Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,915 members, 7,802,978 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:20 AM

Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes (36094 Views)

Which Chemical Is Used For Preserving Dried Unsheeled Groundnut / 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant / Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by ziga: 5:24pm On Jan 07, 2017
It is great that the tomatoes do not become rotten.

The question is what are the negative effects of soaking food that is to be eaten in ashes

I guess we will never find out, because when bad things happen in Africa, it is because God ordained it. And not that an idea wasn't properly tested before being endorsed.

1 Like

Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by InfinixMine: 5:26pm On Jan 07, 2017
Good one Burundi... but anyways some are

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by Goahead(m): 5:26pm On Jan 07, 2017
One problem!! where to find ash cry
Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by dingbang(m): 5:26pm On Jan 07, 2017
Sweet
Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by Realdeals(m): 5:27pm On Jan 07, 2017
Nice one!
Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by adepa(f): 5:27pm On Jan 07, 2017
Ash is a good preservative method.

1 Like

Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by chuksville(m): 5:28pm On Jan 07, 2017
Chai, Naija My Land Neva Discover Anything... See Burundi Small Country... Ntoo!

Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by Kay17: 5:28pm On Jan 07, 2017
African brains
Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by glossy6(f): 5:28pm On Jan 07, 2017
We've been keeping tomatoes in ashes before now nah
Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by MAXIMAL123(m): 5:29pm On Jan 07, 2017
Let assume u wants to preserve more tomatoes in a large quantities for more profits during the scarcity period, that means u most get many bags of ashes as more as possible for the the preservation. I dnt see dis working more on those that wants to use it for serious business but for just small quantities I guess.
But still, kudos to the native intelligence which will surely open perfect discovery doors for more perfect preservative means
Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by Pavore9: 5:30pm On Jan 07, 2017
Goahead:

It is abundance where firewood is being used especially centres where garri is being fried on a daily basis.

4 Likes

Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by guysis(m): 5:30pm On Jan 07, 2017
Let's just hope it doesn't have health implications.
Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by baby124: 5:36pm On Jan 07, 2017
Instead of the silly man to carefully consult with people, package and patent the idea. He has used his big mouth to deny himself wealth. Smh.

3 Likes

Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by Sonn(m): 5:36pm On Jan 07, 2017
what a welcomed development
Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by suyamasta(m): 5:36pm On Jan 07, 2017
glossy6:
We've been keeping tomatoes in ashes before now nah
Are you sure?
Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by justjify(m): 5:37pm On Jan 07, 2017
Goahead:
Go and burn your house wink

2 Likes

Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by Sonn(m): 5:38pm On Jan 07, 2017
baby124:
Instead of the silly man to carefully consult with people, package and patent the idea. He has used his big mouth to deny himself wealth. Smh.
your color..

1 Like

Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by Vokians(m): 5:39pm On Jan 07, 2017
Is it that the banana tree produces ash or ash from firewood were deposited there?
Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by suyamasta(m): 5:40pm On Jan 07, 2017
Vokians:
Is it that the banana tree produces ash or ash from firewood were deposited there?
Ash from firewood

2 Likes

Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by suyamasta(m): 5:42pm On Jan 07, 2017
baby124:
There is open source na

1 Like

Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by 2sexynet: 5:43pm On Jan 07, 2017
instead of you lots to google the effect, you are hear asking stupid questions and I know we have Bsc holders as grads among those asking stupid question.
Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by Moblord(m): 5:49pm On Jan 07, 2017
I have been using this.. this is not to preserve but to make it ripe early, works also on mangoes etc
Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by alsudaes1(m): 6:03pm On Jan 07, 2017
Pavore9:
Native intelligence.

At its peak. . .
Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by Praktikals(m): 6:10pm On Jan 07, 2017
God bless Vital Nduwimana.

1 Like

Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by Praktikals(m): 6:17pm On Jan 07, 2017
baby124:
You are the silly one here. And this mentality is what is holding us back as a people. If you goto youtube you ll see how much information people are sharing free of charge. Anybody can then pick up from where he stopped for the benefit of all.

4 Likes

Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by yinkslinks(m): 6:20pm On Jan 07, 2017
Wonderful God. Ash will now be something money can buy now grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin no more waste
suyamasta:
Vital Nduwimana hated how many tomatoes he lost every season. For years, his tomatoes started rotting just three or four days after harvest. He felt frustrated.

Mr. Nduwimana explains: “I was not able to sell all my tomatoes; I lost almost half of my production. Worse still, I would sell at a low price in the market. So in 2015, I thought that maybe I should find a tomato conservation technique.”

Mr. Nduwimana grows tomatoes in eastern Burundi, on Kabuyenge hill, five kilometres from the Tanzanian border.

In eastern Burundi, tomatoes are abundant during the harvest months of August and September. But growers find it difficult to keep tomatoes for later sale, which leads to a large number of tomatoes rotting.

Mr. Nduwimana tried several techniques to solve his problem. He tried storing his tomatoes in water, in clay, underground, in cartons, and even in sand. He tried everything that came to his mind—but without success.

Then one day, he noticed that the tomatoes he had kept next to his banana trees were not rotten. Then he noticed the ash at the foot of the banana trees.

He decided to try keeping his tomatoes in ash and found that this was more effective than any of the other techniques he had tried.

He uses ash from a chimney, and sifts it three or four times to remove large residues, debris, and other foreign materials. Then, he dumps the ash into a paper carton and places the tomatoes in the carton. With this technique, Mr. Nduwimana manages to safely store his tomatoes for many months.

He explains: “I keep my tomatoes in the ash for a period of five to six months, so I can sell them in December, January, or February when the price has risen—since tomatoes are rare and become expensive during this period.“

Jean Nivyabandi is an agronomist. He says using ash has no negative effect on the tomatoes, which can be consumed safely. He explains, “There is no risk of tomato toxicity after storage in ash.”

Nevertheless, the agronomist wants the Institute of Agronomic Sciences of Burundi to conduct tests to scientifically validate Mr. Nduwimana’s technique.

Meanwhile, other tomato growers in Cibitoke—the main tomato-producing region of Burundi— have been inspired to try the techniques themselves.

Judith Bizmana also grows tomatoes in Cibitoke. She says: “I can normally harvest between 550 and 600 kilograms of tomatoes per season. But … I would lose nearly half of my production. Today, I rub my hands and smile all the time. Thanks to Mr. Nduwimana’s technique, I can keep my tomatoes [and] wait for the price to rise in the market, knowing that very few of them will rot.”

Meanwhile, the innovative farmer has changed his life. Mr. Nduwimana says: “With the income from the sale of tomatoes, I opened a small restaurant and I am a permanent supplier of tomatoes to restaurants in the provincial capital. I supply the whole market, and I have created jobs, too. My whole life has changed. In the future, I plan to buy a truck to transport my tomatoes.”

Source: http://wire.farmradio.fm/en/farmer-stories/2016/11/burundi-farmer-finds-new-technique-for-preserving-tomatoes-15454
Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by Eedrisa(m): 6:22pm On Jan 07, 2017
My wife started rejoicing after reading dis. Solution to Almighty tomatoes issues. No more Past Tomatoes

Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by ultimate73(m): 6:22pm On Jan 07, 2017
dats awesome
Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by baby124: 6:23pm On Jan 07, 2017
Praktikals:

You are the silly one here. And this mentality is what is holding us back as a people. If you goto youtube you ll see how much information people are sharing free of charge. Anybody can then pick up from where he stopped for the benefit of all.
You are a dumb child. An agricultural finding is not the same as how to effectively plait hair or fix radio. YouTube fanatic. Lmao. How do you think the rich farmers do it Continue with your dim thinking.
Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by davidif: 6:25pm On Jan 07, 2017
Wow! Great news from the continent.
Re: Burundi: Farmer Finds New Technique For Preserving Tomatoes by Kayswat(m): 6:32pm On Jan 07, 2017
Ashes has been the major enemy of nematode which is the most numerous and destructive pest of most crop. Thanks for bringing this into limelight.

IT'S OUR WORK OOO

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Maize Farm Destroyed In Jol Plateau, Helpless Woman In Pains (Photo) / Practical Snail Farming. All About Snailery! / How We Celebrated Independence Day With Fried Plantains And Egg Sauce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.