Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,069 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:17 PM

6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power (4750 Views)

We’ll Deliver 20,000mw Of Power In Four Years: Buhari / Buhari’s Supporters Are Silly And Unrealistic - Etcetera / FG Reassures Nigerians Of 20,000MW Of Electricity By 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by OAM4J: 7:51am On Nov 23, 2009
The December deadline promised by the Federal Government to generate 6,000 megawatts of electricity supply may have eventually been a mirage as only 3,500 megawatts have so far be generated.

The indication to this was disclosed by the Minister of Power, Dr Olanrewaju Babalola, in an interactive session with newsmen during his official visit to Gereku power station located at Ajaokuta, Kogi State, at the weekend.

Dr Babalola revealed that power generation, as at the weekend, stood at 3,500mw but explained that the most important thing being put in place was to have efficient power system, “whether we realise the 6,000 or 10,000mw and this is what we are trying to do.”

While submitting that the Federal Government was committed to improving power supply in the country, the minister said that efforts were in top gear to ensure 100 per cent connection of the power generated to the grid.

Speaking on solar energy as an alternative power supply, Babalola, who lauded the technology, however, said that solar energy as designed could only deliver a fraction of what was expected, stressing that the energy was not as efficient as it should be, particularly, in urban areas, adding that its components could not be sourced locally.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/23112009/news/news9.html
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by OAM4J: 7:53am On Nov 23, 2009
What is realistic with this government? Another promise not kept
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by ono(m): 7:53am On Nov 23, 2009
Who cares.
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by Jakumo(m): 7:57am On Nov 23, 2009
Nigerians must learn to be patient, especially in light of government assurances that uninterrupted electrical power will flow abundantly in Nigeria NO LATER THAN the year 2053.
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by princekevo(m): 8:04am On Nov 23, 2009
As if we took the promise so seriouse. We all knew it was one of those promises from our bloody politicians
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by OAM4J: 8:23am On Nov 23, 2009
princekevo:

As if we took the promise so seriouse. We all knew it was one of those promises from our bloody politicians

My bad. Why did I think that was the least they could do after 2 years in power?
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by nellaluv(f): 8:44am On Nov 23, 2009
We were already expecting that, so it didn't come as a surprise. Nah, what am i even saying, this is naija, nothing surprises us anymore. Suffering and smiling, the naija factor tongue.
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by Nobody: 9:00am On Nov 23, 2009
Im not surprise at all.with bribing &coruption here there,how will it be realistic in the first place?abeg make we hear word.
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by Jakumo(m): 9:02am On Nov 23, 2009
Bogus and empty promises are the CENTRAL pillar supporting Nigeria's philosophy of governance, for those fibs provide temporary hope to the population of better days ahead, which naturally establishes a conducive atmosphere for the comprehensive looting of state treasuries by the kleptomaniac ruling class, who are always careful to complete the creative accounting process before inevitably apologising to the populace for tricking them yet again.

As a recent example, there can be no denying those momentarily positive psychological effects accrued from the widespread euphoria that followed the pronouncement by Nigeria's ex-Looter-in-Chief Obasanjo, who  declared that the total absence of electrical power in Nigeria was a matter of "great concern" which required "urgent action".        That "urgent action" turned out to be the immediate theft by Obasanjo of every last dime from a $16 billion fund earmarked for electricity generation, in time-worn conformance with tradition, and in fair exchange for a blissful period of national optimism created conveniently by the tasty dish of blatant lies served up earlier.   Praise the Lord !
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by FrankC3: 9:26am On Nov 23, 2009
It think it should be clearly noted that the promise was not an injection of fresh 6000mw into the national grid courtesy of Yar'adua administration but to generate some megawatts added to the existing one to make up 6000mw. Maybe, somebody can give us an insight on what the last regime handed over to these guys so that we can correctly appreciate their lack of capacity to deliver.
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by OAM4J: 9:39am On Nov 23, 2009
Frank-C:

It think it should be clearly noted that the promise was not an injection of fresh 6000mw into the national grid courtesy of Yar'adua administration but to generate some megawatts added to the existing one to make up 6000mw. Maybe, somebody can give us an insight on what the last regime handed over to these guys so that we can correctly appreciate their lack of capacity to deliver.

When Obj was leaving, they were generating more than 3000mw. Suddenly after Yar'adua came in, it went down to 2000mw. They promised to generate and distribute 6000mw by Dec 2009. Today they are generating 3500mw after 2 years. What an achievement!!!
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by Jaybee2412(m): 9:40am On Nov 23, 2009
The sad thing is that they will consider it unnecessary to apologise to the people of Nigeria for not being able to deliver on their promises and tell us why. Did you notice the minister saying
Dr Babalola revealed that power generation, as at the weekend, stood at 3,500mw but explained that the most important thing being put in place was to have efficient power system, “whether we realise the 6,000 or 10,000mw and this is what we are trying to do.”
That was indeed very rude and arrogant.
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by Jaybee2412(m): 9:47am On Nov 23, 2009
How are we sure that it is not 1500mw they are calling 3500mw. Have you noticed any improvement in power supply in your area from what you had before? even an hour more?
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by chidichris(m): 10:24am On Nov 23, 2009
my worries lie in the way this particular pdp members are shameless in making promises.
another idiot is even promising anambra ppl on how he is going to make their state become dubai and taiwan overnight.
a pdp and a nigeria under the care of obasanjo can do nothing better than these stupid and empty promises just to excite their never get tired fans.
from the way things are going, one will not be surprise if nigeria goes back to the days of lamps and candles.
very soon, the unemployed members of the senate will make it a law that generator users will face life imprisoment.
naija the land of possibilities.
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by Nobody: 10:31am On Nov 23, 2009
I knew I knew it, I kept telling Ebuka but he said the minster is bla bla bla. When they started blaming it on Militants and Gas i knew they were not doing shit. A cousin who works with Mobil said they have made gas ready but no turbines to nkeep them and till November the money for turbines had not been released. Bunch of Idioits
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by bibiking1(m): 10:41am On Nov 23, 2009
you all are pouring unnecessary vituperations on a foregone conclusion. This government would not generate up to that promised capacity when this first tranch of their tenure expires! And besides this current minister would soon be sacked and all the faults for the inability to achieve that propaganda figure stacked on his weird head! I so love vision 2053! It exemplifies the multiplicity of an enduring hope.
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by citizenY(m): 10:51am On Nov 23, 2009
WINDMILL OR NO WINDMILL, LIFE MUST STILL CONTINUE undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by hajifaty: 11:02am On Nov 23, 2009
The govts are  foolish and morons. They know the right way to go about solving these problems but they do like to  drive around the bush in order to satify their selffish interest.
Nigeria is rich enough to generate surplus electricity for the whole country within months. Maybe they should import electricity from their oyibo masters cuz everything in naija na impoted.
each state should be allowed to generate electricity for themselves and not waiting for the FG cuz every abt Fg is to embezzle the public funds. OBJ spent  billions on naira generating of electricity     before he left office. where are the outcome of the money? No record
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by FrankC3: 12:19pm On Nov 23, 2009
YRD just lack the requisite capacity to pull anything through. First, who are the guys driving this process? What is their antecedents? What has Mr Babalola achieved before? YRD is not just a light weight but a serious mediocre who is more secure in the midst of fellow mediocre. I keep wondering the star of this regime? I cant see any Soludo, no Okonjo-Iweala, no Ezekwesili, no El-Rufai, no Ribadu, no intelligent, courageous person in a whole team. What is the problem here? No wonder we are sliding further downwards from pre 2007 times. In all spheres apart from corruption!
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by yeswecan(m): 1:00pm On Nov 23, 2009
what a shame
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by remoranger(m): 11:34am On Nov 24, 2009
Na today? tongue Na so we go dey dey?
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by chidichris(m): 11:38am On Nov 24, 2009
6000mw promise is as realistic as other pdp promises.
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by fredoooooo: 11:41am On Nov 24, 2009
baba go slow, yar adua
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by question(m): 11:43am On Nov 24, 2009
Na today? LOL
Nigeria, a land of wasted resources.
Human and natural resources.
fredoooooo:

baba go slow, yar adua

Baba reverse gear.
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by sandee575(f): 11:46am On Nov 24, 2009
i never believed it was feasible so im unmoved
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by nex(m): 11:52am On Nov 24, 2009
Let's Kill Him.

I really am not joking. Let's kill this Olarenwaju Babalola guy so that any other person who cannot do the job they are appointed to do will humbly step down. Dora Akunyili, Ahmadu Shaibu, Rilwan Lukman, all of them will then become afraid of failure.

Guys, I'm not playing here. By December 31st 2009, no 6,000 MW, let's just declare Mob action on him. Enough of this crap.
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by olisa07: 12:24pm On Nov 24, 2009
Who Cares about the bleeping promise.

This government and its empty plans.

May God save Nigeria!
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by theviper1: 12:31pm On Nov 24, 2009
i hope that no one is getting angry over this 6000mw of undelivered promise by the ruling partially dead party(pdp)? if u are angry,then i doubt if u are a nigerian. we should be clapping for mr Babalola for atleast having the respect to tell us something.what if he choose to arrogantly keep his trap shut ? we wont kill him,hell! we wont even know what is going on. this has become our cross,so it is either we bear it with courage or we fight against it.
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by edimalo(m): 12:34pm On Nov 24, 2009
A Country on Auto-Pilot.
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by ochukoccna: 12:38pm On Nov 24, 2009
This news is stale like 6 day old sliced bread. Is the government just waking up to see and know what Nigerians have seen and know all along since they started its pronouncement? So much for 7 point agenda! Wasn't that sharia inclined busy mouth idealist we have for a CBN governor called Sanusi right in telling the govt to stop seeing visions grin, wake up and get to work?
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by chupcake(m): 12:55pm On Nov 24, 2009
Jaybee2412:

How are we sure that it is not 1500mw they are calling 3500mw. Have you noticed any improvement in power supply in your area from what you had before? even an hour more?

I donno about the numbers but talking about improvement,I did notice improvement.For about 3 weeks now.The least was 17 hrs in a Day and i am not talking about Lagos but Abeokuta.They did 24 hrs for more than 7 days in 3 weeks.So i think imma say kudos to them on this one and we all know the problem of electricity in Nigeria is not a problem that started yesterday and i don't believe it can end tomorrow so we gotta at least be patient with them.
Re: 6,000mw Of Electricity Supply By Dec May Be Unrealistic - Minister Of Power by blackspade(m): 1:03pm On Nov 24, 2009
I am not in the least surprised by this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

B*r*e*a*k*i*n*g News!: Finally The Sponsors Of Boko Haram Step Out / Jamaican Bride Dumps New Husband 20 MINUTES After Arriving In The UK [PHOTOS] / Senate Asks Presidency To Submit Confab Report For Consideration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.