Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,019 members, 7,806,984 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:12 AM

Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods (21113 Views)

List Of 115 Items To Enjoy FG Import Duties Cut / FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items / FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by Nobody: 12:06pm On Dec 29, 2016
This is very good news.

Nigeria, an inconvenient marriage of cultures, is never easy to manage.

No retreat, no surrender.

1 Like

Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by dabossman(m): 12:22pm On Dec 29, 2016
Billyonaire:
So, this is war on the upper class, right ? If my fantasy is yatch and supercars, I will fire most of my staff and save their salaries to cover the difference in taxes as a pay back to this poverty-manufacturing government. So govt will have to contend with their poverty or the impending rise in crime rate.

Why would a goverrnment focus on impoverishing the citizens ? Is it a crime to be rich or to desire luxury products produced by real countries and not some failed sub-saharan oil dependent tribal contraption ?

Really? You would sack most of your staff who make this money for you so you can do what, buy a yacht which you will still pay taxes on anyway? Bravo! You'll do all their essential jobs yourself? Or where they just loafing in your company before? Don't worry, sack them. Hopefully, your increased taxes will provide social security for them. Oh, and please add bulletproof cars and anti-kidnap mechanisms to your luxury list since you have clearly stated that your penny wise, pound foolish idea will increase the crime rate, which you are not immune from.

Gosh! What a warped logic. Everywhere around the world the rich pay huge luxury taxes, but Mister pseudo Billy-onaire here is using poverty mentality to reason the matter. grin

P.S: I dare you not to respond with a clapback. tongue

3 Likes

Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by Nobody: 12:38pm On Dec 29, 2016
dabossman:

Really? You would sack most of your staff who make this money for you so you can do what, buy a yacht which you will still pay taxes on anyway? Bravo! You'll do all their essential jobs yourself? Or where they just loafing in your company before? Don't worry, sack them. Hopefully, your increased taxes will provide social security for them. Oh, and please add bulletproof cars and anti-kidnap mechanisms to your luxury list since you have clearly stated that your penny wise, pound foolish idea will increase the crime rate, which you are not immune from.

Gosh! What a warped logic. Everywhere around the world the rich pay huge luxury taxes, but Mister pseudo Billy-onaire here is using poverty mentality to reason the matter. grin

P.S: I dare you not to respond with a clapback. tongue

You are already scared that I might fire you on all 4-cylinders, but I will not. Not because I am some heavenly bound religious guy, but because I think your line of reasoning though judgmentally myopic has to be respected.

In your warped reasoning, you did not understand that I was speaking for all hardworking employers out there. Why do you think people work damn hard for success ? Most people work so they can afford the luxurious things of life. This is a fact.

So, if a govt is undermining the very reason I worked damn hard, in order to save enough so they can steal, what should an investor do ? You search for a different economy with less vindictive government, stable tax regimes and take breaks for investors and move businesses there, and for the staff in the target country ? They head back to their homes.

You were emotionally occupied with desire to criticisze my point of view, without questioning the reason any govt will 'jack up' tax on luxury products from 20pct to 70pct. Looks more of a punitive measure than Economic revitalization plan. What government doesnt wanna see yatches on her waters and great SUVs on her roads ? Are we Benin Republic now ?

What fucking sense does it make when they will steal all the money anyway and borrow more and still steal them.

I like to pay taxes as long as it is put to great use, but in this country, my taxes end up in the pockets of politicians.

Do not bother to respond, I am busy.

2 Likes

Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by porozhniy(m): 12:45pm On Dec 29, 2016
This is the wrongest possible time to raise tarrifs on wheat, fabric materials, antimalarials & used cars.
Prices of wheat based products 're high enough, expect them to sour out of reach.
Malaria is endemic in Nigeria & we lack the capacity in R&grin of these drugs.
Banning importation of used vehicles from land borders while raising tarrif to 70% will not help anybody. Smuggling is already a problem as it is, expect double next year. Ajaokuta is lying moribund, no plans to resuscitate, how do we develop the capacity to produce our own cars?
Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by samofson: 12:50pm On Dec 29, 2016
its a good idea but there is a reason why the previous government did not implement it. For you to raise taxes on essential commodities, you should have created an environment for local production to cover the shortfall. At the time the environment wasn't conducive for such.

it would have put untold hardship on the population. implementing this now without a proper policy on how to guarantee sustainable local production may cause increase in prices as people will still import foreign goods because the local ones cant meet the demand and the cost of these taxes would simply be passed on the populace.

On paper its a brilliant idea but benefits of implementing it now remains to be seen. The Government should be looking for ways to encourage local production by tax freezes or grants instead of making life more difficult for the common man.

Before you come for me, I am referring to essential commodities not luxury goods and items ...they can tax 100% self if dem want.
Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by brojoshua: 1:01pm On Dec 29, 2016
Is equal to more pain and hunger for the people and particularly the poor of my people
Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by Gerrard59(m): 1:01pm On Dec 29, 2016
Saintp:
You cannot spur local production without tackling the root cause of lack of production in this country. The cost of producing a pin in Nigeria is 10 times that of China and that is why import is favorable for the masses at the moment.

The govt should first of all solve the power problem. You don't expect companies to produce using diesel and prices of local goods not be expensive.
The key to unlock our local production capacity is solving our power problems and rail transport system and not this stupid tariff increases, it will only increase hardship to Nigerians.

. Thank you very much. I operate a business where we spend 2MN+ naira annually on electricity alone. That's more than we invest back into the business, more than staff salaries, more than what we spend on food, clothing, transportation, school fees. We're in the service industry and one can imagine what entrepreneurs in the industrial sector pass through.

In other words, I spend more on diesel than food(an essential need). I have not seen light for six hours straight in a day, yet I pay taxes monthly both federal and state, electricity bills, everything.

Useless country.
Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by dabossman(m): 1:12pm On Dec 29, 2016
Billyonaire:

You are already scared that I might fire you on all 4-cylinders, but I will not. Not because I am some heavenly bound religious guy, but because I think your line of reasoning though judgmentally myopic has to be respected.

In your warped reasoning, you did not understand that I was speaking for all hardworking employers out there. Why do you think people work damn hard for success ? Most people work so they can afford the luxurious things of life. This is a fact.

So, if a govt is undermining the very reason I worked damn hard, in order to save enough so they can steal, what should an investor do ? You search for a different economy with less vindictive government, stable tax regimes and take breaks for investors and move businesses there, and for the staff in the target country ? They head back to their homes.

You were emotionally occupied with desire to criticisze my point of view, without questioning the reason any govt will 'jack up' tax on luxury products from 20pct to 70pct. Looks more of a punitive measure than Economic revitalization plan. What government doesnt wanna see yatches on her waters and great SUVs on her roads ? Are we Benin Republic now ?

What fucking sense does it make when they will steal all the money anyway and borrow more and still steal them.

I like to pay taxes as long as it is put to great use, but in this country, my taxes end up in the pockets of politicians.

Do not bother to respond, I am busy.

Unfortunately for you, I am not. My point has nothing to do with government but your funny solution to the issue at hand. You do not spite your nose to punish your face. You do not put your business in jeopardy simple because you want to spite a government that is non-performing. If you don't want to pay taxes for fear that it will be wacked by thieving politicians, why not employ Lionel Messi's tax accountant, instead you talk about putting the company that feeds your luxurious lifestyle in danger. Mind you, taxation on your business and tax reliefs that such a business might enjoy are a totally different ball of yarn to taxes levied on you as an individual for your luxurious tastes in the finer things of life. So while you may move to a better clime where your business will enjoy the benefits of a stable tax regime, you as an individual won't be so lucky when you start stacking up your yachts, jets and expensive champagne. tongue

Adios amigos. cool

2 Likes

Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by APCmyheart(m): 1:22pm On Dec 29, 2016
Atiku2019:
Other major items affected in the duty increase include sugar cane and salt from 10 per cent to 70 per cent; alcoholic spirit, beverages and tobacco from 20 per cent to 60 per cent; and rice from 10 per cent to 60 per cent.

I hope this will encourage Local Production cool

Yes i believe it will help, Buhari mean well for Nigeria and i believe you also know that, But some element are just trying to frustrate his govt for their greediness..

Beside Why are we importing Sugarcane, Salt, etc when are we going to grow up...

I foresee some Graduates going into Farming and i am planing on that already..
Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by APCmyheart(m): 1:28pm On Dec 29, 2016
curvilicious:
So they can buy 100m worth kitchen

APC!!! Shame!!!

LOL sorry you most eat local food by force...
Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by Nobody: 1:28pm On Dec 29, 2016
dabossman:

Unfortunately for you, I am not. My point has nothing to do with government but your funny solution to the issue at hand. You do not spite your nose to punish your face. You do not put your business in jeopardy simple because you want to spite a government that is non-performing. If you don't want to pay taxes for fear that it will be wacked by thieving politicians, why not employ Lionel Messi's tax accountant, instead you talk about putting the company that feeds your luxurious lifestyle in danger. Mind you, taxation on your business and tax reliefs that such a business might enjoy are a totally different ball of yarn to taxes levied on you as an individual for your luxurious tastes in the finer things of life. So while you may move to a better clime where your business will enjoy the benefits of a stable tax regime, you as an individual won't be so lucky when you start stacking up your yachts, jets and expensive champagne. tongue

Adios amigos. cool

I told you I was busy. There is no point trying to lecture me on what is good for my business and what is bad. I do not think you are qualified to advise me on such issues. I have nothing on my name except may be personal effects. And that is how it is supposed to be. I am not an average Joe you meet. Assets are listed under corporate ownership. All corporate taxes are listed as such as I handle the Payee tax, I do not earn much as an individual. As such personal bankruptcy can not affect my Corporate Entities and Trust.

I do not think it is based on economic growth postulates that Buhari seeks to increase taxes on luxury items from 20 to 70%. That margin is way too high and looks more vindictive than visionary.

I will repeat this and it is true. The chief reason people work damn hard, invest damn hard and study damn hard, is to live luxury lives and enjoy the fruits of their labor. If a thieving politician decides to target your taste for luxury items which fueled the passion for your hardwork, then that sort of government is promoting complacency, discouraging enterprise mindset and extolling the virtues of pauperism.

Do not argue to win, always argue to learn. So far I think you are missing that mark.

Enjoy your day, but think differently next year. I have nothing against a uniform increase in tax to meet needs of a country, but using a standard economic models, countries in recession are encouraged to catalyze consumer spending, increase tax cuts to put money into the pockets of the citizens and introduce social welfarism. But in Nigeria, we are unfortunate to have ignorant people managing the Economy.

Does not make sense to me no more. Just hope we havent gotten to a point of no return.

3 Likes

Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by APCmyheart(m): 1:29pm On Dec 29, 2016
Atiku2019:

The plan to raise the duties which was first contemplated by former Coordinating Minister for the Economy and Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo- Iweala under the immediate past administration of Dr. Goodluck Jonathan had remained on the drawing board due to Jonathan’s loss of the presidential election to the incumbent President Muhammadu Buhari and the consequent change of officials between the former administration and the current one. cool

Don't mind her, Some of them just read without understand the context of what they read..

1 Like

Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by APCmyheart(m): 1:30pm On Dec 29, 2016
repogirl:
Watch as it gravely backfires...As usual. There was a reason NOI held off on its implementation but Kemi will rush in without considering other factors.

Please ooo what factors?

1 Like

Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by APCmyheart(m): 1:30pm On Dec 29, 2016
Nma27:
Salt?

Yes we are importing salt can oyu imagine, The duty should be raised to 100%

1 Like

Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by Caseless: 1:31pm On Dec 29, 2016
repogirl:
Watch as it gravely backfires...As usual. There was a reason NOI held off on its implementation but Kemi will rush in without considering other factors.
tell us the other factors, pls.
Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by APCmyheart(m): 1:31pm On Dec 29, 2016
crisycent:
See as zombies rush defend their leader. A country that cannot produce toothpick is raising duty on everything.

If you take producing toothpick as a job you will become billionaire in few years my brother but no you want to work in Oil company..

1 Like

Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by APCmyheart(m): 1:38pm On Dec 29, 2016
abumeinben:
Govt....Have we started producing these items?

And is raising tax on import duties the only rill-over item from GEJ era? What happened to the National Conference outcomes?

When did we started producing rice? But this year we eat local Rice..

1 Like

Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by porozhniy(m): 1:53pm On Dec 29, 2016
APCmyheart:

When did we started producing rice? But this year we eat local Rice..
Maybe you should check this out.
http://www.indexmundi.com/agriculture/?country=ng&commodity=milled-rice&graph=production
Those 're stats for milled rice.
Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by crisycent: 2:00pm On Dec 29, 2016
APCmyheart:

If you take producing toothpick as a job you will become billionaire in few years my brother but no you want to work in Oil company..

Tell your zombie government to fix power first. I thought the imbecîle of a minister said 6 months is too much for any serious government to fix power?
Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by erico2k2(m): 2:11pm On Dec 29, 2016
Esperooke:
Overdue and good
This means your N100 bag of salt is now N70 .
N10 salt will be N70 ypu call that good ?
Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by rusher14: 2:11pm On Dec 29, 2016
repogirl:
what hatred? Haven't almost all their policies backfired? That they had to reverse many of them?

We guys are only stating what we have seen so far.
As long as it is APC it must backfire but if it PDP it must succeed not so?
Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by erico2k2(m): 2:12pm On Dec 29, 2016
crisycent:

Tell your zombie government to fix power first. I thought the imbecîle of a minister said 6 months is too much for any serious government to fix power?
You know talk is cheap
Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by APCmyheart(m): 2:12pm On Dec 29, 2016
porozhniy:
Maybe you should check this out.
http://www.indexmundi.com/agriculture/?country=ng&commodity=milled-rice&graph=production
Those 're stats for milled rice.

Sorry that source alone make me no even want to click it..
Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by erico2k2(m): 2:14pm On Dec 29, 2016
rusher14:

As long as it is APC it must backfire but if it PDP it must succeed not so?

Well that the last FG must have had a working team cos we where on the mend but this FG seems to always get it wrong from day one so what do you xpect the thought of the citizens to reflect? angry
PS dnt mention Oil I dey beg U.
Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by APCmyheart(m): 2:15pm On Dec 29, 2016
crisycent:

Tell your brother to stop bombing pipelines.
Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by rusher14: 2:16pm On Dec 29, 2016
erico2k2:

Well that the last FG must have had a working team cos we where on the mend but this FG seems to always get it wrong from day one so what do you xpect the thought of the citizens to reflect? angry
PS dnt mention Oil I dey beg U.

We were not on any mend.

We flourished because we made more income from the sale of Oil ( Yes, I said it).

We have to start looking inwards it is simple economics.

1 Like

Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by erico2k2(m): 2:17pm On Dec 29, 2016
APCmyheart:

Have you seen the machine that does tooth pick ? Do you know howmuch it is to buy from china then howmuch it takes to power it ? You will run at a loss cos of high overhead . If the FG reduces your overhead in tax breaks and zero %on import duties of said machine see if the person you quoted won't derv into that biz.
Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by erico2k2(m): 2:19pm On Dec 29, 2016
rusher14:

We were not on any mend.

We flourished because we made more income from the sale of Oil ( Yes, I said it).

We have to start looking inwards it is simple economics.
See you av to bring in Oil . .We are short changed in oil but the budget is almost double that of oil boom , spot the difference in foolishness yet??
Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by erico2k2(m): 2:20pm On Dec 29, 2016
APCmyheart:

Tell your brother to stop bombing pipelines.
Ahah these guys are funny . Don't believe everything you read in the news . Do you know who now hold the contract for securing the pipelines ?
Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by rusher14: 2:21pm On Dec 29, 2016
erico2k2:

See you av to bring in Oil . .We are short changed in oil but the budget is almost double that of oil boom , spot the difference in foolishness yet??

Do you understand we have also devalued our Naira?

Your analysis could be better if only you operate without bias.

1 Like

Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by erico2k2(m): 2:23pm On Dec 29, 2016
APCmyheart:

Yes we are importing salt can oyu imagine, The duty should be raised to 100%
Have you ever been to a salt factory ? Have you seen what crude salt looks like ? ?
Re: Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods by porozhniy(m): 2:26pm On Dec 29, 2016
APCmyheart:

Sorry that source alone make me no even want to click it..
it's your choice, but pls stop insinuating that Nigeria didn't produce rice prior to the birth of this Administration.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Start Your Own Business Today / Remittance: CBN Raises BDC Exchange Rate To N385/$ / Daily FX Turnover Jumps To Record $857 Million As Naira Gains Momentum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.