Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,880 members, 7,806,538 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:59 PM

How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani (26394 Views)

Beautiful Russian Girls Speaking Igbo & Dancing Ogene / British Kids Fluently Speaking Igbo / Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by seunny4lif(m): 9:26pm On Jan 14, 2017
Can someone pls summary the story grin grin
Too long as if am read novel

Ooh Igbo story again cool

1 Like

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by lepasharon(f): 9:27pm On Jan 14, 2017
cstr55:
The igbo language is going to be the first language to die off in that country.
Nitwits.

Are you a conehead?

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by cstr55: 9:28pm On Jan 14, 2017
lepasharon:

Are you a conehead?
I am a flattie with a brain.

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by Afam4eva(m): 9:28pm On Jan 14, 2017
freecocoa:
No need to prioritise any,people(especially kids) can speak more than one languages fluently.
It's not about prioritizing. Parents should understand that kids will always pick up English since that it what's the language of instruction in schools. There's a need to put in more effort to teach them Igbo because they may not have the opportunity to learn it elsewhere.

5 Likes

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by lepasharon(f): 9:28pm On Jan 14, 2017
cstr55:

I am a flattie with a brain.
Keep disgracing urself npama

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by MichaelSokoto(m): 9:28pm On Jan 14, 2017
wandeay:
Pple still dey speak dat language?
Gbam-gbaaaaaam!

ogbeni, 4 ya safety, better put on ya anti-afonja curse armor now cos em biafraudists gor use u chop dat dia okpa dis nite. grin
grin

buh wetin concern me?

*sits back on sofa, grabs popcorn & remote to press play 4 d show to begin* cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by Daniel058(m): 9:29pm On Jan 14, 2017
Who local language don epp,
Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by cstr55: 9:29pm On Jan 14, 2017
lepasharon:

Really? How did i disgrace myself, woman?
Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jan 14, 2017
musicwriter:
I salute her zeal to speak Igbo.
Education means being able to speak your own language before learning to speak any other. Its very unfortunate, brainwashing education has reduced us to thinking the opposite is the case.

"With English, no race would have an advantage.... English as our working language has... given us a competitive advantage because it is the international language of business and diplomacy, of science and technology"

And the above statement by Lee K. Yew is very wrong!. English alone did not give Singapore a competitive edge, but their policy on immigration which source the best brain from English speaking countries. I' am sure he will soon regret switching learning to English as China take over the US as the world power. Even US schools are now offering Chinese and Mandarin classes.

Secondly, English is not the language of science or technology. That statement even sound childish to me. Any language could be the language of science or technology. Japan is more scientifically and technologically advanced than Britain!. Russia was the first country to send man to space!!. What nonsense is he talking?!!.

Thank God I didn't buy his book "the Singapore story". I nearly bought that book sometime last year, but I can see its a complete trash.
I am so glad your post is on fp!
Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by lepasharon(f): 9:34pm On Jan 14, 2017
cstr55:

Really? How did i disgrace myself, woman?

Ur comment on igbo language
Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by Fedayeen02: 9:35pm On Jan 14, 2017
Ishilove:
One of my former wards once confessed to me how her father banned his kids from speaking Yoruba language at home and in school. When I asked why he did such an unthinkable thing, she could not explain.

I on my part forced myself to start learning my native tongue when I was 12. Before then I could not understand it well even though my parents spoke it at home. Even at that age, I sensed that it is imperative that I mastered my native tongues for reasons that wasn't made clear until many years later.

Our language is part of our heritage. Relegating it in favour of a foreign one is the height of mental slavery and inferiority complex.
what is your native tongue?
Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jan 14, 2017
lepasharon:

you are an atheist right? You obviously cant be a happy person, ever.
Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by Immanueladebol(m): 9:42pm On Jan 14, 2017
Hmm!

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by yomalex(m): 9:42pm On Jan 14, 2017
musicwriter:
I salute her zeal to speak Igbo.
Education means being able to speak your own language before learning to speak any other. Its very unfortunate, brainwashing education has reduced us to thinking the opposite is the case.

"With English, no race would have an advantage.... English as our working language has... given us a competitive advantage because it is the international language of business and diplomacy, of science and technology"

And the above statement by Lee K. Yew is very wrong!. English alone did not give Singapore a competitive edge, but their policy on immigration which source the best brain from English speaking countries. I' am sure he will soon regret switching learning to English as China take over the US as the world power. Even US schools are now offering Chinese and Mandarin classes.

Secondly, English is not the language of science or technology. That statement even sound childish to me. Any language could be the language of science or technology. Japan is more scientifically and technologically advanced than Britain!. Russia was the first country to send man to space!!. What nonsense is he talking?!!.

Thank God I didn't buy his book "the Singapore story". I nearly bought that book sometime last year, but I can see its a complete trash.
maybe if you consider that the events he described happened in the 1960's

1 Like

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by Fedayeen02: 9:43pm On Jan 14, 2017
I grew up in a village in Anambra and i found out that there was this clash of tongues btw my English and Igbo which we call Ngirigbo

I just knew that at the right time i will perfect my tenses and when i was ready i took up reading novels and watching foreign movies which went a long way to boost my speech and eliminate the mixing of igbo and English in my speech.

I still speak Ngirigbo today for the fun of it and i can proudly say that my kid is very fluent in igbo language today

7 Likes

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by Handsomecole(m): 9:43pm On Jan 14, 2017
Her cas was similar to mine also. Growing up as a kid whilst my parents converse in Igbo we the children were prevented from speaking it only English Language. Although atimes they sent us errands using Igbo but even in the village we were prevented from speaking Igbo. Not until I got into the University. Due to my zeal, Love and willingness to learn and speak Igbo I mixed up with other Igbo students who came from the South east to schl in the west, soon I started speaking even contested and became the General secretary for the Igbo students, so I was challenged to improve .

Long Live the Igbo Culture.
"Igbo Amaka"

10 Likes

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by cstr55: 9:44pm On Jan 14, 2017
lepasharon:

Ur comment on igbo language
I am not wrong na.
The igbo language would be the first to disintegrate. Evey indices points to it. The UN even made a study about it.
Go to lagos and see thousands of igbo children speaking ngbatii-ngbatii. Igbo parents nowadays wants their kids speaking the queen's english like a deranged lunatic and detest any mention of the igbo language in the home.
While igbo single men and women who are increasingly getting to married to other ethnics fail to impress their culture on their kids and so lose their children to the other culture. It is rampant nowadays.
An example that can you relate to is that of peter okoye's kids. The kids attended a cultural day in their school in yoruba agbada while their surname clearly spells okoye.
Everybody shrugged it off like it is nothing, but i know it is a growing phenomenon that can be very dangerous. It is a subtle psychological attack on igbo consciousness.
It is a shame, i know , but it is the truth. And i love the truth.

8 Likes

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by WINNERMENTALITY: 9:48pm On Jan 14, 2017
Thats how my Aunty never spoke Igbo to her children and today all of them are shy among their own relatives..

Her first daughter married a yorouba, second Edo, the third one, they said that one MUST marry an igbo..
Some parent dont know that stuff like this do hunt their children role in associating with people in later years...

MY children whether am living in china,calgary,Lagos, they must be able to speak igbo at the age of 5.
Even though i marry a non igbo, my children must learn igbo as their first language.

5 Likes

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jan 14, 2017
This must be a very rare case, because most Igbo families and parents I know prefer their children speaking Igbo than English
Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by Emperormartin(m): 9:49pm On Jan 14, 2017
At least this generation can start the revolution of speaking local languages especially at home.
The generation before us as we can see failed wolfly!!!

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by cstr55: 9:52pm On Jan 14, 2017
WINNERMENTALITY:
Thats how my Aunty never spoke Igbo to her children and today all of them are shy among their own relatives..

Her first daughter married a yorouba, second Edo, the third one, [/b]they said that one MUST marry an igbo..
Some parent dont know that stuff like this do hunt their children role in associating with people in later years...

MY children whether am living in china,calgary,Lagos, they must be able to speak igbo at the age of 5.
Even though i marry a non igbo, my children must learn igbo as their first language.
[b]The highlighted is one of the major reasons why the igbo language is dying.
The women are the custodians of the culture everywhere and when the young women are lost enmass to other strange cultures, it can be very dangerous. We are going to see the effect of all these inter-tribal marriages in the next 50 years.
I love inter-tribal marriage, but not at the expense of my beautiful igbo language and culture.

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by freecocoa(f): 9:55pm On Jan 14, 2017
Afam4eva:

It's not about prioritizing. Parents should understand that kids will always pick up English since that it what's the language of instruction in schools. There's a need to put in more effort to teach them Igbo because they may not have the opportunity to learn it elsewhere.
They don't need no extra effort to teach a language spoken in the house, if you speak it to them, they'll learn it easily.

If anything, English is what you should get them classes for, because it is a much more complex language

1 Like

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by cstr55: 9:55pm On Jan 14, 2017
Afam4eva:

Brilliant submission

1 Like

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by Ugosample(m): 9:57pm On Jan 14, 2017
cstr55:

I am not wrong na.
The igbo language would be the first to disintegrate. Evey indices points to it. The UN even made a study about it.
Go to lagos and see thousands of igbo children speaking ngbatii-ngbatii. Igbo parents nowadays wants their kids speaking the queen's english like a deranged lunatic and detest any mention of the igbo language in the home.
While igbo single men and women who are increasingly getting to married to other ethnics fail to impress their culture on their kids and so lose their children to the other culture. It is rampant nowadays.
An example that can you relate to is that of peter okoye's kids. The kids attended a cultural day in their school in yoruba agbada while their surname clearly spells okoye.
Everybody shrugged it off like it is nothing, but i know it is a growing phenomenon that can be very dangerous. It is a subtle psychological attack on igbo consciousness.

You are talking rubbish....

Polish people, or let me say children of polish, and even Czech people don't speak Czech/Polish (most of them) yet their language is still spoken in Czech and Poland...

Why did I say this

Because as long as Igbo is still spoken in Igbo land, Igbo cannot go extinct.....

Where trouble will start is when in the whole of the SE, NOBODY speaks Igbo Anymore....

As for Igbo children out of Igbo land, what do you expect?

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by WINNERMENTALITY: 9:59pm On Jan 14, 2017
cstr55:

The highlighted is one of the major reasons why the igbo language is dying.
The women are the custodians of the culture everywhere and when the young women are lost enmass to other strange cultures, it can be very dangerous. We are going to see the effect of all these inter-tribal marriages in the next 50 years.
I love inter-tribal marriage, but not at the expense of my beautiful igbo language and culture.
True, igbo Language is dying and i sense it too. Do you know children growing up in igbo land are being punished for speaking igbo at school. Me personally was punished because of same case, that was 15 years back...

The goverment should help control that evil believe creeping in most of all this private school that believe speaking English language properly is proportional to high IQ.. that is wrong, very wrong.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by cstr55: 9:59pm On Jan 14, 2017
freecocoa:
They don't need no extra effort to teach a language spoken in the house, if you speak it to them, they'll learn it easily.

If anything, English is what you should get them classes for, because it is a much more complex language
There is nothing complex about the English, unless you are going to study english as a course.
The igbo language and indeed most african languages are far complex. Even french and spanish are far complex than the english language.
Anybody can learn the english. That is why it is the most spoken on earth. It is easy to learn .

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by cstr55: 10:03pm On Jan 14, 2017
WINNERMENTALITY:

True, igbo Language is dying and i sense it too. Do you know children growing up in igbo land are being punished for speaking igbo at school. Me personally was punished because of same case, that was 15 years back...

The goverment should help control that evil believe creeping in most of all this private school that believe speaking English language properly is proportional to high IQ.. that is wrong, very wrong.
Idiotts that is what they are all.
When you come to europe and America and see how half igbo kids are actually striving to learn the igbo language- a language that they will most likely never need or use, then you will realize how pathetically slow and short-sighted igbo parents and states in Nigeria actually are.
Dumb fuccks.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jan 14, 2017
cstr55:

I am not wrong na.

calm down!! The way you carry issues very far self. Its quite natural for a person to imbibe the language and culture of the environment he/she grows up in. Doesn't mean his native language is dying. Igbo is still the very much alive. Every child born and bred in igboland speaks fluent Igbo. And I know many born and raised outside Igboland under strict Igbo parents who speak their native tongue just as well.

Igbos are naturally adventurous and mobile and many raise children outside Igboland, who naturally grow up with knowledge of the local language and a smattering of their own native tongues learnt either from their parents or by their own efforts. The result is that many Igbo's are multilingual in Nigerian languages. Infact, you're most likely to find people who can speak virtually the three major languages in Nigeria ONLY AMONG THE IGBOS

4 Likes

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by cstr55: 10:08pm On Jan 14, 2017
Ugosample:

You are talking rubbish....

Polish people, or let me say children of polish, and even Czech people don't speak Czech/Polish (most of them) yet their language is still spoken in Czech and Poland...

Why did I say this

Because as long as Igbo is still spoken in Igbo land, Igbo cannot go extinct.....

Where trouble will start is when in the whole of the SE, NOBODY speaks Igbo Anymore....

As for Igbo children out of Igbo land, what do you expect?
.But the language is gradually been eroded in the homeland.
The schools now see speaking igbo language as a sign of unsophistication and illiteracy, and kids are punished for it. That can never happen in any European country including czech republic. And most European countries, btw, don't speak English as a first language in their schools which is where the next generation is bred.
I know it is a problem of Nigerians to see the big picture, but trust me, it is already happening. The igbo language is dying.

4 Likes

Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by rafabenitez: 10:10pm On Jan 14, 2017
Tricia ur parents are a disgrace,they are a let down to hardworking igbo parents,the disgrace they made u go through will be on them,so shall other parents too who refuse their wards/children from speaking their mother tongues.FAILED PARENTS.
Re: How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani by bi0nics: 10:11pm On Jan 14, 2017
cstr55:

There is nothing complex about the English, unless you are going to study english as a course.
The igbo language and indeed most african languages are far complex. Even french and spanish are far complex than the english language.
Anybody can learn the english. That is why it is the most spoken on earth. It is easy to learn .

I thought that was Mandarin?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Highest And Most Polished Culture On Earth Is Yoruba Culture - Reno Omokri / My Boyfriend's Parents Don't Approve Me, And They Haven't Even Met Me Yet / Do We Overestimate The Importance Of African Juju?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.