Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,203 members, 7,780,358 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:58 PM

Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill (20079 Views)

Amir, Sultan Of Sokoto’s Son Had Accident After ‘Getting High On Codeine’ / Fatima Abubakar, Sultan's Daughter Graduates From U.K University / Nigeria's Sultan Of Sokoto Rejects Gender Equality Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by prof12(m): 11:05am On Dec 28, 2016
IdisuleOurOwn:

Sultan, with this statement of yours, isn't better the country is split for everyone to go their separate way so as to practice their religion and culture without hindrance?

Sultan's statement aside. Whether you are a Muslim, Christian or even a traditionalist,the doctrines of all spelt out clearly that women cannot be equal to men in whatsoever circumstances you might think of.
So,forget about the European and American play to the gallery. l can bet that there is no gender equality in America and most of Europe.
Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by brownhawk: 11:10am On Dec 28, 2016
Princess4ng:
Not only in Islam... Even culturally, u cant say a woman and man are equal... Even Bible said that man is d head meaning man is superior.. In some culture sef.. Women worst their husbands like gods... Am a woman, I know we should be allowed and given some right but total equality is not advisable.... E go too climb our head sef
too impressive so u are probably male not female
Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Jtmanager(m): 11:11am On Dec 28, 2016
Princess4ng:

Is alright... No vex abeg... Na the school wey I go... The teacher no sabi teach... Lol... cool

And to think u would be championing for this bill

All these ur folly talks de irk me

SMH
Proper upbringing and enlightenment is missing in ur life
Chai get out of here
Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Jokerman(m): 11:11am On Dec 28, 2016
mmb:
may God guide you and show you the light, accept Islam as a religion

Nigeria is bigger than Islam.... Nigeria first...

3 Likes

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Adagba01: 11:14am On Dec 28, 2016
The problems here is that our legislators are dullards and jobless people. They wast time on immaterial items. Not even in the western countries you can find obnoxious laws of this nature. The WILL of the deceased supercedes any other laws in matters of inheritance. Muslims are not against the WILL, neither Islam, hence the Sultan didn't speaks against it. But, any other law in tandem with some peoples wishes, because of what their WOMEN suffer, cannot be imposed on other Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by omonnakoda: 11:27am On Dec 28, 2016
Adagba01:
The problems here is that our legislators are dullards and jobless people. They wast time on immaterial items. Not even in the western countries you can find obnoxious laws of this nature. The WILL of the deceased supercedes any other laws in matters of inheritance. Muslims are not against the WILL, neither Islam, hence the Sultan didn't speaks against it. But, any other law in tandem with some peoples wishes, because of what their WOMEN suffer, cannot be imposed on other Nigerians.
The Supreme court has already ruled on a similar matter.
I.e the inheritance rights of women under traditional law in Igboland

Supreme Court Decision

As did both the Lagos High Court and the Court of Appeal, the Supreme Court found that the Igbo inheritance rules that exclude women from inheritance violate the country’s 1999 Constitution, confirming the decisions of the Lagos High Court and the Court of Appeal. Justice Bode Rhodes-Vivour, one of the five justices who heard the case, delivered the Court’s opinion in which he stated that

no matter the circumstances of the birth of a female child, such a child is entitled to an inheritance from her later father’s estate. Consequently, the Igbo Customary Law, which disentitles a female child from partaking in the sharing of her deceased father’s estate is in breach of Section 42(1) and (2) of the Constitution, a fundamental rights provision guaranteed to every Nigerian. (Ughegbe, supra.)

2 Likes

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Maeka(m): 11:32am On Dec 28, 2016
YOUR RELIGION PERMITTED YOU TO MARRY AN UNDER AGE GIRL ABI. EVIL MAN

1 Like

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by GabdelandAgro(m): 12:20pm On Dec 28, 2016
Buyeradvertcom:

Sa’ad Abubakar lll, the sultan of Sokoto, has asked the upper chamber of the national assembly to reject the bill seeking equality for male and female children in the sharing of inherited family wealth or property.

The bill also proposes that a widow should be entitled to the custody of her children unless it is contrary to the interests and welfare of the children.

It also says a widow should have the right to remarry any man of her choice and should have the right to a fair share in the inheritance of her late husband’s property, and the right to live in her matrimonial home.

But speaking at the closing ceremony of the 20th Zamfara State Annual Qur’anic Recitation Competition, Abubakar said the bill was against Islamic religion and, therefore, unacceptable to Muslims.

“Our religion is our total way of life; therefore, we will not accept any move to change what Allah permitted us to do,” he said.

“Islam is a peaceful religion; we have been living peacefully with Christians and followers of other religions in this country. Therefore, we should be allowed to perform our religion effectively.”

The monarch appealed to the red chamber not to consider the bill because of its religious implications.

He also hailed the federal government and Nigerian army for the capture of Sambisa forest from Boko Haram insurgents, describing it as historic.

“We are happy to hear this good news; we are, therefore, calling on the Nigerian army not to relent in its efforts in fighting the activities of Boko Haram,” he said.

He called on Muslims to continue to pray for peaceful coexistence in the country, advising them to cooperate with all the tiers of government to move the country forward.

https://www.thecable.ng/sultan-tells-senate-reject-gender-equality-bill
the sultan is a fool. a big coward. women and young girls must rise up against the sultan.

3 Likes

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Fidelismaria: 12:37pm On Dec 28, 2016
Who gives a hoot bout wat d fuckiiing sultan says

Pass the damn bill into law

Screw islam

Fork mohamed

2 Likes

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Stbottle(m): 12:47pm On Dec 28, 2016
Justdulla:

You are one of the saddening problems of Nigerian youths. The problem is that you people don't read and arent informed. Islam already has laws on what the legislature is aiming to implement, so why should they subject muslims to a new one??
They have been living with it for many years and there has never been problem of Inheritance et al In muslim domains because there is already a stipulated sharing formula.
I made use of google. Next time make use of google as well before posting thrash. It will be beneficial for common sense and humanity

In my long years in life...seeing comments by people like you...i can only say...there is no bright future for this nation...not bcz we dont have bright people...but we have too many backward and selfish people like you....how does islam affect the whole nigeria...nigeria should be a secular state according to the constitution..but no...you bloody extremists always want to have your ways...which leaves me saying..until we actually divide and separate frkm this blood spilling cannibals....we can never make headway in nigeria

4 Likes

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by nonjebose(m): 12:49pm On Dec 28, 2016
otosa:
I think our genesis problem in this country is the borrow religion that will never soft our problem. We need a law that will be generally accepted to everybody. This is not the Jerusalem or Saudi Arabia. This is Nigeria for God sake. Are u expecting people in SS and SE to go and read the Quran just because they want to have their understanding in that? Bible and Quran are for Religion while Constitution is for Nation/Country. if we can not make the law that will be acceptable to all, then we are not mere to life together talkless of have a country called Nigeria.
Best comment so far. The Nigerian state must be guided by the constitution. The bill has so many positives in it. The name given to the bill is what gives many unnecessary concern. The provisions of the bill are in consonance with modernity. Widows' right is very important among others

1 Like

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Nobody: 12:53pm On Dec 28, 2016
olayinka63:

Try to comprehend brother everything cannot go the way you want it. I can recalled that the issue of gender equality was brought up in a convention at the South East of Nigeria around two years ago, then their elders kicked against it immediately. So let us not drive this to religion, the same opinion of Sultan will be heard if you throw the gender equality issue to the south east and South South. Nigerians are not ready to be like Americans in all ramifications.

well said! ! I in particular will kick against gender equality, my emphasis is on how some people always refers to religious doctrines in a circular state with functional constitution

if sharia law is preferred by Muslims Christians should as introduce Christian law and let's kiss the constitution good bye

2 Likes

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by nonjebose(m): 12:57pm On Dec 28, 2016
"It also says a widow should have the right to
remarry any man of her choice and should
have the right to a fair share in the
inheritance of her late husband’s property,
and the right to live in her matrimonial
home"
And what is wrong with this? Why should women become slaves to be handed down? A woman has every right to fair share of his husband's property. As a matter of fact, responsible men take care of their immediate family ( wife and children) in their Will.
Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by dealslip(f): 1:08pm On Dec 28, 2016
FriendChoice:
In Islam a woman has no financial obligation and the economical responsibility lies on the shoulders of the man.

* Before a woman is married it is the duty of the father or brother to look after the lodging, boarding, clothing and other financial requirements of the woman.

* After she is married it is the duty of the husband or the son.

* Islam holds the man financially responsible for fulfilling the needs of his family. In order to do be able to fulfill the responsibility the men get double the share of the inheritance.

For example, if a man dies and after giving the shares of other relatives, if the children (i.e one son and one daughter) inherit N150,0000the son will
inherit One Hundred Thousand Naira and the
daughter only Fifty Thousand Naira.

Out of the one hundred thousand which the son inherits, as his duty towards his family, he may have to spend on them almost the entire amount or say about eighty thousand and thus he has a small percentage of inheritance, say about twenty thousand, left for himself.

On the other hand, the daughter, who inherits fifty thousand, is not bound to spend a single penny on anybody. She can keep the entire amount for herself. Would you prefer inheriting one hundred thousand Naira and spending eighty thousand from it, or inheriting fifty thousand rupees and having the entire amount to yourself?

Islam gave the right to the women to inherit. In several Verses of theQur’an - in several verses, it is mentioned that a woman, irrespective she is a wife or she is a mother, or a sister, or a daughter, she has a right to inherit. And it has been fixed by God Almighty in the Qur’an.

Please we don't care about Islam's inheritance sharing formula. What we care about is country directed by common laws which will be applicable to every citizen. Do you think other religions don't have a sharing formula. Since you guys can't obey the laws if the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Please start canvassing for your own republic were you can even turn your women into donkeys. But holding the whole nation Ransome because of your own believe which others don't share is pure selfishness and wickedness

4 Likes

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Shafiiimran99: 1:11pm On Dec 28, 2016
Woman leaves £1m to pet dog in will, instead of her two sons

Maltese terrier Bella Mia is set to inherit a £1m fortune from her owner Rose Ann Bolasny Photo: Steve Pitre / Barcroft USA
Now, the question is, what have I done wrong if I support Qur'anic law of inheritance since it is allowed by law to give will to animal instead of human being

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by dealslip(f): 1:12pm On Dec 28, 2016
Princess4ng:
Not only in Islam... Even culturally, u cant say a woman and man are equal... Even Bible said that man is d head meaning man is superior.. In some culture sef.. Women worst their husbands like gods... Am a woman, I know we should be allowed and given some right but total equality is not advisable.... E go too climb our head sef

Without any apology, you are a woman with extreme low self esteem. The difference between a man and a woman is physical anatomy and hormones.

3 Likes

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Nobody: 1:20pm On Dec 28, 2016
omonnakoda:

Once again long story can't we simply break up so Muslims have their own country and those who are not interested in what the Quran says have their own?
I wonder o. Muslims always causing trouble everywhere.
Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Nobody: 1:23pm On Dec 28, 2016
Corrinthians:
Yeah. And with the people of South East too.

https://www.nairaland.com/3412294/flashback-enugu-shoa-throws-out

my emphasis is on reference to religious doctrines on a circular state with functional constitution
Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Nobody: 1:31pm On Dec 28, 2016
Adefemiaderoju1:
The best thing that can happen to Nigeria is Northerners to go their separate ways, to form their own country
Mehn....I would love this to happen. If wishes were horses.. *sighs*
Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Nobody: 1:34pm On Dec 28, 2016
olasaad:

Nigerian's laws are synonymous to christian law and what you people don't realize is that the sharia law has been on ground which the North has been practicing before the advent of colonialism and the North as never stop using this laws at any point of time so I don't think you people should force ur English christian laws on Nigerian Muslims.

and the reason why the country will be better off when divided btw the two religious lines and peace will rain

it still amaze me why do the north insists on sharing one country with the Christian south..the infidels

1 Like

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Mtcheeewfree(m): 2:34pm On Dec 28, 2016
Justdulla:

You are one of the saddening problems of Nigerian youths. The problem is that you people don't read and arent informed. Islam already has laws on what the legislature is aiming to implement, so why should they subject muslims to a new one??
They have been living with it for many years and there has never been problem of Inheritance et al In muslim domains because there is already a stipulated sharing formula.
I made use of google. Next time make use of google as well before posting thrash. It will be beneficial for common sense and humanity
google, google, google? Hmmm. I dnt blame u, i blame d vagina dat intercepted d spam dat produced dat criminal muhamed

1 Like

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Ubenedictus(m): 2:53pm On Dec 28, 2016
Princess4ng:
What is wrong wit sum women? so if a womans husband dies u want d relatives to pursue he from d home becos she cant inherit? or u want a girl child to be victimized by relatives because her late parent have no son?

weytin b ur problem? the bill allow a woman to take care of her kids if her husband dies prematurely? it allows d girl child to inherit her late parents instead of d uncles!
there are many abnomalities the bill is correcting and i am surprised that u a lady will oppose it because u prefer to let women suffer so that men can claim dominance.

i am sorry to say, but u sound like a wicked person.

3 Likes

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by tayolydia: 2:57pm On Dec 28, 2016
Some would even say gender equality is non African,please are the religions(Christianity and Islam)not a by-product of colonialism?

1 Like

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Ubenedictus(m): 2:59pm On Dec 28, 2016
goingape1:
I agree with him on this one!
women are lower than men and why will them seek equality undecided
a pig can't have equal right with human.
stupid post
Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Ubenedictus(m): 3:10pm On Dec 28, 2016
nonjebose:
"It also says a widow should have the right to
remarry any man of her choice and should
have the right to a fair share in the
inheritance of her late husband’s property,
and the right to live in her matrimonial
home"
And what is wrong with this? Why should women become slaves to be handed down? A woman has every right to fair share of his husband's property. As a matter of fact, responsible men take care of their immediate family ( wife and children) in their Will.
amen
Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Ubenedictus(m): 3:22pm On Dec 28, 2016
Adagba01:
So what happens when there is no will?
Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by omonnakoda: 3:31pm On Dec 28, 2016
The problem is that Nairalanders always react emotionally. Having then reacted they now look for rationalizations to dress up what are clearly emotional responses,

Have a look at this thread]
https://www.nairaland.com/3396085/supreme-court-upholds-right-female

The only difference was we were discussing native Ibo law,
See what the same actors had to say then and what they have to say now

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Princess4ng(f): 3:57pm On Dec 28, 2016
Ubenedictus:
What is wrong wit sum women? so if a womans husband dies u want d relatives to pursue he from d home becos she cant inherit? or u want a girl child to be victimized by relatives because her late parent have no son?

weytin b ur problem? the bill allow a woman to take care of her kids if her husband dies prematurely? it allows d girl child to inherit her late parents instead of d uncles!
there are many abnomalities the bill is correcting and i am surprised that u a lady will oppose it because u prefer to let women suffer so that men can claim dominance.

i am sorry to say, but u sound like a wicked person.

Thank you.... What I know is what I said... Atleast am entitled to my own opinion
Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Princess4ng(f): 3:59pm On Dec 28, 2016
dealslip:

Without any apology, you are a woman with extreme low self esteem. The difference between a man and a woman is physical anatomy and hormones.

Thank you ma
Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Princess4ng(f): 4:00pm On Dec 28, 2016
Jtmanager:

And to think u would be championing for this bill

All these ur folly talks de irk me

SMH
Proper upbringing and enlightenment is missing in ur life
Chai get out of here

All the same Thank u...
Re: Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill by Princess4ng(f): 4:01pm On Dec 28, 2016
brownhawk:
too impressive so u are probably male not female

Hmmmmm.... Why should I hide under d disguise of a woman then... Am a true African woman

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

21 Ibadan Kings To Dethrone Olubadan / Emir Sanusi: "If You Don't Have Money, Don't Give Birth To Many Children" / Current Ibo (delta Ibo/anambra) Names For Baby Boys.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.