Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,838 members, 7,806,359 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:21 PM

National Airline To Begin Operations This Year - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / National Airline To Begin Operations This Year (23132 Views)

New Lagos BRT Buses Begin Operations At The New Oshodi Bus Terminus - Photos / Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations / Nigeria Air: National Airline Unveiled (Photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jan 04, 2017

Hadi Sirika, minister of aviation, says Nigeria will have a very strong, viable national airline before the end of 2017.

Speaking to journalists in Abuja on Wednesday, Sirika said the project would be private sector driven, and the federal government may own only three percent of the airline.

“When we came in we were very clear on our targets and goals and what we set out to achieve, and we did say that Nigeria does need a national airline. The national airline will be one that the government will have no hand in; normally it can have three percent,” he said.

“It will be private sector-led, private sector-driven Except with the Ethiopian airline it has been proven that government doesn’t do well with this kind of venture.

"We are going to have a national carrier; it is on course and because it is a PPP thing it has to go through IC and C, and also has to follow all the due process. So it is time-consuming but I hope very soon before the end of the year we will have a very strong viable national airline.”

He said the carrier is necessary, considering the size of the market available in west and central Africa — equivalent to that of the US and Europe.

“For me, if any air line will have the capacity to deploy several aircraft with seamless operation, non disruptive, provide the service, go the long haul, take advantage and give other international airlines a run for their money, we don’t need to get involved; it is because there is none.

“The Nigerian Airways used to do all of these but in the wisdom of the then government they liberalised the sector, because of the absence of Nigeria’s capacity most of these airlines will come and leave as fast as they came in. But we are addressing all of these.

We are going to establish this national carrier and it will give good service. This is the solution because Nigeria has the market, we are 180 million, we are sitting in West Africa and in the West African market we are 450 million and Nigeria is the major player.

“If you add the Central Africa, which is the Central belt, we are 600 million people, which is equivalent to the US market and also equal to the European market.”

Nigeria’s previous national carrier was the Nigeria Airways, wholly owned by the government and founded in 1958 after the dissolution of West African Airways Corporation, but it ceased operations in 2003.

https://thenigerian.ng/national-airline-begin-operations-year/

5 Likes

Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by acenazt: 8:01pm On Jan 04, 2017
Correct!!!! Fly Air Naija.

15 Likes

Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by alizma: 8:10pm On Jan 04, 2017
good one

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by HtwoOw: 8:21pm On Jan 04, 2017
Now that's why i campaigned and Voted Buhari

National treasure being returned to the rightful owner

#Can'tWaitForNigerianAirways

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jan 04, 2017
HtwoOw:

I can guarantee you vote the right person. But we not should think the evil of the past can be corrected in a limited period of time. It's always and everywhere a work in progress.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by HtwoOw: 8:42pm On Jan 04, 2017
FriendChoice:

I can guarantee you vote the right person. But we not should think the evil of the past can be corrected in a limited period of time. It's always and everywhere a work in progress.

Personally i have nothing against GEJ and his mistakes, afterall he's only human, but his followers are trying to paint an image of a saint while painting Buhari as the devil , Cuban president held power for over 50 years just to make sure his country was better and the people saw it , as a matter of fact since buhari has been elected , we have been seeing the good he has in his heart for this country

However these people are always pissing me off , praising GEJ for the loads of failure , 5 Good years he didn't revive any national treasure instead he shared among friends , Refinery , Airline, Power ,e.t.c. all lay dead

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by idupaul: 8:46pm On Jan 04, 2017
HtwoOw:

Same man that destroyed Nigeria Airways

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by Blue3k(m): 8:48pm On Jan 04, 2017
Meh lets hope they dont run it into ground.
Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by Inkredible(m): 8:58pm On Jan 04, 2017
undecided

For thier pocket because really...

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by yomibelle(f): 8:59pm On Jan 04, 2017
We are going to establish this national carrier

hmmm
Nigeria and future tenses
hope it comes to fulfilment sha

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by ojun50(m): 9:01pm On Jan 04, 2017
Another new year story we are watching

7 Likes

Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by idu1(m): 9:03pm On Jan 04, 2017
In which month exactly?

1 Like

Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by checkolatunji: 9:03pm On Jan 04, 2017
AfonjasMustDie:

I pray that all their plans will crumble to the ground

They will not achieve this feat and it will be a failed project in Jesus name

Amen

Same to you

Amen

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jan 04, 2017
It might be good on the pages of newspaper but i want it done before i can give credit to any govt

10 Likes

Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jan 04, 2017
Let's hope this is successful.

There's a very large market to take advantage of.

optimistically, it won't be mismanaged as it was by past administrations.

One "prophet" predicted this, can't remember his name LOL. Maybe this is a sign to give him more money as tithe...lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by yomalex(m): 9:05pm On Jan 04, 2017
YaaaaaaaaY
Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by ephi123(f): 9:05pm On Jan 04, 2017
if it's truly private sector driven, then chances of it succeeding is much higher.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by abumeinben(m): 9:05pm On Jan 04, 2017
Bring back NEPA!

2 Likes

Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by Jaguntemmy(m): 9:07pm On Jan 04, 2017
idupaul:

Same man that destroyed Nior your mind
geria Airways
Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by martineverest(m): 9:08pm On Jan 04, 2017
bad news for arik
Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by dfrost: 9:09pm On Jan 04, 2017
Okay. Let's see how it unfolds.
Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by nextstep(m): 9:10pm On Jan 04, 2017
acenazt:
Correct!!!! Fly Air Naija.

... because the Nigerian government has a stellar record of providing services tongue

Can't wait to hear tales of ill-maintained aircraft, owing workers 9 months salary, ghost workers, inflated maintenance contracts, 0% on-time departures, pilot strikes, luggage handler strikes, and deadlock about ticket subsidy.

Imagine the government running a mobile company, airline, or bank as well as it has handled the power situation...

And as we all know, the best time to start a capital-intensive airline is when there is little forex, people are flying less, and fuel is costing more. Thumbs up to our leaders. SMH

8 Likes

Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by Moneyyy: 9:10pm On Jan 04, 2017
Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by erico2k2(m): 9:11pm On Jan 04, 2017
HtwoOw:

Personally i have nothing against GEJ and his mistakes, afterall he's only human, but his followers are trying to paint an image of a saint while painting Buhari as the devil , Cuban president held power for over 50 years just to make sure his country was better and the people saw it , as a matter of fact since buhari has been elected , we have been seeing the good he has in his heart for this country

However these people are always pissing me off , praising GEJ for the loads of failure , 5 Good years he didn't revive any national treasure instead he shared among friends , Refinery , Airline, Power ,e.t.c. all lay dead
Plz tell me one thing that is good today since PMB came to power
Can U B bold to shout Sia Baba at a petrol station? ?

6 Likes

Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by jinxet2000: 9:11pm On Jan 04, 2017
They have come again. Last week it was N5,000 naira payment to be made to less privileged youths in Nigeria, today it is national carrier to start flying in Nigeria. I am just hearing and looking. Soon, they will say that 1 dollar will start selling for 1N or fuel will start selling for N97. Meanwhile there is speculation that prices of fuel will increase. Symptoms of confusion and deception

6 Likes

Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by erico2k2(m): 9:12pm On Jan 04, 2017
ephi123:
if it's truly private sector driven, then chances of it succeeding is much higher.
What happened to Virgin Nigeria

1 Like

Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by MrMcJay(m): 9:13pm On Jan 04, 2017
AfonjasMustDie:

I pray that all their plans will crumble to the ground

They will not achieve this feat and it will be a failed project in Jesus name

Amen

Your problem is not just that you're foolish, it is the fact that you're zealous with your foolishness.

Instead of you to pray that things would get better so your parents can take you to a psychiatric hospital, you're here disgracing your lineage.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by iukpe: 9:13pm On Jan 04, 2017
AfonjasMustDie:

I pray that all their [b]your
plans will crumble to the ground

TheyYou [/b]will not achieve this [b]your feat and it you [/b]will be a failed project in Jesus name

Amen

However Jesus is no JUJU to answer evil prayers

4 Likes

Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by idupaul: 9:13pm On Jan 04, 2017
Anyone that expects a Man that inherited a Nigeria Airways with 30 new aircraft in 1984 and left barely four Aircrafts 22 months later with 1000 job losses to successfully raise an airline from scratch must be on some good skunk

9 Likes

Re: National Airline To Begin Operations This Year by LOSKYXANDER: 9:14pm On Jan 04, 2017
The type of airline where politician fly for free? like say free ticket na their birth right

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ongoing Awka Millennium City Full Coverage (video & Photos) / Car Carrying 7 Passengers Veers Off The Road,lands Into River In Calabar(photos / Igoba Town, Akure, Ondo State Wears New Look

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.