Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,031 members, 7,807,056 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:02 AM

Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 (3668 Views)

Please Help, Honda Accord EOD Acceleration Problem.i Need Solution / 2019 BMW X5 Unveiled (Photos And Details) / Driver Calls 911 While Going 100mph After His BMW X5's Throttle Gets Stuck (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by deen4real7902: 7:25am On Jan 01, 2017
My BMW is not picking up, the acceleration very slow, even if it picked up, it can't accelerate more than 60km/h. When it was diagnosed, it's showing throttle issue, it has been serviced, changed the fuel pump, change the throttle but it is still giving same problem. Please any expert or idea to help resolve this?
Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by mayor2013: 8:33am On Jan 01, 2017
deen4real7902:
My BMW is not picking up, the acceleration very slow, even if it picked up, it can't accelerate more than 60km/h. When it was diagnosed, it's showing throttle issue, it has been serviced, changed the fuel pump, change the throttle but it is still giving same problem. Please any expert or idea to help resolve this?

A proper diagnosis should be carried out. Where was the scan result given to you? So many morr test would reveal what ever is going on. Call multi autolab for your bmw solution if in lagos. 08165520837 or 08156087872
Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by Easyguy2k: 6:06am On Jan 04, 2017
What codes was displayed when scanned ? Drivability issues can be frustrating and proper diagnosis is required. Check condition of your spark plugs and wires and do proper tune up.
Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by yungboss(m): 8:33am On Jan 04, 2017
Your presentation isn't too clear. "showing throttle issue..." cannot be fully understood by a third party (us readers). is it the Throttle Position Sensor itself or the Throttle Body? two different things. also check the pin socket going into the unit to ensure it is properly secured.

Good luck!
Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by AutosBay(m): 11:52am On Jan 05, 2017
Call 08181259891 if you reside in Lagos we could help you resolve it
Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by deen4real7902: 7:13am On Jan 08, 2017
Thanks, it has been solved, the fault is from the catalyst, panel beater people corrected it.
Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by nurey(m): 10:26am On Jan 08, 2017
deen4real7902:
Thanks, it has been solved, the fault is from the catalyst, panel beater people corrected it.

Your solution lacks weight and proper presentation.

What was done to the catalyst? We need to know, how it was resolved and possible cause of damage given by the engineer. So others can learn from it.

As you said it's catalyst if it was removed, then you only have to contend with high fuel consumption, if it was blocked with rubbish then start a savings account cause the engine will go kaput like atomic bomb falling on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

The recommended solution to catalyst is outright replacement

1 Like

Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by Kashif(m): 11:53am On Jan 08, 2017
nurey:

Your solution lacks weight and proper presentation.

What was done to the catalyst? We need to know, how it was resolved and possible cause of damage given by the engineer. So others can learn from it.

As you said it's catalyst if it was removed, then you only have to contend with high fuel consumption,
if it was blocked with rubbish then start a savings account cause the engine will go kaput like atomic bomb falling on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

The recommended solution to catalyst is outright replacement

The bolded is not correct.
Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by nurey(m): 12:35pm On Jan 08, 2017
Kashif:

The bolded is not correct.

What I mean is removing catalyst and soldering the exhaust straight with empty pipe, without use of spacers. So am I still correct or wrong?
Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by Kashif(m): 1:32pm On Jan 08, 2017
nurey:

What I mean is removing catalyst and soldering the exhaust straight with empty pipe, without use of spacers. So am I still correct or wrong?

My point is that catalyst does not affect fuel consumption. Its job is emission control. O2 sensor spacer is secondary, which if not installed, will just trigger MIL.
Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by nurey(m): 3:53pm On Jan 08, 2017
Kashif:

My point is that catalyst does not affect fuel consumption. Its job is emission control. O2 sensor spacer is secondary, which if not installed, will just trigger MIL.

According to you, according to known fact it does affect fuel consumption. Even I know that as one of my car has catalyst missing and the fuel consumption is greater a 2000 civic to be precise.

It's what I have experience am saying
Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by yungboss(m): 5:47pm On Jan 08, 2017
deen4real7902:
good to know
Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by Kashif(m): 9:13pm On Jan 08, 2017
nurey:

According to you, according to known fact it does affect fuel consumption. Even I know that as one of my car has catalyst missing and the fuel consumption is greater a 2000 civic to be precise.

Catalysts only convert carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide. That is the known fact. If your car without catalyst is guzzling fuel, something else is responsible. Have it checked.
Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by nurey(m): 9:35pm On Jan 08, 2017
Kashif:

Catalysts only convert carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide. That is the known fact. If your car without catalyst is guzzling fuel, something else is responsible. Have it checked.

I know that is the major work, but did you also know removing catalyst improves engine power may not be noticeable in small engines but it is noticeable in big engines.

Quotes from a certified engineer. What is the effect of removing catalyst

"Your car will run pretty rough. I would imagine your car was built after 1999, and so will have 2 lambda sensors. one before the catalyst, the other after (downstream). The downstream probe is designed to measure hydrocarbons AFTER the catalyst, which is now missing. Then it sends data back to your ECU, by which a fuel map is created. This will alter the duty cycle of your injectors (duration they remain open) thus regulating fuel use.
With your catalyst missing, your downstream lambda probe (Oxygen sensor) will feed your ECU wrong data, which will try to compensate your fuel trim. It will over fuel like mad. Too much fuel going into your cylinders, over a period of time, will cause engine damage, due to "bore wash". This is whereby excess fuel washes the vital oil lubrication from your cylinder bores, causing premature wear. Your engine will begin burning oil, resulting in high oil consumption, visible as blue smoke. Diluting petrol with oil will result in a very low octane, which couple with a hot operating environment, will cause detonation, which could lead to holes being blown into your piston crowns. Or worse, if severe enough, detonation occurring whilst your piston's on its compression stroke could bend a rod. This could cause a conrod and piston to smash through the side of your engine block.
So I'll ask you - is there any sensible reason to run your modern car without a catalyst? You honestly listen to your "mechanic" who thinks it's a good idea to delete it? Where did you hear removal of a catalyst decreases fuel consumption?

This is another link.
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071005173535AAaB28v

You may be right and you may be wrong because how it affects fuel consumption is actually cumbersome/complicated and not straight forward. But I noticed it affects the civic currently because I compared the consumption with an I4 06 Accord same distance but the way the civic fuel Guage moved is same as my V6 sienna.
Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by mayor2013: 11:08pm On Jan 08, 2017
nurey:

I know that is the major work, but did you also know removing catalyst improves engine power may not be noticeable in small engines but it is noticeable in big engines.

"Your car will run pretty rough. I would imagine your car was built after 1999, and so will have 2 lambda sensors. one before the catalyst, the other after (downstream). The downstream probe is designed to measure hydrocarbons AFTER the catalyst, which is now missing. Then it sends data back to your ECU, by which a fuel map is created. This will alter the duty cycle of your injectors (duration they remain open) thus regulating fuel use.
With your catalyst missing, your downstream lambda probe (Oxygen sensor) will feed your ECU wrong data, which will try to compensate your fuel trim. It will over fuel like mad. Too much fuel going into your cylinders, over a period of time, will cause engine damage, due to "bore wash". This is whereby excess fuel washes the vital oil lubrication from your cylinder bores, causing premature wear. Your engine will begin burning oil, resulting in high oil consumption, visible as blue smoke. Diluting petrol with oil will result in a very low octane, which couple with a hot operating environment, will cause detonation, which could lead to holes being blown into your piston crowns. Or worse, if severe enough, detonation occurring whilst your piston's on its compression stroke could bend a rod. This could cause a conrod and piston to smash through the side of your engine block.
So I'll ask you - is there any sensible reason to run your modern car without a catalyst? You honestly listen to your "mechanic" who thinks it's a good idea to delete it? Where did you hear removal of a catalyst decreases fuel consumption?

This is another link.

You may be right and you may be wrong because how it affects fuel consumption is actually cumbersome/complicated and not straight forward. But I noticed it affects the civic currently because I compared the consumption with an I4 06 Accord same distance but the way the civic fuel Guage moved is same as my V6 sienna.

You re absolutely correct. On contemporary cars. Would make car run rough
Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by Kashif(m): 7:31am On Jan 09, 2017
nurey:

This is another link.

I did not say removing converter improves economy either. I have been driving my car without catalyst for over two years, and the economy remains excellent. Only a slight exhaust howl. There was a time the economy got bad because a coil failed. Fixed it and the fuel trim returned to normal. Engine runs smoothly.

If your Civic dey chop fuel, check the cause. Do some volumetric efficiency test. See some answers in the link below (though I am not a fan of all these internet 'experts').

https://www.quora.com/How-true-is-it-that-a-catalytic-converter-reduces-the-fuel-consumption-in-a-car
Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by nurey(m): 7:50am On Jan 09, 2017
Kashif:

I did not say removing converter improves economy either. I have been driving my car without catalyst for over two years, and the economy remains excellent. Only a slight exhaust howl. There was a time the economy got bad because a coil failed. Fixed it and the fuel trim returned to normal. Engine runs smoothly.

If your Civic dey chop fuel, check the cause. Do some volumetric efficiency test. See some answers in the link below (though I am not a fan of all these internet 'experts').

https://www.quora.com/How-true-is-it-that-a-catalytic-converter-reduces-the-fuel-consumption-in-a-car

Yeah, that's why I said you may be right and you may be wrong. Seems it affects some cars and may be negligible in others.
Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by deen4real7902: 2:17pm On Jan 09, 2017
And like how much will it cost to replace a catalyst for BMW x5 3.0i 2003?
Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by dicksonadams(m): 6:53am On Jun 28, 2019
nurey:

I wanted to know if using a 02 space fixed P0420 and how was the fuel economy after installing
Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by nurey(m): 7:28am On Jun 28, 2019
dicksonadams:

I wanted to know if using a 02 space fixed P0420 and how was the fuel economy after installing

There is an O2 sensor before the catalyst and another after the catalyst. It all depends on what vehicle you talking about in particular. After catalyst removal you need the O2 spacer fixed in the straight pipe before you afix the O2 sensor on the spacer to fool the ECU and not throw the catalyst code.

As long as the catalyst code isn't detected after the bypass by the ECU fuel economy should be fine.
Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by dicksonadams(m): 8:18am On Jun 28, 2019
nurey:

There is an O2 sensor before the catalyst and another after the catalyst. It all depends on what vehicle you talking about in particular. After catalyst removal you need the O2 spacer fixed in the straight pipe before you afix the O2 sensor on the spacer to fool the ECU and not throw the catalyst code.

As long as the catalyst code isn't detected after the bypass by the ECU fuel economy should be fine.

Vehicle is Pontiac vibe 2005
Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by nurey(m): 8:30am On Jun 28, 2019
dicksonadams:

Vehicle is Pontiac vibe 2005

The vibe FWD or AWD has 2 catalyst, pre cat just by the engine manifold in the engine bay, and the main catalyst under, there is an O2 sensor after the main catalyst.

Whatever route you decide to go depends on whether you will fix O2 spacer or not. The vibe catalyst have been known to disintegrate at 2xx,xxxkm
Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by dicksonadams(m): 8:46am On Jun 28, 2019
nurey:

The vibe FWD or AWD has 2 catalyst, pre cat just by the engine manifold in the engine bay, and the main catalyst under, there is an O2 sensor after the main catalyst.

Whatever route you decide to go depends on whether you will fix O2 spacer or not. The vibe catalyst have been known to disintegrate at 2xx,xxxkm

Thanks boss, the error is P0420 something about bank 1 catalyst system efficiency below threshold.

It is vibe Is a FWD,

I will use the 02 spacer option, cause the bill I got for replacement was 120k-150k

While the spacer was 10k to 20k

As long as it will not have a negative effect on the car and fuel consumption.

Searching for a place to do it, I reside in oworkshoki Lagos
Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by nurey(m): 8:58am On Jun 28, 2019
dicksonadams:

Thanks boss, the error is P0420 something about bank 1 catalyst system efficiency below threshold.

It is vibe Is a FWD,

I will use the 02 spacer option, cause the bill I got for replacement was 120k-150k

O2 spacers per unit shouldn't exceed 10k nah and you need only 1 depending on the faulty catalyst.

Also read excerpts from online on cause of the code and check those things before you dump the issue wrongly on the catalyst converter

Oxygen Sensor – The P0420 codes is thrown when the oxygen sensors on both sides of the exhaust have very similar readings. When the oxygen sensor is bad, it can cause a false reading and trigger the code. If the engine does not exhibit any of the decreased performance associated with a bad catalytic converter, it very well may be the oxygen sensor (if you haven’t noticed the performance loss yet).

Catalytic Converter – A catalytic converter is responsible for scrubbing out as much pollution as possible from the Vibe’s exhaust. Over time, they can become clogged. Although, modern catalytic converters are supposed to last the life of most vehicles, it could be there is some underlying problem if it has clogged.

O2 Sensor Wiring – Over time, the oxygen sensor wiring can go bad. It is especially volatile since it is right next to the hot exhaust at all times. The downstream oxygen sensor wiring is especially volatile since it is so far from the ECM (more distance to travel.

Vibe Timing – If your Vibe is misfiring or the exhaust timing is off, this can affect the gasses that are actually going to the O2 sensors enough to cause the P0420 code to register.

Exhaust Leak – If there’s a noticeable exhaust leak coming from the vehicle it can change what the O2 sensors register enough to throw the P0420 code.
Engine Temp Sensor – If the computer doesn’t know what the engine temp is it’ll keep the fuel mixture rich. When the fuel mixture is rich, the exhaust the O2 sensors see will be out of
Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by dicksonadams(m): 9:16am On Jun 28, 2019
nurey:

O2 spacers per unit shouldn't exceed 10k nah and you need only 1 depending on the faulty catalyst.

Also read excerpts from online on cause of the code and check those things before you dump the issue wrongly on the catalyst converter

Oxygen Sensor – The P0420 codes is thrown when the oxygen sensors on both sides of the exhaust have very similar readings. When the oxygen sensor is bad, it can cause a false reading and trigger the code. If the engine does not exhibit any of the decreased performance associated with a bad catalytic converter, it very well may be the oxygen sensor (if you haven’t noticed the performance loss yet).

Catalytic Converter – A catalytic converter is responsible for scrubbing out as much pollution as possible from the Vibe’s exhaust. Over time, they can become clogged. Although, modern catalytic converters are supposed to last the life of most vehicles, it could be there is some underlying problem if it has clogged.

O2 Sensor Wiring – Over time, the oxygen sensor wiring can go bad. It is especially volatile since it is right next to the hot exhaust at all times. The downstream oxygen sensor wiring is especially volatile since it is so far from the ECM (more distance to travel.

Vibe Timing – If your Vibe is misfiring or the exhaust timing is off, this can affect the gasses that are actually going to the O2 sensors enough to cause the P0420 code to register.

Exhaust Leak – If there’s a noticeable exhaust leak coming from the vehicle it can change what the O2 sensors register enough to throw the P0420 code.
Engine Temp Sensor – If the computer doesn’t know what the engine temp is it’ll keep the fuel mixture rich. When the fuel mixture is rich, the exhaust the O2 sensors see will be out of

Hmmmm thanks boss, I will take it to autologic for full diagonistic on Saturday before any fix
Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by AshipaEk0: 8:45pm On Jun 28, 2019
dicksonadams:

It is vibe Is a FWD,

Is your catalyst blocked or just not working?

Cos it's 2 different things.

2ndly, is the mechanic proposing to take out all of the material or just.put a hole through it?

Smart people just put a hole through

Spacer is spark plugs adapter/extender it's nothing serious like that........

it costs $3 on AliExpress btw.

Beg the mechanic to have mercy on you. To unscrew downstream sensor and screw it back on spacer is nothing special.

Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by dicksonadams(m): 10:13pm On Jun 28, 2019
AshipaEk0:

Is your catalyst blocked or just not working?

Cos it's 2 different things.

2ndly, is the mechanic proposing to take out all of the material or just.put a hole through it?

Smart people just put a hole through

Spacer is spark plugs adapter/extender it's nothing serious like that........

it costs $3 on AliExpress btw.

Beg the mechanic to have mercy on you. To unscrew downstream sensor and screw it back on spacer is nothing special.

Them they see this kind thing buy for naija... Aliexpress be like 3 week to 1month order
Re: Acceleration Problem With BMW X5 3.0 2003 by AshipaEk0: 3:39am On Jun 29, 2019
dicksonadams:

Them they see this kind thing buy for naija... Aliexpress be like 3 week to 1month order

E dey well well.

Save the picture and show people selling parts in case description is hard. Nigerians have weird names for these things

(1) (Reply)

Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle / Pros & Cons Of Infiniti FX45 (2007-2008) / Problem With '07 Nissan Maxima Gear

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.