Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,696 members, 7,805,856 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:25 AM

Learn To Speak Ikwerre - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Learn To Speak Ikwerre (15739 Views)

Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof / Ikwerre Music / Are There Two Types Of Ikwerre? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learn To Speak Ikwerre by Khalilah: 11:56pm On Jan 03, 2017
I would like to learn to speak Ikwerre. I have had trouble finding resources to accomplish this. Can someone share a website, group or book title that would be useful?

Thanks,
Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by mengho(m): 11:57pm On Jan 03, 2017
lol, something even google cant seem to help you with grin
Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by bigfrancis21: 8:41am On Jan 04, 2017
Khalilah:
I would like to learn to speak Ikwerre. I have had trouble finding resources to accomplish this. Can someone share a website, group or book title that would be useful?

Thanks,

You may have to visit PH and live there a while to learn ikwerre dialect proper. Asides that there are very few resources online that teach you Ikwerre. There are ikwerre dialect songs and musics you could find on youtube but the content is geared towards ikwerre/igbo speakers and not really towards learners.

Your second best bet would be to learn central Igbo dialect (a standard igbo dialect created from several igbo dialects used for official writing and speaking and not natively spoken by any Igbo clan) specifically and modify the vocabulary here and there to ikwerre vocabulary. Some ikwerres may see their spoken speech as a 'different language' but what it basically is is a dialect of the Igboid dialects.

6 Likes

Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by Noneroone(m): 8:54pm On Jan 05, 2017
A jambite cannot apply for M.Sc.
You can only get your B.Sc degree first before you "master" in an area. Learn igbo first before talking about a dialect.

3 Likes

Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by RedboneSmith(m): 9:00pm On Jan 05, 2017
Of course commenters will tell you to go and learn Igbo. smiley

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by Afam4eva(m): 8:37pm On Jan 06, 2017
RedboneSmith:
Of course commenters will tell you to go and learn Igbo. smiley
Lol grin I was expecting this. But you can't run away from the truth. That will be aneasier route for the OP. I actually learned Igbo by learning Ikwerre first. but right now, i can't even speak ikwerre and barely understand it.

6 Likes

Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by ChinenyeN(m): 1:09am On Jan 07, 2017
I remember a long while ago on NL, someone came asking for Ika/Ukwuani lessons. Someone suggested that they learn Igbo. Igbo people annoy me sometimes with responses like these. Igbo people... the same ones who refuse to bolster the "Igbo language", but yet insist that their dialects take second place to a static and artificial speech form.

If someone wants to learn Ikwere and you do not know of any resources for them, then leave it be. Learning "Igbo" is not equivalent to learning Ikwere. The same goes for each and every indigenous Igbo speech form.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by AndreUweh(m): 1:59am On Jan 07, 2017
You can not criticise people for offering their opinions on the subject matter. Since when are people no longer allowed to offer advice or opinions in this forum?. There is nothing wrong whatsoever to suggest learning Igbo and from there proceed to Ikwerre. If the op is not happy with the opinions of people raised should complain and not anyone else.
Am sure if someone says he wants to learn Ijebu there will be suggestions from people on learning Yoruba first and then Ijebu.
That is the way it is. If not then help the person learn Ikwerre.

7 Likes

Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by ChinenyeN(m): 2:55am On Jan 07, 2017
Very well. Perhaps I allowed my annoyance with Ndi Igbo to cause me to speak out of turn. People are free to suggest what they please. The OP will eventually make his or her decision. Nonetheless... the backwardness (in my personal worldview) still remains a point of annoyance for me, but that's ultimately no one's concern.

2 Likes

Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by ariesbull: 8:26am On Jan 07, 2017
ChinenyeN:
Very well. Perhaps I allowed my annoyance with Ndi Igbo to cause me to speak out of turn. People are free to suggest what they please. The OP will eventually make his or her decision. Nonetheless... the backwardness (in my personal worldview) still remains a point of annoyance for me, but that's ultimately no one's concern.

Grow up sir

Dialect is a deeper version of language ...So you learn Igbo first
Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by RedboneSmith(m): 9:00am On Jan 07, 2017
This has happened before at least once, when someone said here that he wanted to learn Agbor (Ika). Go and learn Igbo, commenters said.

Be honest, guys. This is just a subtle (not even that subtle) way of holding that 'You are Igbo people' banner over the heads of people who have expressly rejected it.

You don't even know if the guy can speak Igbo, but only wants to master the distinct speech of his own community. No, you don't. You're only interested in pushing this Igbo thing. That is what is so annoying.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by AndreUweh(m): 11:38pm On Jan 07, 2017
No need for long story here. You may help the OP by supplying him the needed materials to learn Ikwerre. Those who have expressed their opinions here knows that materials are in short supply in that area. Am sure if they have it they won't hesitate to upload it here.
I don't know why people get HBP anytime Igbo is mentioned.

3 Likes

Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by bigfrancis21: 9:01pm On Jan 08, 2017
RedboneSmith:
This has happened before at least once, when someone said here that he wanted to learn Agbor (Ika). Go and learn Igbo, commenters said.

Be honest, guys. This is just a subtle (not even that subtle) way of holding that 'You are Igbo people' banner over the heads of people who have expressly rejected it.

You don't even know if the guy can speak Igbo, but only wants to master the distinct speech of his own community. No, you don't. You're only interested in pushing this Igbo thing. That is what is so annoying.

Your second premise isn't even realistic because any Igbo speaker interested in learning ikwerre dialect need not come online here asking to learn ikwerre when there are some ikwerre songs on youtube that he could listen to and addopt ikwerre vocabulary. It would be easier for an igbo speaker to learn ikwerre and there's no need for a public announcement.

Finally, there's nothing wrong in suggesting to someone interested in learning ikwerre to learn central igbo in the absence of ikwerre dialect learning resources, especially moreso if the person is located far from PH or Nigeria to live with the native speakers themselves, given the similarity between ikwerre and other igbo dialects. Learning a dialect is different from identifying with the tribe of the language.

If there's anyone reading tribal lines into posts on here, it is you sir.

3 Likes

Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by ChinenyeN(m): 10:49pm On Jan 08, 2017
ariesbull:
Dialect is a deeper version of language ...So you learn Igbo first

This is poor reasoning.

To begin, there is no such thing as "Igbo language" beyond the fact that a phantom, artificial speech form has been created to represent the idea of the language family of speech forms that have now come to be called "Igbo".

Secondly, never in the history of mankind has it been necessary to learn a "language" before learning a "dialect". By the way, I put those terms in quotes for a reason.

Lastly, what you so casually refer to as "Igbo language" is nothing more than the sum total of the various, indigenous "dialects" that constitute it. Devoid "Igbo" of these "dialects", and you no longer have "Igbo language". So, to that extent, anyone who learns Ndoki can be said to have learned "Igbo". Anyone who learns Ibeku can be said to have learned "Igbo". Anyone who learns Ika can be said to have learned "Igbo". So, there is ultimately never a need to ever tell anyone to learn "Igbo" if they inquire about learning any of the constituting languages in the Igbo language family.

The only reasonable rationale for telling someone to learn Igbo (as in, learn the artificial dialect) first is simply with respect to a lack of language resources for that particular speech form they are inquiring about. Anything else (such as "learn language before dialect" ) ultimately makes zero sense.

3 Likes

Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by ariesbull: 5:53am On Jan 09, 2017
ChinenyeN:

This is poor reasoning.

To begin, there is no such thing as "Igbo language" beyond the fact that a phantom, artificial speech form has been created to represent the idea of the language family of speech forms that have now come to be called "Igbo".

Secondly, never in the history of mankind has it been necessary to learn a "language" before learning a "dialect". By the way, I put those terms in quotes for a reason.

Lastly, what you so casually refer to as "Igbo language" is nothing more than the sum total of the various, indigenous "dialects" that constitute it. Devoid "Igbo" of these "dialects", and you no longer have "Igbo language". So, to that extent, anyone who learns Ndoki can be said to have learned "Igbo". Anyone who learns Ibeku can be said to have learned "Igbo". Anyone who learns Ika can be said to have learned "Igbo". So, there is ultimately never a need to ever tell anyone to learn "Igbo" if they inquire about learning any of the constituting languages in the Igbo language family.

The only reasonable rationale for telling someone to learn Igbo (as in, learn the artificial dialect) first is simply with respect to a lack of language resources for that particular speech form they are inquiring about. Anything else (such as "learn language before dialect" ) ultimately makes zero sense.

Well, you made sense sir.. I like you analogy but we have Igbo language
Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by babyfaceafrica: 4:53pm On Jan 09, 2017
@Chinenye...well said.....no language is above another!!!
Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by 1shortblackboy: 3:01am On Jan 10, 2017
chinenyeN it took a while but im beginning to get u
Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by Khalilah: 4:18pm On Feb 07, 2017
bigfrancis21:

You may have to visit PH and live there a while to learn ikwerre dialect proper. Asides that there are very few resources online that teach you Ikwerre. There are ikwerre dialect songs and musics you could find on youtube but the content is geared towards ikwerre/igbo speakers and not really towards learners.

Your second best bet would be to learn central Igbo dialect (a standard igbo dialect created from several igbo dialects used for official writing and speaking and not natively spoken by any Igbo clan) specifically and modify the vocabulary here and there to ikwerre vocabulary. Some ikwerres may see their spoken speech as a 'different language' but what it basically is is a dialect of the Igboid dialects.

Thank you so much for the information.
Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by Khalilah: 6:20pm On Feb 07, 2017
I didn't mean to get a debate started. smiley I want to specifically learn Ikwerre because it is what my fiance and his family speaks. I have picked up some things, but would love to surprise him.

I do appreciate all the suggestions. I have looked at various videos on youtube and the internet in general, but without context or translation I can't really learn from that. I am not Nigerian and am not really familiar with any of the languages so I can't identify one from another.

My fiance speaks Ikwerre, but says he doesn't really understand Igbo. It was suggested that I learn central Igbo dialect. Are they that close that I would be able to easily switch out the words that are different? Would I just be causing myself more trouble and confusion? I'd like to know from someone who understands both if possible.
Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by ChinenyeN(m): 7:27pm On Feb 07, 2017
In truth, Khalilah, given enough time, you shouldn't have any problems switching from the standardized Igbo to Ikwerre, because Ikwerre shares the same fundamental language structure as that of standardized Igbo.

So, here's what I would recommend in your particular case. Since you're coming from zero background, and learning resources are scarce for Ikwerre, I would say learn the language fundamental structure from Igbo as well as sound pronunciation (the basic vowel and consonant sounds are the same for Igbo and Ikwerre). Then, transition to Ikwerre bit by bit by switching out standardized words and syntax for more Ikwerre-like constructions.

I recommend you use these two sites for reference between Ikwerre and Igbo.

Igbo - https://www.bible.com/bible/77/mat.1

General Ikwerre - http://ebible.org/ikwNT/MAT01.htm

*note: The Igbo in that link is not the current, modern standard Igbo, but it is enough that it will do, and it is the the best, freely and readily available reference I could get that is comparable to the Ikwerre link.

Alternatively, if you've got access to any one of his family members, you might be able to get them to help you by going over basic sentence construction in their own dialect of Ikwerre. You can then use the reference link above to help you learn more Ikwerre words expressions.

4 Likes

Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by Khalilah: 11:07pm On Feb 07, 2017
ChinenyeN

Thank you for the information. It has been rather difficult finding the exact relationship between the two languages/dialects. I appreciate the direction. I now have a place to start. Thanks again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by iSlayer: 4:39pm On Feb 08, 2017
ChinenyeN:
I remember a long while ago on NL, someone came asking for Ika/Ukwuani lessons. Someone suggested that they learn Igbo. Igbo people annoy me sometimes with responses like these. Igbo people... the same ones who refuse to bolster the "Igbo language", but yet insist that their dialects take second place to a static and artificial speech form.

If someone wants to learn Ikwere and you do not know of any resources for them, then leave it be. Learning "Igbo" is not equivalent to learning Ikwere. The same goes for each and every indigenous Igbo speech form.

Smh. You ehnnnn
Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by iSlayer: 4:45pm On Feb 08, 2017
ChinenyeN:
In truth, Khalilah, given enough time, you shouldn't have any problems switching from the standardized Igbo to Ikwerre, because Ikwerre shares the same fundamental language structure as that of standardized Igbo.

So, here's what I would recommend in your particular case. Since you're coming from zero background, and learning resources are scarce for Ikwerre, I would say learn the language fundamental structure from Igbo as well as sound pronunciation (the basic vowel and consonant sounds are the same for Igbo and Ikwerre). Then, transition to Ikwerre bit by bit by switching out standardized words and syntax for more Ikwerre-like constructions.

*note: The Igbo in that link is not the current, modern standard Igbo, but it is enough that it will do, and it is the the best, freely and readily available reference I could get that is comparable to the Ikwerre link.

Alternatively, if you've got access to any one of his family members, you might be able to get them to help you by going over basic sentence construction in their own dialect of Ikwerre. You can then use the reference link above to help you learn more Ikwerre words expressions.

Better.
Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by ChinenyeN(m): 5:08pm On Feb 08, 2017
iSlayer:
Smh. You ehnnnn

Nothing in that statement was incorrect.

iSlayer:
Better.

No. Not better. It simply was an appropriate solution for the OP's context, and concrete resources for a starting point which is what was needed.
Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by bigfrancis21: 6:39pm On Feb 08, 2017
ChinenyeN:

Oh suddenly, you're recommending her to learn to speak central Igbo now? When others suggested it initially, you called them out. Aren't you being Igbotic, the very same tag you try so hard to avoid on this forum? undecided

1 Like

Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by ChinenyeN(m): 7:02pm On Feb 08, 2017
Bigfrancis21, it's impossible for anyone to label me as Igbotic. Anyone who knows my methodology would know that my statements come from a wholly utilitarian perspective. I would never advocate for the OP to settle for Igbo in place of Ikwerre. I would never tell the OP to "just learn Igbo" in this given context, and I would never treat Igbo as anything more than the static, artificial and uninspiring speech form that it is. That would be Igbotic.

1 Like

Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by bigfrancis21: 7:35pm On Feb 08, 2017
Khalilah:
I didn't mean to get a debate started. smiley I want to specifically learn Ikwerre because it is what my fiance and his family speaks. I have picked up some things, but would love to surprise him.

I do appreciate all the suggestions. I have looked at various videos on youtube and the internet in general, but without context or translation I can't really learn from that. I am not Nigerian and am not really familiar with any of the languages so I can't identify one from another.

My fiance speaks Ikwerre, but says he doesn't really understand Igbo. It was suggested that I learn central Igbo dialect. Are they that close that I would be able to easily switch out the words that are different? Would I just be causing myself more trouble and confusion? I'd like to know from someone who understands both if possible.

Just to give you a brief history of the Ikwerre-Igbo saga. The word 'Igbo' as an ethnic group collective consciousness came with British colonization and was used to refer to bia-speaking clans who basically speak dialects or variants of the same language. The Ikwerre were classified under the southern Igbo people, together with Oratta, Ngwa etc. In terms of origin, Ikwerre people are said to be descendants of Arochukwu people (of Abia state), with later migrations from Awka (Anambra state). The elders born before the civil war still know their history. After the civil war ended in 1970 and Igbos lost, anti-Igbo discrimination in Nigeria was rife. To further disunite the Igbos and also economically, certain Igbo-speaking areas in the southern axis rich in crude oil were carved out from the Igboland borders and together made a new state, Rivers State with non-Igbo speaking minorities. After the civil war, many of these erstwhile 'pro-Igbo' people, who speak an Igbo dialect and bear Igbo names, saw the need to deny being Igbo to curry favour from the Federal Government and other Nigerians. The remaining part of Igbo-speaking area not balkanized was termed 'south east'. 1970 to 1990 in particular were tough for the Igbos who were recovering from the spoils and loss of war, the prevailing poverty and property damage that ravaged south east. The people known as 'Igbo' today are those who were left in the 'south eastern' zone or 'hinterland'. It's been over 40 years since the civil war was over, and the 'Igbo' people of the hinterland have moved on, progressed, caught up with their peers even exceeding their peers in some sectors, however many Ikwerre and many Igbo-speaking people of Rivers state (Etche, Ogba, Ndoki etc.) have continued to hold on to their 'separateness' from the 'Igbos'. The people today known as 'Igbos' of SE speak different dialects of their own, just like Ikwerre, and not one of them speaks the central Igbo as native dialect. Central Igbo was adopted in the 70s or 80s as standard Igbo orthography for spelling, writing, educational purposes and news broadcast. In other words, there is no 'Igbo' vs Ikwerre, but instead what we have is a bunch of bia-speakers (bia means come in most Igbo dialects) speaking different dialects lumped together as one called 'Igbo', and some Ikwerres find it convenient to 'compare' their dialect (or language as they would have it) vs Igbo (a conglomerate of different and varying dialects). In terms of ease to understand, many 'Igbos' from the SE say they find it easy to understand Ikwerre (a supposedly 'different' language from 'Igbo') compared to some Igbo dialects within the SE zone of 'Igbo speakers' such as Ezza and Ikwo dialects etc. Ikwerre dialect is very similar to central Igbo, especially the one spoken in Port-Harcourt metropolis and Ikwerre LGA. As a result of this, I find it hard to believe that your hubby says he does not understand 'Igbo' only Ikwerre, especially if he grew up in Port-Harcourt.

Sometimes, in the interior villages in the SE you would often find villagers who never left their villages all their lives who tend to be monolingual in only the Igbo dialect of their area compared to Igbos growing up in cities and towns who are often exposed to other Igbo dialects and central Igbo (taught in schools). It is no different for some Ikwerre villagers in the interior of Ikwerre-speaking areas who never left their villages all their lives. Because of their lack of exposure to other Igbo dialects, and their inability thereof to code-switch to another dialect other than that which they spoke all their lives, they often try to use this as a reason to be 'different', when such phenomenon is common in the Igbo hinterland.

Today in Rivers state, up to 70% of the population speak a variant or dialect of Igbo language. Interestingly, when speakers from several Rivers state Igbo-speaking clans meet up, they converse in the very same central Igbo which some would tell you they do not understand (to 'prove' they are not Igbo). As a result of politics (currying favor from the Nigerian government) and the abundance of crude oil over the last 40 years, many of these people still find it convenient to deny being Igbo and try to claim ancestry from elsewhere such as bini (the Ikwerres who never claimed bini ancestry up till 20 years ago have rewritten their history to 'claim ancestry from bini').

The Ikwerre-Igbo situation is a dicey one in the affairs of southern Nigeria. I agree that everyone has their right to self-determination. Will the Ikwerres continue to see themselves as different? Very likely. Will they return to pre-1967 status quo as Igbos? Doesn't seem likely. Personally, I see Ikwerre as an Igbo dialect, however, they may see their speech form as a language of its own. Two ethnic groups could speak basically dialects of the same language and see themselves as different (Urhobo and Isoko is an example), which is the likely case here for Ikwerre and Igbo. Despite the political separation, Ikwerre and other Igbo dialects are very related. In the absence of Ikwerre learning resources, learning central Igbo (learning the structure of the language and pronunciation) is a great way to start. Some basic Ikwerre sentences are:

Ndaa? How are you?
O buru oma I am fine (Aw buru aw ma)
Bia pa Come here (Be a pa)
I nu pa ele? Where are you? (E nu pa ey ley, when pronounced it comes out as I nu pele? The 'a' from 'pa' gets absorbed into the 'e' from ele)
Wene su badu (a response that comes after the exchange of pleasantries)

You could start by impressing your hubby with those few sentences. He'd be amazed! smiley

6 Likes

Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by bigfrancis21: 7:37pm On Feb 08, 2017
ChinenyeN:
Bigfrancis21, it's impossible for anyone to label me as Igbotic. Anyone who knows my methodology would know that my statements come from a wholly utilitarian perspective. I would never advocate for the OP to settle for Igbo in place of Ikwerre. I would never tell the OP to "just learn Igbo" in this given context, and I would never treat Igbo as anything more than the static, artificial and uninspiring speech form that it is. That would be Igbotic.

Fine, well stick to your antecedents then, otherwise your post up there suggesting her to learn central Igbo starts to make you look Igbotic. undecided

1 Like

Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by ChinenyeN(m): 8:06pm On Feb 08, 2017
bigfrancis21:
otherwise your post up there suggesting her to learn central Igbo starts to make you look Igbotic. undecided

It would only suggest such to someone who insists on being so dense that they willingly discard context.

2 Likes

Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by bigfrancis21: 8:10pm On Feb 08, 2017
ChinenyeN:

It would only suggest such to someone who insists on bring so dense that they willingly discard context.

Your grammar lacks meaning. Like I said, stick to your 'good job' of maintaining your antecedents on this forum. Changing stances does not make you credible does it?
Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by ariesbull: 8:16pm On Feb 08, 2017
Lies...The word Igbo predates British
Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by bigfrancis21: 8:27pm On Feb 08, 2017
ariesbull:

Lies...The word Igbo predates British

Read closely again, I said 'Igbo as a collective ethnic consciousness' came with British colonization. Not that Igbo as a word did not exist prior, it did. However, you know that Igbos did not see themselves as Igbo or as one. British colonization brought these bia-speakers together under one collective ethnic consciousness of Igbo.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Badmus A Yoruba Name? / Funny Names Zambian And Namibian Parents Give Their Children (photos) / Fanfare As Akanu Ohafia Holds 2021 Ekpe, New Yam Festivals (pix, VIDEO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.