompting for a reason for making such statement he said

"they always want to buy off everything"

further he said

"   in my comminuity we dont sell land to ibos"

but ironically i later found out that the ibos owns more than 70% of portharcourt.

The popular notion then before i left PHC is that they are waiting for another abandoned properties to happen, can you beleive this!

>>> give the locals slots for work in companies the CLO of that comminuity will sell it out and buy new jeep, marry a new wife.

>>> i have never seen lazy people like this set of people. Drink and chop, carry woman to hotel, buy a new jeep, run gerator 24/7. Shikenan!

>>> my ibo freind used to tell that this time around no ibo man is going to abandone his property, instead there will be

"Abandone comminuity"

very sympathetic indeed! 
Re: The Issue Of Abandoned Properties Is Not Yet Settled by oyatz(m): 7:17pm On Jan 17, 2017
Since 'Igbos own and developed P/Harcourt, how come they still haven't abandoned properties there,which they are still struggling to reclaim decades after the war?
Can you have abandoned Ijaw properties in Yenegoa or abandoned Igbo properties in Owerri?
his[quote his=Onlytruth post=7417943]

Port Harcourt is to Igbo what Kaduna is to Hausa/Fulani. Imagine northern minorities like Kataff stealing Hausa properties in Kaduna! undecided shocked shocked Will that ever happen?  NO!

Frankly sometimes I wonder how my Igbo brothers think. I wonder aloud! shocked shocked sad

If I owned a property in far away Lagos, I WOULD NOT abandon it to the Yoruba. EVER.
Which is perhaps part of why I have not bought a property there, YET. Talk less of PH.

These things are very simple to understand.

I remember Ojukwu's speech in Kano after one of those Kano riots. He spoke in Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa, and his message was the same: YOU ARE NIGERIANS IN NIGERIA. NEVER ABANDON YOUR PROPERTY TO ANYONE.

If you buy a property among hostile groups, sanity demands that you should have taken steps to secure your self and family. I won't say more than that here.

PH is piece of cake in my view because it is an Igbo city historically, and Igbo already own the city and exist there in big numbers.

Nairaland is not even the place to discuss this.  undecided undecided undecided[/quote]
Re: The Issue Of Abandoned Properties Is Not Yet Settled by lawani: 4:43pm On Jul 05, 2023
This issue is the biggest issue militating against the actualization of Biafra. I have often wondered how it can even be possible and why the owners of those properties can not reclaim them in court because even in the North and west, Igbos got back their properties. The issue must be resolved. Any land appropriately sold should be returned to the buyer or the buyer paid back the value of his estate. I think some of the lands in question were not bought from natives because if they were, then the community will not allow the property to be declared abandoned. Any Igbo man that bought property should take the person they bought from to court but if it was the Eastern state government that allocated it, then they should find other ways to amicably settle the matter. In Ilesa, if Ibadan people allocate land to themselves illegally, then Ijesas will seize those lands back at the first opportunity. I guess that is the kind of thing that happened but it should be settled amicably and I believe SE Igbos own post war properties in those lands that nobody is contesting with them but the ones in contention should be settled amicably so that the whole country can close that chapter.

(1) (Reply)

New Lawmakers To Receive One Billion Naira For Accommodation / Nnamdi Kanu Takes Selfie As He Arrives Court PHOTOS / ESN Members Use Nigerian Policemen Head For Barbecue (very Graphic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.