Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,637 members, 7,801,843 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:43 AM

Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land (33332 Views)

BREAKING: Senate Stops Nigerian Customs Vehicle Duty Ultimatum / Reps To Buhari: Suspend Ban On Importation Of Cars Through Land Borders. / Buhari Bans Importation Of Vehicles Through Land Borders,Nigerians React(Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by galaxy2020(m): 2:59pm On Jan 11, 2017
Good one, do u know how much it cost to bring in vehicles through the port?
Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by naturalwaves: 2:59pm On Jan 11, 2017
So, most commentators failed to read the body of the message but read just the headlines. The importation of tokunbo vehicles through land have not been stopped. The importation was just paused momentarily for 3 months to give those that have placed orders enough room to finish off their transactions. The headline was misleading.

6 Likes

Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by idupaul: 3:02pm On Jan 11, 2017
lifestyle1:
Only if you know the millions of naira customs have lost within the ban period from illegal importation.

Only God can save this country.

True because the cars are still coming in one way or the other

1 Like

Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by pasol4real(m): 3:03pm On Jan 11, 2017
Honestly i am yet to see or witness a senate as caring n active as this saraki led senate .
The only good thing in this regime is the senate .
Saraki more grease to Your elbow .

5 Likes

Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by RonJeremy: 3:04pm On Jan 11, 2017
I am beginning to see a President Saraki........ Keep the good work and you may get to the promised land.

1 Like

Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by ZACHIE: 3:06pm On Jan 11, 2017
This is clearly a trespass of executive powers.
Senate is not empowered to legislate on Customs tariffs and duties.
Only the Federal Ministry of Finance has that power. Not even the President.
The Budget Office draws up tariffs and seeks the approval of the Presidency before it becomes law.
I can't find the Senate in this process.
Oversight function does not include override.
Somebody enlighten me please

6 Likes

Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by daveemuobo(m): 3:07pm On Jan 11, 2017
naturalwaves:
So, most commentators failed to read the body of the message but read just the headlines. The importation of tokunbo vehicles through land have not been stopped. The importation was just paused momentarily for 3 months to give those that have placed orders enough room to finish off their transactions. The headline was misleading.
Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by karimcarim(m): 3:07pm On Jan 11, 2017
Thank you the powerful Senate, all of us can't afford new car.kudos to you grin wink cheesy
Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by Ijaya123: 3:08pm On Jan 11, 2017
TANTUMERGO007:
grin The leadership under Senator Saraki remains the best in the history of this nation cheesy

What has that leadership achieved please?
Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by NemzySeries(m): 3:08pm On Jan 11, 2017
Kondomatic:
He's the reason Buhari hasn't placed Nigeria on olx.
Hahahahaha, or even jijii

1 Like

Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by Saint83(m): 3:10pm On Jan 11, 2017
The truth of today's proceeding ....this ban was able to sail through because the plenary was presided by the deputy senate leader..Sarike trial on CCB started today ,so he was absent ....and present in the court.Good one though.
Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by profosa: 3:11pm On Jan 11, 2017
ZACHIE:

This is clearly a trespass of executive powers.
Senate is not empowered to legislate on Customs tariffs and duties.
Only the Federal Ministry of Finance has that power. Not even the President.
The Budget Office draws up tariffs and seeks the approval of the Presidency before it becomes law.
I can't find the Senate in this process.
Oversight function does not include override.
Somebody enlighten me please

I think education is a major problem with Nigerians.Let me repeat myself lord the NIGERIAN SENATE CANNOT BAN OR UNBAN IMPORTATION PROCESS OR TELL CUSTOM WHICH OF HIS PORTS TO UTILIZE FOR WHAT.IF YOU LIKE GO TO COTONOU AND BUY CAR AND THEN TELL CUSTOM AT SEME BORDER THAT THE SENATE HAS UNBAN THE POLICY.U GO CARRY THE CAR FOR HEAD ENTER SEA.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by ofwest47(m): 3:16pm On Jan 11, 2017
Why not most of them are tokunbo smugglers

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by ezra1990: 3:19pm On Jan 11, 2017
jinxet2000:
For one single act, he has become the best. When they buy jeeps everywhere under recession nko? in suffering of the people. Because people like Adeola keeping it real and me shouted at them and they know it will affect their purchase too, they had to lift the ban.

Sometimes first listen to urself before u speak!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by Mrslimblack(m): 3:19pm On Jan 11, 2017
What a senseless government, you no fit produce wheel cover, u dey ban importation of used vehicles. Who is fooling who?
Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by 1stdammy: 3:28pm On Jan 11, 2017
Yeye dey smell, no be so dem stop the planned incresed in data tarrif and later gave the go ahead..........yeye yeye
Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by enigma2007(m): 3:31pm On Jan 11, 2017
profosa:

I think education is a major problem with Nigerians.Let me repeat myself lord the NIGERIAN SENATE CANNOT BAN OR UNBAN IMPORTATION PROCESS OR TELL CUSTOM WHICH OF HIS PORTS TO UTILIZE FOR WHAT.IF YOU LIKE GO TO COTONOU AND BUY CAR AND THEN TELL CUSTOM AT SEME BORDER THAT THE SENATE HAS UNBAN THE POLICY.U GO CARRY THE CAR FOR HEAD ENTER SEA.

Abeg! Help me tell them o! Senseless senate if truly they are interfering with executive function(s).

2 Likes

Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by Fastleader: 3:33pm On Jan 11, 2017
The day Nigerians agree with one voice to hold elected politicians and government and lawmakers full time accountable, tribalism, angering with each other due to supporting of useless political parties and crooks will bring progress.
Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by talk2maurice(m): 3:41pm On Jan 11, 2017
Hmmmm. So you guys use To have small sense at times
Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by toneroto70: 3:43pm On Jan 11, 2017
All you olodos, note that the Senate has no authority to counteract executive policies - remember "separation of powers". A grace period was only granted by the EXECUTIVE and not the SENATE
Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by linearity: 3:54pm On Jan 11, 2017
Can someone please educate me on how Nigeria is governor among the three tiers of government again?

Please, note that my goal is not for or against the above said ban by PMB or the indicated reversal by the Senate. This is purely academic in nature with view to understand Nigeria governance and interactions between the various forms of government.

My understanding is, as the head of the executive branch, PMB is within his rights to place such a ban. Since he shoulders the day to day running of the country and is charged with the responsibilities to make daily policies to effect that.

Now, if the Senate or House, thinks that PMB have over step his boundary and is disobeying existing laws, they have various tools to call him to order...

1. They can take him to court, for the third arm of government to look into the laws and rule.

2. They can pass new bill to call him to order.

There is no indication that, they too him to court over this. That leaves us with option two....but for a Senate bill to become law and override an Executive decision, the same bill must also be pass in the House and signed into law by PMB and if PMB exercise his veto powers, he can veto the bill, which sends it back to the Senate & House for a 2-3rd majority vote to override PMB veto.

There is no indication that, the above process was followed and it is misinformation to assert that, the mere passing of a bill in the Senate automatically stops an Executive policy or order.

or are mine missing something?
Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by fuckingAyaya(m): 3:54pm On Jan 11, 2017
thank u senate Ogun punish this tyrant

1 Like

Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by transient123(m): 3:55pm On Jan 11, 2017
AZeD1:
I don't think the Senate can stop the ban, its not like Customs is under the National Assembly. The best they can do is offer advice.

I wonder ooo. It shows most nairalanders are half baked, not knowing their right from left and they claimed being educated, worst still, they read government in school without knowing the functions of different arms of government, especially the boys and girls from the other side of Niger bridge whose brains are infested with hatrediomiasis, a disease as a result of hatred..... Olodos.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by OBAGADAFFI: 4:02pm On Jan 11, 2017
profosa:

Ogbeni cool down,

The Senate has the power to kick against wrong policies from the Government.

And if the government don't change they, know the right actions to take.

Remember 2017 budget hearing will soon start.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by Viking007(m): 4:12pm On Jan 11, 2017
Kondomatic:
cheesy
Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by Phobia1: 4:12pm On Jan 11, 2017
temitemi1:
where is that senseless president grin... bukola saraki my eero grin grin grin
Guess u don't have data when the executives already did that. They only want to be seen as working meanwhile they are not.
Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by seguno2: 4:15pm On Jan 11, 2017
Does the senate have the constitutional powers to stop the ban?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by seguno2: 4:19pm On Jan 11, 2017
TheFreeOne:
This man has the charisma and intelligence of a leader who'll make a better president. He's got empathy too unlike lipsrsealed

I wonder where the empathy was when he was bankrupting Societe Generale Bank that led to the deaths of many whose life savings vamoosed?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by repogirl(f): 4:28pm On Jan 11, 2017
See as these people are confusing us like this.

Some say senate doesn't have the power to overrule an executive decision. If they don't have the power, then why did they do it? Is it that the senate also doesn't know what they cannot do?

Buharis government is just confused and they are confusing every other person in turn.

4 Likes

Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by Zico5(m): 4:29pm On Jan 11, 2017
Kondomatic:
Just like how Gej And Diesani nearly did. U need sense.
Re: Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land by tammie24: 4:37pm On Jan 11, 2017
Senate just dey blow my head sha....

Correct people!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Two Men Exchange Heavy Blows While Arguing Over President Buhari (video) / Shekau Reads Boko Haram Ideology, Recites Nigeria’s National Pledge In New Video / Presidential Debate: Why Nigerians Disagree With Buhari’s Excuse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.