Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,097 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:10 AM

Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? (95986 Views)

Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? / #whatif: Daddy Freez Is Correct About Tithe? / Prophet Malachi Udorji, The Founder Of Children Of God Healing Ministry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Nobody: 11:07am On Jan 22, 2017
What kind of funny question is this? Why do you consider PROFITS and not LOSSES as the measure of your business success? grin
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by val15: 11:08am On Jan 22, 2017
Ok
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by nocera(m): 11:09am On Jan 22, 2017
You sound like a Christian who likes learning and that's a good thing, especially now that many professed Christians argue the Scriptures even without having the slightest idea of what they're talking about and accurate Biblical truths to push forward their sentiments. But, sir I'd say given the sensitive nature of this argument and with the fact that many unbelievers and Infact, bitter critics of the Holy Scriptures are here and ready to pounce on this golden teaching, and trample it underfoot take delight in what we're doing now.

If we are true Christians – and feel we want to ask sincere and sensitive questions like this on this medium, we should be open to everyone's opinion and contribution and refrain from being combative and view others' opinions as uninformed and unintelligent. I strongly kick against bringing up Holy things on platforms such as this except to inform, educate, exhort and testify the inspired messages we receive by the Holy Ghost while studying Scripture. Shalom.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Chuksaluta(m): 11:13am On Jan 22, 2017
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by zubinike(m): 11:14am On Jan 22, 2017
This should solve our worries on tithing.......http://www.agape.com/tithe.htm
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by potent5(m): 11:14am On Jan 22, 2017
The Bible expects you to GIVE your tithe not PAY your tithe. This people will rather tell you to PAY your tithe 'as commanded' thereby playing with your psychology and even record your 'payments' as if it's mandatory.
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by obowunmi(m): 11:15am On Jan 22, 2017
Tithing is a choice. Not the law.

The point is to give. Those who give will receive.

Whether you give to a church or give to the poor. There is blessing in giving.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Nobody: 11:19am On Jan 22, 2017
petra1:

No you're wrong . There were 2 major tithes in Israel . Actually 3 . But majorly 2 . The first one is the yearly tithes Which goes to the priesthood esclusively every year. While the other is every 3 years . And also the tithes that is eaten in a feast is different from the tithes given to God .

Deuteronomy 14:22
22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.

Numbers 18:21
21 And, behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tenth in Israel for an inheritance, for their service which they serve, even the service of the tabernacle of the congregation.

Leviticus 27:30
30 And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord's: it is holy unto the Lord.

The second one is every 3 years which is shared .

Deuteronomy 14:28
28 At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:

The third one is for family to cover for the feast expenses or so . I will double check on this . The tithes that is eaten in a feast is different from the tithes given to God

The point she is making goes beyond the issue of tithe to the validity of the premise being used to demand the payment of tithe. And make no mistake, it is demanded.

The point is religious organizations use funds for all sort of administrative reason that do not tie with the creation of a new and just society. People are told that they cannot inquire into the use of those funds as they are God's and only the pastor knows what the will of God for it is. A new testament church in ol testament priesthood robes! On the contrary the non jewish believe cried out when their widows were not cared for - this was a misuse - of the gifts of the saints and the Saints had no hesitation in crying out. Today people are told that they do not have a right to ask if they are being cared for because the offering has been made to God. It was a similar thing that Jesus spoke against when he rebuked the pharisees for saying that they were free from caring for their parents if the gift was made to the temple. God did not give his son for the establishment of any church organization or mission let no one be deceived that because Jesus rode on a donkey he will return on a donkey. God will use any available vessel but the letter to the churches indicates he has a [b]definite model [/b]for how that vessel will work. God desires a new society that will serve as light to the nation's; offering an example of what society looks like when God is in control. To attract and rebuke.

If the vessel will not accept the priesthood of believers then it is not a church and it's claims must be regarded as religious humanism.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by tillaman(m): 11:19am On Jan 22, 2017
Didn't even notice at all!!Lol, I barely pay tithe sef, I only help d needy, I prefer that to tithing

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by seguno2: 11:20am On Jan 22, 2017
stainlink:
There is the tendency that Malachi is more pastor centered than Deuteronomy

The Malachi book is addressed to Levites/priests on what they do with their own portion of the tithes they collect as detailed in Deuteronomy. You should read Malachi 1 to get the full gist.
The Malachi 3: 8-10 is for the Levites/priests to leave the tithes that they collect in the synagogue/church as the storehouse of God so that the poor can have food.
This is in line with Matthew 25: 35-40.
Let us read the bible so we are not scammed by the charlatans who claim to represent god to their sheeple.
My people perish for lack of knowledge. Knowledge of the word of God.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Nobody: 11:20am On Jan 22, 2017
wow. I love this thread.
first religious Christian thread that makes sense.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by gerg: 11:20am On Jan 22, 2017
What's the purpose of this thread? I do not get what the point of the poster is.
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by hysteriabox(m): 11:23am On Jan 22, 2017
stainlink:
There is the tendency that Malachi is more pastor centered than Deuteronomy

Lol

I love your response.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by adedehinbo(m): 11:27am On Jan 22, 2017
Christianity is a confused religion aim at enriching the pastors,imagine pastors collecting millions of tithes from members nd not dropping his own

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by kelly72: 11:30am On Jan 22, 2017
CecyAdrian:
While reading through the scripture one day, I came across rules and regulations concerning tithe in Deuteronomy , I was shocked because I never knew that the issue of tithe was talked about anywhere else excerpt in Malachi 3:8. Now, when you take a look at Deuteronomy 14 when God was giving the children of Israelite rules and regulations, God explained the concept or reason for tithe to them and gave them rules to abide in regards to it, from verse 22 downwards explains it so well.

Then you also go to Deuteronomy 26:12 downwards, the same rule was also repeated, and an very sure that the reason why God said that we should bring our tithes and offering in Malachi 3: 10 was for the actualization of his rules and regulation in Deuteronomy, which is feeding the Levites, poor, widows and the needy in the society

So, now I ask, why do pastors prefer Malachi even to the extent of twisting it to favour their aims instead of giving their church members the full concept, rules and regulations regarding tithing which the Lord commanded in Deuteronomy.

My brother, I thought I was the only person who read Deuteronomy Chapter 14. There is another place, I think in Numbers Chapter 18. Look at it please. What we have is a complete bastardisation of the scriptures for selfish purposes. I once read out these 2 Chapters in a gathering one day and everybody was bewildered and told me I was not reading from the Bible. They had never heard of that part before. They argued that the Book of Malachy instructs them to take their tithes to their pastor, chikena.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by ilynem(m): 11:32am On Jan 22, 2017
1stCitizen:

Yes before his death abolished the law. The New testament also says we should not give out of compulsion.

The gift of giving is spiritual and not material. I have stopped being deceived by reading the bible myself rather than listen to the interpretation of charlatans than might never make heaven.
Dunno why everyone is quoting me on this tithe thing now. It's a very old thread and i don't think I have the stomach to argue on this anymore. Will just point out two things though from your post.
1. Paying Tithe came before the law. It wasn't a law set up by Moses.
2. It is not out of compulsion.
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by emmynku(m): 11:36am On Jan 22, 2017
Frankly amidst all these verses or explanation.not even 1 said pay your tithe to your pastor! Tithing to pastors are so abused and it has bcome somewhat an embarrassment to christiandom.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by seunmsg(m): 11:41am On Jan 22, 2017
melejo:
Op the pastor never forbid you from reading your Bible. You are only entertaining the gullible like Seun of nairaland. Malachi as well says "that there may be meat in my house" so it never said any different thing from others. Scripture says you should study your Bible, so do so and improve on what your pastor is preaching. There is no where it is said that your pastor must be more knowledgeable in the Bible than you. Go and read your Bibleand practice what is acceptable and stop all this Sunday nonsence

So, how many times daily do your church provide meat for the poor and needy?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by DeKen: 11:43am On Jan 22, 2017
annunaki2:

Where in the bible is tithes called an eternal principle and why is biblical tithing different from the fraudulent type preached in churches today?
Numbers 18:21-30Amplified Bible (AMP)

21 “Behold, I have given the Levites all the tithe in Israel as an inheritance, in return for their service which they perform, the service of the Tent of Meeting (tabernacle). 22 The Israelites shall never again approach the Tent of Meeting [the covered sanctuary, the Holy Place, and the Holy of Holies], or they [who do] will incur sin and die. 23 Only the Levites shall perform the service of the Tent of Meeting (tabernacle), and they shall bear their iniquity; it shall be a statute forever throughout your generations, that the Levites shall have no inheritance [of land] among the children of Israel. 24 But the tithe of the Israelites, which they present as an offering to the Lord, I have given to the Levites as an inheritance; therefore I have said to them, ‘They shall [a]have no inheritance among the children of Israel.’”
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by CoolAmbience(m): 11:44am On Jan 22, 2017
CecyAdrian:
While reading through the scripture one day, I came across rules and regulations concerning tithe in Deuteronomy , I was shocked because I never knew that the issue of tithe was talked about anywhere else excerpt in Malachi 3:8. Now, when you take a look at Deuteronomy 14 when God was giving the children of Israelite rules and regulations, God explained the concept or reason for tithe to them and gave them rules to abide in regards to it, from verse 22 downwards explains it so well.

Then you also go to Deuteronomy 26:12 downwards, the same rule was also repeated, and an very sure that the reason why God said that we should bring our tithes and offering in Malachi 3: 10 was for the actualization of his rules and regulation in Deuteronomy, which is feeding the Levites, poor, widows and the needy in the society

So, now I ask, why do pastors prefer Malachi even to the extent of twisting it to favour their aims instead of giving their church members the full concept, rules and regulations regarding tithing which the Lord commanded in Deuteronomy.

The veil is slowly being removed. OP, you have just been redeemed!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by CoolAmbience(m): 11:46am On Jan 22, 2017
annunaki2:
The malachi passage can be easily manipulated cause tithes is not defined in it unlike deuteronomy that clearly defines tithes as contrary to what pastors will like you to believe it is.

You are blessed.
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by adedayoa2(f): 11:46am On Jan 22, 2017
seunmsg:

So, how many times daily do your church provide meat for the poor and needy?

my church do that regularly
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by pennywys(m): 11:49am On Jan 22, 2017
ilynem:
Contrary to popular belief, tithing is not an old testament thingy. Jesus spoke about it in Matthew 23:23.
what did He said about tithe?
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by CoolAmbience(m): 11:49am On Jan 22, 2017
Junia:

They were still under the law at that time
Christians are not under the law
Tithing was not money but agricultural products
Jesus didnt pay tithe neither did His disciples because they had no agricultural products
The tithe was for the levites .. priests .. widows etc
Now we Christians are the royal priesthood
Who are we paying tithes to ??

Please ask them, I just don't get it? Pay tithe to who?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by hysteriabox(m): 11:50am On Jan 22, 2017
Churches-especially the pentecostals have done some terrible pick n choose to scripture.
Tithing was mentioned in 3 circumstances in the bible, but only one stands as a command to the nation of Israel
1. Tithing as a historic custom- Abraham-Melchizedek
2. Tithing as a token of a promise- Jacob promisevto God at Penuel
3. Tithing as a Mosaic law- part of the commandments brought to Israel from God by moses

So unless your custom enjoins you-of which we are not bound by our customs anymore- or you have a personal vow to God that has tithing as one of your obligations or you are a native Jew who still believes the law is still very active today-this means you going to the temple at Jerusalem annually to pay ( note only garins and such as were gotten from the fruitful earth of Israel is acceptable. So, you ll have to do your farming In Israel too), none of these apply to you.

Today, we cant ascribe any of the above to the present church. But no, pastors won't have any of that.
Some say "tithing predates the law, so it is applicable to today's believer no matter what". If so, I have a premise- if so, then what's good for the goose is good for the gander, the Sabbath day presates the law- God blessed it and exemplified it in the beginning. So, lets implement it now.

"You must be stingy for not wanting to pay common tithe". Now that's the card swindlers use to get you. What fuels most ppl to give tithe is fear and insecurity- fear of being broke, peradventure and insecurity cos it's what is commonly being done. Most exceptionals had to march the lonely road of truth alone for awhile. SELAH

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by seunmsg(m): 11:51am On Jan 22, 2017
adedayoa2:
my church do that regularly

You mean I can walk into your church morning, afternoon and night and eat comfortably everyday? Oya, give me your church address. I will need to visit to satisfy my curiosity.
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by seunlayi(m): 11:51am On Jan 22, 2017
CecyAdrian:

In that verse Jesus even condemned the manner in which tithe was favoured instead justice, mercy and faith, He even likened it to one cleaning the outside of th dish while the inside is dirty.
this is one of the aspects which you can detect a true church. In my church, tithes & offering is always played down, it is the shortest activity in any deeperlife church. The prayer over it takes less than a minute, dropping it in the bag is done almost in the background with no time allocated to it. It is not compulsory, it is if you have.....

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by seguno2: 11:52am On Jan 22, 2017
petra1:
No you're wrong . There were 2 major tithes in Israel . Actually 3 . But majorly 2 . The first one is the yearly tithes Which goes to the priesthood esclusively every year. While the other is every 3 years . And also the tithes that is eaten in a feast is different from the tithes given to God .

Deuteronomy 14:22
22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.

Numbers 18:21
21 And, behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tenth in Israel for an inheritance, for their service which they serve, even the service of the tabernacle of the congregation.

Leviticus 27:30
30 And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord's: it is holy unto the Lord.

The second one is every 3 years which is shared .

Deuteronomy 14:28
28 At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:

The third one is for family to cover for the feast expenses or so . I will double check on this . The tithes that is eaten in a feast is different from the tithes given to God

What can be your benefit in twisting Bible passages by quoting them incompletely and out of context to provide a FALSE reading thereof?
For what benefit?
In exchange for what curse?
Why paint God as an author of confusion, when He clearly is not?
The next verses, 23-27 of the Deuteronomy 14 you quoted says what is to be done yearly:

23 And thou shalt eat before the Lord thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the Lord thy God always.

24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the Lord thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the Lord thy God hath blessed thee:

25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the Lord thy God shall choose:

26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the Lord thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,

27 And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee.

29 And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the Lord thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

The difference with the third year is that you don't have to go away to a special place to EAT and ENJOY your tithe with others. You stay in your house and EAT it with others.
The Numbers 18 that you quoted was also out of context as shown below:

20 And the Lord spake unto Aaron, Thou shalt have no inheritance in their land, neither shalt thou have any part among them: I am thy part and thine inheritance among the children of Israel.

22 Neither must the children of Israel henceforth come nigh the tabernacle of the congregation, lest they bear sin, and die.

23 But the Levites shall do the service of the tabernacle of the congregation, and they shall bear their iniquity: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations, that among the children of Israel they have no inheritance.

24 But the tithes of the children of Israel, which they offer as an heave offering unto the Lord, I have given to the Levites to inherit: therefore I have said unto them, Among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance.

It is what the Levites collected from the annual tithes offerings that they were supposed to use for sacrifice on behalf of other Israelites while leaving some in the storehouse for the poor to also eat from.
From what we read in Malachi 1 onwards, the Levites were not doing this correctly hence the warning for the Levites in Malachi 3: 8-10.
Jesus Christ clearly indicated in Matthew 25: 35-40 how to give things, including tithes unto God. See below:

35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by seguno2: 11:57am On Jan 22, 2017
ilynem:
Contrary to popular belief, tithing is not an old testament thingy. Jesus spoke about it in Matthew 23:23.

When Jesus spoke about it in Matthew 23:23 was He dead and resurrected?
No!
Had he FULFILLED the law by His death and resurrection?
No!!
If a law/contract is FULFILLED, do you need to still work under the law/contract?
No!!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by kolaish(m): 11:58am On Jan 22, 2017
WHY DO YOU ALWAYS HAVE PROBLEM WITH PAYING TITHE? IT IS VOLUNTARY AND NO PASTOR HAS EVER FORCED ANYBODY TO PAY. SO, WHY THE NOISE ALWAYS ABOUT TITHE? IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEM WITH IT, WHY NOT ASK/CONFRONT YOUR PASTOR ABOUT IT OR LOOK FOR A CHURCH WHERE U WILL NOT BE ASKED TO PAY TITHE.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Nobody: 11:59am On Jan 22, 2017
ilynem:

Exactly. Jesus condemned the manner it was paid but never said it was wrong to pay it. Two different things.

There was no way Jesus would have condemned tithing at the time, since it was still the dispensation of the law. The moment He died, all the law was fulfilled. Tithing belongs in the era of the law.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by southpole: 11:59am On Jan 22, 2017
Enasuarez:

Dear writer, don't mistaken giving of alms to tithing. The word of God standeth sure. Malachi 3 vs 10-11, God was trying to tell us that the key to kingdom prosperity lies in tithing. He said and I shall open the windows of heaven and pour you blessings and devourers rebuked as a result of your obedience. Don't be concern about who takes the tithe, but be concerned about His faithfulness to fulfilling His promises. if you don't give your tithe, things would be tight for you and devourers would come in different forms of wasting to swallow your finances. Take it nor leave it, tithing averts calamities and opens doors of sweatless blessings to addicted tithers. So learn to be an addicted tither not a mocker of the written word.
Going by your preaching addicted tithers like you should have been the richest people in d world not the likes of Dangote who is not even a christian talk less of paying tithe

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (38) (Reply)

1000 NAMES, TITLES, AND ATTRIBUTES OF GOD (A-Z)WITH BIBLE VERSES / Coronavirus: Winners Chapel Reacts To Criticism Of Service Held On Sunday 22nd / George Castro-Yankey Caught In Sex Scandal - VIDEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.