Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,720 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:58 PM

Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. (18504 Views)

I'm Ready To Sue One Of The Biggest Private Hospital In Lagos / Coronavirus: Body Of Nigerian Nurse In US Removed From Her Home (Video) / Nigeria Has Less Than 500 Ventilators For Coronavirus Patients - Punch Newspaper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by Hopez456(m): 7:51am On Dec 31, 2016
It is high time the so called mainstream media outfits are taught lessons. They have reduced the highly revered profession of journalism to blogging. Any beer parlour gist makes headlines these days.
Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by deebee13(f): 7:53am On Dec 31, 2016
Space for sale
Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by Mickey7(m): 8:20am On Dec 31, 2016
he'll fail in court. the law of defamation doesn't work that way. there is no defamation here at all. the defamatory words must be addressed to the person purporting defamation.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by Ten12(m): 8:21am On Dec 31, 2016
In as much as in dis part of de world most print media houses are as quack as de nurses in question I was wondering, mr chiedu what step has de nurse as a professional body taken to stem activities of the quack once as u acknowledged dey exist

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by Afu84(m): 8:24am On Dec 31, 2016
The mother professional body(NANNM) should equally threaten a Nationwide strike should punch newspaper refuses to meet the demands in 14days. Let the Nigeria society start seeing how indispensable the Nursing Profession is, cos it appears if you aren't a doctor, the health sector is devoid of meaningful professionals. Proudly Nigerian Male Nurse.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by buffalowings: 8:28am On Dec 31, 2016
RichYoungNigger:

This is what happens when you decide to drop out of school in primary 6 and be a zombie for the rest of your life

I'm a male Nigerian nurse and i know thousands of male Nigerian nurses

I will buy you a brand new used brain
Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by AgentGoat: 8:33am On Dec 31, 2016
RichYoungNigger:

This is what happens when you decide to drop out of school in primary 6 and be a zombie for the rest of your life

When do you become a nurse?
Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by Nobody: 8:39am On Dec 31, 2016
Even if Punch fails to publish an apology, the subsequent lawsuit against them will be essentially a waste of time.

This is because the nurse in question has no standing to sue on behalf of himself and/or others because he wasn't personally injured by the newspaper's alleged defamatory stories against Nigerian nurses.

No single Punch story mentioned him in a negative light with regard to his professional duties as a nurse; so I fully expect the judge to throw out the lawsuit.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by RichYoungNigger(m): 8:41am On Dec 31, 2016
AgentGoat:
When do you become a nurse?

When ??

Why do you ask ??
Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by Afu84(m): 8:42am On Dec 31, 2016
Mickey7:
he'll fail in court. the law of defamation doesn't work that way. there is no defamation here at all. the defamatory words must be addressed to the person purporting defamation.
If someone damages your reputation by way of slander or libel, you may have grounds to sue for defamation. "Slander" is the crime of making a false, spoken statement damaging a person’s reputation."Libel" is a false published, written statement damaging a person’s reputation. Some states combine libel and slander claims under the umbrella term “defamation.” Other states still distinguish between the two, requiring the appropriate civil suit for the respective offense. so whatever state Nigeria claims to be,,,punch newspaper is culpable. And just to address your submission further, here are steps to consider when filling for defamation as equally captured by plaintiff in this case:
1Analyze the statement.Decide if the statement made against you falls into the category of slander, libel, or the blanket category of defamation.
2Prove that the statement was published. Published statements make a better case when seeking damages because you can more easily prove the mass exposure of the statement. Legally, "published" refers to information heard by a third party outside yourself and the defamer.
3. Prove the statement was false.A defamatory statement must actually be false. If true, you don't have grounds to sue.
4 Prove that the statement caused injury.You must show that the statement harmed you in a concrete way. Assess how the statement affected you. Determine whether you can prove that your life changed for the worse because people believed the statement and now view you differently.
5. Determine if the statement is protected by “absolute privilege.” In some legal situations, people are asked to make statements without having to worry that they will get sued for defamation. Such statements are protected by “absolute privilege.” For example, a witness could testify falsely in court and the statement may have the same consequences as any other defamatory statement, but that witness is protected by absolute privilege. Is punch under such privilege in this instance?
6. 7Determine if the statement is protected by “qualified privilege.” In some circumstances,people have a right to make a particular statement. Such statements are considered “qualified privileged.” For example,statements by an employer about whether a former employee is fit to perform a new job may be protected by the qualified privilege. Are Nigerian Nurses employees of Punch?
Proudly Nigerian Male Nurse.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by opson2016(m): 8:48am On Dec 31, 2016
This is an old old story. This story was published on nursing world on August 18, 2015

Haba!

Old , stale story of more than a year.

How did this made front page on nairaland?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by Afu84(m): 8:53am On Dec 31, 2016
CFCman:
Even if Punch fails to publish an apology, the subsequent lawsuit against them will be essentially a waste of time.

This is because the nurse in question has no standing to sue on behalf of himself and/or others because he wasn't personally injured by the newspaper's alleged defamatory stories against Nigerian nurses.

No single Punch story mentioned him in a negative light with regard to his professional duties as a nurse; so I fully expect the judge to throw out the lawsuit.
Incase you are a legal practitioner, it only highlights why and where our judicial system is today,,,,,u claimed he lacks the locu standi to file for a sue? Isn't he a Nigerian Nurse? and doubted the injury caused him by this publication? it makes me wanna throw up. you are a corrupt person. Do you know that, parts of these publications are responsible for why people like you come to the hospital and look down on Nurses who stand by your bed to ensure you still inhale oxygen and come out of coma. Anyways,,,let me allow you continue with your evil practice.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by Rainmaker69(m): 9:06am On Dec 31, 2016
Defamation is a personal action and not class-based. If they didn't mention his name, then he might find himself in a sticky pickle in court.
Punch kwa... All professions are suffering in Nigeria. The media died a long time ago.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by folasayolyn(f): 9:07am On Dec 31, 2016
RichYoungNigger:

Seriously, he's got air btw the ears
Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by Rainmaker69(m): 9:18am On Dec 31, 2016
Afu84:

Incase you are a legal practitioner, it only highlights why and where our judicial system is today,,,,,u claimed he lacks the locu standi to file for a sue? Isn't he a Nigerian Nurse? and doubted the injury caused him by this publication? it makes me wanna throw up. you are a corrupt person. Do you know that, parts of these publications are responsible for why people like you come to the hospital and look down on Nurses who stand by your bed to ensure you still inhale oxygen and come out of coma. Anyways,,,let me allow you continue with your evil practice.

Haba! There's no need for this personal attack. The person just gave a legal opinion on the issues. If someone insults Nigerians, legally speaking, no 1 person can sue. That's locus standi.
Also bear in mind that all professions have bad eggs. If you jam some nurses... I have had the opportunity to see European nurses and Nigerian nurses in action. Save for a few, I generally have had bad experiences with the latter.
Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by Nobody: 9:28am On Dec 31, 2016
Afu84:

I'm only a student of the law. To bring a lawsuit on libel or slander (jointly called defamation, an individual has to show that s(he) suffered a personal injury to his/her reputation due to a false publication or verbal statement by another entity.

Now, the affected individual who is bringing the cause of action, also has to show that the alleged false statement was specifically addressed to him. So, if I say nurse Jide Fabiyi steaks patients' medication, he will have the standing to sue me for defamation if he can prove that my statement injured his reputation, and was false.

But if I say "all Nigerian nurses engage in occultic practices while at work", no single Nigerian nurse would have the standing to sue because I didn't mention a particular nurse in my statement.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by Jacko1(m): 9:37am On Dec 31, 2016
Punch do not back down

Nurses in. Nigeria are horrible

All of dem.... One no escape
Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by OHCOMEON: 9:56am On Dec 31, 2016
If you are driving a car you are a driver weda you have a license or not, so If you are work in a care home & acting as a nurse, you are a nurse. Stop the quakes not the reporter.
Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by cybriz82(m): 10:22am On Dec 31, 2016
Atiku2019:
God Bless All Nurses who work close to 12hours a day and even have to leave their Matrimonial beds at Nights to work and attend to patients... cool

May God also heal all the Sick in Our Hospitals. Give them the strength to stand on their feet as we enter a New Year 2017.

Happy New Year in Advance to all Nairalanders cool

no ooo dey shudnt live der matrimonial bed cus na all nurse dn marry abi?sun nurse are heartless...n i wonder most of dem dnt live with der husband once dem dn hammer.
Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by wiloy2k8(m): 10:23am On Dec 31, 2016
Afu84:

If someone damages your reputation by way of slander or libel, you may have grounds to sue for defamation. "Slander" is the crime of making a false, spoken statement damaging a person’s reputation."Libel" is a false published, written statement damaging a person’s reputation. Some states combine libel and slander claims under the umbrella term “defamation.” Other states still distinguish between the two, requiring the appropriate civil suit for the respective offense. so whatever state Nigeria claims to be,,,punch newspaper is culpable. And just to address your submission further, here are steps to consider when filling for defamation as equally captured by plaintiff in this case:
1Analyze the statement.Decide if the statement made against you falls into the category of slander, libel, or the blanket category of defamation.
2Prove that the statement was published. Published statements make a better case when seeking damages because you can more easily prove the mass exposure of the statement. Legally, "published" refers to information heard by a third party outside yourself and the defamer.
3. Prove the statement was false.A defamatory statement must actually be false. If true, you don't have grounds to sue.
4 Prove that the statement caused injury.You must show that the statement harmed you in a concrete way. Assess how the statement affected you. Determine whether you can prove that your life changed for the worse because people believed the statement and now view you differently.
5. Determine if the statement is protected by “absolute privilege.” In some legal situations, people are asked to make statements without having to worry that they will get sued for defamation. Such statements are protected by “absolute privilege.” For example, a witness could testify falsely in court and the statement may have the same consequences as any other defamatory statement, but that witness is protected by absolute privilege. Is punch under such privilege in this instance?
6. 7Determine if the statement is protected by “qualified privilege.” In some circumstances,people have a right to make a particular statement. Such statements are considered “qualified privileged.” For example,statements by an employer about whether a former employee is fit to perform a new job may be protected by the qualified privilege. Are Nigerian Nurses employees of Punch?

there is nothing false there .
Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by desy24444(m): 12:27pm On Dec 31, 2016
This publication is one too many..its high time we took a bold step to show these people what we are made of.
Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by yedidiah(m): 1:47pm On Dec 31, 2016
But to be truthful, most nurses that I know of or have encountered, are rude and unsympathetic.
Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by Nobody: 2:32pm On Dec 31, 2016
gentlekeny:

hahahahahaha!!! grin grin grin grin grin

In the words of Prof. Wole Soyinka " I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles"

cheesy
Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by Mickey7(m): 8:59am On Jan 02, 2017
Afu84:

Afu84:

Afu84:

lol quit displaying your ignorance of how the law works. don't comment on issues you know nothing about.
Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by Mickey7(m): 9:05am On Jan 02, 2017
CFCman:

I'm only a student of the law. To bring a lawsuit on libel or slander (jointly called defamation, an individual has to show that s(he) suffered a personal injury to his/her reputation due to a false publication or verbal statement by another entity.

Now, the affected individual who is bringing the cause of action, also has to show that the alleged false statement was specifically addressed to him. So, if I say nurse Jide Fabiyi steaks patients' medication, he will have the standing to sue me for defamation if he can prove that my statement injured his reputation, and was false.

But if I say "all Nigerian nurses engage in occultic practices while at work", no single Nigerian nurse would have the standing to sue because I didn't mention a particular nurse in my statement.
you've done well. it's like a lawyer waking up to sue because someone said all lawyers are liars. besides no one called nurses quacks. the guy just drew an unreasonable meaning from those headlines. You'd have thought his lawyer would advise him better

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by Nobody: 9:14am On Jan 02, 2017
Mickey7:
you've done well. it's like a lawyer waking up to sue because someone said all lawyers are liars. besides no one called nurses quacks. the guy just drew an unreasonable meaning from those headlines. You'd have thought his lawyer would advise him better

It's a shame that his attorney is only interested in the nurse's money. Attorneys are also required to be counselors to their clients, giving them professional opinions on the possibility of prevailing in a cause of action and whether clients have legal standing in the first place.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications. by lanxebony(m): 12:37pm On Jan 03, 2017
Nursing is not meant for those girls you see in your street wearing white and putting pens of different colors in their breast pocket.
Nursing is a science, and all the public display of bad images about nurses should be sanctioned.
Those publication house and media needs to be sued

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lady Loses Friend At LUTH Because There Was No Bed Space And Consultants / Nigeria Gets Medical Supplies From Dubai Ruler, Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum / 8 Interesting Facts About Dentists And Teeth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.