Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,717 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:28 PM

Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS (14820 Views)

FG To Probe Jim Obazee's Tenure As FRCN Boss / FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code / Governance Code: Enelamah & Obazee Clash Over Adeboye, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jan 11, 2017
menxer:

thanks for the bolded.
you seem to confuse believing in something and admitting it's existence, they are not the same,that is the point I want you to get

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS by Themandator: 9:47pm On Jan 11, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

Bro every country with their laws na. Haba! I see no wrong in this code, after all, the church is not a personal business of anybody

Christianity or religion is a universal movement and not in one country of the world is the headship determined by government policy. The government everywhere only ensure that their finances are expended in the best interest of the sect and larger society and not channeled into anti state activities

Is the sultan going to step down as the leader of the Muslim community in Nigeria?
Re: Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS by kjhova(m): 9:53pm On Jan 11, 2017
2dugged:
I never aligned both, only made that statement cos atheist find it easier to pick on Christians than Muslims for obvious reasons

And what could this obvious reason be, please pray tell?
Re: Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jan 11, 2017
kjhova:

And what could this obvious reason be, please pray tell?
do you know what is classified as blasphemy in islam and do you know what happens to people that are said to blaspheme against Islam?, if yes,then that your question was uncalled for

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS by oruma19: 10:24pm On Jan 11, 2017
INTROVERT:
Spot on. Others may seem to disagree. I expect a rejoinder soon.
I was ashamed when I heard it was suspended. It made me doubt the sincerity of this gvt. Buhari is there to do the right thing and not to make people happy. The so called GOs have created an empire for themselves and not for God. This also includes Muslim clerics that are either too old or have stayed in power for too long. Nigerian pastors pay tax in the UK but when they come to Nigeria they will be fighting against laws that are supposed to bring sanity to the system. where should u actually pay tax or obey laws if u r sincere, is it not in ur own country? We cannot be suspending the law of the land because of one person. That's not justice. I pity Nigeria. We are not ready to grow yet.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS by kjhova(m): 10:29pm On Jan 11, 2017
2dugged:
do you know what is classified as blasphemy in islam and do you know what happens to people that are said to blaspheme against Islam?, if yes,then that your question was uncalled for

Christians have killed as many in time past. It is not new to me that religious folks can be that intolerant.

Cajoling an atheist into fear and silence doesn't make him any less an atheist. That said, there are many atheists in the Arab world who see through the shenanigans of Allah hu Akbar and all. That they remain closet atheists while publicly professing Islam don't make them less than me.
Re: Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jan 11, 2017
kjhova:

Christians have killed as many in time past. It is not new to me that religious folks can be that intolerant.

Cajoling an atheist into fear and silence doesn't make him any less an atheist. That said, there are many atheists in the Arab world who see through the shenanigans of Allah hu Akbar and all. That they remain closet atheists while publicly professing Islam don't make them less than me .
we are saying the same thing, same reason why atheist fond it easier to pick on Christians and are scared to use that same momentum to criticize Islam

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS by kjhova(m): 10:37pm On Jan 11, 2017
2dugged:
we are saying the same thing, same reason why atheist fond it easier to pick on Christians and are scared to use that same momentum to criticize Islam

I have heard. Original point remains that as an atheist, I have no joy in a church head standing or falling. It Doesn't make any difference to me and thus I don't have to, in your words, "masturbate" to such news.

Regards.
Re: Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jan 11, 2017
kjhova:

I have heard. Original point remains that as an atheist, I have no joy in a church head standing or falling. It Doesn't make any difference to me and thus I don't have to, in your words, "masturbate" to such news.

Regards.
speak for yourself cos I can see your fellow atheist have been masturbating on every topic related to this issue

Anyway

Regards to you too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS by deomelo: 10:47pm On Jan 11, 2017
I agree with and support the OP's assertions.

These churches and pastors are leeches and parasites, the run for profit and parsonal gains multi billion naira enterprises, universities, build and buy mansions all over the world and fly private jets while hiding behind their churches without paying 1 Kobo in taxes, the same taxes for roads, bridges, hospitals, military, police the rest of the society are forced to pay.

I really don't care for the man they sacked, but he shouldn't have been sacked for doing his job.

This is the FG rubbishing and undermining our institutions for padi padi and political reasons and even conflict of interest since the VP belongs to the same church.

They might as well close or terminate this agency if it can not do what it was created to do.
Re: Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS by menxer: 11:14pm On Jan 11, 2017
2dugged:
you seem to confuse believing in something and admitting it's existence, they are not the same,that is the point I want you to get

Here is what you said:
that I don't believe in it doesn't make me an atheist

If I should use your words, then:
"that I don't believe in Allah doesn't make me an atheist"

"that I don't believe in Jehovah doesn't make me an atheist"

"that I don't believe in Vishnu doesn't make me an atheist"

Now who is confused?
Re: Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS by BetaThings: 5:25am On Jan 12, 2017
2dugged:
nope, Christians seems to be the main target and atheist seem to find it easier to pick on Christians cos they know their fate should they use the same momentum to attack Muslims, that is my point

2dugged:
I never aligned both, only made that statement cos atheist find it easier to pick on Christians than Muslims for obvious reasons

1. I want you to state with concrete examples why you believe that atheists cannot attack Muslims
2. I also want you to disprove with concrete examples this assertion I am now making that Muslims are actually attacked more than Christians
Re: Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS by ladgentle(m): 6:12am On Jan 12, 2017
greenpasture:

Let me address your initial post here. I completely agree with you that non profits should be regulated and I agree with you that churches are not specifically targeted. Neither are the thousands of private trusts and foundations managed directly by families under wills, Deed of gifts or settlement.

This is the problem.

The Code is part of the dysfunction of Nigerian government similar to a civil defence official arresting you for not having a fire extinguisher in your car. It is an abuse of office and of the law and sound societies are not built this way.

1. The NFP code is not promulgated law. It did not pass through NASS neither did it require or receive the assent of either GEJ or PMB. It is a guidance code without any sanction for breach whatsover. And why would this be? Perhaps because it contains no sanctions or enforcement power. Let us go to point 2.

2. The FRCN is NOT the body tasked with supervising NFP management structures or governance. This is admitted by the FRCN in clause 35 of the code. It only has remit for financial statements. The body tasked with Managing companies AND NPF's is the corporate affairs commission, the Federal Inland Revenue ( FIRS). The latter issues them with Tax Exemption Certificates while the former supervises and investigates their operations under pursuant to sections 315(2) and 606 of the CAMA where the interest of the public so demands.

3. The code published by FRCN ( being at best subordinate orders or guidance/practice notes has attempted to amend two pieces of superior Federal legislation by fiat. Namely the CAMA and the Trustee Investments Act without legislative approval and without reconciling conflicting clauses Without first amending these two pieces of legislation through the NASS the FRCN code is void to the extent of such inconsistency.

We need to avoid getting trapped in the matrix here. Many people including myself feel upset with the way many religious bodies comport themselves. Anti church sentiment is high because of the opaque way many of them manage money and especially their failure to translate this into better lives for the poor in society. Many others see this as an opportunity to score political points - blaming GEJ or PMB. This is also part of the cleverly constructed Nigerian matrix that gets people to waste their energies and focus. What is really important is that things be done legally - this is the foundation of a just society

The FRCN over reached its powers and created a potential legal traffic jam. Happily it has been resolved for now. May I also point out that many private Foundations and Family Trusts would have been affected with the loss of international donor support and the inability of Trustees to provide for beneficiaries ( many of them aged people and under aged children)

I have enjoyed reading many of your posts and I like the way you try to isolate key points for the reader. I wish you a prosperous and fulfilled new year.

What an intelligent submission! People like you are the reason people like me still visit nairaland.
Re: Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS by ekpotek: 6:41am On Jan 12, 2017
wolfash:
@OP
Thanks for the eye opener.
I agree with some of what you wrote.
But with all due respect and information available to me, I am yet to come across any official statement where RCCG spoken against the government, I know a lot of Christians who attends pentecostal churches who are angry with the government before now used the medium to accuse the government of bias and trying to break the bones of Christianity in the country.
And let's not forget this is Nigeria, not USA, we are sensitive when it comes to religion, because we are still working on our coalition and unlike most countries, we have almost equal number of Christians and Muslims in Nigeria, which gives room always for suspicion and sensitivity.

Lastly, I don't know if you are a Christian and if you are whether your own denomination uses the same organisational structure as RCCG and most pentecostal churches (meaning you could be catholic, Anglican, etc), but which ever, I will like to say you can't separate spirituality from the governance of church, if start saying GOs have a specific number of years they must use, then you are saying God doesn't have a say in when a Christian leader should hand over like we saw severally in the bible, citing Moses, Elijah, etc as example.

Thanks

The only thing aspect of this code I have found offensive is setting tenure limit for head of church/mosque. By the way can some tell me the tenure limit of the Pope who is the head of Roman Catholic church?
Re: Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS by BetaThings: 7:18am On Jan 12, 2017
bundle33:
People of Nigeria shall resist this code and order from administration of clawless buhari..why should u intervene in religious affair...there is a different in politics and religious...interfering is like putting ur eyes in hot pot of soup...clawless Buahri will say he's not concerned and not in ful knowledge of this...We Nigerians shall vote u out come 2019...watch out

The People of Nigeria shall resist this attempt by you to portray as ignorant group

People like you fail to read and understand issues but are quick to jump up and make stunning assertions
It is always "Buhari is clawless" (sic)

Punch reports that the minister had reportedly written the FRCN boss asking him not to implement the controversial regulation but Obazee refused the instruction of the minister.

FRCN boss insisted that the implementation of the regulation would go ahead.

According to the report, the minister’s letter to the FRCN boss was written on October 17, 2016.

He said: “There is an issue with the new code of corporate governance and the minister wrote the Financial Reporting Council and told the council not to execute it because a lot of people from the private sector have complained about it.

“So, the minister wanted to look into it and see what the issues were. He (FRCN boss) was asked not to go ahead with executing it. There is a controversy on that FRCN issue and we are now looking into the matter to know what the issues are before we can finally take a decision. This is where the matter is currently.
https://www.naij.com/1081511-war-controversial-law-reportedly-prompted-adeboyes-retirement.html
Re: Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS by Nobody: 7:22am On Jan 12, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

Bro, the FRCN has regulatory powers, it is ridiculous not to allow them do their job.

the court ruling gave the regulations legitimacy, but if NASS say they want to look at it, then I wonder whether Nass want to take the powers to regulate NGOS

The power to regulate NGO's lies solely with the CAC. FRCN is NOT a regulatory body. This is why it has NO enforcement powers and has to rely on others like the CAC, SEC, CBN and FIRS. It was the old National Accounting Standards Board. It is advisory and educative. It is trying to become a regulatory body by expanding its remit and has now experienced rightful push back. It's not the first push back it is experiencing - CBN and SEC were the first and now it is the MoT ( it's supervising ministry) and now the FGN

I am certain that the new chairman Dotun Sulaiman will do an excellent job. I worked under him for several years at Arthur Andersen ( now KPMG) and he is highly cerebral and principled. What we expect from the FRCN is persuasive power. It should be issuing guidance notes on difficult areas of accounting practice and ensuring that all financial accounts are standardised; easy to understand for shareholder and investor. It can issue censure notes. A word of censure from it should be enough. Unfortunately there is no belief in this type of institution in Nigeria.

We are essentially still a militarized people who believe in authority only if it comes with a stick. This is why people obey policemen only if they carry guns. It isn't our fault - we were moulded into it by decades of military rule. But it is our individual responsibility to come out of it from the way we train our children to the way we run our companies. This is the only way we can weaken those in government who wish to oppress us - by not giving them wood for their fires. The search for controlling power and recognition is the bane of our country. When we as people begin respecting quiet authority we will get the positive changes we seek.

Good morning.
Re: Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS by Nobody: 8:08am On Jan 12, 2017
menxer:

Here is what you said:
that I don't believe in it doesn't make me an atheist

If I should use your words, then:
"that I don't believe in Allah doesn't make me an atheist"

"that I don't believe in Jehovah doesn't make me an atheist"

"that I don't believe in Vishnu doesn't make me an atheist"

Now who is confused?
the difference between me and you is that I do recognize it's existence unlike you atheist who deceive yourselves by trying to dispute the existence of God, if you are not trying to be mischievous, why take the first sentence and throw away the explanation I gave to buttress my point? , now let me point out your confusion and make it very clear for you , there is a difference between " I don't believe in God " and God does not exist ",so my friend don't try to be sneaky by taking the first line of my post, it doesn't tell well of you
Re: Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS by Nobody: 8:19am On Jan 12, 2017
BetaThings:

1. I want you to state with concrete examples why you believe that atheists cannot attack Muslims
2. I also want you to disprove with concrete examples this assertion I am now making that Muslims are actually attacked more than Christians
before I reply you, are you a Muslim or an atheist?
Re: Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS by menxer: 8:46am On Jan 12, 2017
2dugged:
the difference between me and you is that I do recognize it's existence unlike you atheist who deceive yourselves by trying to dispute the existence of God, if you are not trying to be mischievous, why take the first sentence and throw away the explanation I gave to buttress my point? , now let me point out your confusion and make it very clear for you , there is a difference between " I don't believe in God " and God does not exist ", so my friend don't try to be sneaky by taking the first line of my post, it doesn't tell well of you

My question was well defined, I never asked about existence but believe, which you answered. I don't see how sneaky I was in asking that.

Your answer was simple, concise and cannot be misconstrued, so why the digressional explanation about existence?

@bolded, is that an attempt at emotional blackmail?
Re: Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS by Nobody: 9:06am On Jan 12, 2017
menxer:

My question was well defined, I never asked about existence but believe, which you answered. I don't see how sneaky I was in asking that.

Your answer was simple, concise and cannot be misconstrued, so why the digressional explanation about existence?

@bolded, is that an attempt at emotional blackmail?
we are saying the same thing, you cannot associate believe with atheism rather "acknowledging the existence" is what atheism stands for, seems you don't know the difference between the two, go back and read mark's response to the Facebook user's question,maybe you will get a clearer picture, and you should also find out the concept of atheism too, stop confusing the two and by extension confusing yourself as well, I don't know how else to explain to you,have a nice day
Re: Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS by menxer: 8:39pm On Jan 12, 2017
2dugged:
we are saying the same thing, you cannot associate believe with atheism rather "acknowledging the existence" is what atheism stands for, seems you don't know the difference between the two, go back and read mark's response to the Facebook user's question,maybe you will get a clearer picture, and you should also find out the concept of atheism too, stop confusing the two and by extension confusing yourself as well, I don't know how else to explain to you,have a nice day

There is an angle to this argument that I wanted to avoid, but you are pushing it there.

If you say: "that I don't believe in it (Baal), doesn't make me an atheist," and an atheist by "your" definition is one who doesn't "acknowledge the existence" of God or gods.

It therefore means that since you are not an atheist, and you acknowledge the existence of Baal, and existence by definition means "the fact or state of living or having objective reality." It therefore means that Baal is a living God. This by extension means you don't believe in a living God.

And that being the case, it means the claim that the Christian God (Jehovah/Yahweh) is the only living God is a fallacy.

this will take us to polytheism which is in direct contravention of the Christian monotheism, are you ready to go there?

As used here, "God" is singular while "gods" is plural. Same as "Orange" doesn't taste differently from "oranges."

Hope you had a great day? grin
Re: Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jan 12, 2017
menxer:

There is an angle to this argument that I wanted to avoid, but you are pushing it there.

If you say: "that I don't believe in it (Baal), doesn't make me an atheist," and an atheist by "your" definition is one who doesn't "acknowledge the existence" of God or gods.

It therefore means that since you are not an atheist, and you acknowledge the existence of Baal, and existence by definition means "the fact or state of living or having objective reality." It therefore means that Baal is a living God. This by extension means you don't believe in a living God.

And that being the case, it means the claim that the Christian God (Jehovah/Yahweh) is the only living God is a fallacy.

this will take us to polytheism which is in direct contravention of the Christian monotheism, are you ready to go there?

As used here, "God" is singular while "gods" is plural. Same as "Orange" doesn't taste differently from "oranges."

Hope you had a great day? grin
Oga leave me alone,i have made my point, goodnight
Re: Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS by menxer: 9:47am On Jan 13, 2017
2dugged:
Oga leave me alone,i have made my point, goodnight

What point did you make?

Hahahahahahahaha

Thou shall not run for there is no hiding place from the Truth.
Re: Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS by Nobody: 10:00am On Jan 13, 2017
menxer:

What point did you make?

Hahahahahahahaha

Thou shall not run for there is no hiding place from the Truth.
truth?, hehehehe, make no mistake, I am not running, but when i see that the delusion of a person is beyond redemption, I have better threads to comment on than to spend days pointing out one same thing over and over to you, adiós
Re: Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS by menxer: 10:28am On Jan 13, 2017
2dugged:
truth?, hehehehe, make no mistake, I am not running, but when i see that the delusion of a person is beyond redemption, I have better threads to comment on than to spend days pointing out one same thing over and over to you, adiós

I feel the same way too.
Re: Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS by FactualSpeech: 12:08pm On Jan 15, 2017
Wiseandtrue:
Get it right, Its a Non Governmental Organization (NGO) therefore government have no right to meddle in their affairs.
Government self wey dey meddle have they done their duty(ies)
How have they helped the masses they are leading abeg they should face governance and do it well.
They should lead an exemplary life undecided others will follow abi no be so

u mean all non government organizations including private firm has no relationship with the government

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2019: Igbo Group Plans One-Million-Man March For Buhari / Buhari Hosts H.E Marcel De Souza, President Of ECOWAS Commission / Fredrick Nwabufo: Where Is Magu? Used, Dumped And Forgotten

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.