Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,008 members, 7,806,926 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:08 AM

Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill (20143 Views)

Amir, Sultan Of Sokoto’s Son Had Accident After ‘Getting High On Codeine’ / Fatima Abubakar, Sultan's Daughter Graduates From U.K University / Nigeria's Sultan Of Sokoto Rejects Gender Equality Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by moohammad: 7:51am On Dec 28, 2016
[quote author=OZAOEKPE post=52311841]Sorry to say this, the sultan is more of an ani mal to me OZAOEKPE no the words ur spilling out idiot
Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by udumosam23(m): 7:51am On Dec 28, 2016
I may not agree any less with the sultan. In as much as I like the bill, and have been supporting it from unset.

Just last week we were discussing a topic that relates to rights of widows in my church at Ebonyi. I was so surprised how people held tenaciously to custom especially were bible is silent.

Believe me, various ethnic custom speaks more powerfully against this bill than religion. Its quite sad that women are this relegated in Africa and Nigeria in particular. Even if this bill is passed it will take time for us to actually accept it.

Imagine for instance, a wealthy ibo man dies leaving his wife with let's say a girl kid. The woman has right to keep some if not all his properties and if she likes she should also get married to another man while living in the home of her previous husband.

I swear it this will not work lai lai.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by free2ryhme: 7:52am On Dec 28, 2016
What do u expect from a religious head who support paedophile

2 Likes

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by hotspec(m): 7:52am On Dec 28, 2016
May God continue to punish Lord Lugard and every other one that sketched the map of Nigeria and put us on d same space with this backward people. Religion of piss

4 Likes

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Sealeddeal(m): 7:52am On Dec 28, 2016
Princess4ng:
Not only in Islam... Even culturally, u cant say a woman and man are equal... Even Bible said that man is d head meaning man is superior.. In some culture sef.. Women worst their husbands like gods... Am a woman, I know we should be allowed and given some right but total equality is not advisable.... E go too climb our head sef
Your opinion is denigrating to humanity. All Man are Equal.

7 Likes

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Mujaheeeden: 7:53am On Dec 28, 2016
Justdulla:

You are one of the saddening problems of Nigerian youths. The problem is that you people don't read and arent informed. Islam already has laws on what the legislature is aiming to implement, so why should they subject muslims to a new one??
They have been living with it for many years and there has never been problem of Inheritance et al In muslim domains because there is already a stipulated sharing formula.
I made use of google. Next time make use of google as well before posting thrash. It will be beneficial for common sense and humanity
As for Islam

3 Likes

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Bgorgeous: 7:53am On Dec 28, 2016
Why not, so you keep oppressing woman under the guise of religion.

5 Likes

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Princess4ng(f): 7:54am On Dec 28, 2016
Sealeddeal:
Your opinion is denigrating to humanity. All Man are Equal.

Sorry ooo bros... Do u know what equality means? Its ur opinion. I respect it... Weldone

1 Like

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by juman(m): 7:54am On Dec 28, 2016
Princess4ng:
Not only in Islam... Even culturally, u cant say a woman and man are equal... Even Bible said that man is d head meaning man is superior.. In some culture sef.. Women worst their husbands like gods... Am a woman, I know we should be allowed and given some right but total equality is not advisable.... E go too climb our head sef

Yeah.

Even mostly in african culture woman is not equal to man.

Man is the boss.
Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by darediamond(m): 7:54am On Dec 28, 2016
carmag:

..it's sad that I share thesame country with these people...very very sad
Seriously that is the painful feeling I am having too.

God bless Odua Repubic.
Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Nobody: 7:55am On Dec 28, 2016
FriendChoice:
In Islam

For example, if a man dies and after giving the shares of other relatives, if the children (i.e one son and one daughter) inherit N150,0000the son will
inherit One Hundred Thousand Naira and the
daughter only Fifty Thousand Naira.

Out of the one hundred thousand which the son inherits, as his duty towards his family, he may have to spend on them almost the entire amount or say about eighty thousand and thus he has a small percentage of inheritance, say about twenty thousand, left for himself.

On the other hand, the daughter, who inherits fifty thousand, is not bound to spend a single penny on anybody. She can keep the entire amount for herself. Would you prefer inheriting one hundred thousand Naira and spending eighty thousand from it, or inheriting fifty thousand rupees and having the entire amount to yourself?

All this your long stories only happen in Utopia, please just stop it.

Are you even living in this Nigeria? Where men call women without jobs liabilities or start cheating on their wives or maltreating her because she doesn't have financial power or a job?

70% of Men these days don't think it is their responsibility to take care of their wives, they expect her to get a job and handle her business herself so just stop the ridiculous justification for treating women like subhumans.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Princess4ng(f): 7:55am On Dec 28, 2016
juman:

Yeah.

Even mostly in african culture woman is not equal to man.

Man is the boss.

God bless u my brother.. But come ooo.. Make ur head no too big ooo grin grin tongue

3 Likes

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by eolafao: 7:57am On Dec 28, 2016
carmag:

..it's sad that I share thesame country with these people...very very sad

It will not be well lord Lugard that amalgamate the northerners with us.. .
Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Sealeddeal(m): 7:57am On Dec 28, 2016
Justdulla:

Dont try to change the topic of discussion here. Am not a religious fundamentalist or fanatic. But truth must be said when its obvious. Nigerias system of government was bequeathed upon us by the Almighty supreme british who brought about missionary expedition to conquer our nation. They tried to bridge our divide with the almagamation of 1914,but they forgot that the left a nation with 2 distinct religions and varied cultural practices. Look at the banking/financial system, the educational system, the public service system, et al. The were all considered for a secular society. but lets face the fact, Naija ain't like that. until this fundamental problem is addressed, everyone will keep fighting for his religious cum tribal interest till the world will come to an end. Let lawmakers always consider our ways of life and religion when making laws. Enough of copying british or American laws, cos we are different people in different climes.
Religion should have no place in the National Assembly. If Senate acceed to the threat and opinion of this Sultan Religious gaffe, then Nigeria is as good as gone.
In fact,it will be more sensible if Senate will make a standing order that will banish religious opinion in the Senate

6 Likes

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Nobody: 7:58am On Dec 28, 2016
@Justdulla

So w should instead, copy Arabian cultures in 2016? Is that the best bet?
U make it seem as if Islam is the way of life for every Nigerian.
You make seem as if Africans ab initio were Muslims...
Let me remind you that its a Way of life brought upon from the Arabian Desert.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by goingape1: 7:59am On Dec 28, 2016
I agree with him on this one!
women are lower than men and why will them seek equality undecided
a pig can't have equal right with human.
Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by dragnet: 7:59am On Dec 28, 2016
The media is being biased in reporting this issue.
The said bill goes beyond mere issues of inheritance, but most people here are too ignorant and bigotry won't allow them investigate what the bill entails, the bill rubbishes the existence of the Quran as well as the Bible, because they both don't preach gender equality and according to the bill, anything or establishment that doesn't support such should be abolished and anybody trying to preach from such books can be arrested. even CAN doesn't support the bill.
The bill is on the web just Google it and read !

3 Likes

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by calyfa01(m): 7:59am On Dec 28, 2016
OZAOEKPE:
Sorry to say this, the sultan is more of an ani mal to me lipsrsealed
yeah, but for me the kinda animal wey be the person that offers her thighs to monsters that produce you. Idiot
Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Exponental(m): 7:59am On Dec 28, 2016
Nothing like gender equality. Fight for rights of a female to equal opportunities with a male in education & politics (some justified areas can be included too)....
Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by martineverest(m): 8:00am On Dec 28, 2016
i am waiting for hypocritical nigerians to criticise sultan,especially when they and their culture wont even accept gender equality
Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Sealeddeal(m): 8:00am On Dec 28, 2016
Princess4ng:

Sorry ooo bros... Do u know what equality means? Its ur opinion. I respect it... Weldone
Equality in opportunity, in everything.

1 Like

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by bakry86: 8:00am On Dec 28, 2016
kk
Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by darediamond(m): 8:00am On Dec 28, 2016
Justdulla:

You are one of the saddening problems of Nigerian youths. The problem is that you people don't read and arent informed. Islam already has laws on what the legislature is aiming to implement, so why should they subject muslims to a new one??
They have been living with it for many years and there has never been problem of Inheritance et al In muslim domains because there is already a stipulated sharing formula.
I made use of google. Next time make use of google as well before posting thrash. It will be beneficial for common sense and humanity
Are not members of the senates Muslims too? So why should the preference of one region be allowed to overshadow another's because of private matter?
Wisdom is calling here friend. **Keep Allah to yourself because that god is not the only one Nigerians are worshipping**
The Watchword: is TOLERANCE

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by dyabman(m): 8:02am On Dec 28, 2016
FriendChoice:
In Islam a woman has no financial obligation and the economical responsibility lies on the shoulders of the man.

* Before a woman is married it is the duty of the father or brother to look after the lodging, boarding, clothing and other financial requirements of the woman.

* After she is married it is the duty of the husband or the son.

* Islam holds the man financially responsible for fulfilling the needs of his family. In order to do be able to fulfill the responsibility the men get double the share of the inheritance.

For example, if a man dies and after giving the shares of other relatives, if the children (i.e one son and one daughter) inherit N150,0000the son will

Out of the one hundred thousand which the son inherits, as his duty towards his family, he may have to spend on them almost the entire amount or say about eighty thousand and thus he has a small percentage of inheritance, say about twenty thousand, left for himself.

On the other hand, the daughter, who inherits fifty thousand, is not bound to spend a single penny on anybody. She can keep the entire amount for herself. Would you prefer inheriting one hundred thousand Naira and spending eighty thousand from it, or inheriting fifty thousand rupees and having the entire amount to yourself?

Islam gave the right to the women to inherit. In several Verses of theQur’an - in several verses, it is mentioned that a woman, irrespective she is a wife or she is a mother, or a sister, or a daughter, she has a right to inherit. And it has been fixed by God Almighty in the Qur’an.

Who cares about your Islam or Queue-ram , We are trying to be more civilized here and moving humanity forward and you trying to drag us down because of your filthy religion ? angry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by darediamond(m): 8:03am On Dec 28, 2016
FriendChoice:
In Islam a woman has no financial obligation and the economical responsibility lies on the shoulders of the man.

* Before a woman is married it is the duty of the father or brother to look after the lodging, boarding, clothing and other financial requirements of the woman.

* After she is married it is the duty of the husband or the son.

* Islam holds the man financially responsible for fulfilling the needs of his family. In order to do be able to fulfill the responsibility the men get double the share of the inheritance.

Islam gave the right to the women to inherit. In several Verses of theQur’an - in several verses, it is mentioned that a woman, irrespective she is a wife or she is a mother, or a sister, or a daughter, she has a right to inherit. And it has been fixed by God Almighty in the Qur’an.

So must non-muslims now live by your alllah rules by force or what?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Sealeddeal(m): 8:03am On Dec 28, 2016
martineverest:
i am waiting for hypocritical nigerians to criticise sultan,especially when they and their culture wont even accept gender equality
The reason why Senate want to uphold a law that will recognize the equality of Man is because Africa society and religion do not accept it. So it's a disappointment that Sultan will wish to keep women where they do not wish to be in the name of Islam and later he will claim that there is no compulsion in Islam. Freedom and equal treatment should be extended to all human being alike

3 Likes

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by juman(m): 8:03am On Dec 28, 2016
Princess4ng:

God bless u my brother.. But come ooo.. Make ur head no too big ooo grin grin tongue

That does not stop a woman from even becoming a president of nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Renaissance2017: 8:03am On Dec 28, 2016
Justdulla:

Existing Islamic laws that subject women to slavery? Existing Islamic laws that place women at disadvantage? Existing Islamic laws that favour only the male counterparts? Existing Islamic laws that do not allow women to enjoy their human right?
Do you know that laws are renewed and changed to emancipate people from slavery and oppression? Do you know that our Constitution should not be guided by your so called existing Islamic laws because Nigeria is a secular state? Please think about it again.
Good morning.

6 Likes

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Lumig: 8:03am On Dec 28, 2016
Whether the bill is passed or not, the implementation of such a controversial bill in our society /family would not see the light of the day. Because our respective cultures /traditions [no matter how different] would be a greater huddle even than religion
Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Ramanto(m): 8:04am On Dec 28, 2016
FuckyourMama:
The sultan of paedophiles will never accept diz jst like his kano state counterpart. They don't want any bill dat will reduce or terminate dia females frm being disvirgined frm childhood or being used 2 explode bombs. Watch d bill die an untimely death.
your post is not connected. try again when you have a more advanced brain. say, 2025.

1 Like

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Princess4ng(f): 8:04am On Dec 28, 2016
Sealeddeal:
Equality in opportunity, in everything.

Is alright... No vex abeg... Na the school wey I go... The teacher no sabi teach... Lol... cool

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Photos From Adeleke University Convocation As King Of Ede Bags Doctorate Degree / Oba Adekunle Baderin Of Ipetu-ijesha Is Dead / Abdul-Rasheed Adewale Akanbi 50th Birthday Celebration: Dignitaries Storm Event

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.