Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,716 members, 7,805,947 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:57 AM

Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? (12268 Views)

SURVIVORS (a Novel) / 9 Memorable And Inspiring Quotes From Buchi Emecheta / Nigerian Author Highlights Gay Characters In New Novel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by Nobody: 11:06am On Jan 11, 2017
Idemudia (Violence by Festus Iyayi) Aisha or Amina (419 by Will Ferguson) Okonkwo (Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe) Bastard (We Need New Names by NoViolet Bulawiyo) Severus Snape (Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling) Frodo Baggins (The Lord of The Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien) and lastly Agu (Beasts of No Nation by Okonjo Iweala's son)
Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by bolakale30(m): 11:06am On Jan 11, 2017
maggilove:
I'm an ex-akokite too but akokite na akokite forever. 2011/2012 set which set are u?
Senior Margaret. 13/14 set
Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by odysey: 11:09am On Jan 11, 2017
from The Kingkilker series ... Kvote, Denna, Felurian, Auri, Master Elodin, Master Linguist, Kvotes Friends and least of them all 'Jackass Jackass

from A song of Fire and Ice, Tyrion, The Cheese monger,Aria , Kingslayer, Lord Eunuch ( Varys), little finger Syrio forrel and least Cerci.

from Storm light Chronicles.... Princess Jasnah , The King , Bridge 13,

From the Powder Mage Series, Ka-poel, Tamas, Privilege Bobador, Adamat, Nila and least Julene
Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by thinkative: 11:43am On Jan 11, 2017
I've always loved kainene and ifemelu in adichie's books. powerful in their own little world

John Corey in nelson de mille's books. very funny character. laughter guaranteed.

Alex cross too in james patterson's novels. very cerebral.

And I absolutely loved all the characters in Femi Oguntuase's scoundrels in uniform. one of the first novels I ever read. clear and vivid characters
Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by olashas(f): 11:51am On Jan 11, 2017
Robert Bellamy in Doomsday Conspiracy by Sidney Sheldon

Tracy Whitney in If tomorrow Comes by Sidney Sheldon

Hel Nicholai in Shibumi by Trevanian

Gray Grantham in The Pelican Brief by John Grisham.

Mackenzie Hawkins a.k.a Madman Mac the Hawk a.k.a Chief Thunderhead in The Road to Omaha and The Road to Gandolfo by Robert Ludlum. Every book lover should read this book. It's crazy grin

2 Likes

Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jan 11, 2017
cooljoe:
na d same boat carry us. wat of jagua nana, dat 1 dey available?
I haven't read that one, I'll add it to my search
Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by trublvr(f): 12:44pm On Jan 11, 2017
Susannah Dean (The Dark Tower books)

Jo March (The Little Women)

Arya Stark (A Song of Ice and Fire books)

Brienne of Tarth (A Song of Ice and Fire books)

Judith (Imajica)

Tom Cullen (The Stand)

Danny Torrance (Doctor Sleep)

Ralph Roberts (Insomnia)
Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by Malefactor(m): 1:08pm On Jan 11, 2017
1. Harry Potter from Harry Potter.

2. Peter Pettigrew from Harry Potter.

3. Snape from Harry Potter.

4. Kainene from Half of a yellow sun.

5. Sherlock Holmes from all the Sherlock Holmes stories.

6. Artemis Fowl from the Artemis fowl series.

7. Butler from the Artemis Fowl series.

8. Nwoye, son of Okonkwo, things fall apart.

9. And finally, the best of all... Percy Jackson from the Percy Jackson series. P's. we even share birthdays. lol.
Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by daveP(m): 1:15pm On Jan 11, 2017
Robin Hood( Robin Hood)

Man Friday( Robinson Crusoe) for

"Master master, o sorrow, o bad, ship ship"

Jean Perssertout(Around the world in eighty days).

Okonkwo(Things fall Apart)

Ure Chokwe(Without a silver spoon)

Wilson Tagbo(Willie in Trouble)

Boy Shettima( The boy slave)

Bose (As you lay your bed)

Tyron Lannister.

Ricardo Braithwaite(To sir with love)

Bade ( Bade and the oracles)

Aduke (The drummer boy)

Toby( Twelfth Night)

Great Heart&Mr Valiant for truth(Pilgrim's Progress)

Gulliver(Gulliver's travels)

Jim Hawkins (Treasure Island) for his bravery despite being new to sea

The Alm Uncle(Heidi)

1 Like

Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by MosD: 2:39pm On Jan 11, 2017
Detective Tom Lepski - James Hardley Chase

Cane and Abel- Cane and Abel by Jeffery Archer

Michael - The godfather by Mario puzo
Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by MidasTouche01(m): 5:22pm On Jan 11, 2017
Pato23:

Once you start reading his books,you wont stop until you finish the whole series..
Finest author..

I couldn't agree less...

1 Like

Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by maggilove(f): 6:04pm On Jan 11, 2017
bolakale30:

Senior Margaret. 13/14 set
was that catholic sister in ur class?
Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by ogyunging(m): 7:06pm On Jan 11, 2017
My favourite is Azriel In Servant Of The Bones by Ann Rice
Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by scholarBaba: 8:07pm On Jan 11, 2017
Waow...This thread is really bringing back memories...if not for the busy work schedule, i just feel like going to an isolated island with all this wonderful books and reading for days nonstop!!!
Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by Richiy(f): 9:36pm On Jan 11, 2017
RaggedyAnn:

Awww, see? Please revive it. Stick with it and it may one day be as popular as Goodreads.

Hahahhahahhahahah. Goodreads Maybe the Nigerian version.
Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by mytym(m): 10:14pm On Jan 11, 2017
1. Baroka in The Lion and the Jewel. by Wole Soyinka

2. Old Major in Animal Farm by George Orwell

3. Susan Fletcher in Digital Fortress by Dan Brown

4. Ms Kinsey Millhone in Kinsey Millhone Mysteries by Sue Grafton especially "O" is for Outlaw.

5. Winston in 1984 by George Orwell

6. The list will not be complete without mentioning the character referred to as "The Man" in The Beautyful Ones Are Not Yet Born by Ayi Kwei Armah

favourite for the yabbing part "...bloody, f*-king, Son of a b*tch. Article of no commercial value. Do you think the bus belong to your father?..."
Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jan 11, 2017
Levin (Anna Karenina)
Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jan 11, 2017
Finally; someone who appreciates mordern fantasy! Was wondering why no one mentioned this books.
odysey:
from The Kingkilker series ... Kvote, Denna, Felurian, Auri, Master Elodin, Master Linguist, Kvotes Friends and least of them all 'Jackass Jackass
Ahh, our dear Baron....grin grin.
Can someone tell me why the third installment "Doors of Stone" has not being released

from A song of Fire and Ice, Tyrion, The Cheese monger,Aria , Kingslayer, Lord Eunuch ( Varys), little finger Syrio forrel and least Cerci.

Hey, how about the "noble" Ned and his not-so-intelligent wife

I'm not even going to ask for when "Winds of Winter" is coming out. The wait don tire me cry

from Storm light Chronicles.... Princess Jasnah , The King , Bridge 13,

Honestly; dude, you really sabi fantasy man. How about Kaladin's dad and Wit Those guys really stuck to me

From the Powder Mage Series, Ka-poel, Tamas, Privilege Bobador, Adamat, Nila and least Julene
Not yet read these but I'm definitely going to search for it

grin

1 Like

Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by Nobody: 11:44pm On Jan 11, 2017
Mehn, they are wayy too many for me to pen down.
So I'll just put down 5 "positive" Characters and 5 "negatives" as I remember it.

POSITIVE CHARACTERS

1) Saand dan Glokta; Logen Ninefingers (The First Law trilogy) : cyncism and brutality merged into one. I f*cking love em both

2) Kvothe, Son of Arliden (Kingkiller Chronicles) : His love for science and hatred for poets still resonantes in my mind

3) Andrew "Ender" Wiggins : This goes out to all intelligent kids who are bullied at school, controlled by the government and damaged by hyperactive conscience. Honestly; any sort of nerd would feel the book.

4) The protagonist's father ( To kill a mockingbird) : I can't remember his name. Been about 10 years since I've read the book now. Jeb? Charles? Damn. Anyways, his bravery and eloquence inspired me......and still does

5) Osano; Merlyn (Fools die by Mario Puzo) : If Osano were to exist in reality; he would have been shot and killed manytimes over by feminists grin grin. Merlyn, however, believes he would escape any trap, any con. I believe so too; sha...

"I am the X in an indeterminate location"

Man; there are a LOT more but lemme supress it.

NEGATIVE CHARACTERS

1) Caetyln Stark; : words cannot describe my distaste for this woman. Rationally speaking; my hate is not justified. She was simply a dumb woman caught in the cross-hairs of war and political muddiness while aching emotionally over her boy. Sure her actions were foolish, sure she started the war, but she didn't MEAN to, did she

Don't matter still, hate her angry.

2) Jezal dan Luther (First Law trilogy) : This character represents to me the lazy undeserving bastards who, by fate, destiny, or dumb luck, hold a post of original power and have the gall to think they did it on their own. I don't hate his character actually. I hate the fact that the same sort of sh.it that happened in the book happens to our nation : where the clueless and incompetent run the helm and are convinced they are doing good. Chai, back to topic.

3) Peter the bread boy (Hunger games) : I forgott his surname, eff it cheesy.
He played the damsel in distress to many times for my, ah, shall we say, masculine tastes.

4) The woman who took over Hogwarts in book 5 : Damn! Forgot the name.....again. Patty?? No! Described her as a giant fly.............
Man! I hate this feeling!! embarassed cry

5) Bella Swan (Twilight) :
Words cannot do justice to how shabby, shallow, and pathetic the character was.
Anytime a girl tells me she "liked" twilight; I unconsciously begin to swerve from her... It's snobby; i know. Still......

Oh, and the correct answer to everything on this thread is..........

42 cheesy
Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by uncleabbey(m): 2:25am On Jan 12, 2017
SirWere:
Mehn, they are wayy too many for me to pen down.
So I'll just put down 5 "positive" Characters and 5 "negatives" as I remember it.

POSITIVE CHARACTERS

1) Saand dan Glokta; Logen Ninefingers (The First Law trilogy) : cyncism and brutality merged into one. I f*cking love em both

2) Kvothe, Son of Arliden (Kingkiller Chronicles) : His love for science and hatred for poets still resonantes in my mind

3) Andrew "Ender" Wiggins : This goes out to all intelligent kids who are bullied at school, controlled by the government and damaged by hyperactive conscience. Honestly; any sort of nerd would feel the book.

4) The protagonist's father ( To kill a mockingbird) : I can't remember his name. Been about 10 years since I've read the book now. Jeb? Charles? Damn. Anyways, his bravery and eloquence inspired me......and still does

5) Osano; Merlyn (Fools die by Mario Puzo) : If Osano were to exist in reality; he would have been shot and killed manytimes over by feminists grin grin. Merlyn, however, believes he would escape any trap, any con. I believe so too; sha...

"I am the X in an indeterminate location"

Man; there are a LOT more but lemme supress it.

NEGATIVE CHARACTERS

1) Caetyln Stark; : words cannot describe my distaste for this woman. Rationally speaking; my hate is not justified. She was simply a dumb woman caught in the cross-hairs of war and political muddiness while aching emotionally over her boy. Sure her actions were foolish, sure she started the war, but she didn't MEAN to, did she

Don't matter still, hate her angry.

2) Jezal dan Luther (First Law trilogy) : This character represents to me the lazy undeserving bastards who, by fate, destiny, or dumb luck, hold a post of original power and have the gall to think they did it on their own. I don't hate his character actually. I hate the fact that the same sort of sh.it that happened in the book happens to our nation : where the clueless and incompetent run the helm and are convinced they are doing good. Chai, back to topic.

3) Peter the bread boy (Hunger games) : I forgott his surname, eff it cheesy.
He played the damsel in distress to many times for my, ah, shall we say, masculine tastes.

4) The woman who took over Hogwarts in book 5 : Damn! Forgot the name.....again. Patty?? No! Described her as a giant fly.............
Man! I hate this feeling!! embarassed cry

5) Bella Swan (Twilight) :
Words cannot do justice to how shabby, shallow, and pathetic the character was.
Anytime a girl tells me she "liked" twilight; I unconsciously begin to swerve from her... It's snobby; i know. Still......

Oh, and the correct answer to everything on this thread is..........

42 cheesy

Oga Wetin happen? You follow me read all those books?
I so much like sand gloaka, the dude thought is always hilarious. But you failed to mention logen ninefingers and ferro.
Osano is a baddass too. Not everybody can stand in front of a room full of ladies and calls them a cunt.
I like the way he died. One last epic fvck.Lols and the way he tricked merlin and the publishers

Kvotte is one of my favorite character. The guy is hilarious and he doesn't allow anything or anyone to stop him. Hopefully, the 3rd book will be released this year
Ender in Enders game is also adorable. I love his tenacity and ability not to turn totally bad like his brother
Bro have you read Codex Alera, sword of truth and the wheels of time series
Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by Nobody: 9:41am On Jan 12, 2017
Mustiboy:

Richard Wright - black boy

I read this book four times
Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by Nobody: 10:59am On Jan 12, 2017
uncleabbey:

Oga Wetin happen? You follow me read all those books?
I so much like sand gloaka, the dude thought is always hilarious. But you failed to mention logen ninefingers and ferro.
Osano is a baddass too. Not everybody can stand in front of a room full of ladies and calls them a cunt.
I like the way he died. One last epic fvck.Lols and the way he tricked merlin and the publishers

Kvotte is one of my favorite character. The guy is hilarious and he doesn't allow anything or anyone to stop him. Hopefully, the 3rd book will be released this year
Ender in Enders game is also adorable. I love his tenacity and ability not to turn totally bad like his brother
haha cheers bro. It's hard to find those who appreciate and have read and appreciate Fantasy.

Say one thing for Logen Ninefingers, say he is a Fucking Warrior.

Actually, I don't like the way Sanderson ended the book. No, I didn't want him to finish the series. I want Logen to survive, gaddemit!!angry cry
And Ferro, eh, maybe she'll find true love inside of destroying the Worldcheesy cheesy.

I think the reason why I like the book was the way it distorted normal character stereotypes.
Usually; there is a bad guy; ready to take over the world. Then there is a band of ill-fitted, mismatched heroes who save the day through Honorable means right
F**king wrong!

Bayus is a "good" Lord Voldermort. Jezal is a Malfroy who is as important as Harry. Logen Ninefingers is a Sirius who actually killed people as claimed. Ferro is Bellatrix Lestrange on the good side. Ardee is a slutty Hermonie Granger. Glokta is a crippled Albus Dumbledore with a homicidal twist and so on.......

And somehow they save the world cheesy

Ahh Osano. A bundle of contradictions. He would say something like
"Cunt is where it all begins and end. Without Cunt, life would be unbearable"
and yet would advise Merlin to "stay away from those dumb fucking cunts".
I think it was poetic Justice that made him die of an STD cheesy

Ahh Kvothe the Arcane, the Bloodless. I'm still scratching my head as to the truly dreadful things he did that makes him beat himself up. What exactly was it that was so dreadful he decided to stopped singing and let his Alar die away...
I hope he release the third sequel this year.

And as for Ender, I'm actually still wondering : If Bean and Ender fought; who would win

Bro have you read Codex Alera, sword of truth and the wheels of time series
Read sword of truth and watched the movie sef cheesy. It's alright; but not a masterpiece in my eyes sha.

I have tried for three times to start reading the wheel of time series now but somehow I just never actually finish reading the book or get anywhere. I only started reading it because I heard Sanderson took over from the author and I fecking love anything from sanderson cheesy. But honestly; the first book is drab! sad.But I will peserve; eventually shaa.
I've not read Codex Alera. Sounds like it'll be intresting. Thanks for giving me a hint.

Have you read Malazan : Book of the fallen series and/or Starship Troopers??
Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by odysey: 11:51am On Jan 12, 2017
SirWere:
Finally; someone who appreciates mordern fantasy! Was wondering why no one mentioned this books.

Ahh, our dear Baron....grin grin.
Can someone tell me why the third installment "Doors of Stone" has not being released
grin

thought I was the only one wondering same

Hey, how about the "noble" Ned and his not-so-intelligent wifegrin
lol Been noble seems not to pay lol his wife well hmmm

I'm not even going to ask for when "Winds of Winter" is coming out. The wait don tire me cry

grin
Honestly; dude, you really sabi fantasy man. How about Kaladin's dad and Wit Those guys really stuck to me

Not yet read these but I'm definitely going to search for

there's one more Its just crazy, the name skipped me, when I remember I'll put it here
grin[/quote]
Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by odysey: 12:06pm On Jan 12, 2017
winkfrom the broken Empire Trilogy Making, Father Gomst, Princess Katherine, my least character is The Pagan winkfrom the broken Empire Trilogy Making, Father Gomst, Princess Katherine, my least character is The Pagan

In Gardens of the moon they're so many that I'll name just a few Kruppe, Crokus, Whiskey Jack and least The Empress
Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by odysey: 12:13pm On Jan 12, 2017
SirWere:

ow about Kaladin's dad and Wit grin
I had forgotten about wit, you know there were folks he didn't make fun of
Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jan 12, 2017
odysey:

I had forgotten about wit, you know there were folks he didn't make fun of
Really?? Who didn't he make fun of
Sadeas, Dalinar, Elhokar,....even Kaladin cheesy

Side note : Do you see Kaladin and Shallan "hooking up" as the book progresses leaving Adolin in a cuckold

Malazan....another classic!
Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by PeaceGord: 12:27pm On Jan 12, 2017
RaggedyAnn:

The Sorrows of Satan by Marie Corelli. Loved that book, very insightful. But Geoffrey was weak, he gave up his writing for the riches and fame the devil promised (a Faustian Bargain). And although everything works out for him in the end, I liked the the other writer - what was her name? Mavis Claire.

Good choice.
Thanks.

Rarely do you find people on this forum who usage read that book or books in that class.

I therefore respect your intellect.
Regards.

1 Like

Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by Mustiboy(m): 1:40pm On Jan 12, 2017
Niyuu:

I read this book four times
that's great! Read it just twice though
Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by uncleabbey(m): 4:35pm On Jan 12, 2017
SirWere:

haha cheers bro. It's hard to find those who appreciate and have read and appreciate Fantasy.

Say one thing for Logen Ninefingers, say he is a Fucking Warrior.

Actually, I don't like the way Sanderson ended the book. No, I didn't want him to finish the series. I want Logen to survive, gaddemit!!angry cry
And Ferro, eh, maybe she'll find true love inside of destroying the Worldcheesy cheesy.

I think the reason why I like the book was the way it distorted normal character stereotypes.
Usually; there is a bad guy; ready to take over the world. Then there is a band of ill-fitted, mismatched heroes who save the day through Honorable means right
F**king wrong!

Bayus is a "good" Lord Voldermort. Jezal is a Malfroy who is as important as Harry. Logen Ninefingers is a Sirius who actually killed people as claimed. Ferro is Bellatrix Lestrange on the good side. Ardee is a slutty Hermonie Granger. Glokta is a crippled Albus Dumbledore with a homicidal twist and so on.......

And somehow they save the world cheesy

Ahh Osano. A bundle of contradictions. He would say something like
"Cunt is where it all begins and end. Without Cunt, life would be unbearable"
and yet would advise Merlin to "stay away from those dumb fucking cunts".
I think it was poetic Justice that made him die of an STD cheesy

Ahh Kvothe the Arcane, the Bloodless. I'm still scratching my head as to the truly dreadful things he did that makes him beat himself up. What exactly was it that was so dreadful he decided to stopped singing and let his Alar die away...
I hope he release the third sequel this year.

And as for Ender, I'm actually still wondering : If Bean and Ender fought; who would win

Read sword of truth and watched the movie sef cheesy. It's alright; but not a masterpiece in my eyes sha.

I have tried for three times to start reading the wheel of time series now but somehow I just never actually finish reading the book or get anywhere. I only started reading it because I heard Sanderson took over from the author and I fecking love anything from sanderson cheesy. But honestly; the first book is drab! sad.But I will peserve; eventually shaa.
I've not read Codex Alera. Sounds like it'll be intresting. Thanks for giving me a hint.

Have you read Malazan : Book of the fallen series and/or Starship Troopers??
I'm on the part 2 of the Malazan Empire series, it's kinda boring jare.
Will check out starship troopers though
Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by uncleabbey(m): 4:47pm On Jan 12, 2017
Moni mabou from the adventures of Moni mabou,

Fantoma from the African child, the dream of Africa by Camara laye

Akara oogun from ogboju ode ninu igbo irumole

Don corleone from the God fathers

Zeddicus, Richard Cypher and kahlan Amnell from the sword of truth series

Rand'al Thor, Matt and Perrin from the wheel of time series

Tavi Octavia, fidellia Marcus and Max antillar from the codex alera

Robert lagdon from the Dan Brown books.

These are the ones that I can remember for now
Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by CLASSMAN: 6:54pm On Jan 12, 2017
MosD:
Detective Tom Lepski - James Hardley Chase

Cane and Abel- Cane and Abel by Jeffery Archer

Michael - The godfather by Mario puzo
give small respect here mr man e mo eady to get first grade
ddetectivefdddetectivefirst grade tom lrpski
Re: Who Are Your Most Memorable Novel Characters? by odysey: 7:27pm On Jan 12, 2017
SirWere:

didn't he make fun of
Sadeas, Dalinar, Elhokar,....even Kaladin cheesy

I believe you are correct

cheesy
you see Kaladin and Shallan "hooking up"

the possibility is high

leaving Adolin in a cuckold

??
Malazan....another classic! don't remember him!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kasala Vegence / Seductive Amina / The Positive Impact Of Social Media On The Christian Youth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.