Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,483 members, 7,781,450 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:32 PM

Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa (3515 Views)

Former Presidential Candidate Remi Sonaiya Laments High Cost Of British Visa / Nigerians Running For British Parliamentary Seats / Govt Rejects Proposed British Visa Bond Policy, UK Reacts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by selingel: 12:55pm On Nov 19, 2009
Bizarre: Nigerian marries daughter for British visa
19 November, 2009 05:41:00 Reports

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

What on earth will make a man marry his daughter? That is the question many are asking a Nigerian Home Office worker who was accused of marrying his own daughter to get her a British visa.

The action already termed an ‘extraordinary scam’ is being investigated by the British Police.

According to the Daily Mail, Jelili Adesanya 54, has lived in Britain for more than 30 years and holds a British passport, but wanted his daughter, her husband and their four sons to join him from Nigeria.

It is expected she would try to remarry her real husband to get them all visas. Adesanya was accused of faking a wedding ceremony complete with a photograph of the happy "couple" which helped fool immigration officials that his daughter, Karimotu Adenike, was really his wife.

Miss Adenike, who is in her mid-30s, was duly granted permission to live in the UK.

They are waiting for her to be granted a permanent right to remain before they undergo a quiet divorce and attempt to bring the rest of her family here.

It is expected she would try to remarry her real husband to get them all visas.

But despite being tipped off two years ago, the Home Office seems to have done nothing to stop the scam by one of its workers.

Until recently, Mr Adesanya was employed as an occupational health nurse for the Home Office, working with immigration officials at Gatwick airport.

A whistleblower sent letters to the High Commission in Lagos and the UK Border Agency including specific details such as names, addresses, passport numbers and even a copy of the wedding photograph.

When there was no response, he sent emails to then Home Secretary Jacqui Smith and ministers Vernon Coaker and Phil Woolas on February 1 this year. He heard nothing.

Mr Adesanya, who came to Britain in 1976, flew back to Nigeria on May 29, 2007, and held the bogus wedding ceremony a few days later at a register office in Ikorodu, Lagos.

A source said: "They paid people to attend the wedding so that the British High Commission in Lagos would believe it was genuine. The commission then gave Karimotu Adenike a two-year settlement visa in October 2007.

"On her settlement visa application form, of course, she did not mention that she already had a husband and four children.

"The date of birth on her Nigerian passport is not her real date of birth."

Miss Adenike is believed to have aged herself by 10 years on her wedding certificate to disguise the age gap with her father.

Although her settlement visa expired in October, she is hoping to be given the right to remain.

David Burrowes, the Conservative MP for Enfield Southgate and Shadow Justice Minister, was also tipped off by the whistleblower and wrote to the Home Office.

This time there was a reply, but it said that although the matter was "under investigation", no further information would be provided because it could "breach of our obligations under the Data Protection Act".

Mr Burrowes told the Mail: "I am very surprised and concerned that no action appears to have been taken, because the allegations are extremely serious."

Mr Adesanya, who lives with his daughter in Dagenham, Essex, vehemently denied the plot and said he had never been questioned about the allegations.

He said: "Married my own daughter? I have never heard anything like this in my life. I deny it. She is my wife, not my daughter."

However, asked to confirm his "wife’s’ date of birth, he said he did not know without checking her passport, and refused to allow her to speak for herself.

Unknown to him, his daughter had confirmed the arrangement when she told a friend she would shortly apply for her own British passport and "divorce daddy".

On Tuesday night Jonathan Sedgwick, from the UK Border Agency, said: "These individuals are already under investigation, and I want to make it clear that abuse of our immigration laws will not be tolerated.

"If we identify marriages which we believe are not genuine, we will challenge them and prosecute where appropriate.

"We are determined to send home any foreign nationals convicted of these types of crimes once they have served their sentences." Culled from Daily Mail

http://www.champion.com.ng/index.php?news=22590
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by WilyWily: 1:05pm On Nov 19, 2009
When it Comes to Mago Mago Jibiti, Yorubas sabi oooooo.
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by selingel: 1:05pm On Nov 19, 2009
In Nigeria and with Nigerian, all things are possible. Wonders shall never end. I am sure alot of our so-called diasporans will not be comfortable with this. People do everything and anything just to remain abroad. I am very sure on judgement day, there will be two queues; The Nigerian queue and the queue for others. After GOD must have finished judging the other queue for 5 days, he will rest on the sixth day and now resume that of Nigerians on the seventh. There will be extreme and tight security during that process.
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by selingel: 1:06pm On Nov 19, 2009
What a nation!. grin grin grin
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by Oboma1(m): 1:14pm On Nov 19, 2009
I keep asking one question, is crime synonymous to Yoruba's?
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by WilyWily: 1:33pm On Nov 19, 2009
They are always the architects, Crime is inside their DNA. Unless as i said earlier, they are all Genetically Modified, Nigeria is in deep problem.
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by mekusxxx: 1:37pm On Nov 19, 2009
Everywhere a Yoruba goes, he closes the door after him. This deserves a Guiness Book of Records for being a firster
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by Enjoyment1(f): 1:40pm On Nov 19, 2009
WilyWily:

They are always the architects, Crime is inside their DNA. Unless as i said earlier, they are all Genetically Modified, Nigeria is in deep problem.

I am not getting you well. You mean, the Yorubas inherited crime from their lineage? Maybe I am missing something here. Based on what you said, that crime is found in every Yoruba's DNA. You mean their genetics have been criminally modified. This is not fair. I will only advise they all go for the test, just to prove you wrong.
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by Otobroto(f): 2:05pm On Nov 19, 2009
No matter what anybody says, a typical Ibo man can sell his mother to raise money. Check all the cells in the world where you have any Nigerian, if you dont find an Ibo man, then I will pay you N100,000 to any genuine claim. What is all these Yoruba and crime all about?.
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by Otobroto(f): 2:07pm On Nov 19, 2009
All these beheading in Singapore and Saudi Arabia, where are these boys from?. If armed robbers come calling on you in Lagos, or you are waylaid, listen to what they speak, Igbo!.
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by mekusxxx: 2:09pm On Nov 19, 2009
Otobroto:

No matter what anybody says, a typical Ibo man can sell his mother to raise money. Check all the cells in the world where you have any Nigerian, if you dont find an Ibo man, then I will pay you N100,000 to any genuine claim. What is all these Yoruba and crime all about?.

Jona (I know you are Jona) we are working with facts and not fiction. So show one report where an Igbo man sold his wife to raise money. We are waiting.

+ in all those prison cells you mentioned, you will probably find a Yoruba and an Edo person too. Those are the three big, bad wolves of Nigeria (at least outside the country)
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by Otobroto(f): 2:10pm On Nov 19, 2009
Now that Christmas is just by the corner, I pity Nigerians. Because all these Ibo boys will relaunch their onslaught to make emergency money, to go and decieve those small girls in their villages. What is all these Yoruba noise all about?. Remove the huge slate on your face first, before seeing that on your brothers face.
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by mekusxxx: 2:10pm On Nov 19, 2009
Shame on you. The two people so far beheaded in Saudi Arabi have hausa names. Let me get the posts
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by Otobroto(f): 2:14pm On Nov 19, 2009
Check most of them, and not just the most recent!.
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by mekusxxx: 2:18pm On Nov 19, 2009
Otobroto:

Check most of them, and not just the most recent!.

You are a bloody insecure liar. Show a report where an Igbo man was killed in Saudi.
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by Otobroto(f): 2:24pm On Nov 19, 2009
mekusxxx:

You are a bloody insecure liar. Show a report where an Igbo man was killed in Saudi.

Hold on. Don't let your blood boil. I will give more than enough evidence now.
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by Otobroto(f): 2:46pm On Nov 19, 2009
Trend Of Illicit Drug Trafficking Worries NDLEA Boss
By Wisdom Patrick Senior Correspondent, Lagos

National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) said on Monday that statistics in the last one year have shown that in every 10 drug traffickers arrested, eight were likely to be from the South East of the country.

"ThIgbo ethnic extraction in Nigeria is therefore put the a willing tools in the hands of the drug barons, the Northerners are consumers of the substances, while South West provide storage and platform for trafficking in drugs."

Chairman of NDLEA, Ahmadu Giade, disclosed this to newsmen in Lagos on Monday.

He stated that the development is a worrisome one and then called for concerted effort to be able to stem the tide "at least for the future of the youth of this country".

The NDLEA boss also on the occasion received the report of the committee on awareness campaign on the prevention of illicit drug crop cultivation, trafficking and abuse in Nigeria from its Director General, Lanre Ipinmisho, at the NDLEA headquarters in Lagos.

He noted that the statistic were alarming and predicative.

He added that out of the 18 Nigerians in prison at far away Indonesia, 17 of them are Igbo.

"Even one that answered Olaniyi which was believed to be a Yoruba man later turned out to be Nwachukwu.

"So in a situation of that nature what do you do; you have to cry out, perhaps help would come from somewhere for these promising young men."

Earlier, Ipinmisho, in his address had stated that the Minister of External Affairs, Ojo Maduekwe, who was also at the Indonesian prison with some of the NDLEA chiefs, could no longer contain the situation.

"He has to cry out; why is it that all are Igbo men. At least it should have been WAZOBIA, why? But that was the dilemma of the Minister," Ipinmisho stated.

http://www.independentngonline.com/news/head/article06
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by Otobroto(f): 2:48pm On Nov 19, 2009
mekusxxx:

Mr Fool, are you still there?
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by WilyWily: 3:50pm On Nov 19, 2009
Enjoyment1:

I am not getting you well. You mean, the Yorubas inherited crime from their lineage? Maybe I am missing something here. Based on what you said, that crime is found in every Yoruba's DNA. You mean their genetics have been criminally modified. This is not fair. I will only advise they all go for the test, just to prove you wrong.
Check this------
From----ODUDUWA----ONYENUSI----OMO JESU----OBASANJO-----ABIOLA----SHINO RAMBO----BODE GEORGE. ETC
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by Otobroto(f): 4:16pm On Nov 19, 2009
My suggestion here is that, we all should join hands and fight that monster called corruption, and kill the brother called crime. No one should see one tribe to be more in it than the other. That way, it will be reduced, at least.

1 Like

Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by selingel: 4:54pm On Nov 19, 2009
I just read of one statistics. 8 of every 10 Igbo men is into crime.
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by hasyak(m): 5:13pm On Nov 19, 2009
we have very very few ibo Muslim and they hardly go to Saudi for biz.
so you should not expect to see their names

1 Like

Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by selingel: 5:19pm On Nov 19, 2009
hasyak:

we have very very few ibo Muslim and they hardly go to Saudi for biz.
so you should not expect to see their names

My guy, this wont have come up in the first place. It is one fool, called Mekusxxx that started it all. Now, the fool has scrammed!.
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by AloyEmeka6: 5:21pm On Nov 19, 2009
How many times will this topic come up in nairaland?. I am sure OP posted this one for tribal purposes. Moderator please merge this thread to the existing one here: 

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-353682.0.html.
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by selingel: 5:28pm On Nov 19, 2009
Nigerians will do anything just to make it in life. I am not surprised.
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by Otobroto(f): 5:34pm On Nov 19, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

How many times will this topic come up in nairaland?. I am sure OP posted this one for tribal purposes. Moderator please merge this thread to the existing one here: 

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-353682.0.html.

I guess the same thing should be done to you own thread about "Abia's state governor's wife". Didnt you see an existing thread before starting another. Please Moderator, merge that from Mr. Aloy-Emeka to this one https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-353681.0.html.
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by Otobroto(f): 5:36pm On Nov 19, 2009
What is good for the goose, is good for the gander".
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by Oboma1(m): 6:29pm On Nov 19, 2009
In fact, I once heard of a story carried by Sunday Sun how Nigerians shared wives with white guys just to get papers?. What a life they are living out there. Nigeria may not be a heaven, but people are living well and decent lives. No wonder Switzerland is offering Nigerians $6,500 to return back home. In fact, they even extended it to those with legal documents. What a life.
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by Oboma1(m): 6:32pm On Nov 19, 2009
What will make a man to live a demeaning life, is not what dieing for. People failed to understand that, there are some things people get themselves involved in, and tommorow, it will start hunting them. Once you are pronounced married, it sticks to you (whether contract or not). In the sight of GOD, you are married and that is for live.
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by Oboma1(m): 6:33pm On Nov 19, 2009
I just pity this lady. She does not know what she has gotten herself into (spiritually).
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by becomrich15: 7:07pm On Nov 19, 2009
"wife’s’ date of birth, he said he did not know without checking her passport"

Most nigeria men do not know thier wife birthday. 90% of nigerian do not celebrate birthday. Sometime , 2 or 3 days past before I remember mine.
We dont take that nonsense important. My friend slept in his car for one month because his white wife, did not understand how he could forget her birthday. We dont attach much to thing like this in Nigeria.

95% of nigerian men when they remarry would marry a younger woman. Nobody is ready to marry someone of thier age.or older. She may not be his child.

Why would I want to marry an old woman when women in the thier 23 to 30 years old are still there to be married to. This is how nigeria works.

Obasanjo just got married and He did not marry a woman in her 70's . she is more than 20 years or more young.

This is how africa is. Over here they marry thier age mate or closer. With african, we only marry younger women.

The moment a woman makes a mistake in leaving her first husband. 90% of the time. She can only marry an old man in his 60 or 70 with no teeth. So women stay in your homes.

Why would a man want an old woman for a wife? this is how african think.
They say the younger the better in after.

And look when someone is old in nigeria ,they do not want to live abroad. I know some of my family would have refused to live abroad.  Most nigerian grandparent, only want visa to visit thier grandchildren and not to stay because , our culture want us to die at home. It is sometime seen as  an abomination to die otrside yorubaland. When you tried to help old people with resident paper, they refuse.
We have an Uhrobo woman here, whose son file for resident, she is here now. And one day, this woman say she is going back to nigeria. And everybody beg her to stay, she refused to get her citizenship, since she has already stay for 30 month. She claim she must die at home.

Chief Obasanjo children are abroad and he would never want to die anywhere expect yorubaland. That what our culture want us to do. That we must die and be buried in yorubaland. And that is why when a yorubaman dies we send the body back to nigeria.
Re: Bizarre: Nigerian Marries Daughter For British Visa by Otobroto(f): 7:29pm On Nov 19, 2009
What still baffles me here is that, why would she allow such (even with her husband in Nigeria)? Meanwhile, as for the husband, I know he will not do anything even if he hears that the father is sleeping with his daughter for visa!.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fg Terminates N64bn Abuja Runway Contract / Ekiti Election: Shocking Facts Emerged!!! / Channels Tv---Osun Apc Vs Osun Pdp's Interview 'MY report'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.