Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,289 members, 7,780,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:52 PM

My Shocking Encounter With King's College Students - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Shocking Encounter With King's College Students (462 Views)

Queens College Students Win Big At 2020 CONRAD Challenge Finals / Texas College Students Can Now Carry Gun On Campus, Prof Wears Armour To Protest / My Shocking Encounter With King's College Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Shocking Encounter With King's College Students by Davidflight: 11:07am On Jan 11, 2017
King's College is a household name in Nigeria; A citadel of learning that was once the pride of the then colony. Though it was established after seven others, it outstripped them having been patterned to match the priceless quality of education the then missionaries sought to establish in the country. Henry Rawlings Carr was the grand architect of this. He persuaded the then London Board of Education to build the school in other to stand as a supplement education initiative of missionary societies and a reckoning force in academic excellence with the King's College in London. The efforts, quality time, resources and manpower that the colonial masters put into the establishment of the institution although for their selfish gains, gave birth to most of the best brains the country has ever had. The Soyinkas, Adenugas, Sanusis, Enahoros, Davies, Herbert Mills, Macauleys, J.C Vaughans, and...of course, the list is inexhaustible...are all living testimonies. The transparent scholarships on free tuition and annual grant of 6pounds to deserving beneficiaries, donation of free academic materials to the poor were just few incentives that ensured students drilled themselves for only the best.
108years after, the school is still standing; better off with "seemingly" state of the art academic complex, quality academic equipment and one of the best conducive learning environments in the country. For the quality of students produced now, can we most assuredly preach the same sermon? With the encounter I had this past week with Tolu and Daniel, both SS3 students of the well revered academic hub, I honestly doubt if my answer would be even in the weakest affirmation. For students wanting to sit for their GCE not to know anything about Parts of Speech apart from the normal verbal rhetorical rhyme of the meaning of noun, pronoun and verb, and the simple test of SIMPLIFY in maths (two subjects that are the basis for learning others) pushed me to ask what they've been doing for the past five years of being in the school. Anyway, I can't just make conclusions with such an infinitesimal number, I just hope this isn't the fate of many in the school I most revere.
Pls, visit our Facebook page, Eduland to view more posts.

Re: My Shocking Encounter With King's College Students by dominique(f): 11:17am On Jan 11, 2017
Those are just a couple of dull students. Unity school students are still a bit brighter than their private school peers.

1 Like

Re: My Shocking Encounter With King's College Students by Ayodeleseyi65(m): 11:35am On Jan 11, 2017
Don't Just Judge Like That, I Have A Cousin Tht Goes There,he Is Very Brillant,, Though Brillant Student That Pass Out Of The Revered School Have Made Name 4 Her.

1 Like

Re: My Shocking Encounter With King's College Students by ONITIJU1: 11:41am On Jan 11, 2017
AM NOT SUPRISED, AS THE QUALITY OF EDUCATION IN NIGERIA IS ON THE DWINDLING TIRADE.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Superclean 2005 Toyota Highlander[limited]3 Rolls @ N2.4m 08186921703 / Pls Who Can Help Me With A Copy Of Land Use Act Of 1978 / Types Of Boyfriends On Nigeria Campus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.