Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,560 members, 7,770,445 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:45 AM

FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives (29961 Views)

Budget: FG Raises Non-oil GDP Projection To N104tn / FG Slashes Import Duties On 115 Items / Government Raises Import Duties On Consumable, Luxury Goods (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by 2shur: 9:40am On Jan 03, 2017
abegi.
is there power
accessible roads
storage facilities.
etc
misplaced priorities everywhere.
na poof ppl dey sick pass.
cause mosquito gas chop blood from them
u come carry antimalaria go up
wen africa itself be malaria to God

abegi
apc useless for life

3 Likes

Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by adisarasaq(m): 9:51am On Jan 03, 2017
malele:
The Federal Government has raised duties on luxury goods such as yachts and sport utility vehicles (SUVs) imported into the country.

The increase contained in a circular by the Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun to the Nigeria Customs Service.

Also affected are some food items that have local alternatives such as rice, salt and sugarcane, alcoholic spirit, beverages.

Import duty for sugar cane and salt will go from 10 per cent to 70 per cent; alcoholic spirit, beverages and tobacco from 20 per cent to 60 per cent; and rice from 10 per cent to 60 per cent.
Also included on the list are packaged cement, from 10 per cent to 50 per cent; cotton/ fabrics materials, from 35 per cent to 45 per cent; and used cars popular known as Tokunbo, from 10 per cent to 35 per cent respectively.
Medicaments such as anti-malarials and antibiotics; crude palm oil; wheat flour; tomatoes paste; and cassava products are also affected in the upward review of duties. But essential industrial sector accessories, including bolt, industrial oil and other equipment are to enjoy a downward review to spur local industrialisation.
According to the Finance Minister, President Buhari has already approved the new tariff regime.The circular reads in part:

"This is to confirm that Mr. President has approved the 2016 fiscal policy measures made up of the Supplementary Protection Measures (SPM) for implementation together with the ECOWAS CET 2015 – 2019 with effect from 17th October, 2016."Consequently, all transactions prior to the effective date of this circular shall be subjected to the tariff rates applicable before the coming into effect of this 2016 fiscal policy measures."
It added that the approved SPM was in line with the provision of the ECOWAS CET comprising the following:
“An Import Adjustment Tax (IAT) list with additional taxes on 173 tariff lines of the extant ECOWAS CET; national list consisting of items with reduced import duty rates to promote and encourage development in critical sectors of the economy; an import prohibition list (Trade), applicable only to certain goods originating from non-ECOWAS member states."
Adeosun declared that the current fiscal policy measures superseded those of 2015, and advised the customs and other stakeholders to ensure strict compliance.
Source: The Guardian

http://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2017/01/fg-raises-import-duties-on-luxury-goods.html?m=1

Tariff for imported vehicles has been 35% since 2015, I don't think this information is correct.
Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by gbegemaster(m): 10:01am On Jan 03, 2017
Toketimt:

The opening thread talks about higher tariffs. I don't think I read anything pertaining to restriction. Is this post for this thread?
Tariff: A tax imposed on imported goods and services. Tariffs are used to restrict trade, as they increase the price of imported goods and services, making them more expensive to consumers. ... They are one of several tools available to shape trade policy.

Are you sure you know much about tariffs at all?
Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by idupaul: 10:23am On Jan 03, 2017
gbegemaster:
Tariff: A tax imposed on imported goods and services. Tariffs are used to restrict trade, as they increase the price of imported goods and services, making them more expensive to consumers. ... They are one of several tools available to shape trade policy.

Don't mind the Dullard, he keeps showing his daftness with every post

1 Like

Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by Toketimt: 10:28am On Jan 03, 2017
[[s]quote author=idupaul post=52485870]

Mumu Glaxo trades only one brand of antimalarial in Nigeria called Colart and it's is made in India , Swipha trades Swidar, Arenas and my friend it's not made here, Biofem doesn't have a single antimalarial ,their star drug is called Glucophage and it's even imported ...mumu please what antimalarial are you and your uncles producing in Nigeria [/quote][/s]

Shameless and hopeless liar. U and ur entire lineage can never see anything good about ur country. Instead of attending to this shameless lie, I prefer to tell u more names of pharmaceutical companies producing quality drugs in Nigeria and employing Nigerians. Afterall in ur warped minds none of such produces in Nigeria.
May and Baker, Emzor, Drugfield grin
Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by Toketimt: 10:35am On Jan 03, 2017
idupaul:

Morona, you thinks you can just drop names and bamboozle me forgetting that I might have extensive knowledge of the Nigerian pharmaceutics market ...paid to post Idiat

On the contrary, u Av a spinned knowledge of the market. Continue to deceive ur kind. More viable companies includes Drugfield, vitabiotics, fidson. grin
Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by Toketimt: 10:39am On Jan 03, 2017
gbegemaster:

Stop changing goal post in the middle of the game. A govt can come up and say on this good or that good they are banned and not wanted. That is not the situation here. What u presented is dependent on the importer himself. If one for instance chooses to import in at a loss or dump goods here no matter the tariffs, what can u say to that?
Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by idupaul: 10:41am On Jan 03, 2017
Toketimt:

On the contrary, u Av a spinned knowledge of the market. Continue to deceive ur kind. More viable companies includes Drugfield, fidson. grin

Fidson import a 100 percent and drug field just cakes drugs here in Nigeria which means they import the base and active ingredients and just mould and package here and besides their strength is topicals and not a single antimalarial ..I still need to know which that Ur uncle is producing even if it's herbal

1 Like

Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by Zetra(m): 10:45am On Jan 03, 2017
Toketimt:

Mumu Glaxo trades only one brand of antimalarial in Nigeria called Colart and it's is made in India , Swipha trades Swidar, Arenas and my friend it's not made here, Biofem doesn't have a single antimalarial ,their star drug is called Glucophage and it's even imported ...mumu please what antimalarial are you and your uncles producing in Nigeria [/s]

Shameless and hopeless liar. U and ur entire lineage can never see anything good about ur country. Instead of attending to this shameless lie, I prefer to tell u more names of pharmaceutical companies producing quality drugs in Nigeria and employing Nigerians. Afterall in ur warped minds none of such produces in Nigeria.

bro you seem not to get the point that even our local manufacturer in technical terms don't produce but only repackage.
Most, from sweet, biscuits, food(noodles - indomie) drinks (dansa - dangote, bobo etc) still import the base ingredients, and other materials(nylon, printing/packaging materials etc) for the production which means the prices of things will still go up because the govt policies will affect it negatively.

our company just did Installation for a big firm then I realised that all the industry in Nigeria import mechanical/electrical/computerised parts for their industry, as little as bolts/nuts was imported.
Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by idupaul: 10:46am On Jan 03, 2017
Toketimt:

Mumu Glaxo trades only one brand of antimalarial in Nigeria called Colart and it's is made in India , Swipha trades Swidar, Arenas and my friend it's not made here, Biofem doesn't have a single antimalarial ,their star drug is called Glucophage and it's even imported ...mumu please what antimalarial are you and your uncles producing in Nigeria [/s]

I love my country but this policy is bad believe me ... May and Baker emzor, DF do some of their Caking and packaging in Nigeria but they still have to import 100 percent of tea base and active ingredients used ..the only pharmaceutics produced a 100 percent in Nigeria is is you hydration infusion what a bush man like you will call drip
Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by Toketimt: 10:46am On Jan 03, 2017
idupaul:

Fidson import a 100 percent and drug field just cakes drugs here in Nigeria which means they import the base and active ingredients and just mould and package here and besides their strength is topicals and not a single antimalarial ..I still need to know which that Ur uncle is producing even if it's herbal

Oponu base and active ingredients are different from medicaments ( finished products) govt increases tariffs on. Continue to showcase ur ediocy while I continue to mention more healthy pharmaceutical companies in Nigeria. E.g Neimeth
By the way, what did ur hopeless fathers tell u about Drugfield. U omitted that. grin
Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by Toketimt: 10:51am On Jan 03, 2017
Zetra:

bro you seem not to get the point that even our local manufacturer in technical terms don't produce but only repackage.
Most, from sweet, biscuits, food(noodles - indomie) drinks (dansa - dangote, bobo etc) still import the base ingredients, and other materials(nylon, printing/packaging materials etc) for the production which means the prices of things will still go up because the govt policies will affect it negatively.

our company just did Installation for a big firm then I realised that all the industry in Nigeria import mechanical/electrical/computerised parts for their industry, as little as bolts/nuts was imported.

The base materials are not what tariffs are increased on. These are basically the raw materials. Get ur facts right. It's the finished materials. For so long, foreign juice was banned ( though I learnt those currently coming in, pay so much as tariffs to govt.) which led to so many of them being produced in Nigeria. Was chivita, dansa and co were in existence before govt chose to restrict it?
Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by nengiscrib: 10:52am On Jan 03, 2017
malele:

Am not sure u people read the post well.
Let me ask these few questions.

DO u have light for production in nigeria?
Do u have storage systems in nigeria?
How do people get forex for production of SUVS and other antibiotics mentioned?
What prevents the government from puting a timeline to stop these imports?
Hope u people know tarrif for tokunbo cars increased too, how many people Have money to buy new cars?
Hope u people know minimum wage is 18k?

It unfortunate that goat of of president started 2017 like this.

Mehn I don't just understand which text the people applauding the said move read. It's unfortunate that our government will be quick to stop things that are integral to the every day life of the common and even less common Nigerian man. They sit in there AC offices make stupid decisions, come back to their AC and security guarded houses and sleep well on their thoughts. SMH

Before the government makes critical decisions like this, there should be substantial alternative for the people.

They want to stop rice? OK good, so which rice would we be eating, LAKE rice seem to be a good Idea, but is slowly if not immediately turning into a propaganda, as comments from review of the said initiative has turned out to be uncomfortable. People living in Oscoda hasn't seen the promised Rice said to be available in Ikeja Grammar school.

A lot of people with high expectations for the rice have eventually given up hope. Besides it's already past Christmas. But the question is how long can it be sustained. This is just Lagos oh, not everywhere in Nigeria.

Really? Production of rice in our country and not the imported one is propaganda? And it will do more harm than good?

I believe that changes will come gradually and not by force as regards certain products. If the government can actually help sustain and make available local Produce, it will only be natural for the people to embrace it as it will be way more cheaper and will be up to per with time.

With regarda to the SUV tax, it's quiet funny here; how many Nigerians buy New cars, like really u reading this tell me. Clearly over 98% of cars are used(tokunbo) or previously owned. U expect me to earn 150k - 350k to per month to buy a new car of 230000 (usd equivalent that's even on the low side) about 7,475,000 naira. Come on man! Remember there are a lot, I mean an awful lot of people earning less.

I really don't need to say too. Much about cars, it's totally pathetic right now. I don't blame them anyways, they get new cars every so often with fuel and maintenance allowances, plus the over 5 cars they take illegally upon leaving there position.

C I don tire to type on my phone, the list goes on.

NLC is now deliberating how to discuss with the multinational companies outsourcing jobs rather than providing theses opportunities to job seekers here in Nigeria. According to the post, it seems as though they intend to negotiate, rather than implement strict sanctions with the help of whatever regulating bodies and the federal government. A typical example here is Ericsson. By relieving Nigeria workers of these jobs and transferring these same jobs to India. Thereby increasing the number of jobless people and frustrating people depending on them.

Why hasn't the federal government taken immediate steps, yes Immediate steps on things like this. Why is it that at this time we are still having power issues, how can we build our economy and country. How can we encourage investment and job creation, both by foreign and local companies (and SMEs)

I just tire to type naim make I stop. Cheers.
Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by idupaul: 10:54am On Jan 03, 2017
Toketimt:

Oponu base and active ingredients are different from medicaments ( finished products) govt increases tariffs on. Continue to showcase ur ediocy while I continue to mention more healthy pharmaceutical companies in Nigeria. E.g Neimeth
By the way, what did ur hopeless fathers tell u about Drugfield. U omitted that. grin

Read again and you will see 90 percent of the comment was about Drugfield ..Neimeth use to to distribute for Pfizer before Pfizer left and the started importing generics under the brand name Neimeth..
Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by Toketimt: 10:54am On Jan 03, 2017
[s]
idupaul:

I love my country but this policy is bad believe me ... May and Baker emzor, DF do some of their Caking and packaging in Nigeria but they still have to import 100 percent of tea base and active ingredients used ..the only pharmaceutics produced a 100 percent in Nigeria is is you hydration infusion what a bush man like you will call drip

[/s]

Toketimt:

Another healthy pharmaceutical company is Nigeria German chemicals employing Nigerians and producing quality drugs to ur chargin. cheesy
What did ur hopeless fathers say about this also.
Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by grandstar(m): 10:57am On Jan 03, 2017
VictorRomanov:

Well....google has this to say:

http://www.umich.edu/~econdev/importsub/

The article was inconclusive and anyway focused on local sourcing within states and cities. I am referring to countries.

Read more articles please.
Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by Toketimt: 10:59am On Jan 03, 2017
idupaul:

Read again and you will see 90 percent of the comment was about Drugfield ..Neimeth use to to distribute for Pfizer before Pfizer left and the started importing generics under the brand name Neimeth..

Actually u are right. Just bored about all ur shameless lies and stop digesting it. I had thought u will just tell me that these companies are no where to be found in Nigeria. I Av another one for u. What did ur wretched fathers say about it. Evans medicals Plc grin
Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by idupaul: 11:02am On Jan 03, 2017
Toketimt:
[s][/s]

Another healthy pharmaceutical company is Nigeria German chemicals employing Nigerians and producing quality drugs to ur chargin. cheesy
What did ur hopeless fathers say about this also.

NGC makes potent drugs and I don't know for the import their bases ..they don't have a single antimalarial in the market but thrive on Benyline with codeine and broncholyte. If you use your head you will note that tells poppy that codeine comes from does not grow in Nigeria meaning the only mix imported ingredients here
Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by idupaul: 11:05am On Jan 03, 2017
Toketimt:

Actually u are right. Just bored about all ur shameless lies and stop digesting it. I had thought u will just tell me that these companies are no where to be found in Nigeria. I Av another one for u. What did ur wretched fathers say about it. Evans medicals Plc grin

Evans has not manufactured a single drug since last year because of Buharis harsh import policy's which is making it difficult for them to get in active ingredients and bases to make their drugs here..As we talk getting you hand a on a single Evans product is difficult and they might pack up anytime I something is not done ..another casualty of the failed Buhari policies
Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by aku626(m): 11:06am On Jan 03, 2017
My thoughts exactly
malele:

Hope u people know tarrif for tokunbo cars increased too, how many people Have money to buy new cars?

1 Like

Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by Toketimt: 11:08am On Jan 03, 2017
[s]
idupaul:

NGC makes potent drugs and I don't know for the import their bases ..they don't have a single antimalarial in the market but thrive on Benyline with codeine and broncholyte. If you use your g you will note that tells poppy that codeine comes from does not grow in Nigeria meaning the only mix imported ingredients here
[/s]

Toketimt:

The base materials are not what tariffs are increased on. These are basically the raw materials. Get ur facts right. It's the finished materials. For so long, foreign juice was banned ( though I learnt those currently coming in, pay so much as tariffs to govt.) which led to so many of them being produced in Nigeria. Was chivita, dansa and co were in existence before govt chose to restrict it?

Oponu another healthy company is Ranbaxy
Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by saipn: 11:35am On Jan 03, 2017
idupaul:

Evans has not manufactured a single drug since last year because of Buharis harsh import policy's which is making it difficult for them to get in active ingredients and bases to make their drugs here..As we talk getting you hand a on a single Evans product is difficult and they might pack up anytime I something is not done ..another casualty of the failed Buhari policies
pls stop replying that f.ool he is bereft of what is going on in terms of pharmaceutical products

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by gbegemaster(m): 11:42am On Jan 03, 2017
Toketimt:

Stop changing goal post in the middle of the game. A govt can come up and say on this good or that good they are banned and not wanted. That is not the situation here. What u presented is dependent on the importer himself. If one for instance chooses to import in at a loss or dump goods here no matter the tariffs, what can u say to that?

Lawd av mercy. What in God's name are you saying?
Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by ArcFresky(m): 11:44am On Jan 03, 2017
AdeniyiA:
As laudable as these measures are,the pertinent questions remain that,how ready and encouraged are the local industries to fill in the gaps being created?
Are the necessary infrastructures like roads, power, available and functioning effectively?

What I have noticed about our government is that they're very wasteful, love misplacing priorities and building something on nothing,hence it eventually collapse

Thats the beauty of capitalism. Once there is a demand, supply will pick up.

1 Like

Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by gbegemaster(m): 11:55am On Jan 03, 2017
Toketimt:

Let me try one more time.

Higher import tariff=Import restriction

Import restriction has been used by the Nigerian government for years. How well has it worked out over the years? If you say it has worked, in which area has it worked? Do you restrict import without first establishing enough local production to meet the demands? Do you have a price control program in place? What about a quality control program?

Hope this English is simple enough.
Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by Profayo: 1:09pm On Jan 03, 2017
REDshouse:
you can patronise the locals and herberlist for that....agbo iba to be precise
lols,How frequently do you use agbo?
Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by kidman96(m): 1:18pm On Jan 03, 2017
malele:

1 Like

Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jan 03, 2017
Good one, they should increase tariff on tecno phantom 6 and other chinko phones, we dont need those crappy phones spoiling the image of the real brands.

Some people are equating themselves to Dangote and Otedola just because they managed to acquire that phantom 6. angry
Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by Aristo3146(m): 1:31pm On Jan 03, 2017
linearity:

This is a very bad policy. Economic Protectionism is a bad policy. This myopic policy now exposes Nigeria exports to similar fate abroad, thereby hurting Nigeria produce in international markets.

The government should have look into helping the manufacturing section with constant power supply, good roads and access to capital/forex; these will enable them to be competitive.

No family or country grows whose policies or strategy is refined to produce just enough to consume internally without planning to sell externally and also maintain conditions and policies that will encourage external buyers.
Read the last paragraph of your comment and tell me if it sound ok...dont be an economist by force...
Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by Aristo3146(m): 1:40pm On Jan 03, 2017
malele:

I bet nobody in your whole family has ever attain the position the goat of a president as u called has attained...watch your words, my candid advice...

1 Like

Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by linearity: 2:13pm On Jan 03, 2017
Aristo3146:
Read the last paragraph of your comment and tell me if it sound ok...dont be an economist by force...

I still stand by the last paragraph, I know that its readability might have been affected by a few missing punctuations.

My major point is, no one country or family unit grows, by producing just enough to sustain it's self i.e. We must earn Forex by selling abroad, and by enacting protectionist policies at a time, we should be encouraging exports, we face the risks of other countries enacting reciprocating policies against our exports.

Agree, Nigeria is not an exporting country, but we should encourage the little exports that are taking place and not further jeopardize them.
Re: FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives by Aristo3146(m): 2:21pm On Jan 03, 2017
malele:

Their is no country that will excel without taking harsh economic policies, i employ u to check history and tell me why Margaret Thatcher, the former British prime minster was called Iron lady. Germany when preparing to launch second world war, did everything within their power to be technologically sustainable, we have procrastinated for so long, its high time we started taking the bull by the horns, if happens Dangote waited for Government to fix all the roads and lights before he starts business i assure u he would have still be waiting till date, i am talking from experience, atleast i have a poultry farm which i can boast of more than 30 creates of eggs in three weeks and a recharge card printing business...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Glory Osei And Muyiwa Folorunsho Accused Fraud By Ex-Employee / Adama Indimi Celebrates Husband, Prince Malik On Birthday (Photos) / Naira Exchange Rates Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.