Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,948 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:50 AM

Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! - Webmasters (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! (11922 Views)

25 Quotes From Blogging Experts At West Africa Bloggers Conference / Nigeria's First Email Service Naij.com / Weather Nigeria: First Local Weather App (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by bandely(m): 7:41pm On Jan 09, 2010
Afam:

Good to hear that but I still believe that posting live updates on the website will be more engaging, increase the level of interest and drive traffic to the website instead of using a totally different channel to discuss this.

Also consider those that do not like providing their personal information just to register on sites like twitter or facebook.
You are very correct, though the Facebook thing will also create awareness for the Conference!
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by mikkyphp(m): 11:23pm On Jan 09, 2010
I hope afam realises that it's not enough to just know and say what everyone else should be doing. these things take time and it's especially hard to develop content when this idea of a web conference is still without a blueprint. it would be better if u volunteered to help add content to the website instead of yapping about what othere should and should't have done!
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by naijaweb(m): 12:23am On Jan 10, 2010
Afam, as always your comment is on point. All channels the website, facebook, twitter and nairaland will be employed in discussions and updates. The good thing bout sites like fb and twitter is that we can create a lot of awareness thru this sites and links from this site to ours will help in page ranking. Thanks.

As per virtual, you're encouraged to try that. How many conferences that are virtual do you know?

Bandely, u took d words out of my mouth.

Mikkyphp, he's not yapping bt giving constructive criticism. Please see the fb group for a blueprint. And no ad hominem attacks pls. We encourage all views, good or bad, the important thing is that there are views been shared. I appreciate ur view too. If we didn't have criticism like afam's, trust me, we wouldn't have a website by now.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by mikkyphp(m): 11:27am On Jan 10, 2010
I never intended any of such. i praise the initators of this great conference and more greese to your elbows. Afam, don't be angree. i'd love to help in any capacity.
ciao
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by mikkyphp(m): 11:28am On Jan 10, 2010
pardon my spelling errors, cool
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by naijaweb(m): 4:08pm On Jan 10, 2010
Spelling error pardoned!lol.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by Afam(m): 8:29am On Jan 11, 2010
mikkyphp:

I hope afam realises that it's not enough to just know and say what everyone else should be doing. these things take time and it's especially hard to develop content when this idea of a web conference is still without a blueprint. it would be better if u volunteered to help add content to the website instead of yapping about what othere should and should't have done!

I will advice you go through your posts before hitting the Send button. I have never insulted anyone on this forum but usually respond in kind when insulted.

Your apology below may be an afterthought but my advice is this - make your points without insults as I really do not believe in apologies because every single adult knows what is right or wrong.

mikkyphp:

I never intended any of such. i praise the initators of this great conference and more greese to your elbows. Afam, don't be angree. i'd love to help in any capacity.
ciao

So, to show that I am not angry I will allow the unwarranted insult go, just this once.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by badesemowo(m): 9:48am On Jan 12, 2010
My apologies for not being around to follow up on Nigeria Web Conference . I'm glad the name I suggested was finally chosen ( I hope that gets mea free pass? )

Anyhow , I have tried to followthe thread. I will proceed to make some comments.

Website

Quadrillo , Let me first appreciate your work so far on the site.
I hope my comments as I proceed to list below does not detract from the fact that you have atleast taken initiative to produce a site where we all have failed.

1. I might be wrong but it seems the site is not running on any form of CMS ? This would be a foundational mistake. I suggest you build from any of the open source options (it does not have to be joomla) , that way others may be able to work on it too.

2. You could focus on the layout and design for now and give some other people (I suggest Yawa & DHTML ) editorial access so they can work on the content.

3. I don't particularly like the look and feel. I know it is still a work in progress , (and I hate people criticising my work before its done too). Anyway maybe you could create placeholders too and some people can volunteer graphics.
For example, I think a nice glossy web2.0 bg image would be nice. Can anyone cook up something ?

IN all , I would say nice work Wuad, keep it up.

Organising Company.

Yes, it is fine to use the company name for marketting and advertising purposes. The event has to be owned (managed) by some sort of organisation anyway . PS: That makes you Project Manager .

Facebook

1. I would have prefered we work with facebook page and not group .
why ?
a.Groups have a limit of 5000 people (for sending messages e.t.c)
b.with pages you can get a short URL i.e www.facebook.com/nigeriawebconference after 25 fans.
c.Posts on pages appear more on users walls and feeds.

I guest that is too late now .

2. Also, I suggest that we don't start promoting this event fully until some key decisions have been made by the working committee (led by our new project manager) and we have a fully functioning website.

Financial
I notice there is still no talk of a budget and money issues. This can potentially cripple the event oh .
Case in point ? Who is going to pay for the venue ? Halls in Lagos start from 50K (for a really small one ) to 1milion for expo hall (minus food and you can't bring in food) to over 3m for some other venues .
Translation ! Is this a free event ? If is , who is footing the bill ? If not, how will project lead raise seed capital to atleast run some things before people start paying.

Flame Wars ?
Abeg oh, people, softly softly oh. I am sure we all understand that not all our suggestions on this project would taken, especially those of us that are playing backbench roles. Lets give project lead all the support they need. Lets keep all criticism constructive. Lets keep suggestions coming and lets do a local organising meeting soon.

I 'm sorry I just appear and disappear from this thread arbritrarily. Like the rest of us, there are just too many things to do.

Let me quickly add that now I see a potential usefulness of Google Wave. It would have been easy for all of us to cancel , update, add suggestions to one wave .
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by Seun(m): 1:42am On Jan 14, 2010
This is an exciting development. Kudos!
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by naijaweb(m): 2:37pm On Jan 14, 2010
Seun, thanks. Been trying to contact you since. Can this thread be put on the home page? Nairaland has been a great platform for web users over the years, and this project is using Nairaland as a platform. We need all the support you can give. Thanks.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by kokorunna(m): 4:05pm On Jan 14, 2010
Great work instead of looking for a hall to hire, why can't it be done on internet
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by yawatide(f): 6:50pm On Jan 14, 2010
IMHO, human contact and interaction is still golden and as such, at least for the first meeting, I say it be done in person. After we get our feet wet and are used to how we do things, we could then consider online meetings.

My opinion
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by badesemowo(m): 3:07pm On Jan 15, 2010
People , Lets focus on the issue of the conference . Pleaaaaaaassssssseeeeeeeeeee .

As for our website showing as rogue on virginmobile , It could be associated with a lot of things, (including IP address of the hosting server being blacklisted by the ISP). If it is a blacklist issue, other ISPs would probably soon follow suit. Whatever the issue is, it needs to be fixed by either 1. Hosting provider or 2. the web developer. We cannot afford to ignore.

And now back to the idea of the conference. Has our honourable PM accepted ?
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by yawatide(f): 7:09pm On Jan 15, 2010
Yes and I will start with your triple postings tongue
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by DualCore1: 9:22pm On Jan 15, 2010
Won't say a word as you don't deserve one. (Wise people only).

Well well well.

The conference. Updates so far. . .

Quad asked me to do a signup module a few days back which I only got around doing yesterday cuz of other things i'm working on.
Well erm. . . over the weekend, quad's migrating the site to a CMS. Joomla!
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by MrCrackles(m): 10:27pm On Jan 15, 2010
And how does it depend on me
Wetin be my own
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by DualCore1: 10:30pm On Jan 15, 2010
MrCrackles:

And how does it depend on me
Wetin be my own
FFS new doors! new set of locks!! non-identical key sets!!!
how did crackles get in?
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by MrCrackles(m): 12:07am On Jan 16, 2010
Dual Core:

FFS new doors! new set of locks!! non-identical key sets!!!
how did crackles get in?
Crackles has the master key. . . .
I open doors everywhere with minimal efforts. . . . cool
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by badesemowo(m): 10:50pm On Jan 16, 2010
I WOULD LOVE THIS CONFERENCE TO HOLD ,

naijaweb:

Bade, i haven't accepted PM, but i've asked ola white and he's agreed. I have to meet wt him to clarify some things and get back to u guys.
Yawa, i believe as a moderator u can delete some off topic comments here, right?

1. Mr. Ola White is it possible you formerly accept PM role here ?
2. Is it possible we get a collated document of all the decisions made so far ( those yet to be made ) .
3. I'm glad the website is going up in a CMS , what is the ETA for launch ?
4. By now we should have some sort of project timeline, I really would like to know what I can do to help the conference become a reality

I WOULD LOVE THIS CONFERENCE TO HOLD ,
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by bug24(m): 5:42pm On Jan 18, 2010
I'm still surprised to see that things that were discussed at the early stage of this project is still being discussed. whats going on? yes, we all know we need sponsorship for this project, what are the point people (Quad) doing about this? who have they met with? any hope on getting sponsors?

lets us know whats going on pls. you dont just keep us dieing of anticipation, d thing dey cause dehydration oh. abeg.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by yawatide(f): 6:13pm On Jan 18, 2010
d thing dey cause dehydration oh
silly man tongue
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by naijaweb(m): 8:49am On Jan 19, 2010
Hi guys. Sorry for the delay. Most of the delays boil down to the fact that I and others involved are busy with personal projects, its not a profit driven project, its an 'open source' organizing model we're using and a host of challenges. However, i'll create some time to round up on the project document asap. Thanks.
Bade, i'll need your help with project timelines.
Dualcore, are you serious about those companies? Why point them to the thread when all the info is on the fb group?
I would love to have your input as regards topics to be discussed, activities you would like etc so i can include it in the overall plan. I really want everyone's input in every stage of this project. Thanks.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by yawatide(f): 10:05am On Jan 19, 2010
Yes please, direct any potential sponsors and the like to the facebook page, where you have more control over who posts what. This thread should basically be a "redirect" to the facebook page, IMHO
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by DualCore1: 11:46am On Jan 19, 2010
Me? Companies? When? shocked

All the things i have seriously posted are up here for you to see. Nothing's there about any companies.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by naijaweb(m): 11:26am On Jan 20, 2010
@dualcore What of those you said u pointed this thread to eg zenith foundation and they said they were out.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by DualCore1: 1:06pm On Jan 20, 2010
As you would have noticed, that post was deleted along with the other criminal posts that invaded this thread.
I was only pointing out the fact that interested people (sponsors) would have shown up here and be disappointed with the thread at that time.

You won't understand what I'm saying if you didn't see the other posts that were deleted. I think close to a whole page on this thread was deleted in order to keep it clean.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by naijaweb(m): 3:21am On Jan 21, 2010
Guys, someone just contributed a logo for the conference. Check it out here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=236190201129
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by yawatide(f): 10:29am On Jan 21, 2010
looks splendid smiley
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by naijaweb(m): 12:36pm On Jan 21, 2010
Hello guys. After a long wait, i am pleased to announce to you that the first draft of the NWC project document is out. Pls drop ur emails on d group page to get a copy . You are to edit this copy and provide your input as well as state where you'd like to come in.
Thanks.
Here's the group link: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=236190201129
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by Incarnate: 6:13am On Jan 24, 2010
I have been following this thread to see how things develop. Obviously it is difficult to get something organized with a group of people.

I hope that the poster above is aware to the fact that not everyone is on facebook. What other means will be used to collect addresses for such document?

Joining facebook for me is not an option. Is it ok to post my email address here?

Take a look at this as a reference point.

http://www.fossnigeria.org/

Free open source software conference coming up for the second year in Kano
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by domainsck(m): 4:20am On Jan 25, 2010
Great Question Incarnate
For those of us who have abandoned facebook altogether, How do we get registered for the conference

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Top 5 Blog In Nigeria For Latest Free Browsing Cheats. / I Got An INCREDIBLE Price Offer To Build A Scam Site, Am Confused! Should I? / Wordpress Blog With Smf Forum Integrated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.