Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,918 members, 7,806,673 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:29 PM

What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan (2478 Views)

Convocation: Badirat Olaitan Adeyemi Graduates From The University Of Ibadan / Olubadan Of Ibadan Shows Off Swag In Canada With His Two Wives / Queen Ola Badirat Adeyemi Graduates From University Of Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by DISTINCT89(m): 4:31pm On Jan 07, 2017
*Ibadan is the third Largest city in Africa after Cairo and Johannesburg (Wikipedia)
*Ibadan is the third most Populous city in Nigeria after Kano and Lagos
*Ibadan is the Home of Nigeria Army 2nd Division
*Ibadan City alone has a population of 3,720,643 people (2006 census), with this more populous than States like, Enugu, Gombe, Osun, Cross-River, Sokoto, Ondo, Kebbi, Edo, Benue, Bayelsa, Abia, Kwara, Adamawa, Ebonyi, Kogi, Nasarawa, Taraba, Pleatue, Ekiti, Yobe and Zamfara (2006 census)
*Ibadan has 11 recognised Local Government Area with an Average of 338,462 people per L.G.A as against 150,000 people per L.G.A of Fed constitution recommendation, the Nigerian Constitution stipulate 14 L.G.A for provision to create a state
* "Ibadan North" L. G. A. is one of the first four most populated L.G.A in Nigeria with 856,988 people and Oluyole 734,377 people (2006 census)
*Ibadan has 5 metropolitan L.G.A namely Ibadan North, Ibadan North-West, Ibadan North-East, Ibadan South-West and Ibadan South-East
*Ibadan has 6 Urban L.G.A namely Egbeda, Oluyole, Ona-Ara, Lagelu,Akinyele and Iddo
*Ibadan has its oldest L.G.A as Oluyole L.G.A and Lagelu L.G.A
*Ibadan is the Capital of Western Colonial Administration 1893 and also Western Region since 1939
*Ibadan operates the most orderly and peaceful monarchy system anywhere in the whole universe
*Ibadan hosts the very first University in Nigeria and the first and the best Zoological Garden nationwide (in the University of Ibadan campus)
*Ibadan cover a total Area of 3,186 sq. km (1,195sq miles) close to the whole of Lagos State 3,348 sq. km
*Ibadan has 7 Federal Constituencies as against constitution stipulation of 6 to create a state
*Ibadan puts Oyo State as the 4th largest economy in Nigeria
*Ibadan is Nigeria’s 3rd cheapest city to live.
*Ibadan has a Federal Airport (Alakia), boarding passengers to cities like Kano, Lagos, Abuja, Benin, Port Harcourt etc.
*Ibadan has 4 Government Reservation Areas (GRA, as we call them) – Iyaganku, Jericho, Onireke, and Agodi.
*Ibadan hosted the first Housing Corporation in Nigeria that built the first housing estate in Nigeria, Bodija Housing Estate.
* Ibadan has the oldest Surviving Newspaper in Nigeria (Tribune Newspaper)
* Ibadan hosts the first TV station in the whole of Africa 1959 as WRBC, later WNTV/WNBS and now NTA Ibadan
* Ibadan has 7 Television stations (Galaxy as the first private station in Nigeria 1996, NTA, AIT, MiTV, because, Channels Ibadan and Silverbird Ibadan)
* Ibadan has a whopping 14 Radio stations operating in the same city; namely Fresh FM, Splash FM, Inspiration, Premier FM, Oluyole FM, Lagelu FM, Star FM, Space FM, Diamond/UI FM, Naija FM, Radio Nigeria, Amuludun FM etc.
*Ibadan hosts Mapo Hall, one of only 2 Town Halls in Africa of Greco-Roman architectural style.
*Ibadan’s house-numbering, system for postal delivery using the cardinal points, N, S, E, W, SW, SE, NW, and NE is the only one of such postal codes in Africa, designed by the British.
*Ibadan has the Bower Tower, designed by British Colonial Officer Taffy (also designed the Mapo Hall) is the only structure of its kind in Nigeria and West Africa, located on top of the city in the Agala Forest.
*Ibadan hosted the first fruit canning factory in Nigeria, Lafia Canning Company, established and owned by the Western Nigeria Development Corporation, and supplied by the citrus and pineapple farm of Apoje, near Ijebu Igbo (in present day Ogun State)
*Ibadan consists of several almost-independent, self-sustaining big communities:
• The City itself
• University of Ibadan campus
• The Ibadan Polytechnic campus
• The University College Hospital (UCN) community
• The Moor Plantation Community, including the IAR&T campus
• The IITA community
• CRIN community
• The Nigerian Railway compound and living quarters
• The Odogbo Barracks community of the Nigerian Army
• The Lead City University campus
• The religious communities of Immanuel College and the Dominican Community
*Ibadan is the only city in Nigeria that has over 15 Federal Tertiary Institutions/Research Institutes, namely:
1. University of Ibadan, formerly University College, Ibadan,1948 (Nigeria’s Premier University).
2. Nigeria Institute for Social and Economic Research, (NISER)
3. Institute for Agricultural Research and Training (I.A.R &T) Moor Plantation
4. National Institute of Horticulture Research and Training (NIHORT)
5. National Cereal Research Institute (NCRI) 1978
6. National Root Crop Research Institute (NRCRI)
7. Forestry Research Institute of Nigeria (FRIN)
8. University College Hospital (UCH) 1948, including School of Nursing
9. Federal School of Statistics
10. Federal School of Hygiene
11. Federal Co-operative College
12. Federal College of Agriculture,1921
13. Federal College of Animal Health and Production Technology
14. Federal College of Forestry
15. International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, IITA (an international/global Institute)
16. Cocoa Research Institute of Nigeria (CRIN)1976
17. National Institute of Science Laboratory Technology (NISCLT)
18. Ibadan Polytechnic (owned by Oyo State) but started as the National College of Science and Technology
* Ibadan has several private higher institutions of learning such as:
• Immanuel College of Theology
• Lead City University
• Ibadan City Polytechnic
• BOLMOL Polytechnic
• Dominican University
• Tower Polytechnic
• All-Ibadan College of Education
• Mufu Lanihun College of Education
*Ibadan has the Largest Supermarket in Africa (Shoprite Ibadan Ring-Road branch)
*Ibadan has the first stadium and International Stadium in Nigeria (1945) the Liberty Stadium (now Obafemi Awolowo Stadium) with 35,846 capacity
*Ibadan is the home of Book Publishers, having over major 20 printing companies i.e. Oxford University Press, Ibadan University Press, Heinemann, Evans, Spectrum, Bounty, Odua Press, Macmillan etc.
*Ibadan hosts the Regional Headquarter of Central Bank Of Nigeria, Dugbe, under which states like Ondo,Delta, Ogun, Kogi,Edo Ekiti, Ilorin, and Oyo operate
*Ibadan to Oyo is the first motorable road in Nigeria 1905 built by Sir Percy Girouard
*The busiest road in Nigeria after Lagos-Abeokuta expressway is Lagos-Ibadan followed by Abuja-Kaduna express road
*An Ibadan man, Mr Taiwo Akinkumi designed Nigeria Nation Flag (1959)
*Ibadan has the first tallest building in Africa, "Cocoa House" 1952
*Ibadan hosts the first set of Secondary schools in Nigeria
• St. Anne's School, Molete 1868,
• Ibadan Grammar School, Molete, 1913,
• Ibadan Boys High School, 1938,
• Government College, Apata, Ibadan 1927,
• Queen School, Apata, Ibadan 1956,
• St Patrick Grammar School 1962,
• Ibadan City Academy, Eleta, 1946,
• Wesley College, Elekuro, (a teacher training college) 1905,
• St. Theresa’s Girl School, Oke-Ado, 1932,
• Yejide Girls Grammar School, Kudeti, 1956,
• Loyola College, Agodi,1954,
• Lagelu Grammar School, Agugu,1960
• Igbo Elerin Grammar School, via Ibadan, 1957
*Ibadan is the city with the highest number of Professors in the whole of Africa
*Ibadan is the fastest growing city in Nigeria (NBS)

Compiled by Gaphar Ojetola and Akintokunbo Adejumo

4 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by Lionbite(m): 4:44pm On Jan 07, 2017
Proudly Yoruba!
Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by Ajanacool(m): 5:35pm On Jan 07, 2017
I wonder y some people call Ibadan people "local" when their villages are not even on d map. Note: I am not from Ibadan but 90% of d op's claim are known facts

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by charijee(f): 6:01pm On Jan 07, 2017
No pics to support your claim
Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by orimsamsam(m): 6:05pm On Jan 07, 2017
Ajanacool:
I wonder y some people call Ibadan people "local" when their villages are not even on d map. Note: I am not from Ibadan but 90% of d op's claim are known facts
tell.me that city that can compete with Ibadan in Nigeria. Ibadan will beat any city in Nigeria in terms of infrastructure and ethno social development.

Op this should be in the politics section.

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by orimsamsam(m): 6:05pm On Jan 07, 2017
charijee:
No pics to support your claim
there is no need for pic
Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by charijee(f): 6:06pm On Jan 07, 2017
orimsamsam:
there is no need for pic
There's every need for it
Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by orimsamsam(m): 6:08pm On Jan 07, 2017
charijee:
There's every need for it
u can verify everything the op sed. Unless u wanna see the picture of cocoa house
Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by charijee(f): 6:14pm On Jan 07, 2017
orimsamsam:
u can verify everything the op sed. Unless u wanna see the picture of cocoa house
Lol....he should at least provide pics for the infrastructural achievements
Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by orimsamsam(m): 6:17pm On Jan 07, 2017
charijee:
Lol....he should at least provide pics for the infrastructural achievements
Lolz. No problem will help u with that

Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by charijee(f): 6:18pm On Jan 07, 2017
orimsamsam:
Lolz. No problem will help u with that
kudos....patiently waiting cool

Btw, are you in any way related to the OP?
Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by orimsamsam(m): 6:21pm On Jan 07, 2017
charijee:
kudos....patiently waiting cool

nah. Just a full blooded Ibadan boy

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by charijee(f): 6:23pm On Jan 07, 2017
orimsamsam:
nah. Just a full blooded Ibadan boy
I see grin

So is there any popular slogan used in Ibadan? (Yoruba, English)
Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by orimsamsam(m): 6:34pm On Jan 07, 2017
charijee:
I see grin

So is there any popular slogan used in Ibadan? (Yoruba, English)
Ibadan is one of the funniest city in Nigeria. They have so many slang and they can abuse ur life if u misbehave

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by charijee(f): 6:37pm On Jan 07, 2017
orimsamsam:
Ibadan is one of the funniest city in Nigeria. They have so many slang and they can abuse ur life if u misbehave
Yet you don't wanna mention
Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by orimsamsam(m): 6:44pm On Jan 07, 2017
charijee:
Yet you don't wanna mention
not that I don't wanna mention most of them the abuse/slang. It mostly abuse are in Yoruba
Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by charijee(f): 6:50pm On Jan 07, 2017
orimsamsam:
not that I don't wanna mention most of them the abuse/slang. It mostly abuse are in Yoruba
Alright, if you say so

What if I told you I understand yoruba? grin
Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by orimsamsam(m): 6:51pm On Jan 07, 2017
charijee:
Alright, if you say so

What if I told you I understand yoruba? grin
eh en . I don pm u. Answer my pm

Good to Knw u speak yoruba
Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by charijee(f): 6:55pm On Jan 07, 2017
orimsamsam:
eh en . I don pm u. Answer my pm

Good to Knw u speak yoruba
Lemme go check

At the bolded ..lol no comment
Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by orimsamsam(m): 7:00pm On Jan 07, 2017
charijee:
Lemme go check

At the bolded ..lol no comment
okay.
Pls check or u can message me on whatsapp
Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by charijee(f): 7:07pm On Jan 07, 2017
orimsamsam:
okay.
Pls check or u can message me on whatsapp
Okay
Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jan 07, 2017
why are things so expensive in Ibadan? 1.5 litres of palm oil is N1700! very absurd! I guess all those stories of things (foodstuff) being cheap in Ibadan are lies! angry angry

most of what the op wrote are verifiable facts, but that doesn't stop Ibadan people from being local. the people refuse to change and embrace truly progressive ideas. they are unnecessarily tribalistic, not knowing that a culturally homogeneous community can not go very far in terms of progress and development.
Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by DISTINCT89(m): 10:37pm On Jan 07, 2017
[quote author=charijee post=52617233]kudos....patiently waiting cool

[/quote

He is proud to be an Ibadan guy, me I be confirm Ijebu boy. We no relate for anywhere.
Pls just google if u need pics
Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by DISTINCT89(m): 10:43pm On Jan 07, 2017
coollabman:
why are things so expensive in Ibadan? 1.5 litres of palm oil is N1700! very absurd! I guess all those stories of things (foodstuff) being cheap in Ibadan are lies! angry angry

most of what the op wrote are verifiable facts, but that doesn't stop Ibadan people from being local. the people refuse to change and embrace truly progressive ideas. they are unnecessarily tribalistic, not knowing that a culturally homogeneous community can not go very far in terms of progress and development.

Abeg which village are u from
Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by DISTINCT89(m): 10:45pm On Jan 07, 2017
Lala abeg do d needful. This wan na front page material
Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by seunny4lif(m): 11:21pm On Jan 07, 2017
Lala come oooh
No be only snake ooooh
Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by Nobody: 11:41pm On Jan 07, 2017
DISTINCT89:

Abeg which village are u from
where I am from is not the subject of the discussion
Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by Funjosh(m): 2:02am On Jan 08, 2017
Omo Ibadan ki ni show cheesy
Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by DISTINCT89(m): 6:21am On Jan 08, 2017
[quote author=coollabman post=52624543]

where I am from is not the subject of the discussion[/quou

U don't expect things to be cheap in d city.
Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by DISTINCT89(m): 6:23am On Jan 08, 2017
Funjosh:
Omo Ibadan ki ni show cheesy

Soww sure ni. Eran sikin ni mo je sun lana, ori kusin sia ni mosun
Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by Nobody: 10:47am On Jan 08, 2017
[quote author=DISTINCT89 post=52627056][/quote]

you guys hype Ibadan, giving the impression that ibadan has a better standard of living than Lagos
Re: What You Need To Know About The City Of Ibadan by orimsamsam(m): 1:43pm On Jan 12, 2017
coollabman:

siddon for ur local enclavement they talk Wetin u no knw

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Itsekiris Are Not Yorubas But Binis / “Take Your Osun And Orisa To Ogun, Oyo…” Kwara Imam To Yoruba. / Contemporary Nigerian Societies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.