Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,871 members, 7,806,482 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:08 PM

List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria (66153 Views)

Meet Wodaabe Men, A Fulani Ethnic Group Who Make-up For Easy Marriage, / List Of The Over 80 Ethnic Groups In Ethiopia / 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:12pm On Dec 28, 2016
AK6464:
Nice one but still incomplete, Nyifon, Agatu and Abakpa, all in Benue State are missing from the list

having Igbos living and doing business in Benue doesn't make Benue one of the Igbo states, pls edit

Wow, so u read am finish shocked shocked :-
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:12pm On Dec 28, 2016
Nwogeh:
Where is Ikwerre, isn't it missing

They're neither here nor there,that means,they're the lost tribe:no identity!
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by luggy(m): 11:14pm On Dec 28, 2016
AK6464:
Nice one but still incomplete, Nyifon, Agatu and Abakpa, all in Benue State are missing from the list

having Igbos living and doing business in Benue doesn't make Benue one of the Igbo states, pls edit
just ve it in mind that some part of igbo are in Benue state
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by bigfrancis21: 11:44pm On Dec 28, 2016
FisifunKododada:

cheesy you didn't answer my question: is it similar to the way some Anioma groups no longer refer to themselves as Ibos? cheesy

But these people, ndi odiani, call themselves Igbos. wink
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by BlackChyld(m): 11:44pm On Dec 28, 2016
eshietIntrepid:
Strength in are diversities, but on a second thought all these ethnics groups in one country and u expect peace.

Honestly I think nigeria should be divided .
divided into 371 countries? Mad man
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by FisifunKododada: 11:56pm On Dec 28, 2016
bigfrancis21:

But these people, ndi odiani, call themselves Igbos. wink

cheesy learn to answer a simple question: Yes or No. Is it similar to the way some aniomas say they are not Ibos? cheesy

cheesy For your information the Yoruba group in Delta were speaking Olukunmi long before they started speaking Ibo as a result of interaction with neighboring ibotic groups - that makes them Yorubas not Ibos cheesy
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Smellymouth: 1:09am On Dec 29, 2016
demiladegold:

Same number... my phone got stolen again but I've gotten a new one

Sorry ma'm..

So you didn't come around this Christmas holiday.

Iffa catch you ehn.. grin

Lols. I have sent you a msg on whatsapp though..
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by montezz(f): 2:34am On Dec 29, 2016
khalids:
Who compiled this.......So the south west does not have ethnic groups....
I wonder o. Ijesha...Oyo...akoko...ikale...ilaje etc are not in the list.
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by greatjoey: 8:04am On Dec 29, 2016
bigfrancis21:

I get your point. Though being ruled by an Igala king does not necessarily point to Igala origins of the people there. It is on record that in the past, the Atta of Igala aggressively sought to expand his kingdom by conquering clans (I use clans here because back then identities such as 'igbo', 'igala', etc. were frail and all that existed were dialects spoken) south to him down to Nsukka (Igbo North). The Igalas aggressively ventured out of their lands. In some places, they installed their atta to rule over the people. They were travellers. Many settled within the natives in their newfound lands, taking wives from these areas and their children growing up to speak the language of their mothers and their grandchildren and so on and so forth. Some Igalas ventured into Igboland. For example, in Nsukka land, the Igalas succeeded in displacing the native chief priest and installing their attama to mediate between the gods and Nsukka people as a way of subjugating or gradually controlling the people. The Atta sought to conquer Nsukka land but the Nsukkas effectively resisted such that the one main legacy left behind by the Atta confederacy over Nsukka is the Attama chief priesthood. Till today, chief priest in Nsukka is still known as 'attama'. The Akus of Nsukka resisted Igala-led wars into their lands, winning them at lake 'omeluIgala' (meaning winning the Igala), the lake which was named after the victory of the Akus over Igala.

My theory would be that maybe an Igala warrior invaded Akpanya, as they are wont to do, where they met Igbo-speaking natives, later on installed an atta there, took wives from the people however their next generations till today spoke their mother's language instead of Igala. It would be worthy to note that, if this theory is true, only the immediate direct family of this Igala warrior are paternally Igala by ancestry. The overwhelming majority would still be Igbos by blood ruled over an Igala atta who has significant Igbo maternal ancestry.

That of the Egun/Ogu is slightly different. The people complain of discrimination by the Yorubas, who look down on Ogu. Many of them, in their effort to integrate, try to speak Yoruba language instead so as overcome the discrimination. This is the main reason for their speaking Yoruba, and it is not mainly by marriage to Yoruba women. This cannot be said to be for the case of Akpanya. The Akpanya people are not said to have faced some sort of discrimination from Igbos to compel them to speak Igbo instead. Also, marrying of Igbo women should not suddenly change their language, especially if these people were in 'Igala land'. Instead they should have compelled their Igbo wives to speak Igala as it is in most African societies. Igbo women are known to effectively adapt into their husband's places, thus the inter-marriage reason you gave would not really be in effect here.
You have a logical submission there. But in reality, Akpanya is an Igala land, inhabited by Igala, and ruled by Igala. Even the name has it's meaning in Igala language. Secondly, I wanna put it to you that, Igala tribe has never suffered any conquest as you said there. Igala fought the Hausa, killed the infamous Queen Amina of zariaand had her buried at Idea, Igala fouth and won the Benin kingdom twice, Igala won the great Jukum warriors and drowned them, Igala fought,conquered, subjugated the earlier inhabitants of Ida who were Igbos, forced them out and took over the town which remains Igala traditional headquarters till date, fought and subjugated the TIV's and made them subjects until they got their freedom, ruled over the Ebira, Idoma, conquered and install the first Etsu Nupe who was from the Ata lineage. History is enlightening. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by BTT(m): 8:30am On Dec 29, 2016
dantori:

Mine is 39 Baruba and we're found in Kwara and not Niger

Dianye? Bedeno be?

N fie Kaiama me gwe?
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by drmuri(m): 9:35am On Dec 29, 2016
eshietIntrepid:
Strength in are diversities, but on a second thought all these ethnics groups in one country and u expect peace.

Honestly I think nigeria should be divided .
because you have not studied other countries. India and China both have over 2 thousand ethnic group each; both has landmass much more bigger than Nigeria still they live in peace.
moral of the write up; we can be this numerous and still live together in peace
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nwogeh: 9:54am On Dec 29, 2016
Icon4s:

Ikwerres are Igbos.

I thought 1979 constitution recognized them as a distinct ethnic group. If they are not, then why the so much noise of not being Igbo in PH and even Obigbo
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by oluamid(m): 1:32pm On Dec 29, 2016
ricktnum:
They used old maps to group this. Some tribes stated to be in a state are no longer there do to new state creation. Yoruba people are the dumbest, they believe everyone is either Yoruba, hausa or igbo. Dunno their problems yet they claim to be the most educated. I'm schooling in Yoruba state and I know what's up. Everyone keep asking why I'm from the north but not bearing hausa names. Stupid people.

Now this?

You call a whole ethnic nationality of more than 30 million people dumb just to prove what exactly? I have read all the comments in this thread and I'm yet to see anyone who is Yoruba claiming the bolded. Who cares where who is from? We all have states of origin and that is usually sufficient in conversations where people are trying to know where you are from. In your 'wiseness' if 50 people out of 30 million people can't differentiate one tribe from the other that immediately means everyone from that tribe is dumb?. Smh.

I'm sure you typed your comment with the singular purpose of turning this thread into a tribal war ground. Hopefully you won't get your wish. Your kind are the problems with this country.

4 Likes

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:18pm On Dec 29, 2016
DeepSight:

No, but what's the relevance?

Was just curious .
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by dantori(m): 8:33am On Dec 30, 2016
BTT:

Dianye? Bedeno be?
N fie Kaiama me gwe?
nahh that's Bokobaru we speak Baatonum kpurando asewa baani
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by BTT(m): 9:57am On Dec 30, 2016
dantori:

nahh that's Bokobaru we speak Baatonum kpurando asewa baani

Anamene?

I understand Bokobaru very well. I also understand Bissan. Although I can pick pieces of it, I ultimately don't speak Baatonum.

Are you from Barutein LGA of Kwara State?
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by dantori(m): 12:52pm On Dec 30, 2016
BTT:

Anamene?

I understand Bokobaru very well. I also understand Bissan. Although I can pick pieces of it, I ultimately don't speak Baatonum.

Yes am from Ilesha Baruba in Baruten LGA how abt u??
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by dantori(m): 1:00pm On Dec 30, 2016
BTT:

Anamene?

yea am from Ilesha Baruba in Baruten LGA how about you?
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Michealjerry: 2:00am On Jan 06, 2017
[quote author=Sirlovings post=52330324]
Sirlovings,well done sir,pls I wt to hear from u how did u get ur visa to New Zealand?,was a student visa or visit?,I live in Nigeria I have got admission from one school In New Zealand ,I didn't know know how to apply for visa.most compulsory to go schoo?
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Sirlovings: 10:18pm On Jan 06, 2017
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Michealjerry: 1:05am On Jan 07, 2017
Sirlovings:

In my case, I am married to a kiwi. I have two lovely kids. If you plan to come on a student visa, it will be better for you because it is more straight forward. Since you have got admission from a school here, I will advise you to continue with the student visa but plan it very well. Don't be desperate to move so you won't make mistakes. PLEASE DO NOT USE AN AGENT, you can do everything by yourself.

Have you got your offer of place, or confirmation of enrollment from the school? if yes then start sorting the following things out:

1. Your International passport.

2. Evidence of Fund - You must have enough fund for each years of the duration of your study. It is usually a minimum of 15000 NZD. So if you are looking at getting a one year visa, you must have at least equivalent of 15000 NZ dollars in your account or in your sponsor's account.
Having this money will show that you are able to take care of yourself while studying in New Zealand.
Note that it is better to pay a full year school fee for your first year, this will help convince them that you are a genuine student.

3. Offer of place or confirmation of enrollment - since you got your admission, I believe you are already sorting it out with the school. I also believe that you chose a good course which would help you stay in NZ by apply for Skilled Migrant work visa and then Residency if you plan to go that way or you could use the family category..
It is always better to study a course that are in Long term skilled migrant shortage list. This will be handy when you are applying for your residence visa. Remember that New Zealand visa is based on point system and you have to meet the 160 points. See link: http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/long-term-skill-shortage-list.pdf

4. Health - You will need to do your medicals as a proof that you are in good health. You will need chest X-ray as well. Since you live in Nigeria, they might require you to do full medicals. I think it will cost you around 50-60 thousand naira. See link: http://onlineservices.immigration.govt.nz/templates/Content/ListsPopup.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID=%7bD7D1DC3B-F70D-4BED-9E3A-DB535805EF16%7d&NRORIGINALURL=%2fmigrant%2fstream%2fwork%2fskilledmigrant%2fLinkAdministration%2fToolboxLinks%2fpaneldoctors%2ehtm%3flevel%3d1%26_ga%3d1%2e66193198%2e1049625819%2e1483730207&NRCACHEHINT=Guest&_ga=1.66193198.1049625819.1483730207&level=1

5. Character: Immigration New Zealand will like to make sure that you are of good character with no criminal records. They don't joke with crime here. If you live in Nigeria, you will need a Police clearance from Nigeria. If you have lived in another country for more than a Year in the last 7 years, you will need a police clearance from that country. I think you can get your Nigerian police clearance for like 10k or less from:
Central Criminal Registry Force C.I.D. Annex
Alagbon Close Ikoyi
Lagos, Nigeria.

6. Medical/Travel Insurance - you will need health insurance except if you are coming here to study for PhD. Free or subsidized Medical care is only for New Zealand citizens and Resident visa holders

7. - Letter to Immigration New Zealand, explaining why you choose to study in New Zealand and your intention to return home after your studies (even if that's won't be the case) You will need to show them that you are a genuine student and that your intention is to study and return home with your knowledge. This is the tricky part and this is where you will need to convince them that you have enough fund to see you through while studying. And that you are not an Economic migrant who is just looking for a way to leave his country.
If Immigration New Zealand think or suspect that you are not a genuine student, the case officer might just decline your visa.
So you need to be careful and make sure you have chosen the right course, atleast a course that is needed in NZ like; Engineering courses, Nursing, Medicine, surveying, Health care course etc..

Once you have put your supporting documents together, go to Immigration New Zealand Website and download or fill your form online (3-4 different forms). You can apply online or you can send them to the VAC office in Pretoria, South Africa. They will receive your application and visa fee and then send it to INZ office in New Zealand Embassy.

Note that you can work for 20 hours while the school is on and for unlimited hours during school holidays.

Please do not use fake documents because it will result to a ban. You might not even be aware of your ban. They will only say things like " you intend to deceive Immigration New Zealand and that you are not a genuine applicant. A ban from INZ means you cannot get Australian visa too. it might even affect your UK visa if you apply in any of those countries as they share Immigration information. So DO NOT USE AN AGENT.
Read about other people's cases in online forums and do it yourself.

This will be part of your first step to getting into New Zealand. For your proper work visa and residency, it will be another story when you get here.

Do note if you commit any crimes while in New Zealand and you get convicted for more than 3 months you will get deported. New Zealand is very strict with their laws.

d course I choosed is accounting,beside when I get d visa,I didt go to school direct what's going to happen?.thx
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Sirlovings: 4:42am On Jan 07, 2017
Michealjerry:
d course I choosed is accounting,beside when I get d visa,I didt go to school direct what's going to happen?.thx

Accounting is good. But in your own interest, make sure you attend the school when you are here, if you don't , the school will report you to the Immigration and your visa will be cancelled and you will face deportation.

New Zealand is a country with small population so it is easier for them to locate you.
Besides, you might just have 2 or 3 days of class in a week so it is pointless getting into trouble. And within 3 years you will have your degree..

Note that New Zealand is not for "Nigerian style hustle".

It is good if you are coming to study, get a job and live a decent good lifestyle.
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Michealjerry: 11:04am On Jan 07, 2017
Sirlovings:

Accounting is good. But in your own interest, make sure you attend the school when you are here, if you don't , the school will report you to the Immigration and your visa will be cancelled and you will face deportation.

New Zealand is a country with small population so it is easier for them to locate you.
Besides, you might just have 2 or 3 days of class in a week so it is pointless getting into trouble. And within 3 years you will have your degree..

Note that New Zealand is not for "Nigerian style hustle".

It is good if you are coming to study, get a job and live a decent good lifestyle.
yes sir,I don't have money to pay for 1year course or they can allow me to pay it installment?.can I use student visa to seek asylum?.i will like to hear 4m u again.thx
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Sirlovings: 8:20pm On Jan 07, 2017
Michealjerry:
yes sir,I don't have money to pay for 1year course or they can allow me to pay it installment?.can I use student visa to seek asylum?.i will like to hear 4m u again.thx

You will need to talk to the school about payment arrangements. But if you can pay all your fees for a year, it will help you with the visa.

As for seeking Asylum as a Nigerian, please do not think about it because they won't approve it. And it will be a waste of time/years.

Immigration New Zealand is very strict and you just have to do the right thing to get a visa.
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Michealjerry: 9:40pm On Jan 07, 2017
Sirlovings:

You will need to talk to the school about payment arrangements. But if you can pay all your fees for a year, it will help you with the visa.

As for seeking Asylum as a Nigerian, please do not think about it because they won't approve it. And it will be a waste of time/years.

Immigration New Zealand is very strict and you just have to do the right thing to get a visa.
thx sir,how much is house rent,and kindly help me send free dating website so dat I can meet another people dere like u.i will like to hear 4m again.thx
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Sirlovings: 12:46am On Jan 08, 2017
Michealjerry:
thx sir,how much is house rent,and kindly help me send free dating website so dat I can meet another people dere like u.i will like to hear 4m again.thx

Sorry, I am not on dating website or know any.
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by laudate: 1:06am On Jan 08, 2017
Nnamdd1:
A Comprehensive list of all the 371 Ethnic Groups in Nigeria.

Mine is 165, What is Yours?

Source: http://www.naijahelm.com/2016/12/complete-list-of-all-371-ethnic-groups-in-nigeria.html

Wow!! shocked And last time I checked, I saw a list of just 150 ethnic groups. Now, it has grown to 371 ethnic groups. We are really blessed as a country!! cheesy
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by laudate: 1:08am On Jan 08, 2017
AK6464:

True!! cheesy
Noblesoul123:
This is for the information of tribal bigots who think Nigeria operates on a tripod of Igbo, Hausa & Yoruba

God bless you! wink Help me to tell them, especially the IPOBian crew that thinks anyone who does not agree with them comes from the South-West! angry

greatjoey:

My brother, there is no indigenous Igbo in Benue and Kogi states. The only links are that Igbo of Enugu and Ebonyi share boundaries and cultural ties with Benue state, and Anambra, Enugu, and Delta Igbos share same with Kogi state. Note also that there are indigenous Igala tribe in Enugu, Anambra and Delta syates.

In fact, people have debated this issue several times on NL.

1 Like

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by laudate: 1:22am On Jan 08, 2017
bigfrancis21:
Akpanya people are native Igbos. The people of Akpanya speak Igbo as first language, and not Igala except they travel out of the town. The natives are Igbo Christians but there are many Igbo settlers there who are Muslims who converted to Islam and migrated from other areas to the tow due to religious freedom there.

Also, the people of Eke Avurugo (Afulugo) in Kogi state speak Igbo as first language. The village of Odolu is bilingual in both Igala and Igbo.

Yes, there are native Igbos in Kogi state (in Igalamela and Ibaji LGAs). Let us learn to keep facts straight.

Visit this thread if you need more information: https://www.nairaland.com/3443446/igbo-speaking-communities-kogi-state
greatjoey:
The indigenous Akpaya people are migrant from Egume in Dekina LG of Kogi state and are complete Igala and they are true descendants of Atah Ayegba of the blessed memory. The Igbo they speak is as a result of inter marriage and close neighbourhood between them and the Nsuka Igbos. The on the other hand ate descendants of Atiele Omidoko, and are freeborn of Igala. Though, there arr Idoma and Igbo residents of Ete too. Those Idomas know that they migrated from Benue state so also the Igbas as it might interest you to know that Ete is a town in Kogi state and neither Enugu nor Benue. I am from that community and I am an Idoma guy.

How interesting!! wink Anytime they say that Igbos are the indigenous people of Ibaji in Kogi State, I always laugh!! cheesy
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Michealjerry: 6:37am On Jan 08, 2017
Sirlovings:

Sorry, I am not on dating website or know any.
thx sir,when I get dere Can I get apartment4 myself?and how much is it?.how much are thy paying for work pa hour?.thx

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Rift Between African-Americans And Recent African Immigrants To The US / The New Mogadishu / Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.