Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,508 members, 7,801,335 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:57 PM

Nigeria And Tribalism - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigeria And Tribalism (2663 Views)

Nigeria and tribalism / Hatred And Tribalism On Nairaland / When Will Our Parents Stop Tribalism Will It Ever Stop In Nigeria??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria And Tribalism by donbrowser(m): 5:38am On Dec 31, 2016
ABBA A. MOHAMMAD

Shaytan said “I am better than him, you created me out of fire and you created him (Adam) out of clay.” But now in Nigeria tribalism has become a force that is more powerful than nuclear bombs. Tribalism feeds terrorism. What is happening in Niger Delta or happened with OPC or Bakasi and Boko Haram is unfortunately an expression of a wider and deeper tribalism. The selection of public office holders that have plunged the country into darkness is a twin brother of tribalism in the government circle. In Nigeria, you will find people in high places dolling out contracts to inept contractors because of tribal affinity instead of genuine qualification.

As I write, Nigeria’s Presidency is “handed down” to people who do not even understand what Nigeria’s problems are, let alone knowing how to solve them all because they belong to privileged regions or tribes and I am not a believer that Government has the solution to all problems; a country should be like a mother to all its citizens, she must provide a level playing field for all so that those who work hard and play by the rules can be rewarded accordingly.

A country should not make some to work extra-ordinarily hard just to get by while some are virtually given the key to the government coffers to enrich themselves at will. This is one of the major reasons why Nigeria is yet to achieve a true “one Nigeria.” It was tribalism that indirectly engendered the Nigerian civil war and indirectly gives birth to the present evil called “quota system” and step brother called “state of origin.” These are direct product and consciously designed out of mediocrity to model the destruction of Nigeria. This fuelled the growth of National inequality and anger of perceived injustice. One of the unfortunate characteristics of tribalism is this unnecessary competition with other tribes. The Yoruba becomes “us” and the Igbo’s and Hausa becomes “them”. This in truth is what led to most of our problems and in turn it leads to the most evil of Nigeria traits – religious clashes. The belief in the superiority of one tribe and the weakness of others has led to various untold number of wars in Nigeria.

To prove superiority and to consider other tribes inferior is actually evil, as Islam teachers that all human beings are equal in the eyes of the Creator despite tribal differences. “Oh mankind We created you from a single (pair) of a male and female and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know each other (not that you may despise each other), verily the most honoured of you in the sight of God is the most righteous of you” (Qur’an 49:13). The holy prophet (S.A.W) peace be upon him said “whoever calls for tribalism/nationalism is not of us”. Also, there is no doubt that the bible also made references to tribalism, when Apostle Paul wrote to the people of Corinth, warning them” if there is jealousy or rivalry or schism among you, are you not flesh and behaving according to the way of the flesh? Because when someone says, I am of Paul and another, I am of Apollo’s, are you not fleshly? Who is Paul and who is Apollo? They are servants through whom you believed. Let no one take pride in people for everything is yours, Paul, Apollo’s… but as you, you are of Christ and Christ is of God. “ (1 covinthans 3:3 – 5, 21 – 22, 23).

Unfortunately we all know that many people from around the world most especially in Nigeria, use tribe for the wrong reasons thus tribalism becomes a dangerous disease in our father land, Nigeria.

Due to this reasons, I think it is time for us to accept that responsibility to other tribes, this is being used. We all have common destiny whether from the north, the south, the east or the west. The realization to the fact that we are all victims of economic imperialism and foreign vested interests should prompt and persuade us to educate ourselves by all means of the need for oneness of Nigeria, and realize that geography is no barrier to national cooperation and mutual understanding.

We are all Nigerians. Long live Nigeria. Long live people of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria And Tribalism by chiefolododo(m): 5:48am On Dec 31, 2016
Ororororo, arararara
Re: Nigeria And Tribalism by LarryBeryl(m): 6:30am On Dec 31, 2016
The development of the society starts from the household, mere citizens do not help matters too.
Re: Nigeria And Tribalism by onward4life(m): 7:26am On Dec 31, 2016
Yes nice

Op just in case lemme drop my verse real quick! Am going in!!!!

Tribalism will continue to thrive profitably in Nigeria.
because some folks got jobs through it.
Majority of the officials appointed in this this current dispensation was because of their tribe region and Religion .

That's the new face of corruption if yu ask me!

Now let's take Nairaland for an example.

Now the ppo we called hausa,Ibos and yoruba are Actually some tribes too scared to mention their tribes online. And prefer to be Minority even online.

Dnt they have Bayelsa, Edo, Delta, Akwa ibom, Igalas, Beroms, Eggons etc with Smart Phones and Data. Yes there are.

But they come they take sides with tribal ethno religious bias. Some claiming they came from the North some say they came from the west. Laffing..

They all came to you because of Westernisation ooooo

Some usually ignite fight for the Yorubas and the Igbos to burn down.

They were suppose to be the Big brothers of the South. But see their life nah. No problem we they even Jolly tu day Self.

**dancing Python Dance @the Moment**

#Proudly_Bendel

Re: Nigeria And Tribalism by donbrowser(m): 9:40am On Dec 31, 2016
onward4life:
Yes nice

Op just in case lemme drop my verse real quick! Am going in!!!!

Tribalism will continue to thrive profitably in Nigeria.
because some folks got jobs through it.
Majority of the officials appointed in this this current dispensation was because of their tribe region and Religion .

That's the new face of corruption if yu ask me!

Now let's take Nairaland for an example.

Now the ppo we called hausa,Ibos and yoruba are Actually some tribes too scared to mention their tribes online. And prefer to be Minority even online.

Dnt they have Bayelsa, Edo, Delta, Akwa ibom, Igalas, Beroms, Eggons etc with Smart Phones and Data. Yes there are.

But they come they take sides with tribal ethno religious bias. Some claiming they came from the North some say they came from the west. Laffing..

They all came to you because of Westernisation ooooo

Some usually ignite fight for the Yorubas and the Igbos to burn down.

They were suppose to be the Big brothers of the South. But see their life nah. No problem we they even Jolly tu day Self.

**dancing Python Dance @the Moment**

#Proudly_Bendel
I could pick some important and valuable points in your contribution but majority of people believe that Tribalism cannot be conquered but as far as nairaland is concerned, i have won over 4 tribal cases.
Though i believe tribalism is an addiction which is difficult to stop but other people can counters these tribalists and discourage them from continous spread of this deadly disease then we will have a nairaland almost free of people seeing eachother as flat heads, afonjas, ipob etc.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria And Tribalism by donbrowser(m): 9:42am On Dec 31, 2016
LarryBeryl:
The development of the society starts from the household, mere citizens do not help matters too.
See Nairaland as a society too. If we bury Tribalism here on Nairaland, dont you think the outside Nigeria will be affected too?
Re: Nigeria And Tribalism by onward4life(m): 2:24pm On Dec 31, 2016
donbrowser:

I could pick some important and valuable points in your contribution but majority of people believe that Tribalism cannot be conquered but as far as nairaland is concerned, i have won over 4 tribal cases.
Though i believe tribalism is an addiction which is difficult to stop but other people can counters these tribalists and discourage them from continous spread of this deadly disease then we will have a nairaland almost free of people seeing eachother as flat heads, afonjas, ipob etc.

It's easy to do away with tribalism. It a tin of the mind. I av been a crusade about tribal ethno religious tweets the moment my plane touched down Nairaland.
Step1:

Yu felt a. Very warm feeling after humiliating that fellow. Haw wud yu if d same is been done to yu. Feels Baddest abi. Hence Revenge I a beach(elegusi ooo)

Solution #stopit
Re: Nigeria And Tribalism by LarryBeryl(m): 11:17am On Jan 05, 2017
donbrowser:

See Nairaland as a society too. If we bury Tribalism here on Nairaland, dont you think the outside Nigeria will be affected too?

Indeed.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria And Tribalism by tck2000(m): 7:11pm On Dec 14, 2019
God help us

(1) (Reply)

Bride Price In Igboland, Mbaise As A Case Study / How I Bought My Wife / Name Your Favourite Igbo Musics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.