Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,560 members, 7,809,042 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:41 PM

D - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / D (25628 Views)

'prayers Don't Work' – Nigerian Man Writes On Facebook / Four Reasons Why Spells (charms) Don't Work For You / D (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: D by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jan 08, 2017
lionlamb020:

No I don't.. I am100% positive that He answers prayers.. There's enough room in this world for everyone to choose what they want to believe.. But please let's stop trying to ridicule anyone's belief.. If you feel you're the "enlightened" ones, then show your enlightenment by giving respect to others and their beliefs no matter what you think of them..
How can you give respect to beliefs that are detrimental to the society?
The Mayans believed in killing people for rainfall, should we respect this because it is their belief?

In nigeria christians chase children into the streets because they think they are witches, should I respect their beliefs?

No ones irrational belief is beyond scrutiny.
Nothing is sacred and all must be challenged.
The sooner Nigerians wake up the better

3 Likes

Re: D by lionlamb020(m): 12:37pm On Jan 08, 2017
Lennycool:

The Mayans believed in killing people for rainfall, should we respect this because it is their belief?

In nigeria christians chase children into the streets because they think they are witches, should I respect their beliefs?

Oga that's not even a reasonable argument, cos atheists have also killed Christians and Muslims for absolutely nothing... So religion doesn't make you dangerous. BTW I don't want to argue, I already said my piece. Thanks
Re: D by MuttleyLaff: 12:37pm On Jan 08, 2017
JesusPowers:
On the soul level, most of them on this board are yearning for some spiritual experience yet, going about it the wrong way.

The rest are strictly on a mission from the dark sides
Like getting misguided into Eastern religion spirituality,
messing with Damballah, by dabbling into chakra and all sorts

JesusPowers:
like the one you quoted
The god of Nairaland?

JesusPowers:
Save your energy
Dont have to save, as there's no strain on the energy.
It's our work o, SOFTWOOORKK!

JesusPowers:
young warrior.
This triggered a Joshua 14:10-12 flashback
Re: D by MuttleyLaff: 12:41pm On Jan 08, 2017
Lennycool:
What is amiss in the prayer request above?
There are #1-#6, so which of the and/or what prayer request above?
Re: D by JesusPowers: 1:06pm On Jan 08, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
Like getting misguided into Eastern religion spirituality,
messing with Damballah, by dabbling into chakra and all sorts

The god of Nairaland?

Dont have to save, as there's no strain on the energy.
It's our work o, SOFTWOOORKK!

This triggered a Joshua 14:10-12 flashback
Middle east/eastern/western/west Africa, the realms of the spirits are categorised as light/dark.

Chakra-eastern- or opening up your spirit man for the holy spirit to come in-middle east- is one and same once you are matured spiritually.
Re: D by ilynem(m): 1:13pm On Jan 08, 2017
HCpaul:

Really?

Ok! So you, the light and the salt of the world should please teach us about your faulty faith.

Even when I was a Christian, I stopped praying when I could no longer deceive myself any longer. It was all obvious to me that I was talking to myself and that no any sky daddy up there was busy processing and working on my petitions.

You people will pray against a problem and at the end of the day, you will as well become the pioneer of the solution "the administrator of your own success " and at the end, you will climb that your stupid alter in your nonsensical gathering (church) and will testify how God (in place of your own ability and initiative) provided the solution miraculously.

You know...... Apart from being cajoled by people, the day you can no longer deceive yourself is the day the burning sensation, guts and the curiosity to question your religious belief begins and to as well decline and detach them if they are found guilty of been delusional.

Bill Gates mother once questioned him that what was he doing, but the little kid replied "Mum, I am thinking".

Today, the product of his thought is apparently evident to the world. It cannot be deny.

millions of Christians are praying and a little kid was busy thinking. Now, the whole world are benefitting from his thoughts while your prayers constitute nothing but nuisance to the community.

Imagine that he was praying, what would have been the fate of his destiny and that of the entire human race

Prayer to me is nothing but a reflection and an expression of a mind that is too lazy to think, plan and take accurate judgement.

It is nothing but the religious way of shifting responsibility and wishfully hoping for an unknown hand to anticipate it and deliver a positive results.

I will rather think than to waste my lifetime praying to an in-existing imaginary sky brother.

If not that the Christians can't think, 3 young dudes were executed on the cross (same day), and one out of smartness, greediness, and an eternal lust for fame and abiding popularity nominated himself as the saviour of mankind.

Gush...
If u want to learn, stop using abusive words. It sounds like you are angry at God. How can u be angry at someone who doesn't exist? When you are ready to learn, let me know
Re: D by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jan 08, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
There are #1-#6, so which of the and/or what prayer request above?
Is see you are at loss for words
Re: D by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jan 08, 2017
lionlamb020:

Oga that's not even a reasonable argument, cos atheists have also killed Christians and Muslims for absolutely nothing... So religion doesn't make you dangerous. BTW I don't want to argue, I already said my piece. Thanks
I'm not talking about murders, I'm talking about dangerous beliefs that are supposed to be respected.
Most Christians don't go for medical check up because they think they are protected by God.
Some can't undergo blood transfusion because of their beliefs.
Women give birth in churches which can lead to complications and death.
These are dangerous beliefs and should not in any way be respected.

1 Like

Re: D by ilynem(m): 1:24pm On Jan 08, 2017
Lennycool:

Following the actions of "Nigerian Christians" isn't Christianity. Following Christ is Christianity. If u can't fault Jesus teaches, you can't fault Christianity. How is loving your God and loving your neighbor as yourself bad for the society?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: D by MuttleyLaff: 1:27pm On Jan 08, 2017
Lennycool:
Is see you are at loss for words
Pie in the sky serious over misassumption

If the mountain will not come to Mohammed, then Mohammed must go to the mountain,
since you wont explicitly says which,
where applicable, here is what is amiss in the prayer requests

#1 I want the god of Nairaland to directly and personally by ''itself'', change my Nairaland ID password for me
- Amiss Request
The god of Nairaland will ignore this request, as it has a DIY provisioned facility for changing passwords

#2 I want the god of Nairaland to let me recklessly post in the Islam forum uncontrolled
- Amiss Request
To guard against becoming a nuisance in there, the god of Nairaland will not grant this request

#3 I want the god of Nairaland to overrule or revoke the posting ban imposed on me by the Anti Spam bot
- Usually you sit out the ban but request occassionally is granted on a case by case basis

#4 I want the god of Nairaland to unhide all my posts auto-hidden by the frisky Antispam bot
- Same as #3 above

#5 I am unregistered on Nairaland but I now want to start posting on threads
- Amiss Request
This request is amiss, because without first registering on Nairaland, you'll never be able to start posting on it threads

#6 I want a pink Nairaland page layout
- Amiss Request
The god of Nairaland, to date, doesnt do pink page layouts
but subject to review, this, in the future possibly could change, so keep this request coming

1 Like

Re: D by lionlamb020(m): 2:14pm On Jan 08, 2017
Lennycool:

I'm not talking about murders, I'm talking about dangerous beliefs that are supposed to be respected.
Most Christians don't go for medical check up because they think they are protected by God.
Some can't undergo blood transfusion because of their beliefs.
Women give birth in churches which can lead to complications and death.
These are dangerous beliefs and should not in any way be respected.
You're right that there are beliefs people have that put them in danger, but that doesn't apply to only Christians... Atheism has led to the free thinking beliefs that make mothers have sexual relationships with their own children, causing psychological damage to both parties... So it's still not the fault of religion... So once again I'd say respect people's beliefs.. Thanks
Re: D by MrMontella(m): 3:32pm On Jan 08, 2017
ilynem:

If u want to learn, stop using abusive words. It sounds like you are angry at God. How can u be angry at someone who doesn't exist? When you are ready to learn, let me know
why are you angry at allah my friend?
Re: D by ilynem(m): 3:44pm On Jan 08, 2017
MrMontella:

why are you angry at allah my friend?
I am not angry at Allah my friend.
Re: D by Ranchhoddas: 3:48pm On Jan 08, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
This is like saying, do you agree that requests do not work on Nairaland and/or with the god of Nairaland

Requests example can be like:
#1 I want the god of Nairaland to directly and personally by ''itself'', change my Nairaland ID password for me
#2 I want the god of Nairaland to let me recklessly post in the Islam forum uncontrolled
#3 I want the god of Nairaland to overrule or revoke the posting ban imposed on me by the Anti Spam bot
#4 I want the god of Nairaland to unhide all my posts auto-hidden by the frisky Antispam bot
#5 I am unregistered on Nairaland but I now want to start posting on threads
#6 I want a pink Nairaland page layout

If wishes were horses...
Simply praying for something is not sufficient to make it happen, especially when there is something amiss in and about the prayer request

It's a no brainer, if you too, would accept the observation that the god of Nairaland greater than the mere Nairaland frequent visitor,
even if this god exists, evidently doesn't answer ALL requests?
Terrible analogies.
The 'god of Nairaland' did not make any of these promises. He does not have messengers going about saying that he can or will do those things. Your God on the other hand...

7 Likes

Re: D by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jan 08, 2017
ilynem:

Following the actions of "Nigerian Christians" isn't Christianity. Following Christ is Christianity. If u can't fault Jesus teaches, you can't fault Christianity. How is loving your God and loving your neighbor as yourself bad for the society?
Ahh but that isn't the only thing Jesus taught now is it?
He taught people to love one another, yet never spoke against slavery, while he had free time to diss on fornication. The American south was filled with slave owning christians because of this.

Jesus also taught that sickness and diseases were caused by sin, a belief most christian sect still hold near.
Jesus was also a misogynist.

So with jesus its a matter of what he spoke and didn't speak on.
Both his teachings and silence give rise to dangerous belief systems.
Re: D by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jan 08, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
Terrible analogies.
The 'god of Nairaland' did not make any of these promises. He does not have messengers going about saying that he can or will do those things. Your God on the other hand...
My man here you are again grin
Calling them out

I really need to understand your belief system.
And don't bother wasting your time on that one, he's not even trying to make sense.
Re: D by ilynem(m): 4:35pm On Jan 08, 2017
Lennycool:

Ahh but that isn't the only thing Jesus taught now is it?
He taught people to love one another, yet never spoke against slavery, while he had free time to diss on fornication. The American south was filled with slave owning christians because of this.

Jesus also taught that sickness and diseases were caused by sin, a belief most christian sect still hold near.
Jesus was also a misogynist.

So with jesus its a matter of what he spoke and didn't speak on.
Both his teachings and silence give rise to dangerous belief systems.
1. Never spoke against slavery. Maybe it us because he wasn't faced with that situation. And where he grew up, I doubt there were slaves.
2. Free time to diss on fornication? Yet he saved a harlot from being stoned to death.
3. The American south was filled with slave owning Christians? Here u are blaming the actions of people who misunderstood the Bible on the full Christian race.
4. Jesus thought that sickness was caused by sin? Really? Please show me a verse that supports this claim.
6. Jesus a misogynist? That's just laughable. Judging by the way he defended the "sinful" Mary Magdalene.
Finally, when he was asked what the greatest commandment was, he said love thy God , love your neighbor as your self. Do you know if every human in the world followed this commandments, there would be world peace? No hunger, no suffering, no war, nothing. This is the core of Christianity and that is where u and many Christians get it wrong.

1 Like

Re: D by Ranchhoddas: 4:43pm On Jan 08, 2017
Lennycool:

My man here you are again grin
Calling them out

I really need to understand your belief system.
And don't bother wasting your time on that one, he's not even trying to make sense.
Lol...I do not think there's any word that totally encapsulates the things that run amok in my mind. The word 'freethinker' comes close though since I reject popular opinions and try to form mine.
But for some reason I am yet to fully fathom, I believe in the 'supernatural', I also believe that Christians are able to activate this 'supernatural' element by invoking the name of Jesus, hence the miracles that we see.

1 Like

Re: D by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jan 08, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
Lol...I do not think there's any word that totally encapsulates the things that run amok in my mind. The word 'freethinker' comes close though since I reject popular opinions and try to form mine.
But for some reason I am yet to fully fathom, I believe in the 'supernatural', I also believe that Christians are able to activate this 'supernatural' element by invoking the name of Jesus, hence the miracles that we see.
You're in an entirely different zone.
What's your belief on God, I'd like to know.
Re: D by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jan 08, 2017
Lennycool:
The experiment goes like this, next time you have a physically visible injury (I insist on visible because most so called healings are just placebo effects that alter our mental state, if its visible no matter how well you feel the cut would still be there, your altered mind has little effect on the physical) , like a cut on your skin, a burn e.t.c you should pray to God to heal you. If prayer really worked you should be healed in a matter of minutes or atmost an hour.
But many reading this already know the prayer won't work and might already be coming up with these excuses

Faith: If it doesn't work most might come up with the excuse that they don't have enough faith, yet Jesus said that if only you possess faith as small as a mustard seed you should be able to move mountains, so that much faith shouldn't be required for a simple injury.

Testing God: Again most might come up with the excuse that they are testing God, but again this would be wrong, you have an injury and you're in pain, you ask your heavenly father to heal you. How is this testing God?

God has his own time:,Another excuse might be that God takes his time, but again this is just another attempt to deny the obvious, why should God wait that long to heal you of something that is presently causing you pain?

You can't deny the obvious, the prayer won't work because no one is answering them.

The Templeton foundation has even carried out research on prayers, and found them even detrimental to the health of sick patients.
God is not a robot that will answer your prayers whenever you want. The success of your experiment is dependent His willingness to answer your prayer.
:p
ilynem:

1. Never spoke against slavery. Maybe it us because he wasn't faced with that situation. And where he grew up, I doubt there were slaves.
This is weak, he was in a roman controlled territory, both Romans and Jews see nothing wrong with slavery, so of course he was surrounded by slaves, not to mention all the travels he did you want to tell me he didn't meet one slave. Bull. Jesus didn't speak cause he had nothing against it.

2. Free time to diss on fornication? Yet he saved a harlot from being stoned to death.
You're missing the point, he spoke on lust even when it was just imagination, yet he didn't say a thing on slavery.
Owning another human being forever and having premarital sex, which is worse?

3. The American south was filled with slave owning Christians? Here u are blaming the actions of people who misunderstood the Bible on the full Christian race.
I assure you they did not misunderstand the bible, america was so deeply christian it even banned alcohol and gambling. This people followed the Bible to the latter. The bible saw slavery as cool so did they.

4. Jesus thought that sickness was caused by sin? Really? Please show me a verse that supports this claim.
When he said after healing
"Go and sin no more"
Instead of keep good personal hygiene.

And also the places where he cured convulsing people by casting out demons.

6. Jesus a misogynist? That's just laughable. Judging by the way he defended the "sinful" Mary Magdalene.
Finally, when he was asked what the greatest commandment was, he said love thy God , love your neighbor as your self. Do you know if every human in the world followed this commandments, there would be world peace? No hunger, no suffering, no war, nothing. This is the core of Christianity and that is where u and many Christians get it wrong.
Twelve male disciple doesn't sound like misogyny to you?
When he spoke of divorce he gave the man permission only in the case of adultery on the part of his wife.
And what right did he give to the woman?
Nothing.
No exception, none whatsoever. Not even on cases of violence or adultery, the woman was the husband's property to him.

Yes if everyone followed Jesus's teachings their would be less suffering.
But their would be more deaths due to disease, their would be massive gender inequality and there would still be slavery.
Jesus is not that much of a good moral guide.

1 Like

Re: D by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jan 08, 2017
Vanceastro:

God is not a robot that will answer your prayers whenever you want. The success of your experiment is dependent His willingness to answer your prayer.
:p
grin grin
So he's not willing to end your suffering?

Why?
Is he enjoying your pain?
Healing you would be nothing to God.

When jesus said he gave you power to move a mountain he gave no exceptions?
He didn't say if God was willing or not?
Re: D by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jan 08, 2017
Lennycool:

grin grin
So he's not willing to end your suffering?

Why?
Is he enjoying your pain?
Healing you would be nothing to God.

When jesus said he gave you power to move a mountain he gave no exceptions?
He didn't say if God was willing or not?
Like I said, God has freewill and He can choose not to answer yourt prayers.
Again your experiment can only show that your prayer wasn't answered, it doesn't prove that ALL prayers aren't answered.
Re: D by Ranchhoddas: 5:16pm On Jan 08, 2017
Lennycool:

You're in an entirely different zone.
What's your belief on God, I'd like to know.
God simply is the conscious, self-existing, eternal(?), immutable(?) entity responsible for the Universe.
Re: D by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jan 08, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
God simply is the conscious, self-existing, eternal(?), immutable(?) entity responsible for the Universe.
So you're like a deist with a love for Jesus's teachings?
Re: D by ilynem(m): 5:29pm On Jan 08, 2017
Lennycool:

This is weak, he was in a roman controlled territory, both Romans and Jews see nothing wrong with slavery, so of course he was surrounded by slaves, not to mention all the travels he did you want to tell me he didn't meet one slave. Bull. Jesus didn't speak cause he had nothing against it.

You're missing the point, he spoke on lust even when it was just imagination, yet he didn't say a thing on slavery.
Owning another human being forever and having premarital sex, which is worse?

I assure you they did not misunderstand the bible, america was so deeply christian it even banned alcohol and gambling. This people followed the Bible to the latter. The bible saw slavery as cool so did they.

When he said after healing
"Go and sin no more"
Instead of keep good personal hygiene.

And also the places where he cured convulsing people by casting out demons.

Twelve male disciple doesn't sound like misogyny to you?
When he spoke of divorce he gave the man permission only in the case of adultery on the part of his wife.
And what right did he give to the woman?
Nothing.
No exception, none whatsoever. Not even on cases of violence or adultery, the woman was the husband's property to him.

Yes if everyone followed Jesus's teachings their would be less suffering.
But their would be more deaths due to disease, their would be massive gender inequality and there would still be slavery.
Jesus is not that much of a good moral guide.
I do like you because you are not one of those hot headed atheists who throw curse words up and down. Now why would there be slavery? When we we're told to love our neighbors? Why would I keep you as a slave if I loved you? Jesus might have never spoken against it doesn't mean he is in support of it. Jesus himself was like a slave to the Romans. The Jews thought the Messiah would actually free them from the Romans. So I don't think he would have supported slavery. As for casting out demons from a convulsing person, I think my Bible made pretty clear that person was possessed by demons. And yes! He had 12 male deciples and I have to say that argument is flawed. In the holding days, the Jews naturally gave more rights to men and I don't think anyone would want to listen to a woman speak to them. Not his fault. But again I point you to Mary Magdalene and her role in the life of Jesus. You need to see the importance Jesus placed on Mary. And what he said about her after she watched his feet with her tears which even shocked the traditional Jews cuz they were not used to giving a woman such importance. And your "go and sin no more" argument doesn't mean Jesus said sin was caused by sin. Even when he didn't heal people He told them to sin no more. My last point. Love your neighbor as you love yourself. You can't love your neighbor if you don't love yourself. And loving yourself means taking care of your self and your hygiene.

1 Like

Re: D by MrMontella(m): 5:36pm On Jan 08, 2017
HCpaul:

Really?

Ok! So you, the light and the salt of the world should please teach us about your faulty faith.

Even when I was a Christian, I stopped praying when I could no longer deceive myself any longer. It was all obvious to me that I was talking to myself and that no any sky daddy up there was busy processing and working on my petitions.

You people will pray against a problem and at the end of the day, you will as well become the pioneer of the solution "the administrator of your own success " and at the end, you will climb that your stupid alter in your nonsensical gathering (church) and will testify how God (in place of your own ability and initiative) provided the solution miraculously.

You know...... Apart from being cajoled by people, the day you can no longer deceive yourself is the day the burning sensation, guts and the curiosity to question your religious belief begins and to as well decline and detach them if they are found guilty of been delusional.

Bill Gates mother once questioned him that what was he doing, but the little kid replied "Mum, I am thinking".

Today, the product of his thought is apparently evident to the world. It cannot be deny.

millions of Christians are praying and a little kid was busy thinking. Now, the whole world are benefitting from his thoughts while your prayers constitute nothing but nuisance to the community.

Imagine that he was praying, what would have been the fate of his destiny and that of the entire human race

Prayer to me is nothing but a reflection and an expression of a mind that is too lazy to think, plan and take accurate judgement.

It is nothing but the religious way of shifting responsibility and wishfully hoping for an unknown hand to anticipate it and deliver a positive results.

I will rather think than to waste my lifetime praying to an in-existing imaginary sky brother.

If not that the Christians can't think, 3 young dudes were executed on the cross (same day), and one out of smartness, greediness, and an eternal lust for fame and abiding popularity nominated himself as the saviour of mankind.

Gush...
i remember when this guy was a christian grin

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: D by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jan 08, 2017
ilynem:

I do like you because you are not one of those hot headed atheists who throw curse words up and down. Now why would there be slavery? When we we're told to love our neighbors? Why would I keep you as a slave if I loved you? Jesus might have never spoken against it doesn't mean he is in support of it. Jesus himself was like a slave to the Romans. The Jews thought the Messiah would actually free them from the Romans. So I don't think he would have supported slavery. As for casting out demons from a convulsing person, I think my Bible made pretty clear that person was possessed by demons. And yes! He had 12 male deciples and I have to say that argument is flawed. In the holding days, the Jews naturally gave more rights to men and I don't think anyone would want to listen to a woman speak to them. Not his fault. But again I point you to Mary Magdalene and her role in the life of Jesus. You need to see the importance Jesus placed on Mary. And what he said about her after she watched his feet with her tears which even shocked the traditional Jews cuz they were not used to giving a woman such importance. And your "go and sin no more" argument doesn't mean Jesus said sin was caused by sin. Even when he didn't heal people He told them to sin no more. My last point. Love your neighbor as you love yourself. You can't love your neighbor if you don't love yourself. And loving yourself means taking care of your self and your hygiene.
Jesus never conformed to the views of the Jews.
If he truly believed in gender equality he would've firmly supported it. Same thing with slavery, Jesus would have spoke vehemently against it, if he didn't support it.

1 Like

Re: D by MrMontella(m): 6:28pm On Jan 08, 2017
ilynem:
I am not angry at Allah my friend.
then why do you say the atheist is angry at yahweh?
Re: D by Joiceee(f): 6:39pm On Jan 08, 2017
Seun:
But do you agree that prayer does not work? Would you accept the observation that the "thing greater than us", even if it exists, evidently doesn't answer prayers?
well i don't knw wat u bliv and am nt even goin 2 preach to u, cos i knw a lot of ppl would ave done dat. I would have agreed with u that God does nt exist if i haven't seen his manifestations in my life. Infact i wouldn't even be existing by now if i didn't run to God
infact, countless times that i have called upon him and he always answer me.
If u r making a request to God jst to check his existence, then am sori he would nt answer. Because he said it in his world that 'if my people that are called by my name and humble themselves and pray, i would heal their land. You can't mention the name of JESUS and expect it to work when u dont bliv in it.
And bliv me, there is one thing that prevents one's prayer frm being answerd which is 'sin'.
Re: D by ilynem(m): 6:43pm On Jan 08, 2017
MrMontella:

then why do you say the atheist is angry at yahweh?
Read your previous posts and see how hate filled they are.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? / Bishop T.D Jakes And Wife, Serita, Recreate Their 23-Year-Old Picture / Night Of Bliss With Pastor Chris Oyakhilome

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.