Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,295 members, 7,780,689 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:37 PM

Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 (67604 Views)

EFL Cup Semi Final: Hull City Vs Manchester United (2 - 1) On 26th January 2017 / Liverpool Vs Chelsea (1 - 1) On 31st January 2017 / AFC Bournemouth Vs Arsenal (3 - 3) On 3rd January 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by Eru009(m): 8:42am On Jan 05, 2017
LorDBolton:

It's so easy to analyse a match with the help of hindsight

At the bolded you'll loose a lot of matches as a coach If you don't study & understand your opponents well.

Spurs came with 2 DM's in dier n wanyama + a deep lying playmaker in dembele

NOTE: wany n demb are both very good box-to-box players

Fabregas has limited skill, strength, speed, tackling abilities to match these guys... so you would field him in an away match to spray pass? undecided

You now want to use dimunitive kante as a shield? Even at Leicester he had drinkwater to partner up with.

If Conte had gone with your thoughts, you'd still be mourning a loss & analysing his team selection.

Truth is on the day, spurs players wanted it more #simple

After all these were same boys (who gave ya'll a 2-1 win over spurs in november).

One of the most difficult decisions facing managers is 'changing' a winning team, which Is one of the criticisms of benitez coaching philosophy

Tottenham are a top team and he had to put forward his first team...they lost #simple

Don't over-analyse the situation
Correct guy, I beg tell am! Pple just come here and say which formation and players to use, meanwhile they have never coached a football game once in their life. 13 of 14 no be beans. Conte knows what he doing. Give credit.

Today, chelsea did not get to their usual attacking gears.
The height of moses and azpi was exploited. And it does not help if you a sniper in Erickson crossing the ball. Good win Tottenham.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:43am On Jan 05, 2017
Goandie:

why una like to shift goal post like dis eeeh e ni good at all.

LOLS.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by Nobody: 8:45am On Jan 05, 2017
england better return alli to Nigeria oooo!!! cry
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by Goandie: 8:47am On Jan 05, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

How many teams can not spend like Manchester City, Chelsea, Manchester United and do what Pochettino is doing. Why not add Espanyol and Southampton? If you like do not agree. With his resources, he is doing well. Those are cheap buys.
bro my point is that don't say d guy no spend moni coz he did nd him being successful now is due to d players he did not buy if I say make I shift post to like u.
the guy good but him no be genius at all him no fit reach that level coz there is nothing him don do for spurs wey harry rednap no do

1 Like

Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by Demmzy15(m): 9:01am On Jan 05, 2017
Rilwayne001:
Haffaze777 will not eat tonight grin grin grin
grin cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by oshiokpu(m): 9:03am On Jan 05, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I am strictly Guardiola man. I am just praising the good works of Pochettino. I am not disappointed in Guardiola in any way. We came fourth last season and I expect Guardiola to take time to fix the team. Especially with four full backs, Kolarov, Clichy, Zabaleta and Sagna over thirty.

But you dont expect mourinho to take time to fix a Man Utd team that finished outside the top 4 in 3 /4 seasons...the is hypocrisy at best and plain stupidity at worst
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:08am On Jan 05, 2017
oshiokpu:

But you dont expect mourinho to take time to fix a Man Utd team that finished outside the top 4 in 3 /4 seasons...the is hypocrisy at best and plain stupidity at worst

I honestly expect Mourinho to take time to fix the team. Just like I said people should give Klopp time. Mourinho had to fall back on Carrick because of lack of time to fix the midfield. This coaching job is not easy.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by LorDBolton(m): 9:09am On Jan 05, 2017
UrennaNkoli:

For all I care fabregas was the perfect choice for that game. There are certain matches you have to do the opposite of your opponent if you want to daze them and have any chance of winning that's why arsenal was never able to beat Barca in as many games during the days of tiki taka. Why ? Because arsenal kept playing their style and ask yourself why a team like Chelsea was able to handle Barcelona and tame them? Because we played the opposite of what they played. Fabregas might not have the speed or those things you are saying but he has those pinpoint passes and technique to locate any player from any part of the pitch and create the goals. Its coaches like you that will use two Mikel obi's because you want to face a Gatusso. There's always a way you can catch these people unawares.

Besides, conte has a bad reputation of tiring players, favoritism, using them till death until they start to wear off and get jaded. He did this in juventus where he used the same set of first eleven for twenty something games. He did such with the Italian national team also. I repeat and I'll say it again, I hate it when our first eleven is predictable even before the game starts. Just take a look at zouma, conte will never use that boy until he decides to move on with his career and better and funny enough, he's a better and solid option to Gary Cahill but favoritism will never let him play.

This is why I rarely follow my naija peeps discuss ball, ya'll funny

Lemme breakdown how ridiculous your statement was:

A)-- I mention 3 players (2 of em box to box mf) and u mention me hypothetically picking 2 mikel to combat 1 rhino?

If u know your football what can the rhino do in the opponents half? Is the rhino a box-to-box mf? Wasn't he a traditional DM/midfield destroyer)??

So why will I need 2 mikels? When they'd hardly 'meet' him on the field?
Thus ur example doesn't even correlate

2)-- if u think arsenal lost all those games to barca cos they played attacking football then u don't know much about football

Why then did they lose to bayern? Ac milan?

Everyone knows chelsea go to barca to defend, so what's the "surprise" there?? You think barca didn't train in anticipation of an ultra-defensive chelsea team??

Why doesn't chelsea surprise using an offensive formation na?
I'm sure barca will be soo shocked they'd be unable to cope and chelsea will thrash them 7-0?? undecided

C)-- fabregas can pass right? So pochettino will now tell his boys to allow him space to pick out a pass??
Won't poch put wanyama on him? And still have dier in reserve to cover for wanyama? In defence and support the attack during transitions While dembele is on hand to carry the ball 15-20yards with only kante in his way?

Thus you're left with spurs having an extra man in midfield (looking at the way chelsea are set up)

Lemme not go any further...you're arguing like a pundit not someone with tactical knowledge.

Conte isn't where he is today by behaving like a pundit

Poch and Klopp r also accused of tiring the players cos of their 'high pressing style

Their results is the only thing that matters.

QED
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by UrennaNkoli(f): 9:27am On Jan 05, 2017
LorDBolton:

This is why I rarely follow my naija peeps discuss ball, ya'll funny

Lemme breakdown how ridiculous your statement was:

A)-- I mention 3 players (2 of em box to box mf) and u mention me hypothetically picking 2 mikel to combat 1 rhino?

If u know your football what can the rhino do in the opponents half? Is the rhino a box-to-box mf? Wasn't he a traditional DM/midfield destroyer)??

So why will I need 2 mikels? When they'd hardly 'meet' him on the field?
Thus ur example doesn't even correlate

2)-- if u think arsenal lost all those games to barca cos they played attacking football then u don't know much about football

Why then did they lose to bayern? Ac milan?

Everyone knows chelsea go to barca to defend, so what's the "surprise" there?? You think barca didn't train in anticipation of an ultra-defensive chelsea team??

Why doesn't chelsea surprise using an offensive formation na?
I'm sure barca will be soo shocked they'd be unable to cope and chelsea will thrash them 7-0?? undecided

C)-- fabregas can pass right? So pochettino will now tell his boys to allow him space to pick out a pass??
Won't poch put wanyama on him? And still have dier in reserve to cover for wanyama? In defence and support the attack during transitions While dembele is on hand to carry the ball 15-20yards with only kante in his way?

Thus you're left with spurs having an extra man in midfield (looking at the way chelsea are set up)

Lemme not go any further...you're arguing like a pundit not someone with tactical knowledge.

Conte isn't where he is today by behaving like a pundit

Poch and Klopp r also accused of tiring the players cos of their 'high pressing style

Their results is the only thing that matters.

QED
This one has just been posting rubbish out of ignorance and sentiments.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by LorDBolton(m): 9:37am On Jan 05, 2017
Eru009:

Correct guy, I beg tell am! Pple just come here and say which formation and players to use, meanwhile they have never coached a football game once in their life. 13 of 14 no be beans. Conte knows what he doing. Give credit.

The height of moses and azpi was exploited. And it does not help if you a sniper in Erickson crossing the ball. Good win Tottenham.

I tire,

People don't know when to chalk up defeats to 'it being a bad day at the office' nothing more.

That's why mourinho was happy when neville took over at valencia so he could prove his abilities since na him sabi coach pass when analysing game's as a pundit

Shebi neville see say coaching no be beans lols

1 Like

Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by Funjosh(m): 9:38am On Jan 05, 2017
Ximenez:
Beated ke? Seems you are not only against English football, you are also against English language. Enemy of progress indeed.

Hahahahahaha........................ its better you let him be, he is a frustrated person. Dont allow him see to your matter o. lipsrsealed
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by LorDBolton(m): 9:52am On Jan 05, 2017
UrennaNkoli:

This one has just been posting rubbish out of ignorance and sentiments.

If you knew anything about football...i'd be moved by your insult grin
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by thinkative: 10:03am On Jan 05, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

You can not expect magic with the quality of players he works with. For instance, making Harry Kane, Dier and others from the academy to regulars, it will take time to pull off a European successful feat.

What is important is that he is doing an amazing job with the limited resources available to him. That is genius.
I'm not expecting magic from him. I'm not expecting him to win the champions league. qualification from that group is not too much to ask nau.
He rested players for the Europa league clash against Dortmund last season and got trashed. he rested players away against Monaco this season and got knocked out. that's a serious lack of ambition to me. you only join the league of elite manager when you have made your mark in Europe.
By the way, Harry Kane is the only academy graduate that is a regular in that team. Poch bought dier,alderwiereld,wanyama,son,sissokho and jansenn for good money. he should be aiming higher than doing well in the league, qualifying for Europe and then getting knocked out.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by thinkative: 10:19am On Jan 05, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Tell me the prices of the amazing buys and then compare them to his counter parts.

He is doing a wonderful job. Last season he made a good title chase in the EPL. With his limited resources, give him his props.

sissoko and jansenn didn't come cheap and they have been rubbish this season. apart from alderweireld and maybe wanyama, none of his signings have shone consistently.

anyway, I don't think it should Galway's be about that. ranieri beat him and others to the league with a squad that cost next to nothing. thats what I would call a bit of genius
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by diteh(m): 10:21am On Jan 05, 2017
Thanks to Tottenham for scoring 2 goals it was my expectation
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by Seun360(m): 10:22am On Jan 05, 2017
AFONJA BOY killed Chelsea. Dancing Mr. Dele na my boy Dele na my boy.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:23am On Jan 05, 2017
thinkative:

sissoko and jansenn didn't come cheap and they have been rubbish this season. apart from alderweireld and maybe wanyama, none of his signings have shone consistently.

anyway, I don't think it should Galway's be about that. ranieri beat him and others to the league with a squad that cost next to nothing. thats what I would call a bit of genius

They are geniuses. Ranieri, Conte, Pochettino etc. What Pochettino is doing is not easy. Mourinho could not make the best out of De Bruyne, Salah, Cuadrado and others. That does not make him less a genius. Sissoko and Jansen are not in the league of big and expensive players. When we talk of the likes of Pogba and David Luiz.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:24am On Jan 05, 2017
thinkative:

Buying Dier 4 million. That is managing.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by Olaolufred(m): 10:28am On Jan 05, 2017
Eru009:

Just as the analysis on supersport began before the match, I told my wife that tottenham will defeat chelsea or at worst play a draw.
I told her the formation shown on the screen will peg Moses and Alonso back at their own half, making it hard for chelsea to play its own football (conte's working formation).
Chelsea only looked more like it anytime moses is able to push rose back.
While alonso was kept at bay throughout his stay pn the pitch by Walker.

This game is a clue to other teams on how to counter chelsea's new found tactics.

hmmm, this same chelsea have good fixtures from January 31st till february end.

I welcome chelsea to the anfield on 31/01/2017.

1 Like

Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by CheedyJ(m): 10:34am On Jan 05, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

With Eriksen, Dele Alli, Harry Kane, Moussa Dembele. These guys are growing players. Dele Alli is becoming top quality under him. He does not have hundred million pounds to buy a player.

What Pochettino did at Espanyol, Southampton and now doing at Tottenham is wonderful. It is wrong to deny his genius.

In late January 2009, Pochettino became Espanyol's third coach in 2008–09, with the team third from bottom of the table.

Tasked with saving them from relegation, he had just recently completed his UEFA Pro License and had spent a short spell as the assistant manager to the ladies' team but was otherwise untested as a coach.

His first match was at home to neighbouring FC Barcelona in the Spanish Cup, managed by Pep Guardiola. Despite his players' reluctance and only being able to avail of two training sessions prior to the game, his system of high-pressing and one-on-one defensive cover yielded an unexpected 0–0 draw

he's a good coach no doubt & could even be better in d nearest future but he's so not a genius, daz my only issue with your stance...I can't argue ....
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by schumastic(m): 11:01am On Jan 05, 2017
Unlimited22:

Perfect reply. But Pedro and Alonso have finally bleeped a match up.

he should have started Willian and we should get another left wing back cus Alonso can't play that position at all
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by Olaolufred(m): 11:19am On Jan 05, 2017
schumastic:

he should have started Willian and we should get another left wing back cus Alonso can't play that position at all

COMPLAINANTS.

This same Alonso and moses had been doing great job as full backs.

They've been good helping the 3-man defence.
Making defence line at every point 6- men (+ DM).

Instead of all these complaints or uninformed analysis, accept the fact that the Totts were better team.

Pegging both moses and alonso back to their defensive duties for most part of the match was the deal.

All the attacks of alonso and moses in those previous matches became impossible due to pochettino's tactical accuracy.

Alonso remains a good player.

However, conte must be sure now that good epl coaches will counter his formation as tott did.

Hence he must be thinking of plan B or C when opponent's formation has rendered his 3:4:3 or 3:4:2:1 useless.

1 Like

Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by enemyofprogress: 11:20am On Jan 05, 2017
Ximenez:
Beated ke? Seems you are not only against English football, you are also against English language. Enemy of progress indeed.
were they not beated?did you washed the March at all?who warned the March?did Chelsea warned?
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by enemyofprogress: 11:23am On Jan 05, 2017
Funjosh:

Hahahahahaha........................ its better you let him be, he is a frustrated person. Dont allow him see to your matter o. lipsrsealed
funjosh I see you o. You are ganging up against me dis is new year o,change before I change you o
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by Ximenez(m): 11:25am On Jan 05, 2017
enemyofprogress:
were they not beated?did you washed the March at all?who warned the March?did Chelsea warned?
Lol, now i understand you
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by Eru009(m): 11:33am On Jan 05, 2017
Olaolufred:

Just as the analysis on supersport began before the match, I told my wife that tottenham will defeat chelsea or at worst play a draw.
I told her the formation shown on the screen will peg Moses and Alonso back at their own half, making it hard for chelsea to play its own football (conte's working formation).
Chelsea only looked more like it anytime moses is able to push rose back.
While alonso was kept at bay throughout his stay pn the pitch by Walker.

This game is a clue to other teams on how to counter chelsea's new found tactics.

hmmm, this same chelsea have good fixtures from January 31st till february end.

I welcome chelsea to the anfield on 31/01/2017.

i don't agree that you could categorically tell that tott will win or at least draw from just seeing the formation. reason is tott played same formation the last time and i believe walker and rose played in that game. this game was close and could have turned out differently, especially if hazard scored that headed chance. and maybe the record of a thing got to chelsea a little bit.
that said, i totally agree that Rose and Walker gave real problems to chelsea and what you said happened alot during the game. those two were immense. As regards that being the way to play against chelsea, maybe, maybe not. tott did it well, everton not so much. i know man u, arse and liver won't change sys to play chelsea, others don't have as good wingbacks as walker & Rose to cause trouble, i think. guess you are a liver fan, liver play some scary attkin football shocked shocked shocked[color=#990000][/color].
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by enemyofprogress: 11:37am On Jan 05, 2017
Ximenez:
Lol, now i understand you
no understand me just answer my questions
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by Ximenez(m): 11:42am On Jan 05, 2017
enemyofprogress:
no understand me just answer my questions
Yea, Spurs beated Chelsea.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by enemyofprogress: 11:48am On Jan 05, 2017
Ximenez:
Yea, Spurs beated Chelsea.
now you are talking talk. I doesn't know why you were arguementating with me before
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by Olaolufred(m): 11:57am On Jan 05, 2017
Eru009:

i don't agree that you could categorically tell that tott will win or at least draw from just seeing the formation. reason is tott played same formation the last time and i believe walker and rose played in that game. this game was close and could have turned out differently, especially if hazard scored that headed chance. and maybe the record of a thing got to chelsea a little bit.
that said, i totally agree that Rose and Walker gave real problems to chelsea and what you said happened alot during the game. those two were immense. As regards that being the way to play against chelsea, maybe, maybe not. tott did it well, everton not so much. i know man u, arse and liver won't change sys to play chelsea, others don't have as good wingbacks as walker & Rose to cause trouble, i think. guess you are a liver fan, liver play some scary attkin football shocked shocked shocked[color=#990000][/color].

I think what i told my wife was based on my believe that
any team who is able to keep moses and alonso at bay will be close to wining or holding chelsea.

I knew this in november 2016, when the full backs became the new heroes of contes 3:4:3.

I am a liverpool fan.

Proud of that.

as to disagreeing with my belief, youve got all right to disagree. however, we both cannot deny the result.

have a great day.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 4th January 2017 by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jan 05, 2017
enemyofprogress:
brother pablo no be so o,new year we go sweet name from the first week person dey know grin grin
Hehehehe let's wait and see bro

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (Reply)

Chelsea vs Leicester City: FA Cup (0 - 1) On 15th May 2021 / Aston Villa Vs Liverpool (7 - 2) On 4th October 2020 / Arsenal Vs Bayern Munich : UCL (1 - 5) On 7th March 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.