Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,986 members, 7,799,378 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:57 PM

Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? (11090 Views)

Never Use Dishwashing Liquid To Wash Your Car / Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? / Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by TPound(m): 8:19am On Jan 09, 2017
Hello fellow Nairalanders...
A man had problems with his car alternator this morning and when I asked him if he washes his engine,he said yes.thus my question. is Hot water or cold water the best to wash a car engine?
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Greene66: 2:20pm On Jan 09, 2017
Hot or cold.

Anyone goes.

The alternator should be covered when washing. Hot or cold water is not allowed there

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jan 09, 2017
The engine compartment is not designed for a lot of water – you could be getting water into areas where it shouldn’t be and it can cause corrosion. Water could get into the alternator or the engine sensors, causing damage. It can also push dirt onto belts, thereby causing squeaks. If you’re really unfortunate, water could get into your engine through the induction system, from around the air cleaner. It’s unlikely, but you could force water into the cylinders and cause huge damage. Anything that gets wet should be dried, ideally with compressed air, and then by running the engine until everything dries out.

But to answer your question, washing the engine depends on if the engine itself is cold, warm or hot. Using warm or cool water on a hot engine could cool things too fast, stressing the metal and, potentially, causing cracks. So I'd advise you use lukewarm soapy water to wash your engine.

My dad taught me to use either petrol or diesel to wash my engine, though I prefer using diesel.

74 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jan 09, 2017
There's no harebrain scheme you won't read of in this section undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by micklplus(m): 6:32pm On Jan 09, 2017
I don't use any ever. Whether cold or hot.
What I do is to get diesel and a small hand brush. I then brush away the debris and dirty. Wherever the brush can't get to is left like that. It's not as if I drive in muds nah.

7 Likes

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Marshalrhino(m): 8:23pm On Jan 09, 2017
MsDelilah:
The engine compartment is not designed for a lot of water – you could be getting water into areas where it shouldn’t be and it can cause corrosion. Water could get into the alternator or the engine sensors, causing damage. It can also push dirt onto belts, thereby causing squeaks. If you’re really unfortunate, water could get into your engine through the induction system, from around the air cleaner. It’s unlikely, but you could force water into the cylinders and cause huge damage. Anything that gets wet should be dried, ideally with compressed air, and then by running the engine until everything dries out.

But to answer your question, washing the engine depends on if the engine itself is cold, warm or hot. Using warm or cool water on a hot engine could cool things too fast, stressing the metal and, potentially, causing cracks. So I'd advise you use lukewarm soapy water to wash your engine.

My dad taught me to use either petrol or diesel to wash my engine, though I prefer using diesel.
damn! U're knowledge about cars is vast nd so amazing. What did u study?

9 Likes

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Marshalrhino(m): 8:25pm On Jan 09, 2017
MsDelilah:

why do u prefer diesel?
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jan 09, 2017
Marshalrhino:

damn! U're knowledge about cars is vast nd so amazing. What did u study?

I studied Economics. But I'm an avid reader of Car magazines.

19 Likes

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jan 09, 2017
Marshalrhino:

why do u prefer diesel?

Petrol is a solvent. It has a way of removing protective oils from parts. Diesel doesn't.

Besides, if anything goes wrong, petrol burns faster than diesel.

22 Likes

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Marshalrhino(m): 5:19am On Jan 10, 2017
MsDelilah:

Petrol is a solvent. It has a way of removing protective oils from parts. Diesel doesn't.

Besides, if anything goes wrong, petrol burns faster than diesel.
i get it
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by lonelydora: 5:28am On Jan 10, 2017
MsDelilah:

I studied Economics. But I'm an avid reader of Car magazines.

Thought you studied Metallurgy.

Back to topic..... I better drive a dirty engine than to have it washed whether hot or cold water.

3 Likes

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 6:02am On Jan 10, 2017
EgunMogaji:

angry
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by mcfynest(m): 6:45am On Jan 10, 2017
Mixture of both lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by victorazy(m): 6:47am On Jan 10, 2017
I have this phobic of washing car engine after it burnt my Brainbox of my Hyundai Accent in 2013
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Adonike(m): 6:47am On Jan 10, 2017
I suggest Cold water. This I think would be better than the hot one since it can also serve as a coolant for the engine!
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by MrGreenMavro: 6:50am On Jan 10, 2017
lukewarm water
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by free2ryhme: 6:54am On Jan 10, 2017
TPound:
A man had problems with his car alternator this morning and when I asked him if he washes his engine,he said yes.thus my question. is Hot water or cold water the best to wash a car engine?

Use water
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 6:55am On Jan 10, 2017
wash your car engine only when you wanna sell it lipsrsealed

10 Likes

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Lexusgs430: 6:56am On Jan 10, 2017
None.
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by kuluTemper: 6:57am On Jan 10, 2017
Has anybody ever asked him or herself, what is the great idea behind washing your car engine?

I have used my car for more than 3 years and the engine hasn't been washed and nothing has gone wrong.

I laugh whenever I see cars develop lots of engine troubles after a wash.

Let's be realistic here, do you drive your car with the hood opened? The engine is covered and hidden from view for a reason.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by obidevine(m): 7:08am On Jan 10, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Why don't you help out instead of talking thrash. If you can't help out then stfu.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 7:08am On Jan 10, 2017
Don't know so much but I see car engines being washed with a steam wash, any disadvantage?

1 Like

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by bareal(m): 7:09am On Jan 10, 2017
TPound:

Neither hot nor cold. Room temperature is the best.
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by obidevine(m): 7:09am On Jan 10, 2017
MsDelilah:

Nice one

2 Likes

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Realwvn(m): 7:10am On Jan 10, 2017
Please visit my site http://naijanewsrave.com
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by kingreign(m): 7:11am On Jan 10, 2017
I use water a lot to wash my car engine. Infact I sometimes pour a bucket full of water directly on the engine.
If ya engine is ish, it is ish.

1 Like

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by AntiWailer: 7:12am On Jan 10, 2017
More recent cars dnt care anymore.

They wash my engine after every servicing.

No need to cover anything. Hot or Cold.

Everything is already well covered by design.
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 7:12am On Jan 10, 2017
I've read a lot about the topic and from experts experience, most prefer to wash with steam while the engine is running.
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by dyangprof(m): 7:17am On Jan 10, 2017
use white acid H20
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by GMBuhari: 7:19am On Jan 10, 2017
Cold water hot rinsing grin
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by sorextee(m): 7:37am On Jan 10, 2017
I dont really know much bout cars.. So let me just read comments and learn.. That person thst commented in blue ink, you try well well.. U sabi the ins and outs of cars.. Thumbs up..

3 Likes

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 7:45am On Jan 10, 2017
obidevine:

Why don't you help out instead of talking thrash. If you can't help out then stfu.

Thanks for the suggestion but I'll have to decline.

Foxtrot Oscar grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Power Is Becoming Cheap:The 13 Fastest Cars Under $50,000 / Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! / Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.