Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,905 members, 7,806,642 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:37 PM

One man, One wife - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / One man, One wife (23471 Views)

Are There Advantages In Marrying More Than One Wife? / Mother And Her 2 Teenage Twin Daughters Pregnant For One Man (photos) / Why Did God Almighty Recommend One Man One Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: One man, One wife by Toks2008(m): 9:14pm On May 21, 2017
Lalasticlala I honestly think this piece is really a fp material.
Re: One man, One wife by FreeSpirited: 9:33pm On May 21, 2017
Toks2008:

Why you too get sense like this? if you be woman I for woo you die. ..Chai!

Boss....Most of your posts are always objective. By your previous posts I know you are a Christian and married to one wife but I do appreciate the sincerity and objectivity of your posts. Its very rare for a Christian.
No matter how flawed my stance on Christianity, I still strongly believe that if Jesus was alive now, he can never condemn polygamy when a lot of women are suffering and dying for lack of husband. Jesus never condemned polygamists of his time because it was the norm.

1 Like

Re: One man, One wife by Toks2008(m): 9:57pm On May 21, 2017
FreeSpirited:

Boss....Most of your posts are always objective. By your previous posts I know you are a Christian and married to one wife but I do appreciate the sincerity and objectivity of your posts. Its very rare for a Christian.
No matter how flawed my stance on Christianity, I still strongly believe that if Jesus was alive now, he can never condemn polygamy when a lot of women are suffering and dying for lack of husband. Jesus never condemned polygamists of his time because it was the norm.

As I wrote...it's all about choice...for me I can't cope with two ladies....even one nah wahala but for men who can abeg let them carry go...

Solomon,David,Abraham were polygamists and they are good friends of Jehovah..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: One man, One wife by tosyne2much(m): 10:50pm On May 21, 2017
Nice one egbon Toks... Very insightful

1 Like

Re: One man, One wife by moneyissues(m): 10:55pm On May 21, 2017
U can still marry all the aforementione victims of circumstance..mr advocate 4 taking care of singles/unmarried ladie...u fit pity them be their SOLOMON..thanks ave heard u sir

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: One man, One wife by Nobody: 10:59pm On May 21, 2017
Toks2008:

So how will you answer the question I asked?
polygamy can't be curbed.. In Africa... As most men are natural polygamist...

1 Like

Re: One man, One wife by lobiologs(m): 11:20pm On May 21, 2017
Female folks are going to have so many challenges in the not so distant future, most men are already getting used to the "baby mama" ideology. Even I am beginning to think getting married to any lady isn't worth it, just be single, get a lady to give you a child or 2 and take care of them.

I know some people would say it's because I want to go around sleeping with every thing that walks around in skirts but the thing is I can't stand women, I'm straight and I love sex but I just can't stand women.

2 Likes

Re: One man, One wife by MostHated: 11:24pm On May 21, 2017
Dfinex:

firstly i may not be able to answer question number one because it's supposed to be personal choices which how ever we all know is majorly based on societal influences....however if we are to look at it without prejudice, do u marry a woman solely because she is single? are there no other attributes to judge from? are widowers also made to face this stigma (I chose to call it so) or is it an exclusive preserve for women?.....why are we having guys clamouring for polygamy while polyandry is frowned at?

secondly, need I inform u that as at today in Nigeria the population of men to women is in excess of 3million in favor of men (Google can help u). so my dear there is no scarcity of men as against what we are made to believe .

if a widow or a single woman decides to become a second wife it should be based on personal conviction and not because the society says there is a dearth of men

Actually, its about the number of marriageable males. More males are given birth to, but as they grow up, the fatality rate is higher amongst males for obvious reasons, so the number of marriageable ladies are more while we have more male kids...even amongst the lesser marriageable males, many do not want to marry because of the economic situation. Try browsing an analysis of Nigeria's population by ages of each gender and how many they are, and you'll see the cause of the problem.

P.S take note of the percentage of males to females in the age region of 20-39.

3 Likes

Re: One man, One wife by alan333(m): 11:32pm On May 21, 2017
Polygamus isn't the remedy for widows,single mothers,divorcees with children and single-aged ladies because of the proportion of women to men based on birth/death rate.we in a world where 3 male children is born in every 20 children,secondly,mothers tends to live longer than fathers,third,fingers aint equal,i.e.destiny differs.Therefore,the equation of one man-one woman cannever ever be real only for those couple who have chosen to be exceptional.it's a choice not commandment/law!
Re: One man, One wife by Olumaeme: 11:58pm On May 21, 2017
You are entitled to your opinion, but as for me 2 wives is a No No for me...
Re: One man, One wife by zomoears(m): 12:14am On May 22, 2017
Interesting and insightful topic.

1. I personally believe the bible does not expressly forbid polygamy. Counter me with a direct quote, not an advisory.
2. A man was designed by the creator to have multiple partners. Women have monthly cycles and can only conceive for a few days in a month, meaning they are the regulated gender. Men on the other hand are 'kick and start', and can get erect at any time,impregnate at any time, etc.
3. Women in circumstances need men in their lives too. Naturally,mostly married guys with experience in managing womenfolk can handle these women of circumstances I.e widows,single mothers and women over 40. Single matured minded guys can too, but they are mostly pressured by society to go for fresh punany. So who will service these other women?
4. I once sat with an elderly man of cloth, and his opinion on widows was quite interesting. He suggested that sleeping with widows was almost like doing society a favor. This, he said, was especially true for widows who cannot re marry cos of either number of kids they already have, or they want to avoid complications of d african society(place of burial, etc). He thinks these women should not be allowed to burn with passion, but can maintain respectable sexual relationships.

Need to pause at this point.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: One man, One wife by Actuarydeji(m): 12:22am On May 22, 2017
Monogamy is not Christianity at all. Please read books of the Roman Empire very well. All the prophets married more than one wife, except Jesus Christ that did not married at all. So who are you emulating?
Re: One man, One wife by bikerboy1(m): 12:27am On May 22, 2017
grin Some women though, so what you want is to marry an ex-prisoner SMH
Re: One man, One wife by yhemster(m): 12:40am On May 22, 2017
This is an example of complexities that results from the substitute of our local fine wine with the imported ones. Agree or disagree, religion (christianity/Islam) and Westernisation were imported into our communities. Gradually, we replaced the traditions of our organised civil communities with these foreign ideas and unfortunately these foreign ideas couldn't be fully practiced in our communities. I want to remind everyone this particular issues have always existed since the creation, and individual communities had adopted various method to address this issue.
For example, some communities in the SW region of Nigeria had a tradition whereby the wellbeing of widows and the kids are automatically the responsibility of the one of the male siblings of the deceased. Unfortunately, the imported traditions and religion came and succeeded in subseeding this practise without providing a suitable alternatives. Polygamy was never a problem until we're taught monogamy is the right style as a family structure. And now, even monogamous marriages are fighting to stay relevant cos of the constant issues like infidelity, irreconcilable differences, pregnancy out of wedlock etc.
In Western world, there is absolutely no worry or issue when a single man decide to marry either a widow or single mother and vice versa. In our part of the world, it is seriously frowned upon by the families and even the religious leaders discourage such.

At the end of the day, whatever happens to individual are usually done under the radar, whereas the community at large knows what's happening. But everyone just look away and not address it until such happens to them personally or close relatives.

5 Likes

Re: One man, One wife by cococandy(f): 12:59am On May 22, 2017
An avenue for justification of randiness. That's what this thread is.

More and more of you will end up like that man who died recently from hot water bath by his wife. And I won't waste my RIPs on you.

Pretending like you care about the widows' plight when you're just looking for extra Pusey to fvck.

If you're so touched so much, look for suffering families to help. Not this silly charade. Like any of you would ever do something for someone if there's nothing to gain from it.

Stupid.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: One man, One wife by lepasharon(f): 1:30am On May 22, 2017
cococandy:

More and more of you will end up like that man who died recently from hot water bath by his wife. And I won't waste my RIPs on you.

Pretending like you care about the widows' plight when you're just looking for extra Pusey to fvck.

If you're so touched so much, look for suffering families to help. Not this silly charade. Like any of you would ever do something for someone if there's nothing to gain from it.

Stupid.

1 Like

Re: One man, One wife by galantjoe(m): 2:22am On May 22, 2017
Thecassanova:
Nice topic Op, man has a shortlife span. For Eg We lost more able men soldiers to terrorism every year. What should happen to their young widowed wives back at home? And also other women who are in the 30's seriously searching for life partners.

The more we realise the shortage of single men and put doctrines asides the better for us.

Buh looking at the other angle how does doctrines of one man one woman crub the society of single women when clearly the supply of single women clearly exceed the single men around To me it wouldn't be fair allowing these women to remain single for the rest of their lives.

Sometimes I doubt if some doctrines are really inspired that's why I believe when they say "They teach doctrines commanded my men".

Our ancestors never felt this cos most had 3,4 wives and then everything was balance. Our grandma, great grandma married below 20 even has 3rd wife, so it was hard seeing a single lady at 22yrs.

This is so deep. As long as I hate polygamy, I feel for our generation and the next.
It has already being stated;
Isaiah 4:1
“And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach.”

You have summarised everything u said this bible quote. Polygamy is a way out for african. Very soon there will be social problem caused by unmarried ladies. They need men no matter what
My take is let some one who has ways and means to take the lead. Action is louder.

1 Like

Re: One man, One wife by salt1: 3:46am On May 22, 2017
This thread is as sickening as they come!
What's the black man's obsession with s*x, s*x and more s*x? Why this fixation?
In the 21st century when other races are creating new things that will improve the human condition, the black man's idea of charity isn't about setting up viable foundations to assist widows but how to sleep with them, litter the place with babies, die and leave a legacy of children with hatred for one another.
We are already under productive and not realising our full potential. Instead of finding and sticking to our soulmate who together we can strive to do or be something more meaningful, we are striving to justify a hedonistic lifestyle while closing our eyes to the glaring problems.
I'm a product of a polygamous home and I will rather stay single than be involved in that. I won't even wish that on my worst enemy.
I suggest you all read Isidore Okpewho's novel called The Victims which shows that everybody in a polygamous family is a victim: the husband who isn't emotionally connected to his children, the women who wish one another dead, the children who are caught in the cross fire etc

And some are hailing it as deep and objective.
Why are we like this? Are blacks a cursed race? Who sleeps with four women and has thirty children and will still concentrate to articulate a cure for AIDS?

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: One man, One wife by Ihuomachukwu: 4:41am On May 22, 2017
Nma27:
Thank God you know how deep it is.
Truth!
Re: One man, One wife by danla44(m): 5:07am On May 22, 2017
Masha Allah.
Re: One man, One wife by AreaFada2: 5:09am On May 22, 2017
Conservative societies thrive on hypocrisy, not reality or scientific evidence. And perpetuate social problems by refusing to acknowledge them. Sit on the high horse and pontificate on morality & assumed "rectitude" that were already lost decades ago.

Because a large number of women are already in quasi polygamous relationships.

A 32 years old graduate banker has two kids with a chief or an Alhaji. With or without the knowledge or consent of the wife/wives at home.

The banker lives a good life in her own nice flat with the kids outside.

A man leaves his family in Lagos to reside in Abuja. There he has a live-in young babe. Common with politicians & businessmen.

Frequent traveller businessmen have steady girlfriends in 7 various cities across the nation.

We all know these things exist. The same women that condemn polygamy on social media engage in it.

I think a single woman is hard enough to manage. But the fact is there are lots of men who can cater for several wives economically. They should have the choice to practice polygamy with consenting adult women.

What about love?

Well, already whether monogamy or polygamy, love plays only a very little role. Infatuation maybe. It is mostly an economic security venture. Especially for the women.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: One man, One wife by emmasege: 5:20am On May 22, 2017
Nice thread. But for Paul's recommendation that church elders should be monogamists, Christianity would not have frowned at polygamy because some fathers of Faith had more than one wife and (i stand to be corrected ) our Lord never taught in that regard throughout his earthy ministry.

One thing I know is that some open polygamists will make heaven while the secret ones (i.e. one wife at home but with girlfriend outside ) won't.
Re: One man, One wife by Nobody: 5:30am On May 22, 2017
Toks2008:
I like the way one commenter said, mingling well is the key, I will say mingling correctly, positioning your self well as a lady or even man in such shoes and making urself an asset will make u get married not just to single men but to enviable single men. Which single man wants to marry a woman who is not bringing enough income for she and the children she already is responsible for?
We see artresses everyday and in every country marrying their third or fourth husbands, you think its because they are artists? Don't we see single old artists who never get married. Too many taboos is also our problem in Nigeria. We will not patronize paid and credible dating sites, will not patronize match makers. We will stay in our room and be sad praying and fasting.
I am not just yarning, before I started match making as a business, I had previously patronized one and done online dating, as I once under went a divorce and know what I am talking about. Now I am not only married to a single, handsome young man who has never been married nor has kids, but I am truely happy. So like I said, if you want something, go and get it, prayer is good, but if that's the only thing u do about your marital desire, you must be waiting for the angels to marry you.

2 Likes

Re: One man, One wife by AreaFada2: 5:31am On May 22, 2017
zomoears:
Interesting and insightful topic.

1. I personally believe the bible does not expressly forbid polygamy. Counter me with a direct quote, not an advisory.
2. A man was designed by the creator to have multiple partners. Women have monthly cycles and can only conceive for a few days in a month, meaning they are the regulated gender. Men on the other hand are 'kick and start', and can get erect at any time,impregnate at any time, etc.
3. Women in circumstances need men in their lives too. Naturally,mostly married guys with experience in managing womenfolk can handle these women of circumstances I.e widows,single mothers and women over 40. Single matured minded guys can too, but they are mostly pressured by society to go for fresh punany. So who will service these other women?
4.[b] I once sat with an elderly man of cloth, and his opinion on widows was quite interesting. He suggested that sleeping with widows was almost like doing society a favor. This, he said, was especially true for widows who cannot re marry cos of either number of kids they already have, or they want to avoid complications of d african society(place of burial, etc). He thinks these women should not be allowed to burn with passion, but can maintain respectable sexual relationships.

[/b]Need to pause at this point.

Actually this kind of liberal disposition is not uncommon among the clergy. Many have travelled widely and studied extensively. Certainly among the catholic & protestant communions.

But this personal position is in dissonance with church doctrine mostly.
Therefore personal belief and official church position seriously conflict.
Therefore some of them cannot even conform to church position in private life.
This brings us back to hypocrisy. Just trying to publicly toe the official line.

A friend told me that Islam first approved polygamy for the reason (among others) that you mentioned.

There are many widows under 45. Should they just stay like that for the rest of their lives?
Re: One man, One wife by maasoap(m): 5:33am On May 22, 2017
vedah:
No!

I wouldn't agree she settles for a man who's already married. Trust me, there are single men who'll still ask for her hand in marriage.

That said, I'm not in any position to tell her how she runs her life, if she feels okay to marry this man, why not? smiley I'll give her my support. Its all about her happiness.
How many of this have you seen?
Re: One man, One wife by Toks2008(m): 5:39am On May 22, 2017
DatesAndMeals:

I like the way one commenter said, mingling well is the key, I will say mingling correctly, positioning your self well as a lady or even man in such shoes and making urself an asset will make u get married not just to single men but to enviable single men. Which single man wants to marry a woman who is not bringing enough income for she and the children she already is responsible for?
We see artresses everyday and in every country marrying their third or fourth husbands, you think its because they are artists? Don't we see single old artists who never get married. Too many taboos is also our problem in Nigeria. We will not patronize paid and credible dating sites, will not patronize match makers. We will stay in our room and be sad praying and fasting.
I am not just yarning, before I started match making as a business, I had previously patronized one and done online dating, as I once under went a divorce and know what I am talking about. Now I am not only married to a single, handsome young man who has never been married nor has kids, but I am truely happy. So like I said, if you want something, go and get it, prayer is good, but if that's the only thing u do about your marital desire, you must be waiting for the angels to marry you.

You make a lot of sense...

I was advicing a young lady yesterday and I told her....work hard,be very financially independent and you will be the one to choose men and she was so amazed but that is the truth. .

If you are a lady who makes good money on your own,whether you are a widow with 5 children,you are most likely to still see a fresh guy to marry you because guys love independent ladies...

Nevertheless somewhere down the line,the guy may end up having another lady in his life but would still hold his wife in high esteem.

2 Likes

Re: One man, One wife by mrww(m): 5:42am On May 22, 2017
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUUxKTYllcE/
Just click and like this picture on Instagram
#much love
Re: One man, One wife by Toks2008(m): 5:43am On May 22, 2017
maasoap:

How many of this have you seen?

Pleases help me ask o...because they see one case out of many,they just conclude....

Even me at 41,if given the chance to pick between a sweet unmarried lady and a sweet baby mama,I will most likely want to settle for the first one but as I wrote before...a sweet baby mama making her own money would appeal to me more than a financially dependent sweet single lady with no child...

1 Like

Re: One man, One wife by maasoap(m): 5:45am On May 22, 2017
cococandy:

Stupid.
Really? Many husbands with one wife are already in the ground and their deaths were caused by their one and only wives that had nothing to do with the infidelity or attempt to marry second wife.

1 Like

Re: One man, One wife by Toks2008(m): 5:48am On May 22, 2017
emmasege:

One thing I know is that some open polygamists will make heaven while the secret ones (i.e. one wife at home but with girlfriend outside ) won't.

Gbam!
Re: One man, One wife by Toks2008(m): 5:51am On May 22, 2017
galantjoe:

You have summarised everything u said this bible quote. Polygamy is a way out for african. Very soon there will be social problem caused by unmarried ladies. They need men no matter what
My take is let some one who has ways and means to take the lead. Action is louder.

With this mindset you will hardly have fidelity related issues in your marriage...I only pity the ladies with "me and my husband only" mentality.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sleeping With Another Man's Wife. Good or bad? / My Lil Bro Plays With Girls, How Do I Stop It? / Wife Travelling Without Consent ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.