Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,813 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:52 AM

Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism (13583 Views)

Pastor James Ng'ang'a Arrested For Exposing A Woman's Breast During Deliverance / From Nihilist To Pastor & Theologian: How Dr. Greg Boyd Lost Faith In Atheism / Exposing The Marine Kingdom, Water Spirit. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by hopefulLandlord: 8:10pm On Jan 10, 2017
DoctorAlien:

If I see rape as good, it is good for me. Assuming 5 more persons, or 100 more persons are of the same view, rape is good for us. Is rape really good?

this is red herring

seems you're now clutching at straws now that I've shown you don't need any god to tell you what's right and wrong with a good example

1 Like

Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by felixomor: 8:12pm On Jan 10, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

this is red herring

seems you're now clutching at straws now that I've shown you don't need any god to tell you what's right and wrong with a good example

Guy, u r dodging so many questions.
Why will u be scared of yes or no question?
Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by DoctorAlien(m): 8:13pm On Jan 10, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

this is red herring

LOL grin grin grin Felixomor really predicted that you'll never answer the question.

But this has been my question all this while: if there are absolute moral values(like desisting from rape), who made them absolute?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by hopefulLandlord: 8:14pm On Jan 10, 2017
felixomor:

What was my initial comment,
"Morality originates from religion"

Or u didnt see that part?
Besides i thought u said "what nonsense religion" before?
Now u mentioning 3? Why?
U didnt know before?

And even if we come out, China is not a good moral example..it defeats your argument hands down.
Till today, china forces women to have abortions.
They have a high number of atheist murderers....

I dont know why u even mentioned them in a morality argument..

by nonsense religion I'm talking "god"

none of their major religion involves a god yet they decided on whats right and wrong, Who told them killing is wrong? who told them rape is wrong?

China forces women to have abortions? and do you know the reason for that?

1 Like

Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by felixomor: 8:16pm On Jan 10, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

by nonsense religion I'm talking "god"

none of their major religion involves a god yet they decided on whats right and wrong, Who told them killing is wrong? who told them rape is wrong?

China forces women to have abortions? and do you know the reason for that?

Oh undecided
So

It is good to force women to have abortions?
True or False?
Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by DoctorAlien(m): 8:16pm On Jan 10, 2017
felixomor:

Guy, u r dodging so many questions.
Why will u be scared of yes or no question?

He's clutching on to an obvious moral absolute so as not to appear bad, and yet he is denying the Author of that moral value grin A simple yes or no would have been enough for me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by dalaman: 8:16pm On Jan 10, 2017
DoctorAlien:

Can the views of a group of persons turn something that could be a relative(desisting from rape) into an absolute?

Yes. In Saudi Arabia the views of a few men have turnew something like driving for women into a crime. Today in Saudi Arabia if you drive as a woman you will be arrested for breaking the law.

Remember humans were the ones that formulated and legislated laws for slavery and when they realized that slavery wasn't good they legislated and formulated laws against it. Humans are the ones that created all moral laws of conduct. Religion is only an enforcing mechanism. Read the US Constitution as a perfect example.

3 Likes

Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by hopefulLandlord: 8:17pm On Jan 10, 2017
DoctorAlien:

LOL grin grin grin Felixomor really predicted that you'll never answer the question.

But this has been my question all this while: if there are absolute moral values(like desisting from rape), who made them absolute?

can there be good or bad without a god?

who made rape wrong in China?

until you tell me the god that gave the Chinese their morals I think I'm done here
Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by felixomor: 8:19pm On Jan 10, 2017
DoctorAlien:

He's clutching on to an obvious moral absolute so as not to appear bad, and yet he is denying the Author of that moral value grin A simple yes or no would have been enough for me.

Exactly.
They are the same people who would accuse religious people of " fallacy of appeal to authority"
Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by felixomor: 8:21pm On Jan 10, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

until you tell me the god that gave the Chinese their morals I think I'm done here

The escape is complete
Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by DoctorAlien(m): 8:21pm On Jan 10, 2017
dalaman:
Yes. In Saudi Arabia the views of a few men have turnew something like driving for women into a crime.

That women should desist from driving is not a moral absolute.

Don't prove to us that you're not intelligent.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by DoctorAlien(m): 8:25pm On Jan 10, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

LOL grin grin GOD is the Author of the universal moral code.

Don't tell me you're running. Whether rape is wrong in China or Gambia is not the issue. You might want to go and read the thread again from the beginning. The issue is: if I decide that rape is good, it is good for me. Assuming that 200 more people share the same view, rape is good for us. Now, is rape really good?
Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by hopefulLandlord: 8:25pm On Jan 10, 2017
DoctorAlien:

LOL grin grin GOD is the Author of the universal moral code.

Don't tell me you're running. Whether rape is wrong in China or Gambia is not the issue. You might want to go and read the thread again from the beginning. The issue is: if I decide that rape is good, it is good for me. Assuming that 200 more people share the same view, rape is good for us. Now, is rape really good?

felixomor:

Oh undecided
So

It is good to force women to have abortions?
True or False?

see? now you're asking good question, what are the reasons?

this is why morality as a whole is never absolute, there is always context

let's look at Denmark, why aren't they forcing women into abortion but China does?

overpopulation is the reason, the population is getting too out of hand that the government sees disaster coming unless they stem it

how did they do this? they passed a law on the highest number of children a couple can have and if you happen to get pregnant when past that, you would be forced to abort

that context now makes sense

so your question, is it wrong for the "Chinese" to perform forced abortions? looking at the reasons NO its not wrong

but that doesn't mean I'll say yes if Denmark starts doing the same thing, Comprende?

What benefits one person may be detrimental to another person. We can always think of exceptions to any rule. It may be wrong to kill someone but it may be necessary to kill in some circumstances because it is the lesser of the evils. Is it wrong to steal? What if you steal from someone who wastes food while your child is starving? If morality was objective, it would mean killing is either wrong or not wrong, stealing is either wrong or not wrong, regardless of the situation.

All definitions are subjective. Definitions are useful as long as there's good agreement on them and they suit the purpose they were defined for. your question suits, but is incomplete in that it doesn't iterate out all harms, or all sufficient reasons.

If you're wanting a very concise definition of "immoral" you're not going to find one which is useful or ultimately meaningful. Similarly, if you want a useful definition that actually works to reduce harm, then it's a very long and complex definition.

But just because morality is a hard subject, and the definition long and nuanced, doesn't make it necessarily subjective. We all feel pain in similar ways, we all have similar needs of food, shelter and company.

But you defining morality as coming from god is entirely subjective as that definition comes from your mind.

I think I'm done here

7 Likes

Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by Omudia11: 8:27pm On Jan 10, 2017
Olodo... God asked them to "MARRY" a virgin each. And he specifically said that the men who should marry them must be unmarried men and they must treat them as a wives, not as slaves.
dalaman:

Rape was so good to your God that he watched as his chosen men happily shared virgins as war booty. He even asked rapist to marry their victims.

The bible is filled with genocide and murder as commanded by your God yet you are still talking about murder as a bad thing?
Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by dalaman: 8:28pm On Jan 10, 2017
DoctorAlien:

That women should desist from driving is not a moral absolute.

Don't prove to us that you're not intelligent.

Humans can create moral.absolute laws. A few men ended slavery and criminalized slavery. Same with genocide. A few men criminalized it.
Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by dalaman: 8:29pm On Jan 10, 2017
Omudia11:
Olodo... God asked them to "MARRY" a virgin each. And he specifically said that the men who should marry them must be unmarried men and they must treat them as a wives, not as slaves.

So if a person enters your house, kills your parents, siblings and takes you as his wife, he has done a good thing abi? You see why we atheist have no respect for some of you?

3 Likes

Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by DoctorAlien(m): 8:31pm On Jan 10, 2017
dalaman:

Humans can create moral.absolute laws. A few men ended slavery and criminalized slavery. Same with genocide. A few men criminalized it.

I seriously don't want to believe that you're dull. Do you even know what a moral absolute is? That something is enforced by a group of humans does not mean it is a moral absolute.

Please, make meaningful contributions, not ignorant comments. Go and first check the meaning of moral absolute, then come back.
Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by jericco1(m): 8:32pm On Jan 10, 2017
I'm learning

1 Like

Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by dalaman: 8:32pm On Jan 10, 2017
DoctorAlien:

I seriously don't want to believe that you're dull. Do you even know what a moral absolute is? That something is enforced by a group of humans does not mean it is a moral absolute.

Please, make meaningful contributions, not ignorant comments. Go and first check the meaning of moral absolute, then come back.

There are no moral absolutes.
Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by DoctorAlien(m): 8:34pm On Jan 10, 2017
dalaman:

There are no moral absolutes.
So rape is not really bad?
Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by dalaman: 8:38pm On Jan 10, 2017
DoctorAlien:

So rape is not really bad?

The bible doesn't see rape as a bad thing. If you rape a lady you will be rewarded with her as your wife.
Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by DoctorAlien(m): 8:39pm On Jan 10, 2017
dalaman:

The bible doesn't see rape as a bad thing. If you rape a lady you will be rewarded with her as your wife.

See human being abeg grin grin Who dey talk about Bible here?
Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by dalaman: 8:44pm On Jan 10, 2017
DoctorAlien:

See human being abeg grin grin Who dey talk about Bible here?

Just cutting the chase. Your position is that morality is from the God of the bible and am trying to show you that he doesn't consider rape as a bad thing since he rewards rapist with their victims as wives.

2 Likes

Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by DoctorAlien(m): 8:45pm On Jan 10, 2017
dalaman:

Just cutting the chase. Your position is that morality is from the God of the bible and am trying to show you that he doesn't consider rape as a bad thing since he rewards rapist with their victims as wives.

Please swerve. Employing red herring in arguments is not considered intellectual.

Bye.
Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by peacesamuel94(m): 8:46pm On Jan 10, 2017
ValentineMary:

Jesus!!! Did u even read what I wrote? I said we choose our purpose. They are not integrated into us.
God gave man freewill yet he has a purpose for us You still don't see the inconsistencies right?

What gave us the inclination to seek or choose our purpose, how did a purposeless and meaningless universe give rise to beings that seeks their purpose, even when the universe that predated them has no Meaning or reason for its existence.

How did purpose or the thought of purpose come about.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by dalaman: 8:46pm On Jan 10, 2017
DoctorAlien:

Please swerve. Employing red herring in arguments is not considered intellectual.

Bye.

Run along Mr intellectual.

1 Like

Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:48pm On Jan 10, 2017
DoctorAlien , good job . So many inconsistencies in their beliefs as atheists .

Please another question I want atheists to answer is : if it is possible for the universe not to exist , then why does it exist?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by felixomor: 8:51pm On Jan 10, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

see? now you're asking good question, what are the reasons?

this is why morality as a whole is never absolute, there is always context

let's look at Denmark, why aren't they forcing women into abortion but China does?

overpopulation is the reason, the population is getting too out of hand that the government sees disaster coming unless they stem it

how did they do this? they passed a law on the highest number of children a couple can have and if you happen to get pregnant when past that, you would be forced to abort

that context now makes sense

so your question, is it wrong for the "Chinese" to perform forced abortions? looking at the reasons YES

but that doesn't mean I'll say yes if Denmark starts doing the same thing, Comprende?

What benefits one person may be detrimental to another person. We can always think of exceptions to any rule. It may be wrong to kill someone but it may be necessary to kill in some circumstances because it is the lesser of the evils. Is it wrong to steal? What if you steal from someone who wastes food while your child is starving? If morality was objective, it would mean killing is either wrong or not wrong, stealing is either wrong or not wrong, regardless of the situation.

All definitions are subjective. Definitions are useful as long as there's good agreement on them and they suit the purpose they were defined for. your question suits, but is incomplete in that it doesn't iterate out all harms, or all sufficient reasons.

If you're wanting a very concise definition of "immoral" you're not going to find one which is useful or ultimately meaningful. Similarly, if you want a useful definition that actually works to reduce harm, then it's a very long and complex definition.

But just because morality is a hard subject, and the definition long and nuanced, doesn't make it necessarily subjective. We all feel pain in similar ways, we all have similar needs of food, shelter and company.

But you defining morality as coming from god is entirely subjective as that definition comes from your mind.

I think I'm done here

Morality is absolute.
There is nothing like subjective morality.
Thats why u couldnt answer the question of DoctorAlien because if i form a country with like people like me and decide to sacrifice children to gods for the prosperity of the nation, it will never be right.
Likewise, Rape will never be right.

If its not absolute, forget it.
Even criminals have a context for everything they do that is correct inside their mind.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by DoctorAlien(m): 8:51pm On Jan 10, 2017
This is the fourth page already and no "atheist" has been able to tell us why something like rape is bad, or why laws of logic exist, and are abstract and absolute. sad

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by Strawman: 11:20pm On Jan 10, 2017
DoctorAlien:
Now, some atheists might respond, “That’s right! Morality is subjective. We each have the right to create our own moral code. And therefore, you cannot impose your personal morality on other people!” But of course, this statement is self-refuting, because when they say, “you cannot impose your personal morality on other people” they are imposing their personal moral code on other people. When push comes to shove, no one really believes that morality is merely a subjective, personal choice.

Excuse me, I was just scrolling through posts shared with me and then I saw this part @bolded. You, sir, are intelligent.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by benzics(m): 8:11am On Jan 11, 2017
DoctorAlien:
This is the fourth page already and no "atheist" has been able to tell us why something like rape is bad, or why laws of logic exist, and are abstract and absolute. sad
Wrong as you say is a matter of opinion, smoking might be wrong to some and to some it's totally okay..

A lion killing a zebra for food is wrong because it causes harm to the coexistence of those zebras, yes to the zebras it is wrong, but a lion has got to survive...

What we all agree to as "wrong" are things that affect the people around you, the law might view suicide as bad, but to the person committing it, it's his life, as far as he ain't killing someone, he's free to do whatever he likes to himself..

Anything that will not promote peaceful coexistence is wrong! Because a particular party would be feeling the effects, this party didn't choose what's happening to him/her so it's wrong..

But apart from that, every other thing you do that do not affect others, you are totally free, you can have sex with animals (as far as you ain't forcing them), sleep with your siblings (as far as they agree), sleep with your mum/dad(as far as they are totally in agreement), smoke, drink, dress anyhow, as far as these things are not causing harm to anybody, they are not wrong, and someone's opinion of these being wrong will not make them really wrong..

How's rape? rape affects people(victims) .. it's wrong!

If you think a god made you see things as wrong and as good, then you ain't ok.. Even before religion and gods were created, humans had do's and don'ts, so don't tell us shit about a god creating morals cuz we ourselves created that god,and even wrote his supposed laws..

Someone telling you to not impose your views on him, is imposing nothing on you, he's not going to threaten to kill you or threaten you with eternal torment, he's just asking you to "mind yourself", even though to some level, it'll seem as if he's giving you his own moral code, but you started it, and he's just telling you to keep them to yourself..

2 Likes

Re: Exposing The Inconsistencies In Atheism by randomperson: 8:42am On Jan 11, 2017
felixomor:

Morality is absolute.
There is nothing like subjective morality.
Thats why u couldnt answer the question of DoctorAlien because if i form a country with like people like me and decide to sacrifice children to gods for the prosperity of the nation, it will never be right.
Likewise, Rape will never be right.

If its not absolute, forget it.
Even criminals have a context for everything they do that is correct inside their mind.
If morality was absolute, there would be no controversy as to right or wrong. Morality goes beyond murder and rape, it includes things like pre-marital sex, drinking of alcohol, wearing of mini skirts, smoking... The controversy as regards morality far outweighs the consensus about morality.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

When A Sin Becomes "Normal" In Your Life. / If Gays Are Born Gay, Are Kleptomaniacs Born Kleptomaniac? / Is It Right To Play Secular Songs During Christian Weddings?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.