Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,164 members, 7,780,171 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:28 AM

Facts About Flights - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Facts About Flights (601 Views)

Domestic Flights Resume With 4 Airlines, Strict Protocols, Scanty Passengers / Facts About The New BRT Buses In Lagos - Photos / Vice President's Helicopter Crash:Facts About The AgustaWestland 139 Helicopter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facts About Flights by blackbriar: 6:21pm On Jan 10, 2017
Here are some of my favorite little known airline facts .

Did you know that flight times are adjusted so that the airlines could have better on-time record? If the flight only takes 1 hour, they will schedule it to fly 15 minutes more, so that even if late, it will still be officially on-time.

If you ever see wing flaps (these things that are used to slow the plane down while landing) in upward position, it may be because the plane crew are trying to alert the airport of a hijacking. The authorities on land can then react accordingly.

Airbus A320 is known to have routine cockpit power outages. The scary truth is not all of them have been fixed!

Oxygen Masks are made to last for about 15 minutes. One shouldn’t wait too long, as changing the altitude would make you pass out within 15-20 seconds.

For your information, there is no safest place to sit on the plane – seats next to the wing are usually less bumpy though. If the plane crashes, it really depends on the circumstances who survives and who doesn’t.

Airplanes have horns. Pilots use them to notify a ground crew in noisy environment.

Airplanes take off and land AGAINST the wind direction. That’s surprising for most of us, as it seems logical to use the wind, not fight against it. However, flying opposite to winds ensures maximum lift on the wings thus allowing the aircraft to move quicker in air than its ground speed and take off!

culled from quora

3 Likes

Re: Facts About Flights by symbianDON(m): 9:46pm On Jan 10, 2017
very interesting facts! I love airplanes so much.
Re: Facts About Flights by Thecassanova: 11:22pm On Jan 10, 2017
Nice, in addition

Business class and First class doesn't guarantee safety during airplane crashes. It just for conveniency. Cos I was tring to explain this to my lil cousin when he asked does it mean when crash happens those in First class would be saved.

He couldn't understand why there are varying prices for different segments in planes till I broke it down for him.

1 Like

Re: Facts About Flights by blackbriar: 1:34pm On Jan 11, 2017

(1) (Reply)

Usa Student Eac/opt/cpt Thread / Goodafternoon Nl I Need Description To Reach Katangua Market I Am In Fadeyi / Period Of Getting Dubai Vias

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.