Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,384 members, 7,781,094 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:48 AM

Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil (3923 Views)

Reuben Abati: The Senate, CCT And The Politics Of Saraki’s Trial / Six Lessons We Have Learnt By Reuben Abati / Reuben Abati: The Jonathan They Dont Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by Nobody: 11:51pm On Nov 22, 2009
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/editorial_opinion/article02//indexn2_html?pdate=221109&ptitle=What%20Manner%20Of%20Lawmakers?

The Black-out In Brazil

THE unusual, the unbelievable if I may say so, but something that is familiar and taken for granted in Nigeria, occurred in Brazil on Tuesday, November 10, when many cities in the country that is rated as one of the emergent economies in the world, were suddenly plunged into darkness for more than five hours. The problem was caused by a malfunction at the Itapu power plant, which provides electricity for both Brazil and Paraguay.

This was not the first time that Brazil will experience power outage, it happened in 2001 and 2002, but still the occurrence was so strange that it created the equivalent of a culture shock especially in cities like Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Belo Horizonte, Espirito Santo, Recife, and Taguatinga. The cities suddenly became dark. Trains, lifts, anything that was powered by electricity stopped. Brazil is scheduled to host the World Cup in 2014 and the Olympics in 2016. The residents thought that a national tragedy was afoot.

The Itapu plant supplies about 14, 000 megawatts of electricity and it is not the only source of electricity in Brazil. With the five-hour or so long power outage, Brazilians resorted to the use of candles. There were expressions of fear and anxiety. The Internet was suddenly agog with analysis of probable causes and implications. Reading all of that, I laughed! Can you imagine Brazilians treating the candle as if it was a strange, exotic source of light? And what was all that drama about power outage for five hours all about? They should come to Nigeria where power outage is a fact of daily existence. There are parts of Nigeria where there is no electricity supply for months, even a whole year and people still manage to survive.

Only one power plant in Brazil generates as much as 14, 000 megawatts, and that is just one plant out of so many. Brazil has a population of 193. Seven million persons. Nigeria with its 140 million people is unable to generate enough electricity to keep it going.

A month ago, the whole of Nigeria had to ration about 1, 400 mega watts. It is taken for granted around the country that electricity is a luxury even now that the electricity body, PHCN tells us that Nigerians can now enjoy about 3, 300 mega watts of electricity thanks to the amnesty deal between the Federal Government and Niger Delta militants. Compare 3,300 MW to Brazil's 14,000 MW representing only 20% of its total power supply.

In Nigeria, the Presidential Villa at the Federal Capital, the airports, the seaports are all powered by generators. Governments at all levels buy generators and distribute to various public offices. Even the electricity corporation, the PHCN, runs its offices with the aid of generating sets!

Many Brazilians thought a candle was something romantic. In Nigeria, a candle is a precious commodity, the same with torchlights, which come handy in the event of power outage. Lula da Silva, Brazil's President is very popular among his people; there were no questions about official failure. He is a lucky man.

In Nigeria in comparison, the failure to provide regular electricity is taken as a comment on the quality of the country's leadership. By 1960, Nigeria and Brazil were both classified as emerging economies of promise. Close to fifty years later, Brazil has fulfilled its promise, ranked as it is alongside some of the fastest growing economies in the world (Russia, India, China).

Nigeria remains in the doldrums; it is now a spectator-nation. The day a stick of candle becomes a piece of decoration and not a source of energy in Nigeria; that will be a great day indeed.
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by Beaf: 12:00am On Nov 23, 2009
. . .
The residents thought that a national tragedy was afoot.
. . .

shocked shocked shocked
www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6

Dem neva see PHCN.
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by bibiking1(m): 12:32am On Nov 23, 2009
These people are wasting energy! When the whole of nigeria can manage 2000 mega watts, why generate 14000? That is why they probably have a poor market for power generating sets! Nigeria would show the world that you do not need all those functional power plants to survive. Two thousand mega watts is enough for us!
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by Nobody: 12:42am On Nov 23, 2009
^^^^^

word is bond!!!

posting this thanks to my generator

who needs PHCN - when u've had uninterrupted blackout for the past three weeks tongue
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by redsun(m): 1:50am On Nov 23, 2009
http://www.your.umich.edu/9900/Oct18_99/8.htm

How safe are candles used in nigeria and the way they are used?People blame most sicknesses and deaths on witch crafts and mysteries but things that kill people most are every day mundane stuffs they ignorantly and compulsorily use as result of bad government.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/6056323/Romantic-candles-could-cause-cancer-say-scientists.html
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by Jakumo(m): 5:49am On Nov 23, 2009
It will probably take a few eons before the world comes to appreciate Nigeria's pioneering role in weaning planet Earth off its electricity addiction.

In short, electricity will only ever be missed by those who are too lazy to gather firewood, and too ignorant to rub a pair of stones together to ignite that wood, such that it serves both as FREE illumination and cooking fuel.
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by Kobojunkie: 5:57am On Nov 23, 2009
In Nigeria, the Presidential Villa at the Federal Capital, the airports, the seaports are all powered by generators. Governments at all levels buy generators and distribute to various public offices. Even the electricity corporation, the PHCN, runs its offices with the aid of generating sets!

This is a National Tragedy. That we spend[b] [size=14pt]Naira 796 BILLION [/size][/b] a year on generators and generator accessories to supply power to a very small portion of the population is a shame.
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by Jakumo(m): 6:02am On Nov 23, 2009
Hey, I love the sound of an old generator in the morning. It sounds like victory.
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by Pataki: 6:04am On Nov 23, 2009
A government that invests in generators rather than innovative technological means of generating sustainable electricity for its citizens is totally useless. While Brazil today can boast of using the ''un-usable'' to generate its own power supply, Nigeria on the other hand boasts of it pecuniary strength to buy noiseless and environment-destroying generators for its own economical development. The world surely has a lot to learn from us.
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by yomitesp(m): 11:15am On Nov 23, 2009
Pataki:

A government that invests in generators rather than innovative technological means of generating sustainable electricity for its citizens is totally useless. While Brazil today can boast of using the ''un-usable'' to generate its own power supply, Nigeria on the other hand boasts of it pecuniary strength to buy noiseless and environment-destroying generators for its own economical development. The world surely has a lot to learn from us.

Seconded !!!
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by mygladness: 11:24am On Nov 23, 2009
We are too much in Naija, Brazil sure needs to learn from us. How can power outage warrant panic when PHCN is an unreliable back-up in our land, Generator is the main.
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by GTay(m): 11:49am On Nov 23, 2009
oyb:

A very interesting article, a sad picture of where we are as a country

BTW i seem to know one PHCN office that banned the use of Generators within the office premises. It was run by a woman - and she was highly revered.
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by MUZBO(m): 12:55pm On Nov 23, 2009
Just 5 hours of blackout they wan die!
What will they do if their football team fails to qualify for the world cup or if the whole of the Amazonian rain forest is gutted by fire?
The good life. . .
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by kehindebad(m): 1:32pm On Nov 23, 2009
As much as i appreciate mr abati's writeup
he really hasn't said anything we didnt know before,
& for the 100th time, Mr abati, offer solutions!!!

you don't go around knocking Nigeria & Nigerians down without
proferring a solution.

1 Like

Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by HAH: 1:36pm On Nov 23, 2009
I learnt we spent 4 trillion naira annually to buy and service generators in Nigeria. I may somehow believe it as small as iam i  buy gen every year and  buy fuel of 6000 weekly so going by that i spend about 500k annually.
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by YoungBrain: 1:40pm On Nov 23, 2009
@Jakumo

Hey, I love the sound of an old generator in the morning. It sounds like victory.

It sounds even better when you come back from work late at night, start the gen and it picks up the very first time
without any faults whatsoever
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by Nezan(m): 1:42pm On Nov 23, 2009
l.w.k.m.d.!!
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by aieromon(m): 1:50pm On Nov 23, 2009
**Hey,NEPA has ''brought'' light**

**Oh no,they've ''taken it again!Til tomorrow before we ''see'' light again.Damn!**
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by Kobojunkie: 2:08pm On Nov 23, 2009
HAH:

I learnt we spent 4 trillion naira annually to buy and service generators in Nigeria. I may somehow believe it as small as iam i buy gen every year and buy fuel of 6000 weekly so going by that i spend about 500k annually.

Please look into solar technology. If you already spend that much per annum, then you are one of the best candidates out there for solar power generation. Will probably cost about the same amount for you to purchase and install, and will eliminate the need for you to pay over and over for it every year.
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by HAH: 2:22pm On Nov 23, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Please look into solar technology. If you already spend that much per annum, then you are one of the best candidates out there for solar power generation. Will probably cost about the same amount for you to purchase and install, and will eliminate the need for you to pay over and over for it every year.

My brother i once attempted it and was given a budget of 3million to power my three bedroom bungalow so i quickly withdrew
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by cecegorz(m): 2:26pm On Nov 23, 2009
Can somebody tell Reuben to come out and run for a public office for once. At least Gani once threw his hat in the ring, albeit unsuccessfully, ditto Pat Utomi.

Talk is cheap, even cheaper by the dozen these days. He is not saying anything new from what even my grand ma in the village knows. We need people to go and 'show them' how to do it, practically, not just an arm chair critic.

Be sure that me and my household will vote for you any day. Thats if the day ever comes.

All we need are the DOERS of the word, not just hearers or preachers, as it were.
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by RichyBlacK(m): 2:34pm On Nov 23, 2009
Nigeria has the most useless government humanity has ever had!
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by Kobojunkie: 2:35pm On Nov 23, 2009
HAH:

My brother i once attempted it and was given a budget of 3million to power my three bedroom bungalow so i quickly withdrew

3 Million? WOW!!! That is way out there!!! Have you tried DOING IT YOURSELF? You could purchase and install the panels and all yourself if you wanted to.
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by stede(m): 3:06pm On Nov 23, 2009
we ve been used to it in nigeria
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by tunnytox(m): 3:35pm On Nov 23, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Nigeria has the most useless government humanity has ever had!

Seconded, all indices pointing towards the fact that Nigeria is a FAILED state what a shame
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by Tcrack(m): 3:41pm On Nov 23, 2009
We shall get there on day. Insha'Allah
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by Nobody: 3:57pm On Nov 23, 2009
YoungBrain:

@Jakumo

It sounds even better when you come back from work late at night, start the gen and it picks up the very first time
without any faults whatsoever
I feel you oh, as i go to my office each morning my major prayer is that my old faithful Generator should start at first kick because it has a technique, if it does not start the first time you have to wiat for thirty minutes and give it all you have, pull strong, fast and furious. I have to include and make provision for a new Generator for next years budget oh. If not at this rate, i wont have strenght to type on Nairaland, all my energy would go towards starting Gen
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by AjanleKoko: 3:59pm On Nov 23, 2009
Was in a BA flight to Baltimore in August, from Heathrow.
Cabin lights were switched off prior to take-off, and one little Nigerian girl in the aisle shouted 'NEPA!'
I'm not kidding. This actually happened. Could not stop laughing.
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by tanimz(f): 4:02pm On Nov 23, 2009
There was a black in South Bronx last thursday, it lasted for about 30 seconds.  The darkness was scary, I can't believe that I was scared!!

I miss Naija!! wink wink wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by ej: 4:20pm On Nov 23, 2009
don't worry Reuben, very soon it will be possible to generate light from darkness, in Nigeria we are already thinking like that
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by bandely(m): 4:27pm On Nov 23, 2009
ej:

don't worry Reuben, very soon it will be possible to generate light from darkness, in Nigeria we are already thinking like that
Sounds to me like a Bank PHB man! grin grin grin
Re: Reuben Abati - The Black-out In Brazil by Jaylone(m): 4:39pm On Nov 23, 2009
bibiking1:

These people are wasting energy! When the whole of nigeria can manage 2000 mega watts, why generate 14000? That is why they probably have a poor market for power generating sets! Nigeria would show the world that you do not need all those functional power plants to survive. Two thousand mega watts is enough for us!

True
I really believe this is true

(1) (2) (Reply)

Favorite African Revolutionary Leaders / Why Buhari Absconded From Debate With Jonathan / PDP Has Raped Our Economy - Says Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.