Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,511 members, 7,808,866 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:19 PM

Unad Hikes School Fees By 400 Percent - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unad Hikes School Fees By 400 Percent (3656 Views)

Ambrose Ali University Hikes Freshers Fees by 200% / Gov T.A Orji Slashes ABSU Fees By 20% / University of Ado-Ekiti (UNAD) Admission News? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unad Hikes School Fees By 400 Percent by Dclique(m): 9:11pm On Nov 20, 2009
Authorities of the University of Ado Ekiti (UNAD) has announced a 400 percent hike in school fees for the new students, which the Vice-Chancellor of the institution, Prof Dipo Kolawole said the increment is the only option left for the university to survive.
With the new fee regime, students in Arts, Social Science are expected to pay N90,000, Law, Management, Engineering would pay N120,000, while Medical students are required to pay N200,000, against the sum of N19,500and N21,500 hiterto paid by the students.
Re: Unad Hikes School Fees By 400 Percent by Dclique(m): 9:22pm On Nov 20, 2009
Re: Unad Hikes School Fees By 400 Percent by dhamie2009(m): 9:42pm On Nov 20, 2009
damn that v.c should be kidnapped. the increament is just too much at this time of big financial crisis,
Re: Unad Hikes School Fees By 400 Percent by tayoast(m): 9:52pm On Nov 20, 2009
been seein d notice in Nig Tribune?

Wat could av informed dat kind of decision? Survival?
Re: Unad Hikes School Fees By 400 Percent by Dclique(m): 9:42pm On Nov 21, 2009
Is education now only for the rich?.
Re: Unad Hikes School Fees By 400 Percent by Dclique(m): 9:43pm On Nov 21, 2009
Is education now only for the rich?.
Re: Unad Hikes School Fees By 400 Percent by Nobody: 10:23pm On Nov 21, 2009
It is now obvious that nigeria education is meant forthe rich and people that are ready to incure debt to any length, some people\'s salaries for 12 months is not even up to #200,000. They are going to eat, pay rent and as well send there children to school. One of my friends use to say something, he will say the only problem we have is that we entered into the wrong country. Increasing school fees 5 times the origingal fee so that school can survive. Bullshit.
Re: Unad Hikes School Fees By 400 Percent by ade4prof: 4:51pm On Nov 22, 2009
Pls is education now a fraudulent home , State University across nigeria increase tutition school fees to 200, 000 naira, what are the problems of Nigeria Universities, Pls if u have advantages of going to private university or abroad , make sure you use that opportunity very well because the frustration and cost of study in Nigeria has become worrisome.

GOD HELP US IN THIS COUNTRY OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Re: Unad Hikes School Fees By 400 Percent by olafolarin(m): 6:53pm On Jun 17, 2010
Barely a week after government workers staged a massive protest against an increase in interest rates on their loans, students of tertiary institutions in the state yesterday poured into the streets to demonstrate against alleged anti-education policies of the Segun Oni administration.

The protesters were particularly irked by the latest increase of fees in state-owned University of Ado-Ekiti (UNAD), where students now pay between N90,000 and N200,000, depending on their disciplines and faculties.

The protest was jointly organised by the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), Movement for the Emancipation of Nigerian Students (MENS), Education Rights Campaign (ERC) and the UNAD Students’ Union Government (SUG).

Led by the chairman of NANS Joint Campus Committee for Ekiti and Ondo states, Adeolu Oyebode; MENS Coordinator, Tope Idowu; ERC Coordinator, Hassan Taiwo; and other student leaders from nearby Ondo and Osun states, the protest was one of the biggest in recent time.

The action also marked the beginning of a two-day lecture boycott in all institutions of higher learning in the state against the alleged anti-education policies, both at the state and national levels.

The students, who stormed the Governor’s Office at 9.56am, gave the government 14 days to meet their demands.

They warned that the consequence of flouting the ultimatum might be grave.

The panic caused by the students’ protest spurred security agents to cordon off Adekunle Fajuyi Roundabout, causing heavy traffic snarl on the major highway.

The placard-carrying students were about 2,000.

But the governor was said to have gone to Abuja to attend the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting.

Some of the placards read: "Oni, Don’t Destroy Our Future"; "Segun Oni is a Confused Man"; "Reverse the Fees Now"; "Education is Our Right"; "No to Fee Increment"; "Our Parents Are too Poor to Pay the Fees, Reverse the Fees Now"; "Segun Oni has failed Nigerian Addressing reporters after the protest, Oyebode described the protest as a "warning protest", saying the students would be forced to take "more serious action" if their demands are not met within the 14-day ultimatum.

The Special Adviser to the Governor on Education, Alhaji Yakubu Sanni, said the government was looking into the demands of the students.

He explained that the fee increase was not within the purview of the government but the decision of the university’s authorities.

The Chief Press Secretary to Ekiti State Governor, Mr. Wale Ojo-Lanre, yesterday described the protesters as students of Action Congress (AC) University and not students of the state-owned University of Ado-Ekiti, (UNAD).
Students"; Students No Longer in Support of Segun Oni Administration", among others.

Ojo-Lanre, who noted that he was at UNAD immediately after the protesting "students" left the Governor’s Office, said the students were receiving lectures as at the time the protest was going on.

He said: "It has become pertinent that we, once again, let the whole world know the devilish antics of the opposition Action Congress party in Ekiti State,

"The so-called students, who came in a bus marked Ladoke Akintola University, Ogbomoso, invaded UNAD at about 8:30 am today (Wednesday) and tried to disrupt academic activities in the university. They were, however, ignored by the students, who were already in their lecture rooms,recieving lectures.
Re: Unad Hikes School Fees By 400 Percent by olafolarin(m): 6:57pm On Jun 17, 2010
It is quite unbelievable what people do when given unexpected power.Segun Oni was never voted as the governor.OBJ rigged him in as governor and now students and the entire populace are facing the consequencies.Femi falana,Segun Mimiko and Segun Oni himself benefitted from Awolowo's free education.He didnt pay a single dime thoughout his student life and now he is a medical doctor.Falana challenged him on that.The only way to" give back to the community" is by increasing school fees thereby disenfrachsing eligible but poor students.Most Nigerian students are poor and where does Segun Oni expect parents to get N150,000 from?
As a UNILAG undergraduate,i walk daily from Fadeyi(where i lived) through Jibowu-WAEC office-Yabatech-Attan Cemetry to UNILAG everday for almost a year because i couldnt afford transportation fares to school everyday.(Thats a journey of 8-10km)I paid just N400 per semester,Got accommodation free and even had the rare opportunity to do Work-Study Program from which i earn N400 weekly. That made my education possible.And this was between 1996- 2000. Prosperity will condemn OBJ,Oyinlola,Segun Oni and his entire cabinet and family for inflicting pains on already battered and poverty-stricken students.It brings me to tears to see what these state governors are doing to Nigerian youths.Cant they copy from Fashola of lagos state?
Re: Unad Hikes School Fees By 400 Percent by tomory(m): 5:38pm On Jun 18, 2010
hey bros thanks for ur support i choose unad as my second choice for this year jamb. bros i dont know wat to do.the fee is to much.
Re: Unad Hikes School Fees By 400 Percent by Hardex05: 11:20am On Aug 31, 2010
Guyz, worry not for a day is coming that every thing will over,
Imagine Uniosun paying 152,500 and its a state university as Ado, Only God knows where this life is going and where it will end,
Let keep encouraging ourself and get to the high place, Much love
Re: Unad Hikes School Fees By 400 Percent by Nobody: 2:05pm On Aug 31, 2010
I cant believe my eyes are reading all those post.! I'm sure they're joking,i mean the universities. How many universities plan to do such?

(1) (Reply)

FREE Undergraduate Project Topics For Final Year Students B.sc, M.sc B.tech,ond / Osun State Poly Iree Admission List 2013/2014 / 25 AMAZING FACTS (with Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.