Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,630 members, 7,801,822 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:36 AM

Why Nigeria Cannot Move Out Of Recession By CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigeria Cannot Move Out Of Recession By CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele (1009 Views)

Governor Godwin Obaseki Swears In 19 Female Aides - Pictures / Why Nigeria Cannot Be Restructured – IPOB / Nigerians Protest At CBN Office Over Bad Policies Of Gov Godwin Emefiele (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigeria Cannot Move Out Of Recession By CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele by KingstonDome: 1:26pm On Dec 31, 2016
This should be passed around until it sinks into our heads. The Nigerian CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele talked about the Nigerian Economy and was quoted saying,

“It is either I do not understand economics and how exchange rates work or a vast majority of us Nigerians still don’t get how we have wrecked our country with our own curious choices.
Just this morning, I was listening to the radio and the lady on air went on and on about how she thought CBN governor, Godwin Emefiele was incompetent and should be sacked because the Naira was now exchanging at 309 or so to the USD.

“That view pretty much echoes the sentiments expressed by many people I know and it amazes me that there are Nigerians who actually think there is some magic POLICY that can make the Naira strong in the near term. If my economics and my understanding of the way the world works are right, then that is as far from the truth as Jesus Christ is black.

“The simple fact of the matter is that apart from oil that accounts for over 90% of our revenues, we really don’t have much of an economy. We hardly
produce anything, we import even toothpicks, so exactly what policy is going to be implemented that will turn Nigeria into a top exporting
economy in the near term? Where are our Apples, IBMs, Disneys, GMs, General Electrics, Coca Colas, Empire State buildings, Statues of Liberties, Lockheeds, Citibanks, JP Morgans,
ExxonMobils, NBAs, Super Bowls etc? Let me bring that closer home.

“There was a time long ago when Nigeria had a truly strong economy and the naira was one to the dollar – even exchanged for higher than the USD, but that Nigeria is not this Nigeria. Sadly that Nigeria was laid by the British, and this Nigeria (if you don’t believe in the nonsensical imperialist conspiracies like me) – fueled by the DAMAGING Indigenization Decree, has been the
creation of us Nigerians. Back then we had a booming economy. We were either the top, or among the top
exporters, of timbre, cocoa, groundnuts, rubber, palm oil, etc, in the world. Nigerians not only holidayed at home in their villages, at Yankari
Games Reserve, at Obudu Cattle Ranch, at Oguta Lake, at Ikogosi springs, at Gurara Falls, at Mambilla Platueau, etc, we attracted international
tourists who brought in loads of foreign exchange. Even Nigerian schools were foreign exchange earners because they attracted foreign students.

“We had different car assembly plants – Peugeot, Volkswagen, Anamco etc. Nigerian government officials only bought vehicles assembled in Nigeria for official cars. We had a thriving sports
industry. We were not Man United or Chelsea fans, we were Rangers or IICC fans. We had the
Nduka Odizors, people made money from sports. We also had companies like Lennards and Bata producing school shoes in their thousands, we had the thriving Nigerian Airways and the Aviation School in the north that produced some of the best pilots in the world. In those days if you were
brilliant you were respected much more than the crass money-miss-road contractors of today. Most of the Aje Butters I knew had fathers who
were university dons. Back then it meant something to ‘know book’. Our textile industry was alive and well. Just recently I watched a news report on the textile industry in Nigeria on
CCTV News. Though the main focus was on the comatose status of the industry, I was stunned by the gigantic Kaduna Textile Mill built in 1957. I
could go on and on. “Today however, no thanks to our parents (and
we must call them out the way Wole Soyinka did his generation) and many of us (and we should be remembered for failing our children if we
continue like this), we have destroyed everything.
Today for instance Nigerian football (which comes easy to me obviously) doesn’t appeal to us, we have to fly across thousands of miles to watch ‘our’ clubs play. Every year we collectively burn billions of Naira being fans of clubs that give us nothing back, but some ‘entertainment value’ – simple pleasures for which we are ready to destroy the future of our children.

Continue reading at [url]kingstondome..com.ng/2016/12/why-nigeria-cannot-move-out-of.html?m=1[/url]
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Move Out Of Recession By CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele by KingstonDome: 1:28pm On Dec 31, 2016
KingstonDome:
This should be passed around until it sinks into our heads. The Nigerian CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele talked about the Nigerian Economy and was quoted saying,

“It is either I do not understand economics and how exchange rates work or a vast majority of us Nigerians still don’t get how we have wrecked our country with our own curious choices.
Just this morning, I was listening to the radio and the lady on air went on and on about how she thought CBN governor, Godwin Emefiele was incompetent and should be sacked because the Naira was now exchanging at 309 or so to the USD.

“That view pretty much echoes the sentiments expressed by many people I know and it amazes me that there are Nigerians who actually think there is some magic POLICY that can make the Naira strong in the near term. If my economics and my understanding of the way the world works are right, then that is as far from the truth as Jesus Christ is black.

“The simple fact of the matter is that apart from oil that accounts for over 90% of our revenues, we really don’t have much of an economy. We hardly
produce anything, we import even toothpicks, so exactly what policy is going to be implemented that will turn Nigeria into a top exporting
economy in the near term? Where are our Apples, IBMs, Disneys, GMs, General Electrics, Coca Colas, Empire State buildings, Statues of Liberties, Lockheeds, Citibanks, JP Morgans,
ExxonMobils, NBAs, Super Bowls etc? Let me bring that closer home.

“There was a time long ago when Nigeria had a truly strong economy and the naira was one to the dollar – even exchanged for higher than the USD, but that Nigeria is not this Nigeria. Sadly that Nigeria was laid by the British, and this Nigeria (if you don’t believe in the nonsensical imperialist conspiracies like me) – fueled by the DAMAGING Indigenization Decree, has been the
creation of us Nigerians. Back then we had a booming economy. We were either the top, or among the top
exporters, of timbre, cocoa, groundnuts, rubber, palm oil, etc, in the world. Nigerians not only holidayed at home in their villages, at Yankari
Games Reserve, at Obudu Cattle Ranch, at Oguta Lake, at Ikogosi springs, at Gurara Falls, at Mambilla Platueau, etc, we attracted international
tourists who brought in loads of foreign exchange. Even Nigerian schools were foreign exchange earners because they attracted foreign students.

“We had different car assembly plants – Peugeot, Volkswagen, Anamco etc. Nigerian government officials only bought vehicles assembled in Nigeria for official cars. We had a thriving sports
industry. We were not Man United or Chelsea fans, we were Rangers or IICC fans. We had the
Nduka Odizors, people made money from sports. We also had companies like Lennards and Bata producing school shoes in their thousands, we had the thriving Nigerian Airways and the Aviation School in the north that produced some of the best pilots in the world. In those days if you were
brilliant you were respected much more than the crass money-miss-road contractors of today. Most of the Aje Butters I knew had fathers who
were university dons. Back then it meant something to ‘know book’. Our textile industry was alive and well. Just recently I watched a news report on the textile industry in Nigeria on
CCTV News. Though the main focus was on the comatose status of the industry, I was stunned by the gigantic Kaduna Textile Mill built in 1957. I
could go on and on. “Today however, no thanks to our parents (and
we must call them out the way Wole Soyinka did his generation) and many of us (and we should be remembered for failing our children if we
continue like this), we have destroyed everything.
Today for instance Nigerian football (which comes easy to me obviously) doesn’t appeal to us, we have to fly across thousands of miles to watch ‘our’ clubs play. Every year we collectively burn billions of Naira being fans of clubs that give us nothing back, but some ‘entertainment value’ – simple pleasures for which we are ready to destroy the future of our children.

Continue reading at [url]kingstondome..com.ng/2016/12/why-nigeria-cannot-move-out-of.html?m=1[/url]

Cc: Mynd44, OAM4J, lalatiscla
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Move Out Of Recession By CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele by slimfit1(m): 1:35pm On Dec 31, 2016
There you go please if you have anything else please add to it.
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Move Out Of Recession By CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele by sammyj: 2:29pm On Dec 31, 2016
The same people who caused the recession are same people still managing the CBN. This can only happen in Nigeria! !

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Move Out Of Recession By CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele by Eastactivist: 4:27pm On Dec 31, 2016
sammyj:
The same people who caused the recession are same people still managing the CBN. This can only happen in Nigeria! !

What can you boast of that you've produced?
My friend just commot there make we see reasonable comments.

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Move Out Of Recession By CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele by schoolmaster: 5:07pm On Dec 31, 2016
well said, but as d CBN gov wat is d way forward. I mean advise to d President your boss.
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Move Out Of Recession By CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele by KingstonDome: 9:04am On Jan 17, 2017
schoolmaster:
well said, but as d CBN gov wat is d way forward. I mean advise to d President your boss.

Lalasticlala
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Move Out Of Recession By CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele by ckmayoca: 9:09am On Jan 17, 2017
How is that my fault oga? Na me dey power?

(1) (Reply)

JUST IN!!! Ikpeazu In Fresh Trouble Over Orji Uzor Kalu's Pension / NAF Contigent Arrive Dakar For The Task Of Removing Rebel Jammeh(pics) / Outrage As Indian-packaged Garri Sells In Nigeria - Punch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.