Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,826 members, 7,802,640 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:04 PM

School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) - Education (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) (125487 Views)

Fire Incident At Anchor University (Photos) / Anchor University Lagos 2017 / 2018 Admission Processing Ongoing. Admission Fo / Anchor University: Deeper Life Bible Church Gives 30% Discount To Members. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by oluamid(m): 10:35am On Jan 15, 2017
Statsocial:

The Barclay is more like a seminary(almost everything taught there is biblical/ministerial/theological. College of the Ozarks requires all students to work on campus but I can't really find any educational activity on their website. Bold christian university is also like Barclays-they only teach christian evangelism and theology-these institutions aren't academic they are created strictly for theology some of the Pastors/Doctors of Theology lecturing there probably lecture for free.

Barclay and College of the Ozarks are full fledged universities who have both mundane and Christian courses. Bold is the only seminary there but they still have some secular courses.

The main point of the argument however is that they are Christian Universities that are free for students.
Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by Junior66(m): 10:40am On Jan 15, 2017
blueseacats:
Harvard and Princeton are for profit schools, our fathers went to missionary schools and got the best education for free. Charity schools, that's what churches should be like.
Charity is not free, someone paid for it to be free for others. Why economics hard una na?
Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by Nobody: 10:46am On Jan 15, 2017
frosbel2:
Deeperlife hypocrites defending the indefensible.

This has nothing to do with how much it takes to run the university , most of the money used to build the university and even continue to maintain it comes from the pockets of ordinary church members who can barely make two ends meet.

To think that only those with plenty of money will be able to afford the fees is disgusting , wicked and very evil.

I keep saying these churches have NOTHING to do with Christ and this is a prime example.
Who told u it came from ordinary church members So u assume everyone that contributed to the school I a pauper
Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by Nobody: 10:49am On Jan 15, 2017
By Ife Olaleye
There has been so much buzz about Church universities being expensive in Nigeria and I would like to address some of this controversies mostly using Covenant University as a case study
Tithes/Offerings are used to build Church Universities?This seems to be a widely asserted theory. This is partly not true because most Churches don’t exactly use Tithes/Offerings for building church universities but create special donations for that purpose. Usually, the initial university capital projects are funded with these donations. We have to remember that the core mandate of any church isn’t not to create universities but to preach the gospel of Jesus and help the poor and this done with tithe/offering to establish outreaches, pay pastoral salaries, build new churches etc.
Donations can’t sustain recurrent expenditure: while ‘excited’ members would usually agree to pay donations for the initial financial responsibility of the universities. No church would be able to get its church members to continually pay for its recurrent expenditure. In fact if any of these church schools were to try and choose continual donations as an alternative to ‘High’ tuition fees the next thing you would see are private university lecturers going on strike.
Are Church universities profitable?I do not believe any sane investor or business man would venture into the tertiary education sector with the aim of making profit. There is a reason why you wouldn’t find Otedola or Dangote investing in education.
Assumed wealth of the Church:there is a saying in Yoruba land that ‘’the chicken sweats but the feathers won’t let you know’’. Would you believe that Oyedepo nearly missed his own deadline for the establishment of the first two halls of residence in Covenant University? because donations weren’t coming forth, until God miraculously provided.
‘Expensive’ tuition isn’t unique to Pentecostal Churches: whilst many choose to assault Bishop Oyedepo for charging high tuition fees. It is important to note that even Orthodox churches which are known not to be ‘’prosperity conscious’’ charge within the same bracket e.g Bowen(Baptist), ECWA(Bingham), Godfrey Okoye(Catholic), Adventist(Babcock), JABU(CAC) e.t.c
Expensive tuition isn’t unique to Church universities alone;Church universities are ranked to be generally good with Covenant University averagely in top three on the two out of four most reputable rankings in the world-Webometrics and Times higher education. However Islamic schools that are not in the top 50 universities in Nigeria but also charge about half a million which is about the same thing CU charges.
The underlining purpose for creating Church schools;This is very important, the creation of church schools isn’t to actually teach physics and chemistry, but to create a spiritual revolution. Take that spiritual revolution away from CU, then it is by no means different from Afebabalola university. Therefore, if you are a committed member of your church you are already a member of that movement. For instance I am not a living faith member, but by attending CU I have joined myself to the spiritual movement of the existing members.
Finally, Church education can not be seen as a means to compensate members for years of dedication or commitment to tithing but an end time ammunition to take over the education sector for Jesus. However the church has a responsibility to the poor-and that cannot be overstated. Although it is wrong for you to expect material gain from your church because you gave your Tithes/Offerings to them-it goes against the principles of scripture. When you give your tithe next time, remember that you are giving it out to be blessed by God and not Church.

4 Likes

Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by JAWBONE(m): 11:12am On Jan 15, 2017
Jokerman:
so poor deeper lifers can't attend this school too.... grin

I see....
STFU, deeper lifers are not POOR
Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by saintmark88(m): 11:28am On Jan 15, 2017
asuustrike2009:

They're not making profit and if they were,it's small. The cost of maintenance ,payment of wages, updating facilities to meet up with nuc standard alone cost money. Such schools hardly run medicine because they can't afford to do it. If need their cost analysis, visit the school accountant for details. Moreover Nigeria churches aren't the churches running universities in the world

Prove oga.... Dnt just say stuffs that u wish to believe to satisfy urself n expect me to swallow it.... Provide ur proof
Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by Exciton(m): 11:29am On Jan 15, 2017
mayberry1:

To think that you compared this institution with Harvard is really mind boggling, non of the Nigerian universities(private/public), is among first 800 universities in the world, so where does quality education come to play? Our educational system is a serious joke; a system whereby most lecturers find it difficult to do in-depth research, plagiarism is the order of the day. Lecturers still lecture students with 1st and 2nd edition of foreign textbooks, while the 10th edition has already been reviewed and in use. I'm of the opinion that any parent who can effortlessly send his/her ward to a private university should do the child some good by sending him/her to a not so expensive school abroad. About the scholarship scheme; you forget it's equally a business enterprise that's expected to have large profit(turnover).

That's the really crazy thing! Their only defense is that quality education doesn't come on a cheap. And then you wonder what exactly they mean by "quality" education.

No private university in Nigeria has the equipment to conduct any bloody scientific research. Neither do they have well renowned professors that are active in research. It's still the same pool of shitty naija lecturers they employ from. In fact, they have the lowest number of professors. The only thing they have is empty buildings that's a bit fine on the outside, greeneries, and no strike action.

These people don't understand that quality education isn't about buildings but having the teachers who will spark creativity and critical thinking in their wards as well as the equipment to be able to carry out independent research.

The real question is: why the hell do these churches feel they need to build universities?

As it's more charitable to the poor masses to use the money to equip existing universities and research institutes to become world class standard.

1 Like

Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by saintmark88(m): 11:32am On Jan 15, 2017
[quote author=laudate post=52821862]

So who owns the newly established Augustine University, in Ilara near Epe? The ghost of the Catholic Church

It's owned by a Catholic archdiocese, not necessarily the Catholic church
Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by Nobody: 11:35am On Jan 15, 2017
Junior66:

Charity is not free, someone paid for it to be free for others. Why economics hard una na?
Did you really type this with your senses intact? Did you even double check the meaning of charity before you started typing? The definition of charity has never changed and the last time I checked it means people giving freely so others can get for free.

Economists my ass, all of you pen and paper economists in nigeria is the reason we are still in dark ages.

Do you even know what tax return is? If you do why do government give people rebate for charity donations ?

Why did the government of western nations stipulate that charity organizations must use 90 % of their incoming donations on charity work( free of charge activities) and only 10 %for the day to day running of their internal affairs?

"Charity begins at home "they say, you can't donate shoe if you don't have one yourself. If you are among those who donate to winners chapel every Sunday and can't afford to send yourself , your child or anyone you love to covenant university your case is worse than those at yaba left.

Am not typing this to change you cause your case is irredeemable, rather I want those with rational and critical thinking ability to learn a thing or two.

1 Like

Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by atheistandproud(m): 11:35am On Jan 15, 2017
It's a very simple question, oh ye defenders of the indefensible. Is a university a profit or non profit venture? If no, why are they collecting fees? Why aren't the fees subsidised? Na poor man pikin wan stay inside AC hostel abi? Is that not discrimination as encouraged by the church?
Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by Nobody: 11:37am On Jan 15, 2017
Exciton:

That's the really crazy thing! Their only defense is that quality education doesn't come on a cheap. And then you wonder what exactly they mean by "quality" education.

No private university in Nigeria has the equipment to conduct any bloody scientific research. Neither do they have well renowned professors that are active in research. It's still the same pool of shitty naija lecturers they employ from. In fact, they have the lowest number of professors. The only thing they have is empty buildings that's a bit fine on the outside, greeneries, and no strike action.

These people don't understand that quality education isn't about buildings but having the teachers who will spark creativity and critical thinking in their wards as well as the equipment to be able to carry out independent research.

The real question is: why the hell do these churches feel they need to build universities?

As it's more charitable to the poor masses to use the money to equip existing universities and research institutes to become world class standard.
Most of them are irrational and deranged so don't bother too much to change their thinking.

1 Like

Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by atheistandproud(m): 11:37am On Jan 15, 2017
blueseacats:
Did you really type this with your senses intact? Did you even double check the meaning of charity before you started typing? The definition of charity has never changed and the last time I checked it means people giving freely so others can get for free.

Economists my ass, all of you pen and paper economists in nigeria is the reason we are still in dark ages.

Do you even know what tax return is? If you do why do government give people rebate for charity donations ?

Why did the government of western nations stipulate that charity organizations must use 90 % of their incoming donations on charity work( free of charge activities) and only 10 %for the day to day running of their internal affairs?

"Charity begins at home "they say, you can't donate shoe if you don't have one yourself. If you are among those who donate to winners chapel every Sunday and can't afford to send yourself , your child or anyone you love to covenant university your case is worse than those at yaba left.

Am not typing this to change you cause your case is irredeemable, rather I want those with rational and critical thinking ability to learn a thing or two.

There's one near me here who is ready to throw punches once Bishop Oyebaba is mentioned. I dunno wetin e dey give dem chop every Sunday.
Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by EmmySparky(m): 11:38am On Jan 15, 2017
Junior66:

brot it for free?? Someone in Britain was paying for it joor. Economics sir.
its for free for the students...ask the wole soyinkas and the chinua achebe if they paid for basic education (primary school and secondary school)...if a common monarch in britain could pay for it...what stops the church headed by a servant of GOD to pay for the fees too...
Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by EmmySparky(m): 11:40am On Jan 15, 2017
Junior66:

subsidised further? Why are you displaying ur ignorance here naw?? JABU i was told by one of their workers has to source/beg for about 40million monthly to pay their workers even when there fees is already very high, currently 650 or so. What do you suggest they do? Close de skul or further reduce fees? Their workers are still being owed Nov. and Dec. salaries on top o. So just shut up and learn.
u result to insults cos u got nothing reasonable to say...answer thge question i asked u or keep mute if u got nothing meaningful to say
Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by Jokerman(m): 11:42am On Jan 15, 2017
JAWBONE:

STFU, deeper lifers are not POOR

Amen to that sire....
Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by Chikelue2000(m): 12:17pm On Jan 15, 2017
BiafranBushBoy:
Which private school is cheap?

How will they pay the professors and lecturers?

How will they equip the school?

Or will the money fall from sky?

#Proud Deeperlifer
I am proud to see my brother here, deeper life till Christ come
Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by laudate: 12:31pm On Jan 15, 2017
saintmark88:
It's owned by a Catholic archdiocese, not necessarily the Catholic church

Oh, so the Catholic archdiocese is not part of the Catholic Church, abi? shocked And they did not get the approval of the Catholic Church to set it up? Why una dey argue like person wey no go school, nah?? sad
Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jan 15, 2017
atheistandproud:

There's one near me here who is ready to throw punches once Bishop Oyebaba is mentioned. I dunno wetin e dey give dem chop every Sunday.
I understand your pain, they have to go and be brainwashed every Sunday. That's their opiom.
Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by pressplay411(m): 1:01pm On Jan 15, 2017
Abeos:
Even though I will agree that the fees are high, I can't blame them because the cost of running such an institution is high. I only hope they also give scholarship opportunities for good but indigent students

Btw I'm ftc o grin grin grin

The grudge is not just the cut throat fees.
Why are all churches so profit oriented?
Why are they not venturing into charitable institutions? Hospitals, rehabs, orphanages, IDP camps etc?

The initial primary target of the church from inception are the poor and oppressed. But now it seems only the rich and affluent are catered for.
But quote some bible verses and you've pressed their mumu-button cos they just lose their better judgment while defending their church and MOG.

The bible is full of wisdom no doubt but so is reality.
Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by flamingREED(m): 1:01pm On Jan 15, 2017
pavy:

Your level of ignorance on this issue is alarming! How can you say that the burden bearers in the church are the rich. Now let me use the example you gave. In a church of say 5 million members. Let's say 5% of that population are wealthy while the rest fall into the category of your 30k/month salary.

If you calculate 95% of 5 million, the figure will be 4,750,000. Now multiply that figure by N3000 tithe monthly, what you have is billions which even the tithe of the extremely wealthy 5% put together may not measure up to, all things being equal.

Therefore, it is wrong for you to insinuate that the contributions of the poor amount to nothing in the devpt of the church. There is strength in numbers my dear. A few poor persons donating 'change' might be worthless. But when millions of people donate ordinary N50 each, my brother, even Barclays will beg you to bank with them.

A church of 5 million members? Where in Nigeria?
Did you also consider the unemployed youngsters and school leavers who are part of the church membership?
Do your Maths again.
Understand that the church can only hold one-tenth of the wealth of the working class.
Anything above that is given by freewill or sacrificially.
If the people hold 85% of their own wealth,
How come that 85% of their wealth cannot do for them what 10 - 15% tithes and offering can do? Because you want the church to care for everyone with that same percentage.

If you're unbiased enough, can you tell how much it takes to run a church?

Four or five months at the tail end of last year, Deeper Life Port Harcourt was supposed to spend about #30 000 000 (thirty million naira) each of those months to execute the crusade.

And we have over a billion naira auditorium in the pipeline here in PH.

We execute several retreats and convocations in the year which gulp hundreds of million if not billions.

We send part of the offerings to Lagos which are in turn released to build churches and furnish some existing ones.

Think of the staff in PH headquarters plus those in the Rivers regions who are on salaries: Say they are 300 in number and each receives 50 000 naira monthly, I.e #15m monthly.

There are also those on scholarships and charity.

Now, say we have 50 000 paying #5000 tithe monthly. That adds up to #250m a month.
Does that seem to meet the needs of the church in the long run?

In summary, a true church is just.
The God that instituted tithing specifically said: 'THAT there may be meat in MY house'.
It's entirely for church uses, not necessarily for charity'.

But that we still do.

Don't think you know much about Deeper Life.
Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by dyabman(m): 1:52pm On Jan 15, 2017
frosbel2:
Deeperlife hypocrites defending the indefensible.

This has nothing to do with how much it takes to run the university , most of the money used to build the university and even continue to maintain it comes from the pockets of ordinary church members who can barely make two ends meet.

To think that only those with plenty of money will be able to afford the fees is disgusting , wicked and very evil.

I keep saying these churches have NOTHING to do with Christ and this is a prime example.

How much does an ordinary church member contributed ? I as an ordinary member of the church i can't remember when last i contributed to whatever they ask of in the church aside my tithe (which is normal) and it wasn't even announced/mandatory that all members should contribute certain amount of money for the development of a University.

Even government universities that is so cheap it's even expensive for an ordinary citizen in Nigeria who lives under $1 a day !.
Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jan 15, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Are they forced? No
Did all the members contribute to this development? No
Can the tithes and offerings sustain it? No
Did everybody who contribute benefit? no
Who told you the tithe their tithes and offering of the multitude can't sustain it? i need to know d cost of running that school.
Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jan 15, 2017
Daboywizzy:
Let kumuyi continue to mislead people with a doctrine from hell.
.If I may ask ,are u a christain ?
Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by sirfemoz(m): 2:10pm On Jan 15, 2017
am4truth:

Pls for heaven sake, stop all these lies. Who told you all these you've typed. Is it by force you sow seed? Everything about church is voluntary.
Is government owned student cheap? When did you hear that private universities lecturers go on strike?
Can you afford to be a professor in such a school, and be collecting peanut?

Pls let criticise constructively. I used to think like you, but I know better now.

God would bless all parents to give their wards a good education.

What is the difference between Obafemi Awolowo Professor and Anchor University Professor? What has the Church given back to the society? I was told that the early missionaries brought schools and hospitals to some communities free of charge, without collecting dime from members. What has the present church given to the society?
Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jan 15, 2017
kaluxy007:
Did everybody who contribute benefit? no
Who told you the tithe their tithes and offering of the multitude can't sustain it? i need to know d cost of running that school.
Tithe and offerings can't sustain it because there are other expensive they incur.
Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jan 15, 2017
frosbel2:

You guys are the worst hypocrites of all Nigerian christendom.

With all your empty talk about holiness and being like Christ, this is the best explanation you can come up with ?

SMH
Stop your hatred and go and set up your university if you're not comfortable. Nobody is forcing anyone to attend neither are the members complaining
Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by jozz(m): 3:28pm On Jan 15, 2017
jeebz:

Farabale,

Quality education is free in Germany!!!!! I know that, however, who bares the costs? The government.

For Pete's sake, this is private university and they can choose to charge whatever fees they deem fit.

Where has cheap education led us to in Nigeria. I attended a public university likewise yourself.

Do you expect Deeper life to charge 50k for tuition and then after 5 years loose accreditation due to staff attrition and poor facilities.

Tertiary education is not cheap.

For your reading, https://www.anchoruniversity.edu.ng/discount
I rest my case

That is so not the point. The issue has to do with a CHURCH establishing a university.Any one can establish a university at whatever fees but a church claiming to represent God cannot most especially when it is established with contributions of all.Did the church tell the Cong that the school will not be affordable to all when completed?
I dare any church that wants to build a university to inform the members ahead the outrageous school fees that will be requested and see what happens.Thank God I am too enlightened tobe a member of any such church.

Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by Chelseafan1: 3:35pm On Jan 15, 2017
dyabman:

How much does an ordinary church member contributed ? I as an ordinary member of the church i can't remember when last i contributed to whatever they ask of in the church aside my tithe (which is normal) and it wasn't even announced/mandatory that all members should contribute certain amount of money for the development of a University.

Even government universities that is so cheap it's even expensive for an ordinary citizen in Nigeria who lives under $1 a day !.

I never contributed 1 kobo to this Cause and no one bothered me to pay anything, even if you don't pay ur tithe and offering, no one will disturb you.

1 Like

Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by jozz(m): 3:40pm On Jan 15, 2017
pavy:

you are missing the point, its not a question of weda a private university is expensive to run. The point is, what is the motive for establishing a private university in the first place? For a church, I would like to think that their motive should be to provide a better alternative to the public schools. We all know that our public versities is a hub of all form of social vices like cultism and indecent dressing. Therefore, a church owned university should be a place of high moral and educational standards, where members can send their kids to without the fear of them being corrupted or initiated into cult groups.

Therefore, a church should not bother to set up a university if over 90% of its members can't afford to send their kids to such a school. Whose kids do they hope to train, when they setup the versity and fix such a high price as tuition fee? in a country where over 60% of Nigerians live below $1 per day.

Somebody made mention of quality education being free in Germany. It is true. What that person failed to mention is the fact that most of these schools abroad get constant donations from ex-students, organizations, and wealthy citizens to maintain the standard of the school. Unfortunately in Nigeria, instead of donating to our public universities to improve the standards, our politicians and other wealthy Nigerians set up their own schools to compete with the public schools, thereby worsening their ratings and standard further. It is disheartening to see that even churches have joined in this trend.

A church should not concern itself with building schools, their plates are full already as it were. Millions of people still haven't heard of Jesus, and according to Mark 16:15-16, evangelism is the only commission Jesus gave to the church.

Bottom line is that churches should not be building universities to compete with our public universities, they can use the fund to donate equipments, and fund research work in our schools. But if for any reason they set up a university, it should be for the benefit of its members and for the furtherance of the gospel of Christ. Anything contrary to this is unacceptable. Unless the schools were set up to make profit.

Best comment of the thread.
Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by battleaxe: 4:02pm On Jan 15, 2017
seunH:

BEAUTIFUL !!! But the question still remains, why can't the above church do what you have just written.

Being a nun or priest is a calling. You also cannot force people to volunteer their time willingly.

In fact let's not go too far, would you volunteer your time free or charge or either just a stipend paid monthly for your services in a missionary school?
Re: School Fees Of Anchor University, Deeper Life Owned (Screenshots) by Mobinatric: 4:40pm On Jan 15, 2017
U are a bloody scammer DAT wld roast in hell with that your site
ojo090:
if you account is still frozen log into your account through the link http://nigeria-nmm./ to unfreeze and see you new mavro

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Free Downloadable Post Utme Past Questions And Answers for University Aspirants. / The Easiest University To Get Admission For Medicine And Surgery In Nigeria / List Of Foreign Accredited Universty By NUC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.